The Transformers 2 Thread--A Michael Bay thread

areaseven

Transformers 2  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, what did you think of it?

• It was better than the first.
    • It was worse than the first.
    • Who cares?! Both movies suck!
    • Me Grimlock still want stomp Michael Bay!
  2. 2. How many times have you seen this film so far?

• Once. That's it.
    • 2-3 times.
    • 4-5 times.
    • I lost count.
    • Zero. I'll just rent it later this year.
    • Zero. You ain't paying me to watch that crap.
  3. 3. Given its current box office numbers, will this film eventually surpass The Dark Knight and/or Titanic in ticket sales?

• It'll overtake The Dark Knight, but that's it.
    • That ship is going down!
    • Not a chance.

Just saw it this afternoon, and wow, who the hell let George Lucas on set? Seriously, wtf was up with the Jar Jar twins? Would it have been that hard to pull in Marlon & Shawn Wayans to do "funnY" offensive urban human/ They would have done it if asked, no need for the rat faced googly eyed buck toof'd....moving on.

I know speak of canon is mute, but if Optimus & Megatron are brothers (as mentioned in the first), then wouldn't that make Megatron a "Prime." And if Megatron was a "Prime," wouldn't he be on equal terms with "The Fallen." Why did we need "The Fallen" again? Unicron would have worked, hell, anything else would have worked, but as it stood, where the hell was this guy in the first movie? Why did they have a Tekkaman Blade "Radam" style base on the moon? Why was Dr. Claw in this movie? Would it have been that hard to add some synth to Sioundwave's voice?

Adding the human shaped deceptacon also add's a whole can of worms I don't think should have gone into here.

Transformers humping, transformers with testicles, mating elements etc, I think I figured it out, "Batteries Not Included" is actually a prequal to these films, or a "Transformers Zero," if you will. Makes total sence, and kudo's to Micheal Bay, or George Lucas, or wheover the hell thought of it to incorperate these to franchises toghether. I fully expect to see mini autobots making hamburger's in the next film.

Where was my awesome Starscream vs real fighters from the first movie? Why toss out one of the best elements!

Cutthroat prime I really didn't have much problem with, at this point why not, he know's the score of the battle, and original cartoon prime could have used a little bit more carnage hwen dealing with deceptacons. The throw away afterthough dialogue of all Transformers characters on the other hand didn't gel with this film even more than it didn't with the first. But oh well.

With that said, I can only say that Star Trek was the best film of the summer/year, can't wait to see it on bluray!

the way i understood it, jetfire and prime didnt even know each other. jetfire was somewhat surprised to find out that a Prime was still alive and i believe jetfire went to "sleep" or stasis lock while still a decepticon.

True, but still, the guy just ripped his heart out to save you... surely that merits an, "Aw, jetfire"? :lol:

Prime was too busy "rolling" with his new jetpack to worry about Jetfire. Besides, where the hell did the space bridge/leaping come from? And where did it go? Only "The Fallen" & Jetfire could usei it, weakest plot conveience all summer!

Prime was too busy "rolling" with his new jetpack to worry about Jetfire. Besides, where the hell did the space bridge/leaping come from? And where did it go? Only "The Fallen" & Jetfire could usei it, weakest plot conveience all summer!

Yeah, that's another thing that didn't get explained, and actually The Fallen's ability to Trans-warp (or space bridge) isn't ever explained as far as I know. Jetfire's ability is explained in the prequal comics. He is one of the seekers who were created by the Allspark with transwarp abilities that allowed them to traverse the galaxy in search of energy sources.

The Audi is Sideways. (yes, they had to use 2 similar names for new guys on opposing factions in this movie, of the dozens of names to choose from)

Not to mention most people can't visually tell the difference between the two characters...

I know speak of canon is mute, but if Optimus & Megatron are brothers (as mentioned in the first), then wouldn't that make Megatron a "Prime." And if Megatron was a "Prime," wouldn't he be on equal terms with "The Fallen." Why did we need "The Fallen" again? Unicron would have worked, hell, anything else would have worked, but as it stood, where the hell was this guy in the first movie?
The Optimus Prime and Megatron being brothers is only canon in some divergent continuities of the movie, apparently. The reference of their familiaral relationship was clearer in the video games and other supporting 2007 fiction, but it was left deliberately ambiguous in the movie itself. Roberto Orci said after the movie (shortly before writing a treatment for Revenge of the Fallen) that it was up to us to interpret what "brother" meant, and obviously, in light of ROTF, it is now meant to refer to a Cybertronian brotherhood in nationality, rather than a family relationship.

As for The Fallen, he's a big bad for the comics, though an unknown one as far as 99.9% of viewers are concerned, and perhaps obscure to even 90% of people who consider themselves Transformers fans. I prefer to see it as a pretty decent writer shout-out to hardcore fans for them to even *consider* using The Fallen.

Why did they have a Tekkaman Blade "Radam" style base on the moon?
That was actually the crashed remains of the Nemesis, possibly on one of Saturn's moons (hence the ringed planet. According to the comics, it was the ship used by the Fallen and the bulk of Decepticon forces to try and find the last solar harvester. I suppose the movie can interperet it as a ship used by the Decepticons to escape the death of Cybertron.

Why was Dr. Claw in this movie? Would it have been that hard to add some synth to Sioundwave's voice?
Frank Welker has previously stated that he didn't like what they did to his Soundwave voice (which is essentially Dr Claw) on the G1 cartoon. It's entirely possible he asked Bay to leave his voice alone and Bay agreed.

Adding the human shaped deceptacon also add's a whole can of worms I don't think should have gone into here.
Eh, Pretenders have been around since the 80s. So long as not every (small) Decepticon has that ability, it's fine.

Yeah, that's another thing that didn't get explained, and actually The Fallen's ability to Trans-warp (or space bridge) isn't ever explained as far as I know. Jetfire's ability is explained in the prequal comics. He is one of the seekers who were created by the Allspark with transwarp abilities that allowed them to traverse the galaxy in search of energy sources.
The Fallen has always had magical powers from his time as one of the first thirteen Transformers. That force-pull/lift power was like his force crush from the War Within comics, as was his ability to create dimensional portals. As far as Hasbro is concerned (and they will be the last word once Bay and Paramount get tired of Transformers), The Fallen in this movie is exactly the same guy from the comics, being a multiversial singularity.

What did they name the Audi? You know the one, it was sliced in half by Sideswipe at the beginning of the film.

I was kinda disappointed about Sideswipe, I was hoping to see a red Lamborghini Countach.

Assuming you're talking about the 1970s-80s car, the Countach is a bit rubbish now, though.

Among some of the craziness the movie has attracted, I found this lol tidbit from the entry of Judith Witwicky. Can anyone confirm this?
From Bay's blog

Hey dude, visit TFWiki.net, that's the real Transformers wiki, where staff and all the major contributors left for. We wrote 99% of what's currently on the rotting corpse that is Transformers Wikia ;)

*advertisement* We have almost 2000 articles more than they do, and of greater quality, if I may say so :D

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Topless Robot has offered what I think is some of the most-insightful coverage on the film currently on-line:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/bonus_...mers_2_faqs.php

Thank you very much for that link and hilarious read (2 pages worth of fun). More holes in TF2 than a stockpile of swiss cheese on the Titanic.

Edited by Warmaker

Haha, that's hilarious. I don't know if this is a repost, but I just found this and a bunch of others:

"Flames, you gotta be *ucking kidding me."

Oh my God, this $hit is hysterical. I was pissing myself laughing......I wish these guys would make a Transformers movie.

Edited by peter

I was disappointed with the twins.

I thought the twins were supposed to combine to form a bigger robot? I wanted to see some ultra giant robot vs ultra giant robot action

Intead what we get was a sh*tbox ice cream truck, although the "(Decepticon Symbol) Suck my POPSCICLE" was a nice touch.

I was disappointed with the twins.

I thought the twins were supposed to combine to form a bigger robot? I wanted to see some ultra giant robot vs ultra giant robot action

Yeah, they cut that element out of both the twins in the movie and Arcee, though it is still in the novel (well, Arcee anyway, haven't gotten far enough in the book to see if it's there for the twins).

Got the chance to see the original Bay TF film for the first time in a long time today. It looks reeeeeaaallly good now when you compare it to the sequel.

Taksraven

Is the four star general in the second movie supposed to be the same character from the first. The same actor played the commander of the base he had the rank of colonel? How do you go from being the commander of a base who got wiped out to being promoted four grades of rank?

Edited by miles316

Is the four star general in the second movie supposed to be the same character from the first. The same actor played the commander of the base he had the rank of colonel? How do you go from being the commander of a base who got wiped out to being promoted four grades of rank?

Probably due to the nature of the subject they probably put him in just to enable them to lock it down with someone they could trust, and a guy the men trusted. Afterall if they promoted him to give him a desk job four ranks is a bit excessive.

It is the same actor, but not the same character. He's like a personal friend of Michael Bay or something and so Bay tries to include him in his movies. The general he plays in ROTF even shares the last name of the real actor.

Bay mentioned it in an interview a few months back.

It is the same actor, but not the same character. He's like a personal friend of Michael Bay or something and so Bay tries to include him in his movies. The general he plays in ROTF even shares the last name of the real actor.

Bay mentioned it in an interview a few months back.

Thanks.

Just assume they're twins, separated at birth (thus the different last names), who both went into the military. :)

Thanks. I couldn't get to sleep last night because I was so worried about that one....... :lol: :lol:

Taksraven

Yeah, they cut that element out of both the twins in the movie and Arcee, though it is still in the novel (well, Arcee anyway, haven't gotten far enough in the book to see if it's there for the twins).

Wait, this trash is actually a "book" too?

Wait, this trash is actually a "book" too?

While trash in movie form, the books are generally a lot better and fill in the big gaps that you could drive a dozen constructicon copies thru.

I never did finish the first book but it had explained a lot of what we had missing in the first movie, such as whatever happened to barricade for one.

Generally these big blockbuster sci/fis have a prequel novel that ties into the movie...like Terminator Salvation (book form had a different ending by the way) had a book called Rise from the Ashes and then Transformers ROTF had a prequel book that took place between 1 and 2, then just a few weeks before the movie came out they had the novel version.

I might pick up the novel on sunday to check it out.

Yeah reading the book is not a bad idea. Just because ROTF the movie is a complete waste of space doesn't mean that the book is the same way. Unfortunately, I'm trying to read up on Half Blood Prince for next week and I started reading Interview with the Vampire so my T-formers will have to wait...

Some concept art for Devastator, though I still wonder from which bot the scrotum came from. Better chuck it to "they just didn't care."

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7628/dali1.jpg

That picture is pretty cool imo. It shows a lot of detail for each of the vehicles and they aren't anywhere near as distorted as the rest of the transformers are.

Just saw it. The bathroom/sex/toilet gumor killed it for me. :(

If it was toned down, I'd have enjoyed this flick more. <_<

Some concept art for Devastator, though I still wonder from which bot the scrotum came from. Better chuck it to "they just didn't care."

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7628/dali1.jpg

WOW!!!!...Devastator looks way more awesome than what we see in T:ROTF. :mellow:

Edited by grss1982

So... I guess I completely didn't understand what Michael Bay was trying to accomplish with Transformers 2.

This article really cleared up some stuff for me and hopefully it'll bring other haters around into seeing what a brilliant film it truly is

http://io9.com/5301898/michael-bay-finally-made-an-art-movie

That article was posted several pages ago - and yeah - it is pretty cool.

I still haven't seen the movie and somehow don't feel like making the effort.

Also - there's a new problem now:

Even if I DO make it to the movie theatre somehow - I'll be more tempted to watch Bruno!

Pete

So... I guess I completely didn't understand what Michael Bay was trying to accomplish with Transformers 2.

This article really cleared up some stuff for me and hopefully it'll bring other haters around into seeing what a brilliant film it truly is

http://io9.com/5301898/michael-bay-finally-made-an-art-movie

I like this one comment that followed: "It's like snorting cocaine off a hooker's ass." Perfectly describes the movie. :p

Maybe give me a year or two before I change my attitude towards the movie...

Edited by shiroikaze