Yamato GN-U Non-transforming Macross Action Figures

Graham

Which only applies to those that have the skill, time and patience to build Hasegawas.

The rest of us mere mortals (well, me at least), would like a reasonably priced, reasonble size dedicated fighter mode toy.

Not diecast for me please. I've had terrible lucky with the paint chipping off the diecast after a couple of unfortunate drops.

Graham

I've long been pro the idea of non-transforming highly detailed fighter mode toys/display models.

Most of my Macross toys end up staying in Fighter mode for most of their life anyway. I just prefer the fighters (and usually it's the least floppy, least fraught with problems mode there is ^_^ ). Making fighter-only toys would allow them to quickly do some VFs we haven't seen for some time, since the engineering time would be extremely short.

Hasegawas are great and all, but I agree, not all of us have time and patience to do them. I can't paint a model worth a darn.

Vostok 7

A fighter only or Gerwalk only mode with less articulation than the battroids, but cheaper is great, but I think the size should be smaller. If the size is going to be 1/72 or 1/60, won't it be pretty redundant amongst your transforming 1/60s? And something of that size, but retaining that level of detail is going to inflate the price to $60-70 and an additional 15 for Gerwalks. Poor paint and panel line detail becomes far more noticeable amongst larger figures.

I think its a safer bet to have smaller figures to pair with the current GNU sizes, and keep the costs $20-25 or less.

well first I'd rather they not make Gerwalk only toys (I don't even like Gerwalk mode on anything but the VF-1 anyways)

I don't see it as being redundant at all, or at least no more redundant that 1/72 hase kits. a fighter only could be much more anime accurate and free from any of the compromises required to make them transformable. and paying a more realistic $50 for a 1/72 fighter is still a lot more reasonable than paying 200 for a transformable toy and then leaving it in fighter mode anyways (and as i mentioned, the fighter only figure would look nicer since it doesn't have to make sacrifices for transformation)

also, like I said earlier, some valks I just want as fighters only. for instance I find the VF-4 to have a rather unattractive batriod mode, and I'd rather have a fighter only version that's tighter and better looking than any transforming figure since I'd end up leaving it in fighter mode anyways.

I would appreciate the increase in detail and sculpting accuracy like you say, since I'm a fighter fan too, but I think this would just limit me severely to only buying fighters for the transforming Valks that I would have refused to buy due to their fighter-mode compromises (VF-11, VF-25). Otherwise, the current fighter modes of most of the valks are really still pretty good, and I wouldn't plunk down another 50 for a plane of which I already have. Even if it was superior, it'd be obsoleting the $200 valks =/.

What's going to end up happening with 1/60 or 1/72 replicas is that the demand would be lower than if they were of a smaller scale, due to their higher price, and that collectors technically already possess a 1/60 model. I don't know about you, but I don't intend to buy Hasegawa kits of fighters I already own (even if they were pre-completed). Cost would be an issue, but so would storage and collectibility.

That aside though, I think it's a shame to neglect Gerwalk modes as it most easily distinguishes Macross from other toys. Its not quite like collecting plane replicas, or Gundam kits, or transformers figures. Sure, there's no way it could work without being a floppy mess that would disintegrate mid-flight, but it was sure as hell a lot more interesting than repeated mecha-dueling ala GW. If Macross had just Fighter and Battroid modes, I think I'd be disenchanted with it pretty quickly. And something about rearward-bent legs just makes their ground movement awesome. Probably from a childhood of Mechwarrior though.

at cent:

I kind of get the feeling that (at least around here) a lot of people buy multiples of the same toy just to display in each mode anyways. and a lot of us buy the same type of fighter multiple times just to get different color schemes.

perhaps you wouldn't be interested in getting the two similar valks in a similar scale, but for a lot of people having them in a similar scale wouldn't be a problem, and may just be a selling point.

I just don't see how it would make the transforming toy "obsolete." the Transforming toy gives you PT, and the ability to have a toy that actually transforms and show how the thing works in real life 3D, and the fixed mode toy gives you a really beautiful representation of one mode that doesn't compromise or sacrifice anything, I'd see them complementing each other rather than making one or the other less desirable.

Fast Pack versions of VF-11B, YF-19, YF-21:

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mgangu/011848/

10s.jpg07s.jpg04s.jpg

2009 May. Full set 4500 yen each. 2000 yen each for fast pack add-on set.

I nearly exploded before I read the last part. Whew... looks like my GNUs are going get some fast packs then--- when the price (and demand) drops-- I actually got my GNUs at 37.50 for all three, so it (the price) wasn't too bad. Retail price of 2000 yen each is probably too much though.

Fair enough, anime52. If having similar toys of the same scale don't bother you or your wallet then that's fine too. I personally love the 1/72 Hase YF-19, despite all its non-cannon exaggerated glory. I think I'd feel the same way about a pre-assembled model too, but frankly at this point I'd rather save the $50 or so for the next staggeringly-expensive Yamato valk. Its kind of one thing that trumps the other. If I didn't start out collecting transforming Valks though, I might have just taken the cheaper route and gotten non-TF 1/72 replicas... But its too late for that :(

Also, 2,000 Yen for GNU Fast Packs? Wow. 20 bucks... for a few pieces of non-articulated plastic (I don' count a silly twist of the connection joint)... When the GNU itself was 30. Who is pricing these things?!? Just imagine if the 1/60 FP expansions costed 2/3rds the value of the plane. Thats too bad, cause I like my GNUs, but when I start paying 45-50 for each one, I mind as well start throwing money into a fire. Even for a GNU fan, thats too much for me.

• 2 weeks later...
where are the fps on this vf-1??? Why is yamato doing this again, selling toy with no fps... I think this looks very good, but not without the fps man.

good point! bad Yamato, playing us for suckers! :p

how does it go... fooled me once, shame on me. try to fool me twice, shame on you Yamato. <_<

Edited by m0n5t3r

the vf-1 is the holly grail for toy companies,

you have the:

vf-1s roy

vf-1s hikaru

vf-1s max

vf-1a TV max

vf-1a TV kakizaki

vf-1a DYRL hikaru

vf-1a DYRL max

vf-1a DYRL kakizaki

vf-1j hikaru

vf-1j max

vf-1j miria

vf-1d trainer

vf-1 super ostrich

vf-1a cannon fodder

vf-1a err..that schoolgirl scheme...err...yes, angelbird

vf-1s apollo

vf-1 low vis

the possibility are endless, they can milk the molds for eternity, what other toy can you sell repaints so easily

and holly crap, those head lasers on the vf-1 are seriously compansating for something...hehehe, kidding, looks great, if they released it with the stupid fast packs bundled inmediately and not half a year later I'll buy it, if not, screw it

Edited by Valkyrie addict