Macross Frontier Episode 18 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 18  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (No Sheryl! Don't listen to Grace!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (My love of this series ran out long before Frontier ran out of supplies)

Does anyone remember at which point anti-ECA munitions were 1st used? During ep 7? I'm sure there were some gunpod kills but not very explicitly shown. And this ep Pixie Squadron is not deployed. Lack of manpower? :(

Believe they were first mentioned in the loading scenes of the Macross Quarter at the end of episode 6. So first used in episode 7.

Before that we had seen Vajra go down to:

Being knifed if the head.

The small Vajra often fell victim to Michael's sniper gunpod.

Red lobster was shot through the head by sniper gunpod but didn't die.

Lobster type exploded from being shot by a zentradi energy gun at point blank range through a crack.

Mao's pupil changes color! :ph34r:

This's really odd

In fact, the eye's pupils are always black, so they didn't changed it's color... The iris is the coloured part of the eye, if you mean her eye's color changed, well, It seems to be like it...

In fact, the eye's pupils are always black, so they didn't changed it's color... The iris is the coloured part of the eye, if you mean her eye's color changed, well, It seems to be like it...

I've noticed that sometimes ppl eye color brightens/darkens with age... While changes in eye color of infants are more common, even in adults, eye color changes are seen, most often as a result of exposure to the sun. Sunlight triggers melanin production in the eye, as it does to the skin. Abscence of light reduces it...

(Or maybe is just a coloring mistake...).

^_^

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Hrm, might explain why we haven't seen it in action until now; still working on the model, perhaps. ;)

Or the focus of the virtual model used to date was on the city section and the battle section was just thrown together quickly as they knew they'd be making a more detailed virtual model later.

Take a moment to think about it: the gunship protrusion is how big compared to the battle section, which is how big compared to the city section proper?

Dr Mao Nome! O_O I doubt they would mention her just for sh!ts and giggles.

So I guess this is a huge confirmation that Sheryl must be a relative somehow? Same name as the Nome sisters... looks a bit like Sarah (in earlier episodes, at least)...

Again, awesome Ep. Really felt sad for Sheryl, who is now left in the shadows of Ranka Lee, only to be ignored by the rest of the world, left alone in eternal solitude. :C

Edited by OmegaD3k

Yeah, I'm getting kinda peeved at the Romanization of names around here. "Nome", "Noam", "Norm". MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MIND!

That's because everyone's being Anglicising (Anglicizing), and not romanizing.

シェリル・ノーム = Sheriru Nōmu (Noomu)*

Anglicised, based only on pronunciation, I'd write it as Nohm. But hey, that's pretty similar to Nome (pronounced using the magic E rule, of course).

* See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Japanese (vowels section)

Just the potrusion or the entire gunship? I think the gunship alone is roughly the same as Quarter.

About the "Noam" thing, don't you guys see that those are ** pirated/bootlegs of Sheryls CD?

Which side is Luca on anyway, he's been with Leon all this time not to mention giving him a battle plan.

On another note, I think Nanase x Brera as a couple will do nicely. ^_^

Edited by Morpheus

So I guess this is a huge confirmation that Sheryl must be a relative somehow? Same name as the Nome sisters... looks a bit like Sarah (in earlier episodes, at least)...

Err... Nope? According to Grace's revelation to Sheryl in Episode 18, Grace found Sheryl in the Galaxy slums. Grace gave her the Sheryl Nome name... Sheryl was just an anonymous and homeless orphan girl... Unrelated to Ranka, Ranshe Mei, Dr. Mao, etc...

:rolleyes:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Which side is Luca on anyway, he's been with Leon all this time not to mention giving him a battle plan.

Well, I think you have to go back to the first episode we see Luca meet with Leon, which was back in the early part of episode 14, I believe, when he's getting chewed out over handing the fold booster prototype to his friends.

Having been puzzled by this myself for some time, I've come to the conclusion that Leon shamed Luca into thinking about what he can do to serve LAI's (his family's company) interests. Leon more or less threatened that LAI's ties to the government were being endangered by Luca's actions (which is likely to be very important to a defense contractor). Luca's doing what he can to make up for it.

Luca's probably not being evil here, so much as clueless. Nothing he's done has actually been clearly wrong, given the limits of his knowledge about what Leon and Grace are really up to.

Edited by DeeBot

I think Duke is right, the ventral forward boom/spire is there, it's just a little difficult to see because of the angle. Regardless, it's not like the Battle 25 was meant to be seen for all that long in episode 1; just enough to note it was there.

2nd pic looks like 2 people there, joined at the top of their heads... don't u think? i noticed this the first time i saw it... it looks very eerie... notice the outline of what looks like their hair... and there are more 'pairs' in the background too.

1st pic looks like a further view of the 2nd pic, perhaps the hive core?

It might not extend that high, but that's the general area. It helps a little if you zoom in on the area.

I zoomed it no protusion. You highligthed the starboard side.

B25's bow up until now has been protusionless. The staff added the bow protusion on this ep to make B25 look cooler.

Third bottom protrusion outlined:

macrossfrontiergunshippqf3.jpg

It might not extend that high, but that's the general area. It helps a little if you zoom in on the area.

Well they added what appears to be a pre-igniter to the cannon so that may be the housing for it.

All in all it was nice to see some Battle Frontier lovin in this episode!

They also qualified the differences in power between the Quarter's main gun and the Frontier's and one can assume it is why the Frontier wasn't used until now (why use a sledge hammer to kill a bug when a hammer will do?).

The Quarter is more of an anti-capital ship gun (one on one) while the Frontier's is more of an anti-fleet gun (multiple cap ships).

It definitely seems more powerful than the original Macross gun. However until we see it take on a cruiser, we can't be entirely sure...

B25's bow up until now has been protusionless. The staff added the bow protusion on this ep to make B25 look cooler.

I concur. If you examine the screen cap closely, you can make out the 4 circles of the gun "barrels". Once you've marked those, it's obvious that there can't be any obstructing protrusion similar to the one in the later screen cap.

This is silly, though. Who really cares? :) I mean, I suppose they could have modified the ship to make it extra-badass against the Vajra, but I think this is just an art detail.

Okay let's try it again:

macrossfrontiergunshippde7.jpg

You should be able to see the disconnect from the side (wouldn't it actually be the port side?) and hopefully the tip of the protrusion. And, yes, this isn't a big deal but it's fun to discuss. ^_^

Edited by veffidas

Finally, one thing that's bugging me, have they explained why Ranka is not closeted in the most protected part of Frontier during the fight? Why the hell is she out on the Koeing? Does her singing have a range? If so, may be they can shove fold crystals with the Valks, and have her sing next to a large crystal, and then they are like remote speakers or something

been thinking about this, and the reason is possibly because Ranka is still not able to generate enough energy(?) to project her emotion/song far enough, so they need her to be in the middle of the battle. They could possibly use relays too, but other concerns such as how to configure the relays to be effective for Ranka's broadcast (bandwidth concerns? maybe relays dont work?) etc.

Other Random thoughts:

- I dont think it was ever mentioned before that the Battle 7 was not able to fire in Carrier mode? Max is just a show-off, we all know how he likes robot modes yeah? :ph34r:

- Macross 25 is Macross Frontier... so it makes sense for its name to be Battle Frontier, while having the more 'official' codename of Battle 25 designation: NCV-025. Can't see the designation of Macross Quarter though... ???-001

Tactical screen caps:

snapshot20080808235946vx0.th.jpg snapshot20080809000243os3.th.jpg

- Size comparisons:

Macross Quarter vs Battle Frontier

snapshot20080809000227tt9.th.jpg

Rabbit-1 Koenig Monster on the deck of Battle Frontier... (Tiny :lol:)

snapshot20080809002108kas7.th.jpg

- Battle Frontier pics

Mummy and Baby :wub:

snapshot20080808235453lq2.th.jpg

Bridge

snapshot20080809003135oy2.th.jpg

Is the Admiral and bridge crew located there on the right?

snapshot20080809003202nk6.th.jpg

Grace and Technician at the bottom... (tiny)...

snapshot20080809003240fc1.th.jpg

Right to left text? :p

snapshot20080809003257rz1.th.jpg

- So can we expect a Battle Frontier vs Battle Galaxy finale fight?!! First Macross series where 2 New Macross Class fight each other... :wub:

I requested it but was DENY'D :angry:

That's because you're fickle-minded. who knows what nick u want next week? :ph34r:

Why not try FickleForever? :p

cont'd Random thoughts:

- looks like 蘭雪 美 (Ranshe May) in kanji. 雪露 is Sheryl, 明美 is Minmay, Ranka is probably 蘭something?. guess Ranshe is really a combination of names from Sheryl, Ranka and Minmay. Notice the Vajra specimen in the background, same as the one Alto saw in Macross Global. Same hair color as Ranka.

snapshot20080808235624el2.th.jpg snapshot20080808235718wr5.th.jpg

- Another homage to SDF:M, the episode where SDF-1 was forced to leave Earth, and Minmay was asked to help calm the people in Macross

snapshot20080809004422ry7.th.jpg

- Leon doing his part-time job? :ph34r: This VA is the one doing the Teacher and possibly also Machida (NUNS Diamond force leader) :lol:

snapshot20080809003505hr4.th.jpg

- very eerie screenie. looks like 2 people to me. i got the Macross Zero Birdman vibe too.

snapshot20080808185044ne9.th.jpg

- Eyecatch:

That's the Sagittarius constellation :) Saint Seiya!!! oopps wrong anime :ph34r:

The Frontier fleet is currently in the Sagittarius Arm of our Galaxy (which is in the direction of the constellation of Sagittarius when viewed from Earth). also there's a Sheryl ver of Aimo -.-

snapshot20080808235334ut2.th.jpg

Edited by Shun