Macross Frontier Episode 18 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 18  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (No Sheryl! Don't listen to Grace!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (My love of this series ran out long before Frontier ran out of supplies)

NOWHERE in the episode they mentioned Sheryl was a cyborg.

Not mentioned, yes. But there was an image of Sheryl in a capsule/tube like that of Grace's...

As for what the "V-type" infection means, it wasn't revealed yet.

Wasn't it already revealed that V-Type means VAJRA type infection?

post-7862-1218177543_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Never said explicitly in the show.

But come on. It's obvious. They're not gonna have TWO major viruses in the show.

How is it that the v-type virus has different effects on different biological entity?

In the Hydra, it drove it to insanity.

In humans ie Sheryl, it could kill her?? :mellow:<_<

As for what the "V-type" infection means, it wasn't revealed yet.

Since Hydra was mentioned in Mikhail and Klan's conversation I think it's related to it going berserk.

The only other time a virus was ever mentioned in the franchise was in Macross Zero.

In Macross Zero the doctor that came up with the Protoculture theory according to his findings humanity's evolution was manipulated through viral manipulation.

Enter Mao Nome a Mayan native whose blood composition is similar to the Birdman.

The argument of utilizing viruses to manipulate evolution seems to be valid as another miclone race , the Zolans, evolved from marsupials rather than primates like humans.

Assuming of course the V-type is viral not bacterial. The Val Elna or Space Whales brings both beneficial and harmful bacteria to Zola upon their migration. Apparently their graveyard was meant for spiritia regeneration.

Actually, I doubt Sheryl's a cyborg at all. I think the alterations made to her were genetic. Remember the dialogue in the recap episode about her being Fair # whatever it was, in the abscence of having Ranka around, they fiddled with Sheryl's body/DNA to give her the same properties of Ranka (likely the Nome Shamen gene).

Something tells me this is all going to tie in with the flying rocks that you all hated from Zero. But it's obviosuly a process which isn't difficult for Grace to perform, since she wasn't too concerned with loosing either Sheryl or Ranka on Galia 4.

Right now it's looking to me like there will turn out to be some kind of Protoculture Midiclorians, either the virus/crystals in Ranka's belly is the component passed down in the Nome family that lets them control/use PC technology, or something along those lines. Jumping back into pure speculation, the whole deal with the V-Virus may be that Mao's DNA wound up slipping into the populace during the post war cloning. Perhaps what allowed Sara/Mao to control the AFOS/PC flying rocks was a genetic key, likely something the PC could have used to ensure not just anyone could run aorund & pilot their high end bio-tech AFOS like super mecha, but for whateve rreason, perhaps cloning it, or implanting it artificially causes Sheryl's illness.

Cosmo nature indeed. The new wildcard here is that picture being taken in November 2047. The events with the Ginga Kujira happened in Spring 2047 according to the compendium. And yes, I'm still trying to tie that in with things, it could very well be that the completion of the GK/Zolan leftover PC test is what initiated the release of the Vajra in the universe. Both the Vajra & GK have something to do with a biologically bred folding ability. I don't know, but that all seems a bit too coincidental.

Since Hydra was mentioned in Mikhail and Klan's conversation I think it's related to it going berserk.

The only other time a virus was ever mentioned in the franchise was in Macross Zero.

In Macross Zero the doctor that came up with the Protoculture theory according to his findings humanity's evolution was manipulated through viral manipulation.

Enter Mao Nome a Mayan native whose blood composition is similar to the Birdman.

The argument of utilizing viruses to manipulate evolution seems to be valid as another miclone race , the Zolans, evolved from marsupials rather than primates like humans.

Assuming of course the V-type is viral not bacterial. The Val Elna or Space Whales brings both beneficial and harmful bacteria to Zola upon their migration. Apparently their graveyard was meant for spiritia regeneration.

Not spiritia regeneration, more like it still maintained residual spiritia from the falled Ginga Kujira, that in turn the remaining GK sponged a bit off of, as did the local wild life. If it was a natural regeneration spot, it wouldn't have needed the boost from Basara. But I agree, Dynamite looks like it will tie in with things far more than it originally appeared. I still think the V-Type virus has something to do with a genetic key for controlling PC technology.

How is it that the v-type virus has different effects on different biological entity?

In the Hydra, it drove it to insanity.

In humans ie Sheryl, it could kill her?? :mellow:<_<

Hasn't been revealed yet. Ranka obviously has it too, but doesn't seem to be dying. In fact seems like it's the key that allows her to emit fold waves while singing that affects the Vajra. Makes me think that perhaps the doctor trio working together were able to introduce a stable infection into her. Grace working alone doesn't seem to have been as successfull, however.

But it's obviosuly a process which isn't difficult for Grace to perform, since she wasn't too concerned with loosing either Sheryl or Ranka on Galia 4.

Because:

a) Sheryl was a failure.

b) She didn't know that Ranka was the Little Queen.

Btw...

Did Ozma finally realised that Brera is/was Ranka's brother? It seems to me that could have happened... :blink:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Did Ozma finally realised that Brera is/was Ranka's brother? It seems to me that could have happened... :blink:

Seemed to me like he was closer to it last episode, where he was more dimissive of it this episode. Still he looked at the photo. Doubt he can keep telling himself "Nah, can't be..." if they meet face to face again.

The White Whale was estimated to be alive for millions of years.

Well before the Protoculture's dawn 500,000 years ago.

Though I believe those ancient writings on whale bones were Protoculture writings.

Ancient writings which Zolan snakes can read. Much like Guvava with Mylene, Zolan snakes have a telepathic symbiotic relationship with Zolans.

The reason I postulated that Ai-kun was a protoculture creation before was that it has three eyes like a Zolan snake. Also it skips similarly to a Zolan snake.

Cosmo nature indeed. The new wildcard here is that picture being taken in November 2047. The events with the Ginga Kujira happened in Spring 2047 according to the compendium. And yes, I'm still trying to tie that in with things, it could very well be that the completion of the GK/Zolan leftover PC test is what initiated the release of the Vajra in the universe. Both the Vajra & GK have something to do with a biologically bred folding ability. I don't know, but that all seems a bit too coincidental.

Cosmo Nature seems to be a scientific research online magazine... That was the November 2047 issue... ^_^

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

However, a quick search through Google shows that the body text is mainly for Panopticum Array, which is a plug-in for Adobe Illustrator.

So no new insights into the whole V-type infection stuff, unless the best way to manage the illness is through the use of Adobe tools. :blink:

I lol-ed at the Adobe Illustrator text. Good catch!

I was unable to watch it live due to stupid ISP connection but managed to download Horrible Raws and encode it into PSP to bring it to work and watch it the next morning. I was late to work because of this. :lol:

- LION OP....i feel triangular is better despite what most ppl said. And the part whee Sheryl and Ranka sings and runs and gets their clothes "torn off". Macross II OP anyone? Guess its not quite the black sheep of Macross yet.

- Battle 25 is shown on the radar screen but the captain shouts Battle Frontier.....guess both names work.

- Grace...why are you so mean.....and to think u looked so cute and unsure of yourself in the Triangular OP. So Grace reveals that Sheryl will die soon but its not explicitly certain how and why. Some people have mentioned its cause Grace isn't giving Sheryl the pills but I don't think so. I think the pills are actually to provoke the V-Virus rather than cure it since it was revealed in one of the episodes that V is NOT harmful to humans but does cause animals like the Hydra to go berserk. My original theory stands that the V-type virus is actually a way for the Vajra to attempt communications with humans but due to them not understanding human biology or culture, it may have adverse effects. Its in animals like the hydra because they do not know which creature is the sentient one I suppose. Dr. Mao and team tried to perfect the V-type virus to tune it to humans but I guess something happened and 117th fleet was attacked....most possibly due to sabotage. Ranka somehow was the only one with the ability in the end. Makes sense considering Dr Mao is continuing Dr Aries' research on using virus to do funky stuff like speed up evolution etc.

- What's the idea of them folding and stuff? Everyone seems to be excited that they will be folding....they even have a special FOLD OUT sales whatever that's for.

- Cinderella's Horn. I wonder what's this proposal that Luca has for Leon and why the Vajra's attack has tampered with his plans to deploy it.

- Did the episode reveal what Witchcraft 639 really does or are people just speculating that it supresses V type Virus? I thought V-type Virus is harmless to humans and the pill itself is what's causing Sheryl to go sick.

- All munitions-based weapons are totally useless against the vajra. Sad to see the head lasers as usual do absolutely nothing to the enemy. Heck...don't think i've seen any gunpod fire take out the big vajras before in the whole show except in the Triangular OP.

Not spiritia regeneration, more like it still maintained residual spiritia from the falled Ginga Kujira, that in turn the remaining GK sponged a bit off of, as did the local wild life. If it was a natural regeneration spot, it wouldn't have needed the boost from Basara. But I agree, Dynamite looks like it will tie in with things far more than it originally appeared. I still think the V-Type virus has something to do with a genetic key for controlling PC technology.

I did not watch M7 or its derivatives, so what is this GK thing? Thanks!

- All munitions-based weapons are totally useless against the vajra. Sad to see the head lasers as usual do absolutely nothing to the enemy. Heck...don't think i've seen any gunpod fire take out the big vajras before in the whole show except in the Triangular OP.

Uhhmmm...Alto took one down in Episode 14. You know the Red Lobster that had its wings deployed in SPACE!!! :ph34r:

Edited by grss1982

- Battle 25 is shown on the radar screen but the captain shouts Battle Frontier.....guess both names work.

It's also subtitled "Battle Frontier" in katakana on the screen before they cut to Grace and that tech talking on board, and it's labeled as "Battle 25" on all the various radar screens, so yes, both names work.

So if Galaxy has a Macross-class ship, that would probably also be known as Battle Galaxy or Battle 21.

It's also subtitled "Battle Frontier" in katakana on the screen before they cut to Grace and that tech talking on board, and it's labeled as "Battle 25" on all the various radar screens, so yes, both names work.

So if Galaxy has a Macross-class ship, that would probably also be known as Battle Galaxy or Battle 21.

Battle Frontier/Battle Galaxy ftw. Numbers make such boring names!

I did not watch M7 or its derivatives, so what is this GK thing? Thanks!

Ginga no Kujira or Galactic Whales are kilometer long space based creatures that can naturally fold.

Yearly they migrate to the Zola system to replenish their energy via solar energy.

In fact the Galactic Academy compared them to plants. It is dangerous to navigate near Whales as they emit electromagnetic waves. Affecting computers and space craft.

Known as Val Elna to the Protoculture ancestors of the Zolans. Val Elna are a much older species than Protoculture as they've been in existence for millions of years compared to the Protoculture's 500,000 years history.

Under a UNG mandate Whales are a protected species. It is illegal to poach Whales. The reason why poachers, pirates and black market smugglers want Whales is that it's flesh makes fold engines more efficient. Kinda like Vajra aren't they.

In 2047 Zolan scientist named Lawrence proved his theory that Whales are intelligent and sapient creatures thanks to Nekki Basara's singing.

Oh yes Reaction Weapons does squat on Space Whales. They can absorb it's blast.

Edited by RedWolf

Have to rewatch, but I'm pretty sure we have seen several gunpod kills of the red Vajras in the last several episodes.

Graham

Have to rewatch, but I'm pretty sure we have seen several gunpod kills of the red Vajras in the last several episodes.

Graham

I guess that wolfx's statement is valid from the last part of episode 17 until now hehe, since the Vajra evolved and anti-ECA ammunition isn't effective anymore... :wacko:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

- Cinderella's Horn. I wonder what's this proposal that Luca has for Leon and why the Vajra's attack has tampered with his plans to deploy it.

Going by the name "Cinderella's Horn," it would appear to be some sort of amplification system for Ranka. I'm guessing it has something to do with the work Grace was doing on the Frontier's bridge; Ranka will probably end up there, instead of out on the Monster.

I'm not sure all the munitions are useless. The reaction warhead missiles bounced off a red Vajra in this episode, then detonated a short time later. If they had detonated on contact, it probably would have blown the thing away. Instead, it turned into a survivable near miss. Ditto with the Quarter's cannon; the Vajra seem to evade it, not stand up to it. You could probably crank out a few more cycles of effectiveness by tweaking the electronics, maybe.

Since Episode 18 showed that Dr. Mao Nome was the project leader in the 117th Fleet's Vajra Research... Does this mean that she died too during the fleet's destruction? :ph34r:

(Btw... Grace's clothing here looks kinda like Sheryl's... which makes sense...)

post-7862-1218185053_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Since Episode 18 showed that Dr. Mao Nome was the project leader in the 117th Fleet's Vajra Research... Does this mean that she died too during the fleet's destruction? :ph34r:

Quite likely. In fact I had assumed she did so ever since we heard of "Dr. Mao" in episode 10. Ozma was commenting on the irony of Ranka playing her in the movie. Which means they must have had some interaction on some level, and Ozma must have known about it. Given that we knew Ranka was from the 117th fleet... well put 1 and 1 together..

Likely unlike Megaroad 1 we can guess what happened to her.

Unless say Shin and Sara came back and rescued her from the Vajra. :blink:

I gotta say the new opening is pretty sweet. Tones of symbolism in it, which I like. Although I gotta say, if Sheryl Nome suddenly replaced my reflection in a mirror I'd be a bit more surprised than Ranka was. (of course I'm not allowed to say what'd happen after I recovered from the initial shock)

I gotta say the new opening is pretty sweet. Tones of symbolism in it, which I like. Although I gotta say, if Sheryl Nome suddenly replaced my reflection in a mirror I'd be a bit more surprised than Ranka was. (of course I'm not allowed to say what'd happen after I recovered from the initial shock)

You'd look stupid after having smashed your head into a mirror, trying to act on impure thoughts. :p:lol:;)

Uhhmmm...Alto took one down in Episode 14. You know the Red Lobster that had its wings deployed in SPACE!!! :ph34r:

I guess that wolfx's statement is valid from the last part of episode 17 until now hehe, since the Vajra evolved and anti-ECA ammunition isn't effective anymore... :wacko:

Does anyone remember at which point anti-ECA munitions were 1st used? During ep 7? I'm sure there were some gunpod kills but not very explicitly shown. And this ep Pixie Squadron is not deployed. Lack of manpower? :(