Yamato 1/60 v.2 2 seaters

newca

Thing that I noticed right off is that I like the orange MUCH more in the box photography. The orange on the actual toy seems too cartoony and harsh or something. Maybe I'll warm to it.

From the pictures that I've seen, I agree that the colors look oversatured. It definitely makes the 1/60 VF-1D look cartoony. I can't tell if it's just the lighting or if the colors really are that bright.

IMO, Kurt nailed the VF-1D's colors with his custom below.

gallery_221_15110.jpg

I dont get why Yamato sculptors get such a bad rap... I think most of their stuff is great. Plus John designs his stuff to be static.

The last few toys, aside from the priest collar of the 1/60s v.2 have been really exceptional. The Destroids are so awesome.

Besides... I remember a time when MW didnt mind a few innaccuracies... they just popped it open and fixed it.

My -1D still isn't here. Brought my v1 to work for a comparison shoot and everything, and it wasn't here.

I love living in a small town and all, but it really has some disadvantages (once mail comes in to the state it has to go through at least TWO USPS HUBS before it gets to me. And of course, each one has to check to make sure that it's not a box of Yamato-brand Anthrax or something <_< )

Vostok 7

Yeah it's supposed to look cartoony. Kurts customs always seem to be a darker shade to add realism.

You sure about that? The anime VF-1D is a darker shade than Yamato's toy. See the picture for a comparison.

While neither Yamato's nor Kurt's color scheme is 100% anime accurate, I feel that Kurt's color scheme better captures the spirit of the anime. To each his or her own.

I dont get why Yamato sculptors get such a bad rap... I think most of their stuff is great. Plus John designs his stuff to be static.

Relax EXO, I was being sarcastic. Hence the " ;) " emoticon.

post-221-1235709924_thumb.jpg

(the v.2 pic is from me) And to apologize I am no good in taking photos... No good lighting, not a good DC, sucking skills, etc.

The color in the photo a little bit "redder" than the real thing, but kind of close enough. I guess it would be more significant to web designers/ people whose expertises relate to color; but let's just say the actual orange is a little bit paler. And thus more close to the TV color!

I would love to see photo comparisons of the V.1 and V.2 side by side in all three modes.

Also I would love to see a v.2 panel lined. I doubt anyone has taken the plunge yet but if anyone has please post pics.

I am in California and got shipping conf from overdrive same as everyone but still no figure. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow?

I would love to see photo comparisons of the V.1 and V.2 side by side in all three modes.

Also I would love to see a v.2 panel lined. I doubt anyone has taken the plunge yet but if anyone has please post pics.

I am in California and got shipping conf from overdrive same as everyone but still no figure. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow?

Mine should be here tomorrow. I say SHOULD though. I've already got my v1 all set up, soon as the v2 gets here, they're getting compared.

Vostok 7

Mines been sitting in BC for three days! Argh, won't be seeing it until Monday or Tuesday now. 3-4 days my ass! :lol: God I hate living in the middle of Canada somedays.... :( Have to say that I haven't been this excited about getting a VF since my VF-0 (which was my first).

Just got mine this morning. All I gotta say is,,, freakin' awesome!!! It's great to finally see a 2 seater get the proper love it needs. This is one of the best purchases so far this year. Way to go Yamato.

Mine came today! Finally! Uploading some comparison pictures as we speak. I've always loved the mosquito nosed v1 1/60s, but after comparing to to the v2... I really don't like it anymore. The v2 really outshines the v1s and really makes them look like crap! About the only think I still like on the v1 is that the backpack looks more substantial, it's taller and narrower than the v2, the v2's looks kind of "squashed" in comparison. You'll see in the pictures when they are done uploading. Otherwise, the v2 just blows the original out of the water. And the posability is better than the 1/48.

And for once, a transforming Macross toy that's not a floppy mess!

Edit: Forgot one other small thing that I don't like on the v2 compared to the v1, the shoulders feel too small, almost to the point that it feels like it's missing something there.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Picture time! Sorry for the quality, it was the best I could do at the moment.

481911274_y8KuR-XL.jpg

481911834_kBkNb-XL.jpg

481912394_vM5jb-XL.jpg

Interestingly enough, it seems Hikaru's arms are somewhat posable. I didn't do it too much for fear I was actually twisting them off his body, but it seems that they are actually designed to rotate.

481913732_CnLzD-XL.jpg

Flash REALLY distorts the color of the v2's orange. Here it looks almost like bright red. They are actually pretty close in color, with the v1 being a little more pale and the v2 being a little more vibrant. The general fuselage colors are completely different, the v2 is more cream whereas the v1 is more tan.

481916469_Lr2ge-XL.jpg

Here you can see the orange is actually close to some extent.

481915459_GLdGH-XL.jpg

Here's the shot that made up my mind on the nose. I've always liked the v1's "mosquito" nose, but here it looks like an ugly duckling compared to the v2.

481916769_Ect9d-XL.jpg

The v2's GERWALK is so superior to the v1 in just about every way.

481917113_YFQK5-XL.jpg

As I said earlier, I prefer the v1's backpack. Dunno why, just looks better to me. One odd thing about the tamp printing, one side of the gunpod has UN SPACY "upside down" in fighter mode, while the other side is correct (which is upside down in Battroid mode). Kinda weird.

481917490_hFfb6-XL.jpg

481917927_vFtjj-XL.jpg

God, the v1 looks horrible in Battroid compared to the elegant v2. I always thought that the v1's Battroid was pretty good. BLEH, it looks like a chunky monkey in comparison!

481919028_vT7qr-XL.jpg

The v2 stands a tiny bit taller in Battroid mode, and significantly taller in GERWALK than the v1, but the fighter modes are pretty much the same.

Overall, I'm really really impressed. The v2's are EXCELLENT. I will definitely be getting more, that's for sure. Can not wait for the VT-1 and VE-1 to come!

Vostok 7

Great comparison pictures of the two. I sold my V.1 a long time ago so I could only remember how it looked compared to the new one. I still think that the VF-1D was one of the best version one valks, but compared to the new one, it is quite lacking.

Just got mine from Overdrive today (Wow were they ever fast) and I can say that it is better than I thought it would be. Everything is super tight. So much so that I loosened the shoulder screws so that I can pose the arms easier. They were way too tight. Yamato has really hit their stride with this one.

Time to save up for Max...

Cant wait to get mine next week. Now all I need is the VF-1A TV Max and Kakizaki and I am done with the 1/60 VF-1s. I have enough 1/48s so I feel as though I won't be missing anything as more stuff is released. I am not nor do I have the funds to be a completist. Besides I still love the 1/48s. I did get the 1/60 1J to have the full vermillion squadron soon.

Correction.....I will also be getting the ELINT and maybe the Ostrich. I said maybe because except for the fast packs and some sculpt differences it is not that much different than the Vf-1D.

I've transformed it a couple times and so I thought I'd write a quick review.

This thing is solid in every mode! I can't believe it. And they did it with a minimal amount of fiddly tabs, like the 1/48 and v1 1/60s. The paint looks great and there's a surprising amount of tampo printing (when you look at my photos, the v2 has NO stickers applied). Joints are tight with little "slack" (like the 1/48's knees, for instance). The shoulders are definitely too tight, I might back the screw off a turn. I've watched the hinge quite a bit and it seems solid, no cracks or anything. Doesn't seem like a material that would crack to me, though!

As far as QC, everything is tight and works perfectly on my example. There are a few instances of mistakes on the tampo printing, but not enough to bug me (the UN SPACY on the gun pod, and one of the rings around a handle vernier isn't lined up with the vernier). I mostly can't get over how solid it is in every mode, and how well everything fits together for the transformation. The transformation is complicated and is highly based on the 1/48, but you can really see where they figured out a few things since the 1/48.

Overall I love the -1D. The proportions might not be 100% spot on, but it looks sooooo good in every mode that it's hard to knock it any. Yeah, the cockpit may not be perfect, but it looks so good that you just don't care. Scale seems to be much better than the v1s, the Battroid and GERWALK modes have grown a little in size, and most significantly the pilot figures are now closer to the size of the Mac0 pilots. Also, if you're looking for panel lining, don't let any photos of the v2s fool you, there's TONS of panel line detail, the lines are just VERY fine. It looks much more airplane-like than the deep panel lines of the v1s or even the 1/48s. Some weathering or basic panel lining would go very far to bring the lines out and make it look a little more "detailed".

My only real complaints are mostly with Minmay and the fact that she's not held in by anything in the cockpit. I suppose that's somewhat anime correct, but it's kinda annoying. Also, I'm not a fan of the TV flight suits, much less Hikaru's dashing bandana. I would have been much happier if Yamato had included a set of nameless TV pilots as well (even if the back seat had his legs chopped off) rather than only Hikaru and Minmay. Hopefully there will be a "plain" version coming soon with TV pilots and no tampo printed number so we can have our own two seaters like the v1 1/60.

Also, I think this is the thickest Yamato instruction manual I've ever seen. It detailed EVERYTHING on how to transform, and even nicer, how to get it back in to fighter mode successfully. And of course, every little gimmick and feature explained in detail. Very nice.

I wasn't planning on getting a whole lot of v2s, but this VF-1D is making me think otherwise. I just might have to pick up Max & Kakizaki's DYRL -1As...

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

From the pics the QC on ver.02 looks better 1/60 ver.01

Yeah, my v1 has gotten a little floppy over the years.

I just can't get over how cool the v2 is. It's the first VF-1 toy I've really liked in GERWALK mode, mostly because it can pull it off properly. And both Battroid and Fighter modes look so great. One thing I like about Battroid is that the legs are so elegant and smooth, instead of chunky and "robot-ish" like the 1/48 and v1 1/60. Some people might not like that on the battroid since it caters more to the fighter mode (making it more sleek and fighter-like), but I think it conveys Kawamori-san's idea of a transforming fighter more. Chunky battroid modes try to make the VF-1 look more like a Gundam or a Super Robot, which is fine and all since Kawamori-san's inspiration was Super Robots, but making the battroid mode sleeker and more fighter-like conveys a better sense of a real-robot which is also what Kawamori-san was trying to do.

So, in short, I like the slender legs :D:lol:

Also, I can't get enough of posing this thing. It looks so natural in every mode and so easy to pose and make look good... This is definitely the best VF-1 toy we've ever seen.

Vostok 7