Macross Frontier Episode 8 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 8 rating  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 8 Rating

• Positive (Sheryl's panties! tee hee)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Sheryl's panties and Ranka's "magical bump" are REAL turnoffs)

Would like to know which has the more accurate translation (or interpretation) of a specific part of the carrot song, AiA or Shinsen?

IIRC, AiA goes "Carrots love you, yeah!", where as Shinsen goes "This carrot loves you, yeah!"

I prefer the AiA interpretation, but curious to know which one is technically more accurate.

Graham

Japanese has no plurals (or at least, not very often), so either would be fine. "Carrots Love You Yeah!" fits the song better, but since the song is entitled "ニンジーン Loves you yeah!", that involves changing the English part of the title. And I'm guessing Shinsen added the "this" because simply "Carrot Loves you yeah!" (which would be the most accurate rendering of the title) sounds a little dumb.

Considering that the song is about carrots being nutritious and good for you, I'd go towards "carrots love you, yeah!". It would be weird to be doing this whole song and dance routine singing about Ranka loving everyone. :p

THIS IS THE EPISODE 8 TALKBACK THREAD, WHY ARE YOU TWO TALKING ABOUT THIS???!!!! :angry: GO ELSEWHERE PLEASE.

This is MacrossWorld since when did we care about those "topic"-things. :rolleyes: But yes if someone says something you don't like just PM this is a good group these things only come up in jest or error.

cheesey fanboy thought: not only is it real but Altoh will have to jump in a fly it at one point in the show. :lol:

haha. i actually thought about that several times. now wouldn't that be the ultimate easter egg... and the shortest one too... seeing as that the vajra would probably run circles around it. hehe. :)

or then again, he could just use it on a rescue mission, because somewhere in the vajra home planet, during the final battle, sheryl is trapped in a hidden base that's about to explode, as the only human captive left alive....

Edited by dreamweaver13

2-Part post: 1) Digression, 2) Carrots

I just want to make one last point re Cydeo1's comments - if I may be permitted - and also note that I personally think that such "mini" discussions don't derail the thread, because in a way the entire Macross story line is about war, racial differences and the challenges to building common understanding, so it's natural that from time to time, references to these things in "real life" will come up. In any event, both of us are being polite and courteous to one another in our exchange - so I don't see why a third party need take offense. We're also not breaking the "no politics" rule, because we're not having a partisan discussion, but just wondering about history in the context of what seems to be an "off-hand" remark that was made by a fourth party :)

With that apologia behind me - here's my short rebuttle:

1) As I wrote, I was not justfying the General's thinking, rather trying to understand his emotions. It is easy to understand why there was so much bitterness towards the Japanese and less towards the Germans. Because the Germans never attacked the United States. After all, millions of Americans were happy to be allied with Stalin, who murdered about twenty times more people than Hitler, but the Japanese had to be "rounded up." It's called war-hysteria and the psychology of crowds, "mindless mass hysteria" - it's a bad thing.

2) The comparisson to calling a person named Daniel Danny even if he doesn't want to isn't so easy to make - because we're talking about a word that some people will take offense to, others will shrug at, and still others do not mean anything bad by it, or feel anything bad when hearing it. I think therefore that a "case by case" rule of thumb has to be followed - and common sense too. For instance, it is likely that elderly people will be more sensitive to the word, that it ought not be used on certain occasions - but this is all to the discretion of the user.

3) The freedom of speech argument is IMO extremely important nevertheless. "I might disagree with your opinion, but I will die to defend your right to express it" is a moral credo that holds us to a high standard - and forces us to admit when we didn't meet that standard (case of the internment camps).

Of course you are right that just because you "can" do something you "should" - but I think it's unhealthy to build these taboos. The Devil hates humor, as the old saying goes. The Devil takes everything seriously - he hates when laughter enters the picture because laughter and distance deflate swollen emotions - and swollen emotions are what breed hatred and conflict. So again - not saying people "must" - but I personally think they "should" chill out and try to not get provoked.

Carrots:

Peronally - I think it would be logical for Ranka to sing "This Carrot Loves you" - rather than "Carrots love you." This is because the point of dressing a cute girl up as a Carrot and having her sing is to co-relate the image of a carrot with a cute singing girl and love. It's like the energizer bunny.

Why do you think they used a pink bunny? They could have just said "The battery has a cell life of X" But dry info like this is usually not the best way to get an add to stick - unless it's info that is dry but powerful "75% per Month return on your Savings Account. Citibank" - would be a good example. If that "dry" commercial ever aired- I'm sure it would be sufficient to get people to open accounts at that particular bank.

But usually such "wonderful" offers don't exist- and yet people still need to advertise. The point is not then to advertise carrots ("Hey! Look! CAARRROOTTTSS! HAVE YOU HEARD OF THESE!?" - but to advertise a store or dealer of carrots...and this is a fun an innovative way of doing it...

Personally - the Carrot song reminds me of Nintendo... the old NES that is... the music is like something out of one of their games :)

VFTF1

Edited by VFTF1

DAMMIT WHY CAN'T PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT SOME PEOPLE GET OFFENDED AND MOVE ON AND JUST LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE!!!???? JUST LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE!!!!!!!! DAMMIT IS THAT SO HARD TO ASK!!!!???????

PM sent. I am getting sick and tired of the BS that goes on here.

I think we can just agree to disagree :)

Back to Macross episode 8:

I don't want to veer into the "badly animated" tone that has sometimes sprung up - but I must admit that until episode 8, I couldn't understand what people were talking about when some folks noted that animation was poor in some places. Then, suddenly, in episode 8 I got the feeling that - well - the animation wasn't "bad" as much as the characters; particularly Sheryl - were drawn somewhat...differently.

Although - as I look at the episode; I wonder whether it is intentional? Because actually, Sheryl looks more comical the way she is drawn (and I'm not just talking about the "anime/comedy" faces/poses) - and maybe this was a stylistic choice - not a step down in animation execution - to make the episode "funnier" ??

VFTF1