Macross Frontier Episode 8 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 8 rating  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 8 Rating

• Positive (Sheryl's panties! tee hee)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Sheryl's panties and Ranka's "magical bump" are REAL turnoffs)

I'm glad no one reads my posts :p

It's aVF1a (011 on the fuselage, no UN kite nor UN SPACY markings, small Skull insigna just beside the canopy)

Ooops, actually someone posted this in the previous pages. Sorry. Oh, well... I said it first (see page 1) :lol: !

Ranka in carrot suit singing carrot song, I can hear Kou Uraki screaming in UC.

Product9 approves of this reference. :lol:

About the Kawamori/Su-27 thing... I'm pretty sure he draws a lot from Russian (Sukhoi in particular) aircraft for his designs. Also, didn't he imply at some point (jokingly) that the S-37/Su-47 Berkut was based upon the look of the Y/VF-19?

Well, I liked this episode. I'm not one to complain about animation quality, especially since I still think the original SDFM was the best Macross by far. Who cares about the quality of the animation/artwork? That's superficial. It's the characters, plot and excecution that matters. Aren't we just getting to spoiled by modern animation techniques? Just look at DYRL? and how fantastic that was. I think it should be renamed SDF Macross: Do You Remember Pencils?

Eagerly awaiting next week's ep because it seems like it's going to be more heavy than the previous ones. Now, I'm all for light hearted stuff, too, but the heavy stuff really defines the characters.

Edited by Product9

Uh, nope.

That thing looks too much AFOS-ish. B))

You gotta (re)watch Zero again and then compare. Especially the last episode, as you can tell the actual form (with skin) is really quite different from the Frontier lobsters. At least, with the lobsters shown so far.

Is obvious that thing is the AFOS

I rewatch Zero last week and for this I was wondering about it, there are other factors like the living machine (weapon). Remember that the AFOS has blood and it was used in Mao Nome.

Galaxy fleet is missing, either they escaped the Vajra or the Vajra captured it. This confirm that Dulfim is the only survivor from Galaxy.

Megaroad anyone? :ph34r:

Is obvious that thing is the AFOS

I rewatch Zero last week and for this I was wondering about it, there are other factors like the living machine (weapon). Remember that the AFOS has blood and it was used in Mao Nome.

Wait until u watch Episode 10... ^_^

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Whoa... well.. I wouldn't necessarily say that the AFOS looks like the vajra...

But what I would say is that the head looks a bit like the VF-27's head in that particular pic. I don't remember if it did later, but the visor shape seems very similar just from that picture

blah, just as i expected. the name tell you everything.

what a lousy one.

there is nothing in here, there is the worse song up to now.

the worse dress, ranka look horrid on that new school uniform. the old one is much better.

sheryl look like drag on that school uniform.

cant they introduce that cyborg kid?

sheryl make so many holes in the wall, but she seem to be fine.

how can alto lost the earing ? that is center to the show.

it can transmit song 15 light years away.

how can you lose such a thing.

why dun he put it in his pocket instead of on the plane?

i think 8 really a let down from the brillant 1 to 3, very good 4-7, and disasterous 8.

it did not do it for me, what a let down. no story, not funny, not interesting, lousy song.

Reality check time I think.

Listen. Its just a show meant to entertain you. Don't get too worked up. :wacko:

Taksraven

I'm glad no one reads my posts :p

It's aVF1a (011 on the fuselage, no UN kite nor UN SPACY markings, small Skull insigna just beside the canopy)

Do we know if its a 1S or J?

Taksraven

Perhaps all these screen times between Alto and Sheryl will enable Alto to realize that she isn't for him at the end, much like Minmei and Hikaru was? :ph34r:

They seem a lot more suited to each other than Minmei and Hikaru ever were and with Sheryl being a star already they won't have any issues about stardom like those 2 did. Heck the main problem with Minmei and Hikaru was the time spent apart and with Sheryl signing up for a piloting class that's not going to be an issue here. Also Sheryl understands why Alto wants to fly (episode 5 conversation, episode 7 statement (If a pilot has to" etc and signing up to pilot herself) which is something Minmei never did.

Ok, after finally catching up I see some interesting things in this episode.

I did a double take on the injured person in the UN Spacy uniform. It actually looked more like Misa's uniform in SDF:M but who knows, it may just be standard.

And yea, wolfx and the like, I'M WATCHING YOU!!!! :lol: *poke poke...... poke*

Beyond the humour of this episode, which some hardliners will readily latch on to as ammo against this episode (Do some people hate laughing?), this was also a character exposé episode as well. The theme behind the ep seemed to be how each of the three main characters are coming out of the shells they built around themselves due to the relationships they have formed. Alto has to drop the mask he wears at school of the "Ice Princess" when he's embarassed by having everyone thinking he's dating Sheryl, and then again when he rushes off to save Sheryl with his EX Gear. With Sheryl, we get a continuation of her softening character since the incident in ep 1 ("No fans!"). We're also shown that Sheryl dislikes being bad at anything, to the point of joining Mihoshi Academy's pilot program to master the EX Gear (with the ulterior motive to be close to Alto, I'm sure). Ranka is shown to be getting stronger, unwilling to take Sheryl's help to reach her dream, instead taking the hard path. Also enrolling in Mihoshi to be with Alto shows her new found boldness, even though it's shortly crushed by the arrival of Sheryl.

As much as the episode was silly antics, the character developments in this episode would make it hard for someone to skip it and not feel a bit lost.

They seem a lot more suited to each other than Minmei and Hikaru ever were and with Sheryl being a star already they won't have any issues about stardom like those 2 did. Heck the main problem with Minmei and Hikaru was the time spent apart and with Sheryl signing up for a piloting class that's not going to be an issue here. Also Sheryl understands why Alto wants to fly (episode 5 conversation, episode 7 statement (If a pilot has to" etc and signing up to pilot herself) which is something Minmei never did.

Maybe, but we won't know until later episodes. After all, from M0, SDFM, M+ and M7, all had different ending.

Isn't that a very early image of the VF-25 from a year ago? I believe it was in some promotional trailer... (It seemed to have old UN Spacy logos too... Before the whole NUNS/SMS thing was shown...).

Yes, that's a the pre-production colors of the VF-25, taken from the Macross Frontier trailer way back in last year. It's not an official color scheme.

Funny coincidence. I was listening to France Gall's "Poupee de cir, poupee de son" on my MP3 player just before watching this, and right at the intro, Ranka begins to sing this carrot song which sounds ALMOST IDENTICAL to that song.

Laissez tomber les filles, man, laissez tomber les filles...

(In other words, nice to meet another France Gall fan...she's adorable.)

nah, i was waiting for a version without the MBS words at the top. :p

...And I was waiting for a version without a towel covering Nanase's top.

I heard that the studio this week wasn't the Filipino one but a Thai one. Wow....i can't wait for the Malaysian studio one. :rolleyes:

Serious? They actually subcontracted to that many? I presumed only Koreans were involved!

I heard that the studio this week wasn't the Filipino one but a Thai one. Wow....i can't wait for the Malaysian studio one. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: You just can't get animation off the brain. Try not focusing on that for a change.

Edited by MisaForever

tres awesome.

But I'm confused...

be this a high school drama or a space opera? :blink:

I think this scene from family guy best answers that question:

Doctor: Mr. Griffin, you're fine.

Peter: Oh now you're coming on to me?

Lois: Peter, he's not coming on to you, he's telling you you're healthy!

Doctor: Can't it be both?

Beyond the humour of this episode, which some hardliners will readily latch on to as ammo against this episode (Do some people hate laughing?), this was also a character exposé episode as well.

It's the same crowd that the more dramatic tone of Macross Plus or the grim, rather unlikeable characters of Mac Zero are more realistic and thus how the franchise should be.

While I've never had a gorgeous blonde chasing a panty stealing lizard around in a piece of military power armour, this episode I think best captures the interactions of pilots in their non-flying time. There's tons of jokes, goofing off, people running around in their underwear, ball-busting, playing pranks in juvenille fashion, etc. I could relate to it aside from the high school setting (and attractive girls.) And while I would never want Shin or Isamu in my unit, these SMS guys would fit right in.

Edited by Vinnie

This sounds like an interesting episode, can't wait to see it. A couple of quick points, one thing I notice more and more about Kawamori's designs on VFs, the nose of all the VF are highly reminiscent of the SU-27 nose design, I wonder if Kawamori is a fan. It's the case for the -17, the -25, and the -27.

I think you mean the YF-19 or VF-19, since the VF-17 and the VF-171 are based of the F-117 Nighthawk. ^_^

Also...I believe the VF-11 is also (well somewhat) reminiscent of the SU-27 nose as well. :mellow:

BTW, I'm surprised. I thought I was gonna see a lot of people raging about the animation quality. :ph34r: Heck I even expected more negative votes in this episode. :ph34r:

But, I guess its good to be wrong sometimes. :lol:

Edited by grss1982

Any reasons why Cathy starts to blush when Ozma enters her room?

Leon was asking her out as Ozma walked in. She also complains that Ozma's handwriting is as bad as ever so he gets back at her by asking if she hasn't gotten more crow's feet. :lol:

Edited by ackem