The Transformers 2 Thread--A Michael Bay thread

areaseven

Transformers 2  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, what did you think of it?

• It was better than the first.
    • It was worse than the first.
    • Who cares?! Both movies suck!
    • Me Grimlock still want stomp Michael Bay!
  2. 2. How many times have you seen this film so far?

• Once. That's it.
    • 2-3 times.
    • 4-5 times.
    • I lost count.
    • Zero. I'll just rent it later this year.
    • Zero. You ain't paying me to watch that crap.
  3. 3. Given its current box office numbers, will this film eventually surpass The Dark Knight and/or Titanic in ticket sales?

• It'll overtake The Dark Knight, but that's it.
    • That ship is going down!
    • Not a chance.

I would think so yes....cause every non-discerning movie goer i know loves the movie and says i'm being overly critical/serious/analytical about it. =.=;;

Btw can we change the poll to "what you think of the movie?"

Edited by wolfx

Saw it with a bunch of buddies. Didn't want to see it but I wanted to go with my boys anyways. Saw Terminator Salvation, Star Trek this summer, so why not the last summer blockbuster? Overall, like T:Salvation, it's a good action flick, but I'm still not fond of Bayformers.

+ Megan Fox: The main reason I was willing to watch any of the TF movies. A bit of mild Fan Service was a nice reward. She can paint my bike anytime.

+/- If you want pure action, I guess this is your flick. Rare is a minute in this movie where huge objects aren't flying around or something isn't being blown up.

- Some seriously out of place dialogue. I mean, really... "Punk a** Decepticons," and those 2 twins... I rolled my eyes but at least I didn't sigh out loud.

+ Seeing alot of military hardware.

- Bay SERIOUSLY needs to back the view up some more on the action scenes. I got really irritated by looking point blank at some robot's panel when we could be having a better view of the overall action and movements. The forest fight with Prime showed some potential on what could be done, but lots of point blank actions scenes that should've been done differently are scattered about. Not as bad as the first movie (lots of close ups AND dark lighting) but leaves something to be seriously desired.

- Did Sam's parents REALLY have to be having that much screen time? Especially towards the last scenes? Early on they were fine, especially with the mom & dad's innuendo, but when the story progressed to the end, they were out of place (IMO).

- Megatron's master / mentor = HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. What was his d**n name anyways? Was it really "Fallen?" If so, HUGE, LAME DISAPPOINTMENT.

- Bay copped out by not keeping Optimus Prime dead. Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, this movie could've been a cool "Empire Strikes Back" where the Decepticons really shine and for once not appear to be a bunch of incompetent fools. Show the Autobots being beaten. Keep Prime dead, or somehow pass on leadership. I really thought this movie was going to introduce Rodimus Prime, but I guess I was wrong.

- Jetfire having no real chance to shine. Didn't fight in jet mode with Starscream or something. Disappointing.

- Last fight scene of Prime vs HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT GUY: Biggest letdown of the movie. It was a good thing I didn't yawn when the fight started, otherwise I would've missed the entire thing.

Edited by Warmaker

saw it.

It was HORRIBLE. The action sucked, the story sucked (even for a MB film) there was stupid amounts of 8 year old humor (what the hell is it with MB and animal sex?), the CG was bad (some parts looked like stop motion it was so choppy), stupid amounts of racist sh!t.

It's the worst movie I've seen in a long time.

And this is coming from someone who actually enjoyed the first Transformers movie, so no, I'm not just jumping on the bay hate wagon.

I can forgive a lot if an action movie is exciting... but this movie had no suspense, the action just seemed like the highlight reel from the last movie. It brought nothing new to the table and in its excess, pushed some of the fun bits right out on to the floor where bay's two f@cking dogs promptly sh!t on it.

Speaking of sh!t, that's probably the one piece of juvenile "humor" that didn't make it into this movie. Hope MB can "squeeze" it into the next one. :rolleyes:

Edited by eugimon

Saw it. Loved it. Maybe I'm more easily entertained these days, but yesterday was a great day all around.*

I went in having read several of the reviews decrying it as racist, too much action, Bay's juvenile sense of humor, etc, but was honestly happier with this movie than I was with the first. If anything, I think it was too short with the scope it was trying to convey, as we got pretty minimal time with the supporting cast (honestly, what did Lennox really achieve in this film?), and many of the scenes seemed to just rush into one another at a fast pace that I could see being off-putting to some viewers.

I am bugged by the perception of the movie as racist. The Twins, which reviewers decry as horribly negative ethnic stereotypes, had the numerous black theater-goers howling with laughter at the showing I attended. To offer my perspective, Sam's insane parents were probably the funniest to me, both the crazy out-of-touch mom and the cheapskate dad - would that make the film racist against white suburbanites? I see the film as actually being more inclusive because of the diversity of comic relief - theater-goers from different ethnic groups or walks of life can all go in and see characters which reflect the zaniest sort of folks they are likely to have met in their own lives. And like another post above had stated, characters of differing ethnicities are portrayed in roles both professional and heroic, as well as humorous and inept. Let's also not overlook how the Twins really were able to shine when they needed to.

I am glad I bought the comic adaptation, and would recommend that everyone who's seen the movie also check it out, because some points were lost in the film that could have helped explain things better. In the comic, for example,

attention is drawn to the fact that the Mission City battle at the end of the first film was portrayed in the media as a prominent defense contractor's prototype robot soldiers going haywire... for those who are asking how the public seemed so unaware of the previous events in this film, that little tidbit would have helped greatly. Also the point that Alice was a Decepticon who trans-scanned an animatronic Alice in Wonderland doll from a TV show, giving her her human appearance (and name).

I would recommend this film to anyone who's on the fence about it. As I describe it to people, it's "more of TF1." Everything you would have liked about the first film is in this one 150%, and anything you might have found off-putting about the first film is also in this one 150%.

*I dubbed yesterday "Valhalla Day," in honor of the fact that I woke up, spent all day at war (Jiu Jitsu tournament) and all night feasting and celebrating (sushi and TF movie).

Saw it with a bunch of buddies. Didn't want to see it but I wanted to go with my boys anyways. Saw Terminator Salvation, Star Trek this summer, so why not the last summer blockbuster? Overall, like T:Salvation, it's a good action flick, but I'm still not fond of Bayformers.

+ Megan Fox: The main reason I was willing to watch any of the TF movies. A bit of mild Fan Service was a nice reward. She can paint my bike anytime.

+/- If you want pure action, I guess this is your flick. Rare is a minute in this movie where huge objects aren't flying around or something isn't being blown up.

- Some seriously out of place dialogue. I mean, really... "Punk a** Decepticons," and those 2 twins... I rolled my eyes but at least I didn't sigh out loud.

+ Seeing alot of military hardware.

- Bay SERIOUSLY needs to back the view up some more on the action scenes. I got really irritated by looking point blank at some robot's panel when we could be having a better view of the overall action and movements. The forest fight with Prime showed some potential on what could be done, but lots of point blank actions scenes that should've been done differently are scattered about. Not as bad as the first movie (lots of close ups AND dark lighting) but leaves something to be seriously desired.

- Did Sam's parents REALLY have to be having that much screen time? Especially towards the last scenes? Early on they were fine, especially with the mom & dad's innuendo, but when the story progressed to the end, they were out of place (IMO).

- Megatron's master / mentor = HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. What was his d**n name anyways? Was it really "Fallen?" If so, HUGE, LAME DISAPPOINTMENT.

- Bay copped out by not keeping Optimus Prime dead. Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, this movie could've been a cool "Empire Strikes Back" where the Decepticons really shine and for once not appear to be a bunch of incompetent fools. Show the Autobots being beaten. Keep Prime dead, or somehow pass on leadership. I really thought this movie was going to introduce Rodimus Prime, but I guess I was wrong.

- Jetfire having no real chance to shine. Didn't fight in jet mode with Starscream or something. Disappointing.

- Last fight scene of Prime vs HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT GUY: Biggest letdown of the movie. It was a good thing I didn't yawn when the fight started, otherwise I would've missed the entire thing.

Man, I agree almost everything you just comment.

I didn't really like the first one, but I do enjoy this one as a summer action movie. And the actions in later part of the movie are too long.

Guest sh002

it's funny to read the description for the devastator toy.

The ultimate DECEPTICON® weapon has arrived on Earth, and nothing will ever be the same. CONSTRUCTICON DEVASTATOR is the biggest robot ever—towering above AUTOBOTS® and DECEPTICONS alike. As his Vortex Grinder snaps open and glows with power, all before him quake in fear, knowing their destruction is inevitable!

Combine all six detailed vehicles – including MIXMASTER vehicle with motion-activated vehicle and conversion sounds! – to create the mighty CONSTRUCTICON DEVASTATOR figure! Lights and destruction sounds show his enemies he means business and when this CONSTRUCTICON DEVASTATOR figure speaks, they’re sure to run in fear! Recreate exciting movie scenes right in your living room with this super-cool figure.

and then you find out what happens to him.

Fallen was pretty much his name in both the movie and pre-existing canon (comics) so blame them if you don't like his name.

And how would a Blackbird fight an F-22 exactly? Do they even have weapons?

I also didn't notice any bad special effects. I mean it's F**king ILM how often do they put out bad effects?

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Fallen was pretty much his name in both the movie and pre-existing canon (comics) so blame them if you don't like his name.

I also didn't notice any bad special effects. I mean it's F**king ILM how often do they put out bad effects?

the frame rates on the bots wasn't consistent. Some shots in the trees and else where it drops out of synch with the live action stuff.

Bayformers seem to sprout weapons anywhere, so why not arm an SR-71 Jetfire? The movie goes out of its way to be "cool" and "hip," Prime sprouting fiery blades out of his arms (new to me), etc. So why not arm Jetfire?

Hmm interesting, I'll have to keep my eyes open for it, since I'll probably log another trip to the theater. Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious to see how bad it is.

It's there, a couple of shots in the forest and then some more later on with the twins, the frame rate drops and it looks weird.

And I'm not talking about the zach snyder-esque slow and go type shots.

I *really* wanted to see Jetfire in jet mode just flying along for a few secs---up high, low across the desert, whatever---just show us a Blackbird on the big screen.

Fighting Starscream would have been a very cool bonus. First movie showed SS is quite adept at transforming, flying, and fighting all at once---surely Jetfire can too. Or at the very least---just have Jetfire simply out-run SS! Just show us the speed and power of a Blackbird at some point, in some way.

Bayformers seem to sprout weapons anywhere, so why not arm an SR-71 Jetfire? The movie goes out of its way to be "cool" and "hip," Prime sprouting fiery blades out of his arms (new to me), etc. So why not arm Jetfire?

Prime sprouted a fiery blade out of his arm in the first movie.

Wow. Is that really what the public wants to see and experience?

Yeah, no kidding. These days, I know I'm going to get a subpar story going in, so for what I'm paying I want to be blown away by incredible visuals and awesome fight scenes most of the time I'm watching, not inappropriate toilet humor and weak teenage drama. If I want to see that, I'll pay to see The Hangover or Hannah Montana and know that that is what I'm going to get. The only great fight scene was the one in the forest where Optimus showed just how awesome a fighter he can be (ignore Sam's stupid attempt at fleeing, of course, but then again, Optimus was keeping him from getting killed). The rest were hard to follow or unbelievably stupid until Optimus showed up (any scene with Sam and Mikaela outrunning huge robots has got to be stupid). I think we are getting to the point where actors in a movie like this need to get paid alot less and more of the budget that isn't already spent on effects and CG should be.

I *really* wanted to see Jetfire in jet mode just flying along for a few secs---up high, low across the desert, whatever---just show us a Blackbird on the big screen.

Fighting Starscream would have been a very cool bonus. First movie showed SS is quite adept at transforming, flying, and fighting all at once---surely Jetfire can too. Or at the very least---just have Jetfire simply out-run SS! Just show us the speed and power of a Blackbird at some point, in some way.

It's not just Jetfire... the first movie did a good job of showcasing the bot's alt vehicle modes. SS got to dogfight, blackout had some awesome moments, etc. This movie, not so much. I mean, what the hell did Megs turn into? His tank mode was shown for a half second and only the ass end of his jet mode. The rest of the time it was just a bot on bot orgy. The only transformer who got any real screen time in his vehicle mode was that leg humping RC truck.

Though I have to say, the scene where Megan Fox is apologizing/threatening leg humping RC bot was funny.

Well Prime had his sword in the first one which was a sort of fan service throwback to his old energon axe.

While it there is some truth to the weapons thing, it's usually in bot mode only. If the SR-71 started lobbing missiles we'd have people complaining about that too. I remember discussions about the inaccuracies of the F-22 models from the first movie on this forum (and others), guess you can't make everyone happy.

On another note, I think we might have seen a longer Prime/Fallen fight if Prime hadn't gotten Jetfire upgrades. I imagine Prime would've won in the end still, it just would've been longer. But as far as I could tell, the Matrix brought him back but didn't repair him, so I just saw it as he needed the parts to even compete, but they also gave him the edge. But that's purely my interpretation.

It's not just Jetfire... the first movie did a good job of showcasing the bot's alt vehicle modes. SS got to dogfight, blackout had some awesome moments, etc. This movie, not so much. I mean, what the hell did Megs turn into? His tank mode was shown for a half second and only the ass end of his jet mode. The rest of the time it was just a bot on bot orgy. The only transformer who got any real screen time in his vehicle mode was that leg humping RC truck.

Guess they're trying to get people to buy the toys to clear up all the confusion from the movie. I still don't know the name of most of the bots in the film.

So.... Are Save and myself the only ones who thought it bizarre that the Autobots, mainly Prime, are now bloodthirsty brutes, inhumanely slaying sentient beings whilst wisecracking left right and centre? The whole NEST operation thing seems like persecution. Hunting down every remaining punkass Decepticon. Especially seeing as the second half of the movie goes out of its way to make a point that changing sides is a personal decision. Did anyone inform Prime of this? No wonder he wasn't the least bit moved when Jetfire gave his life for him. He's like "Yeah, you better sacrifice yourself for my sins, Decepticon pig."

Nobody thought the way Prime killed that thing in Shanghai was reminiscent of Megatron killing Ironhide in the cartoon?

I like the idea of Prime in action, but his style should be to always maintain honour even in battle. This Prime is getting high off the fumes, or something. The way he raises his arms after killing the Blackout clone... Jesus.

Really? No-one thought that the noble warriors are now out-of-place killing machines? As if telling the robots apart wasn't hard enough in the first place.

Oh, and where the hell do lines like "I stand, you fall" and "Give me your FACE!!!!!! AARGH!" come from??! Yeah, they should put that on those talking Prime helmets and stuff, that'll be a good role model for kids.

Edited by Renato

What exactly are the Autobots supposed to do? Throw them in robot jail? Or maybe offer the Fallen a chance to surrender? The Earth and its people are basically under the Autobots protection at this point, again what options do they really have? Especially when they threaten to destroy all life on the planet or tear up major cities or whatever?

I don't think that the Autobots are really out of character at all. They are willing to put themselves on the line to protect the planet and its people, even when at least some of the people in the world show little to no appreciation for what they've done. That seems pretty noble to me.

What exactly are the Autobots supposed to do? Throw them in robot jail? Or maybe offer the Fallen a chance to surrender? The Earth and its people are basically under the Autobots protection at this point, again what options do they really have? Especially when they threaten to destroy all life on the planet or tear up major cities or whatever?

I don't think that the Autobots are really out of character at all. They are willing to put themselves on the line to protect the planet and its people, even when at least some of the people in the world show little to no appreciation for what they've done. That seems pretty noble to me.

Yeah, you're right. I had forgotten how Peter Parker ripped out Osborn's skull and spine at the end of the first Spider-Man movie. :rolleyes::lol:

Yeah, you're right. I had forgotten how Peter Parker ripped out Osborn's skull and spine at the end of the first Spider-Man movie. :rolleyes::lol:

that would have made the movie much better and if he then used the spine as whip to beat up harry. :lol:

I get the sarcasm and all :p Still Osborn had a place he could go and wasn't really so powerful as to threaten humanity :p

Yeah, I know, it was just the first "example" I thought of. Seriously, though, at least the "Give me your face!!" thing, you've got to raise an eyebrow at that. They might as well have gone the whole hog and have Prime actually put the Fallen's face on his own and prance around going

"ooh, I'm the Fallen, gonna kill you all! Ooh, ooh, fear me!! Heh, ya f%&$in' p&%%y!"

"Heh, you're funny, Prime"

"I know, Sam. Now where's that Alice chick? I'm all high on energon and there ain't no time to be wastin', we need some more Prime decendants!"

So.... Are Save and myself the only ones who thought it bizarre that the Autobots, mainly Prime, are now bloodthirsty brutes, inhumanely slaying sentient beings whilst wisecracking left right and centre? The whole NEST operation thing seems like persecution. Hunting down every remaining punkass Decepticon. Especially seeing as the second half of the movie goes out of its way to make a point that changing sides is a personal decision. Did anyone inform Prime of this? No wonder he wasn't the least bit moved when Jetfire gave his life for him. He's like "Yeah, you better sacrifice yourself for my sins, Decepticon pig."

Nobody thought the way Prime killed that thing in Shanghai was reminiscent of Megatron killing Ironhide in the cartoon?

I like the idea of Prime in action, but his style should be to always maintain honour even in battle. This Prime is getting high off the fumes, or something. The way he raises his arms after killing the Blackout clone... Jesus.

Really? No-one thought that the noble warriors are now out-of-place killing machines? As if telling the robots apart wasn't hard enough in the first place.

Oh, and where the hell do lines like "I stand, you fall" and "Give me your FACE!!!!!! AARGH!" come from??! Yeah, they should put that on those talking Prime helmets and stuff, that'll be a good role model for kids.

I noticed how Optimus has gone dirty harry in this movie, but i'm not particularly bothered by it. in fact, it made sense to me since these sentient beings were supposed to have been fighting a war for ages. made sense that they'd kill each other any chance they got.

on the other hand, humans better start worrying if they ever declared war on optimus prime... :p

p.s. the "I stand, you fall" part is probably another reference to the animated movie line (one of us stands, the other falls), which was also quoted in the first movie. although i have to admit, i felt that particular line was forced in this movie. "hey prime, can't you think of another one??"

Well Lennox and the govt. guy(forgot this guy's name) went over it when they were arguing. The Decepticons want Sam and Lennox doesn't want to budge while the other guy doesn't care and wants the Autobots to leave and let the Decepticons have Sam he even suggests having negotiations with the Decepticons. Lennox and NEST know that the Decepticons won't really negotiate or do anything peaceful, so NEST and the Autobots are hunting them down. After what happened in TF1, I think they are trying to prevent anything like it from happening again.

Also, the Decepticons had just blown up an entire carrier fleet just by crashing into it, and wrecked shop elsewhere, so it's not like a peace treaty with them or a hug would stop them. It doesn't help that Starscream and Blackout could use EMP's to block out communication.

As for Jetfire, by the time Prime even saw him he had helped the humans and perhaps Prime figured, if Jetfire were really bad he would have already killed the humans that he transported, like Sam, Leo, et al.