Name the VF-25

Zinjo

Who knows. I got the impression that the anime was deliberately avoiding mentioning a pet-name for the VF-25. Though, given how far ahead the production most likely is (or should be), the picked name most likely won't appear until the latter half of the series.

A Day late and a dollar short but I like "Gungnir" it is the name of Odin's spear, it plays along with the Valkyrie theme. His spear was also represented as a Lightning Bolt which is probably the allusion they were giving with the previous Lightning designation.

Unfortunately it doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely as Valkyrie does.

Vf-25 toryu (demon slayer)

Wow, I love it!!! Is it Japanese?

Now my many choices...

***VF-25 INDRAKÄMPFER***

(Actually in Hindu mythology the Vajra was the magical weapon of the War God Indra. Kämpfer means "fighter" in German, thus the whole complete name is "Indra Fighter").

***VF-25 WANZESTOMPER***

(Means "Bug Stomper" in German)

***VF-25 WANZEMÖRDER***

(Means "Bug Killer" in German)

***VF-25 VAJRAMÖRDER***

(Means "Vajra Killer" in German)

***VF-25 VAJRAKÄMPFER***

(Means "Vajra Fighter" in German)

***VF-25 WANZEKÄMPFER***

(Means "Bug Fighter" in German)

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I was influenced by the following in order to come up with this name - the beautiful long fighter nose of the 25, its far-reaching wingspan, the red-striped white finish, the letters in Alto's name, a bird, and the way it rhymes with Macross:

VF-25 ALBATROSS

So what do you think? In Japanese, they'd say it a-ru-ba-to-ro-su. Like it? Thanks for reading.

I was influenced by the following in order to come up with this name - the beautiful long fighter nose of the 25, its far-reaching wingspan, the red-striped white finish, the letters in Alto's name, a bird, and the way it rhymes with Macross:

VF-25 ALBATROSS

So what do you think? In Japanese, they'd say it a-ru-ba-to-ro-su. Like it? Thanks for reading.

Tune from SDFM pops into head...

AL-BA-TROSS!

AL-BA-TROSS!

*dadadada*

AAAAAAALLLL-BUH-TU-ROOOOSSSSSSS!!!!!

post-2681-1208955471_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kelsain

Here's another interesting name I thought up. VF-25 represents the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Valkyrie. The metal associated with this lengh of time is Silver. And we all know how Mr. Kawamori sometimes likes blending Deutsch in the names he comes up with. So why not come up with a:

VF-25 SILVER VALKYRIE (Silver Walkure / Silbur Valkyrie / Silbur Walkure)

If that is too long, we could just name it:

VF-25 WALKURE

In Japanese, this would be pronounced: 'ba-ru-kyu-re-' as compared with the original 'ba-ru-ki-ri' so even if they refer to the same thing they are distinct from one another. The U should actually be the smiley face letter.

By the way, which fictional manufacturer was involved in its production? Could it be Shinsei because of the transformation design or could it be Stonewell Bellcom, 25 years after producing the first ever VF?

Credits to 'omg' for sending in the ALBATROSS name first.

or could it be Stonewell Bellcom, 25 years after producing the first ever VF?

Stonewell Bellcom no long exisits as a separate entity. According to the Macross Compendium, Shinnakasu Heavy Industry and Stonewell Bellcom merged in 2012 to form Shinsei Industry.

I do think the VF-25 looks like a Shinsei design. The VF-171 is almost certainly a General Galaxy design (unless General Galaxy were bought out sometime between 2045 and 2059).

The mystery VF featured in the opening also looks more like a General Galaxy design IMO.

Of course, by 2059, there may be some new players in the VF manufacturing business that we don't know about yet.

Graham

Well, according to MWer Kresphy who just posted scans of the latest Newtype magazine in the Frontier news thread (3 days before the official release date!), the VF-25's nickname is Messiah (メサイア).

Not initially liking or disliking the name. I guess I'm going to need to to see if it grows on me.

Graham

Hehehhe, it's the VF-25 Shao Pai Lon :) I'm more or less happy with the name. Like I said in the other pinned thread, though Messiah is a bit over-the-top at least it hasn't been used and abused for fighter craft names by a thousand other sci-fi franchises. I'm sure someone will eventually post some obscure fighter called a messiah from a sci-fi franchise, but I haven't heard about it so that's all that matters to me.

Edited by Mr March

It's decent but it doesn't fit with previous themes.

VF-0 Phoenix

VF-1 Valkyrie

VF-4 Lightning

VF-11 Thunderbolt

VF-17 Nightmare

VF-19 Excalibur

VF-22 Sturmvogel

VF-25 Messiah

It's decent but it doesn't fit with previous themes.

VF-0 Phoenix

VF-1 Valkyrie

VF-4 Lightning

VF-11 Thunderbolt

VF-17 Nightmare

VF-19 Excalibur

VF-22 Sturmvogel

VF-25 Messiah

Well, it goes with Kawamori's idea of not basing the VF-25 on any real-world fighter.

Messiah? Blah, stupidest name ever. Sounds like a name thought up by a religious fundamentalist. x_x

Uhm... no... a religious fundamentalist wouldn't name a plane the "messiah". Messiah sounds more like the name of a gundam in the current 00.

Anyways, start naming names.

Perhaps MW should host a contest as well. Winner who matches the winner in Japan gets a prize?

We should have host the contest.

Yeah Seraph is nice.

I'm thinking of something like

VF-25 Phantom

VF-25 Messiah

I got it right. :lol: Too bad no prize. ^_^

Messiah? Blah, stupidest name ever. Sounds like a name thought up by a religious fundamentalist. x_x

Messiah has another meaning not relating to any religious meaning. ^_^