The Transformers 2 Thread--A Michael Bay thread

areaseven

Transformers 2  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, what did you think of it?

• It was better than the first.
    • It was worse than the first.
    • Who cares?! Both movies suck!
    • Me Grimlock still want stomp Michael Bay!
  2. 2. How many times have you seen this film so far?

• Once. That's it.
    • 2-3 times.
    • 4-5 times.
    • I lost count.
    • Zero. I'll just rent it later this year.
    • Zero. You ain't paying me to watch that crap.
  3. 3. Given its current box office numbers, will this film eventually surpass The Dark Knight and/or Titanic in ticket sales?

• It'll overtake The Dark Knight, but that's it.
    • That ship is going down!
    • Not a chance.

Or it could be that just maybe...just maybe that in these trying times a nice escapist movie is just what people want to see. Just because it isn't thought provoking or deeper like say Beast Wars was (in terms of TF) doesn't equate it to bad. I really don't think that if you enjoy this movie it reflects on your intelligence level of all things. Furthermore it's a Michael Bay movie, the guy has been making the same types of movies pretty much since he started with a style that is very much his own, if everyone hates it so much why do you keep paying to see his movies?

Some interesting tid bits from the exit polls

"Paramount's national exit polling revealed several notable facts. While the first "Transformers" film, released in 2007, skewed 60-40 toward men over women, the split in the new film was more even at 54% male, 46% female. More than 90% of those surveyed said the new movie was as good as or better than the first film. About 67% of moviegoers polled said the film was "excellent," an even better score than that generated by Paramount's "Star Trek," one of the year's best-reviewed movies."

Obviously people enjoy it, and you don't even need exit polls to tell you that.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Crap. With those kind of figures, Bay will probably get to do Robotech.....and even though I hate Robotech, I'd hate to see a Valkrie/Veritech look like a bunch of metal shards in robot mode. Isn't Toby going to play Rick Hunter? Awesome.
Doubt it. Someone here mentioned that Tom Desanto or one of the TF movie producers met with some workers from HG and that the movie most likely won't happen.

okay, I'm not getting the descendant part... how does that work? In the first movie it made it seem like new transformers were sparked by the all spark but in 2 they showed that hive thing going on. So if the original Transformers were the Primes, why only a certain lineage?
I have no idea.
Btw where is Barricade? I thought it was the car that got split by half by Sideswipe but apparent it isn't. And is Arcee dead
I think Barricade is dead...not sure if he showed up in the prequel comics. I honestly thought Sideways(the guy Sideswipe cut in half) WAS Barricade, the visual features are almost dead on, but they are different characters. Not sure if Arcee and Chromia are dead.

My biggest disappointment were that all of the new characters save for the twins were barely in the movie.

Hasbro thinks that making money = good
Actually their main source of money is the toy line, even if the movie does well for Paramount, Hasbro won't taste a lick of success unless the toys sell extremely well too, like they did in the last line. Chances are the toys will sell well, they are already selling far better in my area compared to Star Trek and Terminator, toys that didn't sell well regardless of how well their movies did.

About stuff changing for movie 3, we might actually see some changes IMO. Hasbro is looking to push toys with the movie. We now have decent toy versions (as good as they will likely get for the cost), so I'd expect Hasbro to change up some of the main cast a little to get some new toys out.
I think new toys of the main characters is likely. For Prime, I'd expect a "definitive" movie Prime, with retractable mouth guard, guns AND swords that can be hidden in robot mode, and of course a repaint later on WITH metallic silver paint and darker red/blue molded plastic. Depending on how well Leader Starscream turns out, I think he could be repainted for TF3. As for Megatron, I'm thinking, if he retains the same alt mode, a leader size version that is more accurate, has the poseability of the current voyager Megatron but the imposing size of the leader Megatron.

I also expect a new voyager Ratchet finally with the arm blaster, an Ironhide that can hide his weapons better than the TF1 version, a DECENT Blackout figure, an all new voyager Bonecrusher, a deluxe Bumblebee with shoulder cannons, arm blaster, arm guards, retractable battle mask and more.

Or it could be that just maybe...just maybe that in these trying times a nice escapist movie is just what people want to see. Just because it isn't thought provoking or deeper like say Beast Wars was (in terms of TF) doesn't equate it to bad.

Once again, that isn't the point. We're not looking for Hamlet, Les Miserables or even Boys N the Hood in a Bay-formers movie. I expect ANY action-oriented movie to be somewhat mindless and ridiculous, but it doesn't have to be vulgar and crass with the juvenile, frat-house humor that Michael Bay and this movie franchise believes that you need to have in order to win over your audience. If you wanna talk successful escapist movies you can easily accomplish that by not carrying racist undertones, excessive sexual exploitation and general vulgarity; Star Wars (with exception to Phantom Menace), Wall-E, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek and countless others allow us to "escape" but don't ask us to leave our sense of morality, ethics and too much of our brains outside of the movie theater.

A movie that doesn't have a swiss-cheese like plot/storyline, and isn't trying to seem as if the people who wrote for American Pie wrote for this one as well shouldn't be too much to ask. But then again, as another poster previously said, ROTF is exactly what people these days want to see. Well if I'm in the minority then so be it, but that's just really, really, really sad...

Or it could be that just maybe...just maybe that in these trying times a nice escapist movie is just what people want to see. Just because it isn't thought provoking or deeper like say Beast Wars was (in terms of TF) doesn't equate it to bad. I really don't think that if you enjoy this movie it reflects on your intelligence level of all things. Furthermore it's a Michael Bay movie, the guy has been making the same types of movies pretty much since he started with a style that is very much his own, if everyone hates it so much why do you keep paying to see his movies?

"Paramount's national exit polling revealed several notable facts. While the first "Transformers" film, released in 2007, skewed 60-40 toward men over women, the split in the new film was more even at 54% male, 46% female. More than 90% of those surveyed said the new movie was as good as or better than the first film. About 67% of moviegoers polled said the film was "excellent," an even better score than that generated by Paramount's "Star Trek," one of the year's best-reviewed movies."

I had my doubts going in, but I really enjoyed this movie! Don't get me wrong, this movie started really badly with too much of Sam's parents, college roommates, etc., but once it got going with building up Optimus Prime and his relationship with Sam it really took off. I also found the mythology a lot more interesting, that there are more forms of energon so the Transformers are not totally doomed. And they also took time to build up the the villains characters of Megatron and Starscream. The fight scenes were also a lot better, with slow motion when critical hits occurred so you could take your time to digest what was happening. One thing which I found really stupid was the really tiny transformers the size of bugs. Seriously, they need to stick with big bots. But the movie really shines when Optimus Prime is onscreen, anytime he's is in action or dialogue scene he just oozes charisma.

Since Michael Bay will most likely be involved in another sequel, I will definitely wait for reviews next time. I really enjoyed the first movie, but this one sinks to an all-new low with the level of toilet humor, ass shots, dog/bot humping, hip-hop sounding bots, T-X seductresses, roboballs, etc. I wasn't expecting this, and the trailers didn't reveal any of this. I honestly thought I was going to like it more than the first since the promise of more Autobots/Decepticons and more action scenes looked like a given hit for me. I've watched Pearl Harbor, The Island, and the first TF movie, and those were good. If Michael Bay had anything to do with actually requesting any of the things mentioned above, then I blame him for them. But who's to say the studio execs and producers didn't demand to have stuff like this so that it would be funnier?! Regardless of whose fault it was, I won't buy into the hype next time without checking here first. As myk stated, you can still tell a compelling story without resorting to downgrading the humor like this, but then again, stuff like this sells, but I'm not going to settle for it.

Hopefully, someday, the franchise will end up in the proper hands and be done with more integrity as was finally done with Batman.

I honestly think that if it was dumbed down, it would be getting way more worse reviews than it already is.

:lol: If removing the dog humping, "cherry poppin momma", robot humping and robot testicles would be dumbing down the movie, I'd hate to see how retarded it would be without those elements. :p

But yeah, it's the parent's responsibility if the kids watch something or not. I just think a lot of parents might see it as a movie for a brand of children's toys and ignore the rating thinking, "It's Transformers, how bad could it be?" Then wham! giant robot balls in their face. :blink:

It's not a good movie, but I enjoyed it overall. Saw it on 2 nights with different groups, and the twins were much less annoying the 2nd time. There were parts where I felt I was watching an episode of the G1 cartoon, particularly when Megatron & Starscream were on screen. That was a cool feeling. I have many of the same beefs as you all seem to, though.

What bugged me most was how much it abbreviated the TF continuity. In the first movie, it says Megatron had been frozen for, what, 10000 years? Then he's thawed and surrounded by his contemporaries. In this one, the ancient history of the Fallen & the original Primes is less than 20,000 years ago. That's like 2-3 generations by the 1st movie's timeline. I miss the ageless quality of the transformers of the cartoons & comics - with individuals being millions of years old. I know, I know, it's not G1 - but it's not consistent within it's own mythos either.

Edited by Kelsain

People often say that when they go to an action flick, they want mind numbing action and violence. That's pretty much all there is to it. TF2 doesn't do much else. And most people don't really care how the things look as long as it dazzles their eyes, which this does too. And trust me, if a show like Paris Hilton's Best Friend can get a second season, then I think the answer is #2 in your choices...

Guess I can safely say I don't mind being in the clear majority of morons this time around. I love the movie. I didn't walk in already hating it like so many others did.

The first TF movie had a silly plot but kept it simple. And that is why I thing a lot of people enjoyed it.

Now the new one has another silly plot… but they complicate things. TF1 can be described by “the search for the all spark!” and just that. But now we get new things popping up all the time; we start with “the all spark lives again!” that then turns into “the secret of the symbols!”, to “the search for the ancient transformers!”, to “the hunt for the matrix!” and then “destroy the sun eater!”. There is no clear mayor plot device. How can a brain disconnect when you throw so much information at it?

All this with Jesus Prime and Jesus Megatron, the military being pestered by evil pencil pushers, dog humping, Sam’s personal life, dog humping, a guy named Mr Fallen, and then some more humping…

All those changes in direction, so much going around, the movie being so long and the giant plot holes made my brain get out of it’s middles eye candy joy ride more than it should have during the whole film.

Still, dorky things like Prime’s action scenes, the Starscream-Megatron relation, Ravage in action or Sounwave did save the experience for me and made me have some fun in what really is a horribly stupid movie. Nowhere near the amount of fun I was expecting (40+ robots my ass, Devastator’s combined mode being a vacuum cleaner, and so on…) but fun still.

Edited by Twoducks

Guess I can safely say I don't mind being in the clear majority of morons this time around. I love the movie. I didn't walk in already hating it like so many others did.

That's a cheap shot. A lot of us who hated TF2 loved the first one.

That's a cheap shot. A lot of us who hated TF2 loved the first one.

Fair enough. But on the same hand, more than a few of you who admittedly liked the first one had little or no hope for this one from the word go.

I'm kinda dissappointed with Transformers 2... it felt like a jumbled mess instead of being epic. Robots were just dropped into the movie without much of a satisfactory introduction, not to mention, I wouldn't mind seeing some more relationships between the bots. The Decepticons don't feel menacing at all--They actually seem weaker this time around.

I think I'll chime in about Arcee and the Fallen definitely needing more screentime.

Have to admit that the action scenes were great... I probably will get it on Blu-Ray anyway for completion's sake...

Edited by shiroikaze

Chewie I agree with you 100%, you just articulated better than I.

As for the human element, I really believe it's necessary, especially in the first film. It gives the audience (especially those who aren't lifelong TF fans) something to relate to. It just makes it more accessible imo. I think these movies would probably be a lot worse off if they just had robots.

Love the Bay films or not, hopefully those who hate them can at least appreciate the success they bring the franchise and the interest they generate in the property as whole.

Fair enough. But on the same hand, more than a few of you who admittedly liked the first one had little or no hope for this one from the word go.

Whether that is true or not (it certainly wasn't the case for me) it really has no baring on whether the film is good or not. Unlike the numerous deus ex machinas that people here were complaining about in Star Trek and TS, this movie is full of them.

Let's just follow the spark fragment that Sam finds.

Why did the spark fragment fill sam with visions when the whole freaking cube didn't?

Why give the spark to Megan Fox to give to the autobots when one lives in the garage?

If the transformers are drawn to the spark energy how come BB didn't notice it when it was 25 feet away?

Why didn't Sam mention the spark when he met with Optimus Prime

Why didn't Sam use the spark to raise Optimus prime instead of Jetfire?

These are just obvious plot holes, it's not like when people complained in TF how plates were flipped and in one moment sam is running towards the camera and in the next away.

But beyond all that, it just wasn't exciting. There was no tension, there was no suspense. Stuff just happens. Now, I appreciate loud and bombastic sequences as much as the next guy. Personally I think michael bay is one of the better directors when it comes to stuff like car chases and making explosions look fantastic but this movie didn't even deliver on that. I can think of a handful of memorable sequences in TF that stick with me today. Stuff like the freeway chase where bonecrusher destroys the bus and the ensuing fight. SS and Blackout transforming at street level, ironhide's gun assisted cartwheel over screaming girl... some really fun and even inspired visuals.

What did TF2 have that came close to matching that? Personally, nothing came close.

While I can agree the overall lack of common sense written into most movies is stupid, this time it doesn't detract from the whole film. Even with Sam standing there lying to his girlfriend who knew about everything related to the TFs, lying to Prime and BB and not doing the obvious thing and talking about the shard I still sat there waiting for more.

I laughed at the dogs humping. I laughed at the entirely unnecessary stoned mom scenes and every scene with the Twins in it. I cheered when Optimus made his entrance. I cheered at his and BB's overall ass kickery. I rolled my eyes at Wheelie humping her leg and the giant robot testicles. The list goes on and on in both directions. Good and bad.

Even with all of that, I still think the movie was amazing, fun and worth seeing more than once.

I went to the theater expecting to relax and have fun, I didn't expect to see a brilliant movie, I knew what I was going to see and I enjoyed it, I got of out of the theater with a big grin on my face with my girl on my arm discussing how fun the movie was

I didn't WASTE my time, complaining about plotholes, racist slurs or stereotype and its cheap humor nor did I LOOSE any sleep over it, I understand why some people bash the movie, but again, it was a Michael Bay movie, EVERYBODY KNOWS how he makes his movies so why the f*ck do they go see a movie that they just know will not be to their likings, seriously, retarted

I don't eat to broccoli, some people like it, I don't, I know this, so I don't put a piece of broccoli in my mouth knowing what it is and then bitch about to everyone

IT'S A MOVIE! GET OVER IT

I remember it was red, but can't remember if they got the shape right. How exactly did Jetfire's drag chute look? Interestingly, one of the first pics I found online is that exact SR-71---probably landing at Dulles even.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...F-1234P-050.jpg

I love the quote, because all it says is that people think it's better than number 1. That's not a very tall order by any means. Polling is very rarely about getting true numbers, it's about providing the people paying you with numbers they will like. You ask questions a certain way to elicit a certain response. They didn't ask if people thought the movie was great as a Transformers interpretation, they merely asked if it was better than the first, which I think most people will agree with me in saying it was better than the first.

Whether that is true or not (it certainly wasn't the case for me) it really has no baring on whether the film is good or not. Unlike the numerous deus ex machinas that people here were complaining about in Star Trek and TS, this movie is full of them.

Let's just follow the spark fragment that Sam finds.

Why did the spark fragment fill sam with visions when the whole freaking cube didn't?

Why give the spark to Megan Fox to give to the autobots when one lives in the garage?

If the transformers are drawn to the spark energy how come BB didn't notice it when it was 25 feet away?

Why didn't Sam mention the spark when he met with Optimus Prime

Why didn't Sam use the spark to raise Optimus prime instead of Jetfire?

These are just obvious plot holes, it's not like when people complained in TF how plates were flipped and in one moment sam is running towards the camera and in the next away.

But beyond all that, it just wasn't exciting. There was no tension, there was no suspense. Stuff just happens. Now, I appreciate loud and bombastic sequences as much as the next guy. Personally I think michael bay is one of the better directors when it comes to stuff like car chases and making explosions look fantastic but this movie didn't even deliver on that. I can think of a handful of memorable sequences in TF that stick with me today. Stuff like the freeway chase where bonecrusher destroys the bus and the ensuing fight. SS and Blackout transforming at street level, ironhide's gun assisted cartwheel over screaming girl... some really fun and even inspired visuals.

What did TF2 have that came close to matching that? Personally, nothing came close.

Ok, some of us have been quite vocal about us enjoying the films, despite its "weaknesses". It's not as if we didn't recognize these things. it's not as if we're really morons (i'd like to think we're smarter than the average bear). how about we just say that we were just fortunate enough to go into the movie theater with the perfect frame of mind to enjoy it for what it was, so much so that these plot holes you mentioned just didn't bother us too much. if just for that, can't you be happy for us? ;)

quite frankly, you giving off a lost of plot holes, and your condescending tone on enumerating them, doesn't really help. The fact that you have a list already seems to show that you're already making up a case for "why i should hate this movie" , as if you had to defend your position. you don't have to. I actually read Topless Robot's Transformers 2 FAQ's and I loved them; utterly hilarious. mostly because the plot holes are there, and i did recognize them, but it doesn't change the fact that i enjoyed the movie nonetheless. in that sense, i'm just lucky, i guess.

I liked Armageddon and loved the first TF film, but this one gave me a headache most of the time. Guess I am getting too old for non-stop action. And I really hated the master-apprentice relationship between Fallen and Megatron. The theme has become a cliche and given Megatron's character, his subservient attitude makes no sense anyway. I was hoping that the Fallen would be some sort of common enemy for both the bots and cons, but oh well...

Ok, some of us have been quite vocal about us enjoying the films, despite its "weaknesses". It's not as if we didn't recognize these things. it's not as if we're really morons (i'd like to think we're smarter than the average bear). how about we just say that we were just fortunate enough to go into the movie theater with the perfect frame of mind to enjoy it for what it was, so much so that these plot holes you mentioned just didn't bother us too much. if just for that, can't you be happy for us? ;)

quite frankly, you giving off a lost of plot holes, and your condescending tone on enumerating them, doesn't really help. The fact that you have a list already seems to show that you're already making up a case for "why i should hate this movie" , as if you had to defend your position. you don't have to. I actually read Topless Robot's Transformers 2 FAQ's and I loved them; utterly hilarious. mostly because the plot holes are there, and i did recognize them, but it doesn't change the fact that i enjoyed the movie nonetheless. in that sense, i'm just lucky, i guess.

My condescending tone? lol. I'm just saying I didn't like the movie and so far all I see are people attacking people who didn't like the personally for not liking it. From the innocuous "you already had your mind made up" claim to the " you just don't like action movies" and now this ridiculous claim of being condescending.

I've gotten into heated debates with several board members here about how it's perfectly fine to have mindless action flicks. I've defended the first transformers movie numerous times and I believe I'm on record here early on saying this movie will be a blast and I voted that way in the poll. I like mindless action movies, i even defended Terminator Salvation as not being the worst thing ever and got called names for it there as well. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I thoroughly enjoyed Armageddon and Bad Boyz, loved the Rock, and even.. EVEN enjoyed myself at the Island. I like big set pieces, action sequences, ridiculously hot girls wearing skimpy clothing on motorcycles and I love seeing this inappropriately blow up.

The fact that I have a list of plot holes doesn't mean sh!t other than I saw the movie and no, I wasn't looking for them, they were just so glaringly obvious. It's not like how i'm complaining about how the CIA manhunt angle was just dropped for no reason or other tangential subplots, I'm talking about the main driving plot of the whole freaking movie doesn't make sense.

If you liked the movie, fine, great for you. I'm happy you liked it and just like you feel the need to gush about it, I feel the need to talk about how much I hated it. I don't need to call you names or start fabricating bullsh!t about you to make my case, I can just talk about the movie, why don't you try the same?

Edited by eugimon

I love the quote, because all it says is that people think it's better than number 1. That's not a very tall order by any means. Polling is very rarely about getting true numbers, it's about providing the people paying you with numbers they will like. You ask questions a certain way to elicit a certain response. They didn't ask if people thought the movie was great as a Transformers interpretation, they merely asked if it was better than the first, which I think most people will agree with me in saying it was better than the first.

Why would I agree with you on that? Why would/should "most people"?

To be clear, I'm with Chewie and the group who's position is summed up as, "despite the film's flaws, watching Revenge of the Fallen was an enjoyable experience for me." I'll go so far as to admit a chuckle when Jetfire farted his chute, and when Simmons found himself staring at Devestator's balls.

But the movie did have its problems. That's not to say that the first one didn't, but I generally found them to be more irritating in RotF. The ones that specifically bothered me the most was the whole using the Allspark fragment to revive Jetfire to find the Matrix to resurrect Prime instead of using the shard to resurrect Prime, the brevity of a lot of the robots' screen time, and the super annoying racist twins. So to that end, I thought the first one was better.

If you liked the movie, fine, great for you. I'm happy you liked it and just like you feel the need to gush about it, I feel the need to talk about how much I hated it. I don't need to call you names or start fabricating bullsh!t about you to make my case, I can just talk about the movie, why don't you try the same?

wow. a potshot in disguise, if ever i saw one. <_< all i'm saying is that chewie didn't even go into the merits of the movie, and just voiced out that he liked it. why then the need to explain yourself? you said that you didn't come into the movie with bias. that's fine, and i never saw any reason to disbelieve that at all. but i don't get how that list of "plot holes" was supposed to prove that you had no bias. non sequitur. as i said, no one questioned it. so if anything, that came out as... "how could you possibly think that was a good movie? didn't you see these things that are wrong with it?" if that was not your intention, then i obviously misunderstood.

i don't think i called you a name or fabricated bull about you. but if that's how you felt about it, i apologize. frankly, i feel a bit embarassed that i'm even arguing about TF. so i'll stay quiet now. peace. :)

wow. a potshot in disguise, if ever i saw one. <_< all i'm saying is that chewie didn't even go into the merits of the movie, and just voiced out that he liked it. why then the need to explain yourself? you said that you didn't come into the movie with bias. that's fine, and i never saw any reason to disbelieve that at all. but i don't get how that list of "plot holes" was supposed to prove that you had no bias. non sequitur. as i said, no one questioned it. so if anything, that came out as... "how could you possibly think that was a good movie? didn't you see these things that are wrong with it?" if that was not your intention, then i obviously misunderstood.

i don't think i called you a name or fabricated bull about you. but if that's how you felt about it, i apologize. frankly, i feel a bit embarassed that i'm even arguing about TF. so i'll stay quiet now. peace. :)

If you read what I wrote from the beginning it makes perfect sense. I was disputing the underlying notion that somehow I talked myself into disliking the movie before I saw it. I was writing that I disliked the movie on its own merits and gave supporting evidence. I thought it would be better than writing, "nuh-uh".

For that I was called condescending. I was nothing of the sort, Chewie expressed him opinion and I expressed mine and gave some reasons as to how I came upon that opinion.