Macross Frontier Episode 8 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 8 rating  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 8 Rating

• Positive (Sheryl's panties! tee hee)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Sheryl's panties and Ranka's "magical bump" are REAL turnoffs)

This sounds like an interesting episode, can't wait to see it. A couple of quick points, one thing I notice more and more about Kawamori's designs on VFs, the nose of all the VF are highly reminiscent of the SU-27 nose design, I wonder if Kawamori is a fan. It's the case for the -17, the -25, and the -27.

As for this episode, I wonder if may be this is how Sheryl gets knocked off eventually (assuming that it does happen)... she flies a VF, and as she is humming along, someone shoots her plane and blows her up. That would be a very fitting end and a way for Kawamori to atone for the awful Firebombers and M7... sorry, singing on stage is one thing, but singing while piloting and dodging missiles is just a bit too much.

Sounds like a nice filler episode, would like to see the relationship between our favorite Loli and Mikhail explained more... ha ha, may be she's his "older sister"

Btw, that was the best eyecatch EVER. I musta watched it about 5 times :lol:

grumble....grumble....grumble.......making the Vajra seem less dangerous.........grumble........grumble

Taksraven

... sorry, singing on stage is one thing, but singing while piloting and dodging missiles is just a bit too much.

Hehehe I agree. But you would be amazed what people can do while also singing. :lol: But dodging missiles... <_< I will agree with you.

I also can't wait for next weeks episode. Looks like action picks up.

yeah its probably gonna be an english name following the trend of his other 'toys'. :lol:

dont worry, its ok. its normal. :ph34r:

what's the name of your computer? and TV? :p

on hindsight: OMG... we do name our computers :blink:

I haven't named any aircraft, but I talk to one of my helicopters, 556. Me and her (this one has a female personality) have come to an understanding: "I like to fly and so does she." So while 556 will give other pilots problems and break, we always get to go flying. I've logged half of my flight time over the past year with her. I just talk nice to her and have a gentle touch. ^_^

Perhaps I can convince the crew chief to let me name 556, Sheryl. :rolleyes:

Oops! Forgot to make my comment on the episode:

Definitely remniscent of some of the Evangelion episodes, although I think that led to my enjoyment of this one even more. It played off my sense of nostalgia and humor at the same time, and filled the empty void left by last week's mecha pr0n. I can't wait for the subtitles so I can get some of the jokes and key info, although this one was great without them. Absolutely loved the eyecatch! I laughed...a lot.

On the relationship front, we're a third of the way into the series, and I just don't see any sort of a Alto - Ranka love triangle. I mean she's so far behind at this point for winning him over and Sheryl-Alto looks to be a solid pairing after this ep. I'm guessing the only catalyst for change here

is the arrival of Brera Sterne. Perhaps he'll be the catalyst for the real change in the character relationships. Although, that'd be really superficial: "I want Ranka because I don't want him to have her?"

Edited by Vinnie

Hehehe I agree. But you would be amazed what people can do while also singing. :lol: But dodging missiles... <_< I will agree with you.

I also can't wait for next weeks episode. Looks like action picks up.

At least this time it'll be with a proper HOTAS setup and not some guitar acting like a flight stick.

It would be weird if Sheryl turns out to be the ace pilot in this series. Ozma gets killed in a pineapple salad episode and Sheryl becomes Skull Leader. Take that Alto Hime! :lol:

Nah, Sheryl will end pilot a König Monster while she sings xD

At least this time it'll be with a proper HOTAS setup and not some guitar acting like a flight stick.

Indeed. I don't even want to think of how the guitar controls the music AND the plane.

Anyways, the Eyecatch was hilarious, but is it only me, or do the hammer heads kinda remind you of sp3rm? (can I say that word? :unsure: ) Like Homer Sp3rm... but in Vajra form...<_<

Piloting a valk while dodging missile CAN have an effect on your vocal cord, unless you have stereo speaker installed on your throat.

Well, I thought it was cool that they decided to make an (almost) all-comedy episode...and I think the animation in this one is better than it looks.

1. RANKA KNOWS BRERA ALREADY!!! :o *wonders how this will play out*

2. I join a few others in thinking that the Carbunkle panty thief is perhaps more sinister than it appears.

3. I love how Luca gives all of his mecha Biblical names...

4. BEST. EYECATCH. EVER!

5. The art may have looked weird in this one, but there ain't nothin' wrong with the shower scene... :wub:

6. And ニンジーン is loved by me yeah!

Not the best of episodes overall, but hey...the stated themes of the series were "battle" and "school life," so we should've seen one like this coming. For all the things "Macross High" COULD'VE been, we're pretty lucky to have it be this, I think.

Indeed. I don't even want to think of how the guitar controls the music AND the plane.

Move forward and back for pitch, up and down for roll (and ROCK!!!,) pedals still control yaw (and distortion effects,) whammie bar controls the throttle. From an engineering and aviation perspective the guitar HOTAS doable (maybe even kind of cool) and doesn't challenge my suspension of disbelief anywhere near as much as the idea that a PMC would have to hire high school kids.

Move forward and back for pitch, up and down for roll (and ROCK!!!,) pedals still control yaw (and distortion effects,) whammie bar controls the throttle. From an engineering and aviation perspective the guitar HOTAS doable (maybe even kind of cool) and doesn't challenge my suspension of disbelief anywhere near as much as the idea that a PMC would have to hire high school kids.

Well maybe they are special cases since they are also enrolled into the flight thing they do at school. Interns that get to "test" newest fighters? Seems far fetched too, but I prefer that over the Guitar. ^_^

Guess the kids have bad luck since they signed the contract and that clause was enacted. :mellow:

On the relationship front, we're a third of the way into the series, and I just don't see any sort of a Alto - Ranka love triangle. I mean she's so far behind at this point for winning him over and Sheryl-Alto looks to be a solid pairing after this ep. I'm guessing the only catalyst for change here

is the arrival of Brera Sterne. Perhaps he'll be the catalyst for the real change in the character relationships. Although, that'd be really superficial: "I want Ranka because I don't want him to have her?"

Well yeah I agree pretty much with what you think so far, as for the catalyst...

if Brera is the reason Alto gets interested in Ranka than all my money goes to Sheryl winning.

This sounds like an interesting episode, can't wait to see it. A couple of quick points, one thing I notice more and more about Kawamori's designs on VFs, the nose of all the VF are highly reminiscent of the SU-27 nose design, I wonder if Kawamori is a fan. It's the case for the -17, the -25, and the -27.

As for this episode, I wonder if may be this is how Sheryl gets knocked off eventually (assuming that it does happen)... she flies a VF, and as she is humming along, someone shoots her plane and blows her up. That would be a very fitting end and a way for Kawamori to atone for the awful Firebombers and M7... sorry, singing on stage is one thing, but singing while piloting and dodging missiles is just a bit too much.

Sounds like a nice filler episode, would like to see the relationship between our favorite Loli and Mikhail explained more... ha ha, may be she's his "older sister"

It's clear Kawamori & Yasuhito Kikuchi actually like 7, as they've paid tribute to it several times in this show. So I doubt they'd use any knocks against it to take out Sheryl. Besides which, singing & dodging missiles is hardly a stretch compared with singing & driving.

What about battroid? :ph34r:

I definitely think he's a fan of Russian aircraft design, another notable point is that, with a few exceptions (the VF-22, which, even then was based on the YF-21), most of the fighters since Macross Plus are odd numbered which is similar to how MiG numbers its aircraft.

Edited by d3v

Not that I've ever gone OT before, but...

Can someone please explain why we're talking about how the Fire Valkyrie is controlled...? :blink:

Because Sheryl

enrolling in the pilot program led some people to suggest that we may see her behind the controls of a VF-25Kai

so the mechanics of the controls don't necessarily apply to just the VF-19Kai. ^_^

And for Battroid, same as the normal HOTAS controls the Battroid, just do the same translations for Guitar HOTAS. Which still makes way more sense than SMS's human resources department.

Duke Togo....you're sarcastic aren't you? On MW, i can't tell anymore.

I will not.....WILL NOT....comment on the animation here. And please God help you, nobody tempt me. I'm looking at you, Misaforever. :p

Anyway storywise, I personally felt the filler episode could've been used abit more productively. Like maybe a normal day at "Minovsky" Academy where the celebrity visits could've been good enough. At least we could've seen what goes on when Skull Squadron isn't on duty and doing what normal highschool kids are supposed to instead of a strange "hijinks" episode reminiscent of the Code Geass chase-the-cat episode.

Afteralll, Kawamori did promise that this will be a highschool romance + Space Opera show. But who knows maybe later episodes will explore this aspect more. The humour in this episode while at times funny is a little OTT for Macross Frontier. That's my personal opinion though.

Will comment more later.....running to a meeting.

Nah, Sheryl will end pilot a König Monster while she sings xD

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/Macross_F/MF-34.jpg

The color for this VF-25 does not belong to Mikhail, Ozma, Alto or even Luca! Perhaps, somewhere down the line, Sheryl does indeed pilots one and this maybe her color scheme?? :lol:

Because Sheryl enrolling in the pilot program led some people to suggest that we may see her behind the controls of a VF-25Kai so the mechanics of the controls don't necessarily apply to just the VF-19Kai. ^_^

And we know Sheryl plays guitar HOW...?

Now, if they have a VF-25kai that's controlled by a whip, then she'll TOTALLY be an ace...

EDIT: (Really, I'm just annoyed that no one but me appears to have noticed that Ranka already knows Brera...or at least, no one thought it worth talking about...)

Edited by Gubaba

5. The art may have looked weird in this one, but there ain't nothin' wrong with the shower scene... :wub:

Explain to us, in detail, what you liked best about the shower scene and were there any aspects of it that disappointed you. ;)

Taksraven

oh well, guess we'll find out next week, looks like another great episode next week

Mikhail is the one doing the "Friendly Fire".

This was already posted in the news thread...

I believe

the bloody death person in the preview for next episode is Mikhail's Sister who was a NUNS officer at Galaxy & supposedly commited suicide

I liked this episode a lot. The intro was great and I loved the fact that it was about the

Protoculture

. I liked

the insertion of images of the Birdman from Macross Zero. Now is official... The Birdman was Protoculture... (for those still skeptic out there)

. The eyecatch was also waaaay hilarious, hehehe... ^_^

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Explain to us, in detail, what you liked best about the shower scene and were there any aspects of it that disappointed you. ;)

Taksraven

My only real disappointment was that, on Macross Frontier, towels appear to be plentiful and readily available. ^_^

(And yes, you have my permission to turn that into an H2G2 reference, if you'd like.)

Edited by Gubaba

Taksraven

I think there's something wrong with me, because I was quite fascinated with the wide spout shower head, and wondered what kind of school this was that could lavish such attention to interior design on things as utilitarian as shower stalls.

And that's 12 hours. Spoiler notice is over.

And good catch by Egan.

-Mikhail Buran = Michael Blanc (you can see his name in the scene with Cathy and Ozma)

And "Mikhail" and "Michel" are both correct since that's the pronunciation in Russian and French, respectively. As to why they call him "Mikhail" or "Michel" escapes me.

Which makes me wonder if Luca's name should be spelled "Lucan" since his name sounds Italian.

That's a good catch. I also see their official rankings to be the Army style ones too. Yayz. I'm not using Skull Platoon though. >=O

Isn't that just a poor quality screenshot with excessive brightness on Alto's VF-25? That's how it looks to me.

Not sure, the colours on this one seem to be reversed, it's black on red (if that indeed is red) whereas Alto's VF-25F's markings are red on black.

Not sure, the colours on this one seem to be reversed, it's black on red (if that indeed is red) whereas Alto's VF-25F's markings are red on black.

It's basically taken from here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/Macross_F/MF-25.jpg

The marking seems purplish to me and it is a VF-25 Ozma type in which we have yet to see so far, unless someone gets "promoted" like Hikaru did in SDFM and took on Fokker's VF-1S yellow scheme.

Hope someone can provide a plausible theory here. B))