Macross Frontier Episode 8 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 8 rating  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 8 Rating

• Positive (Sheryl's panties! tee hee)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Sheryl's panties and Ranka's "magical bump" are REAL turnoffs)

It's basically taken from here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/Macross_F/MF-25.jpg

The marking seems purplish to me and it is a VF-25 Ozma type in which we have yet to see so far, unless someone gets "promoted" like Hikaru did in SDFM and took on Fokker's VF-1S yellow scheme.

Hope someone can provide a plausible theory here. B))

Isn't that a very early image of the VF-25 from a year ago? I believe it was in some promotional trailer... (It seemed to have old UN Spacy logos too... Before the whole NUNS/SMS thing was shown...).

Btw... Does anybody know what happened at the end of the episode with Ranka? It seemd to me that

she didn't make it to some music business meeting/interview & her manager told her something like "don't bother" by cellphone

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

For some reason Alto's expression at the end of the episode really amuses me. Perhaps its that you got owned look on his face when he just can't seem to escape certain people. Also the fact that both are practically stalking him might be another.

the thing on the roof is a

VF-1a in Hikaru colors without the UNS kite

!

i guess

the missing UNS kite

confirms that particular speculation about the show.

i can't help thinking that with

Sheryl joining the piloting class

could either have a serious plot point (other than the obvious) or running gag.

accident-prone training episodes, anyone?

bring on the next episode! ^_^

i can't help thinking that with

Sheryl joining the piloting class

could either have a serious plot point (other than the obvious) or running gag.

accident-prone training episodes, anyone?

bring on the next episode! ^_^

You're asking for it, the return of Valkyrie with faces and 0.0. VF-25 Kai Sheryl special anyone? ^_^

My only real disappointment was that, on Macross Frontier, towels appear to be plentiful and readily available. ^_^

(And yes, you have my permission to turn that into an H2G2 reference, if you'd like.)

Share and enjoy. :lol:

Taksraven

Not sure if any1 mentioned this possibility, but is it possible the green pet thingy that Ranka ends up adopting is the "measure" that the triangle-hair guy mentions in the middle of ep 8? You know, the measure he supposedly set up to spy on Ranka for whatever reason?

Just occurred to me call me crazy if I'm totally out of it.

blah, just as i expected. the name tell you everything.

what a lousy one.

there is nothing in here, there is the worse song up to now.

the worse dress, ranka look horrid on that new school uniform. the old one is much better.

sheryl look like drag on that school uniform.

cant they introduce that cyborg kid?

sheryl make so many holes in the wall, but she seem to be fine.

how can alto lost the earing ? that is center to the show.

it can transmit song 15 light years away.

how can you lose such a thing.

why dun he put it in his pocket instead of on the plane?

i think 8 really a let down from the brillant 1 to 3, very good 4-7, and disasterous 8.

it did not do it for me, what a let down. no story, not funny, not interesting, lousy song.

Didn't care much for the episode. Too much stupidity. But the backgrounds were really lush. And you can tell that's Tenjin doing the Valk detail there on the VF-1, very nice.

Funny coincidence. I was listening to France Gall's "Poupee de cir, poupee de son" on my MP3 player just before watching this, and right at the intro, Ranka begins to sing this carrot song which sounds ALMOST IDENTICAL to that song. Wow. Anyway, Yoko Kanno is always stealing some famous song or another (like that Pirates of the Caribbean one, and in Cowboy Bebop I always thought "Words that We Couldn't Say" was just Sting's "Shape of my Heart", etc...), but I mean, what are the chances that THAT ONE would be the one I would listen to just before watching the ep, huh?

Anyway, yeah, that was what I enjoyed the most about the episode. I got really bored towards the end but I held on.

Looking forward to the Sheryl Valkyrie.

Funny coincidence. I was listening to France Gall's "Poupee de cir, poupee de son" on my MP3 player just before watching this, and right at the intro, Ranka begins to sing this carrot song which sounds ALMOST IDENTICAL to that song. Wow. Anyway, Yoko Kanno is always stealing some famous song or another (like that Pirates of the Caribbean one, and in Cowboy Bebop I always thought "Words that We Couldn't Say" was just Sting's "Shape of my Heart", etc...), but I mean, what are the chances that THAT ONE would be the one I would listen to just before watching the ep, huh?

Do you have a place where we could listen to the French song?

There's this Yoko Kanno song which she made for a Daikin Aircon commercial that sounds like the carrot song, listen to it here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UpTwfnOpKtE

EDIT: I agree with the Pirates of the Caribbean thing, but the Shape of my Heart one is only slightly similar, just a few notes on the guitar actually.

EDIT 2: Here is Poupee de cir, poupee de son: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F86iw0DUTA4

I don't think they sound alike at all! Is there another version?

Edited by mike_s_6

hilarious episode and the animation ain't bad either. i'd daresay the character animation is better than those in some of the previous episodes.

i hope sheryl ends up with alto. lonely celebrity types don't get much luck on that in macross..

Hard to predict now, though I share you sentiment. It was pretty unpredictable in SDFM until the very last episode when Hikaru decides to choose Misa over Minmei and in M7, Mylene did not conclusively pick either Basara or Gamlin.

Perhaps all these screen times between Alto and Sheryl will enable Alto to realize that she isn't for him at the end, much like Minmei and Hikaru was? :ph34r:

Didn't care much for the episode. Too much stupidity. But the backgrounds were really lush. And you can tell that's Tenjin doing the Valk detail there on the VF-1, very nice.

Anyway, yeah, that was what I enjoyed the most about the episode. I got really bored towards the end but I held on.

Looking forward to the Sheryl Valkyrie.

So i wasn't crazy when i thought i heard Pirates of the Carribean on ep 8. :unsure:

A song on cowboy bebop sounds like "Dream a little dream of me" as well.

I missed the initial parts from Macross Zero on the live feed....have to download the raws when i get back.

Randomc's review is up and i'm more or less in line with his opinion.

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2008/05/22...ss-frontier-08/

Edited by wolfx

yeah Pirates of the Carribean

and does anyone think about miss macross when they hear that tune again, where the miss macross walk around on tv.

alto have long hair like pirates of the carribean

small varja look like pitch black alien

VF-27 look like amercian super tomcat

frontier 1 island look like san franciso

producer must be an amercian

I enjoyed this one. The humor was maybe a bit over the top for a typical Macross production [when viewed from the perspective of a Macross hard-liner], but had me laughing throughout anyway. My advice to folks would be to lighten up a little and enjoy it for what it is. Laugh a little.

It was cool to see that the VF-1 up on the roof of the academy was done up in Hikaru DYRL colors, complete with "011" squad number. As somebody else mentioned it was rendered very nicely, much like a Tenjin painting.

It was pretty funny seeing Nanase attempting to peek around the corner of a wall to see what Sheryl and Alto were doing/talking about - she's just not built for stealth.

Do you have a place where we could listen to the French song?

There's this Yoko Kanno song which she made for a Daikin Aircon commercial that sounds like the carrot song, listen to it here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UpTwfnOpKtE

EDIT: I agree with the Pirates of the Caribbean thing, but the Shape of my Heart one is only slightly similar, just a few notes on the guitar actually.

EDIT 2: Here is Poupee de cir, poupee de son: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F86iw0DUTA4

I don't think they sound alike at all! Is there another version?

That Japanese cover is horrible. Here's the real deal:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b46d_zk5CKI

The fact is I think, that this episode is to calm the spirits after so many action presented in the previous one. I foud it quite funny and depite of that leaves enough things for the main plot of the series, like the fact that Sheryl enters the pitotage course.

BTW guys, don't you think that http://i25.tinypic.com/e7ym9l.jpg thing is too much vajrish

That Japanese cover is horrible. Here's the real deal:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b46d_zk5CKI

The melody lines are different except for the last line of the verses. And the arrangement? Totally different. There might be an influence there, I wouldn't rule it out, but to say it's "ALMOST IDENTICAL"? I personally don't think so.

What do you guys think? I think it still sounds more like the Daikin Aircon CM that I posted about above, and that's also by Kanno. They're like sister songs in fact.

(Even the part that I pointed out to be similar is not the same, I'd say the whole songs compared with each other are 5% similar.)

Edited by mike_s_6

The UN Spacy kite could be removed from the VF-1 for 2 reasons that I can think of.

1) Perhaps there was some sort of civil war (as has been theorized) and NUNS had an acrimonious split from UNS, so the UN Spacy kite logo is verboten to be displayed in the Frontier fleet.

or

2) As previously mentioned by removing the UN Spacy kit, BW or Bandai Visual hope to be able release the series outside of Japan.

Graham

yeah. I wonder why...

286951ru5.th.jpg

:lol:

Ha ha yup Nanase's assets are even bigger in this episode compared to the earlier episodes. BTW anyone knows why Ranka ran out of the school after the shower scene ? I thought she would be helping Sheryl to get back her panties !

So Mikhail's sis commited suicide, anyone can confirm that ?

Edited by vanpang

You need to watch this episode again, because you couldn't be more wrong. Cell count is low, but art quality is high. As I said before, this may be the best the character art has looked yet.

I agree. For the first time the characters designs is not anonymous.

BTW guys, don't you think that http://i25.tinypic.com/e7ym9l.jpg thing is too much vajrish

Uh, nope.

That thing looks too much AFOS-ish. B))

You gotta (re)watch Zero again and then compare. Especially the last episode, as you can tell the actual form (with skin) is really quite different from the Frontier lobsters. At least, with the lobsters shown so far.

And that's 12 hours. Spoiler notice is over.

And good catch by Egan.

-Mikhail Buran = Michael Blanc (you can see his name in the scene with Cathy and Ozma)

And "Mikhail" and "Michel" are both correct since that's the pronunciation in Russian and French, respectively. As to why they call him "Mikhail" or "Michel" escapes me.

Which makes me wonder if Luca's name should be spelled "Lucan" since his name sounds Italian.

If he's indeed italian, Luca is correct.

I assume that valk mounted on Mihoshi High School is Hikaru's VF-1S, since the original VF-1A got wrecked pretty badly after saving Minmay.

I'm glad no one reads my posts :p

It's aVF1a (011 on the fuselage, no UN kite nor UN SPACY markings, small Skull insigna just beside the canopy)

post-6533-1211536096_thumb.jpg

post-6533-1211536108_thumb.jpg