Dragon Ball movie rescued from dev hell?

...except Troll 2. And Turkish Star Wars. And "Manos": The Hands of Fate.

I applaud your awful movie references. Given your taste, have you ever seen "Armageddon: The Final Challenge"?

I recommend it for an awful movie viewing experience, but not alone or sober.

I'm morbidly interested in seeing Dragonball. I never could stand the series, but this could be fun. Probably won't want to watch it sober, though.

Went to see Marley and Me with the Girlfriend and kids and there was a Dragon Ball Z trailer.

My girlfriend got this really worried look on her face like "oh no! Please God, tell me he's not going to drag me to see this" ... since I did drag her to see Transformers and will drag her to see Terminator Salvation and TF2 - I reassured her that I wouldn't take her to see this...

My impression?

Well - I was kind of pleased that people still make BAD movies, that it's not something that doesn't exist any more. It's just a typical B-type movie that sucks with a lot of ka-pow! action.

I actually might see it - just need to get lots and lots of pop corn and be in the right (aka brain dead) mood for it.

Pete

I saw the figures at Walmart last week. You would think that in these bad economic times, Bandai would have shelved this movie, but I guess they think there's enough of a fanbase for the animated series that will see the movie. I would rather they try and bring back Gundam figures to the US.

Yeah, this scene's been played out thousands of times on YouTube, but it's still better than watching Dragon Ball: Evolution.

The exact same clip have been used on Macross(can't remember the content), can't remember whether I saw it here or on the Chinese forum, anyone has it?

Back to topic, I watched DB with 2 friends in cinema, 1 of them actually think it's average, and the other think it's funny. I just it's really lame.

• 2 weeks later...

Friend of mine wanted to see this, so we went on the cheap movie day (1000yen).

It was hilarious. Almost intentionally so. Certainly entertaining enough that I didn't feel like I wasted my money. I would wager that compared to other comic book adaptions, Dragonball is probably better than most. I certainly enjoyed it more than I enjoyed any super hero movie I've seen, but then I realize that Dragonball is a dumb comic and don't freak out because OMG IT'S NOT A FAITHFUL ADAPTION.

The dumbest moment was probably when they listed Dragonball as a "graphic novel" in the credits. Bad enough that stupid label gets brought out for stuff like Watchmen, but for Dragonball? Give me a break.

It's still a bad movie, but it could have been a lot worse... Just be thankful it wasn't done by the Japanese film industry.

I saw the figures at Walmart last week. You would think that in these bad economic times, Bandai would have shelved this movie, but I guess they think there's enough of a fanbase for the animated series that will see the movie. I would rather they try and bring back Gundam figures to the US.

I can't believe Cartoon Network actually endorsed this movie and made it sound like it was the anime brought to life....big mistake CN, big mistake...

(WARNING: NSFW!)

Officer: "Sir, it is Executive Producer Tim Van Rellin."

Adolf Hitler: "Is that so? Executive Producer Tim Van Rellin... Cut his f**king balls off!."

Officer: "You don't think that's a little extreme?"

Adolf Hitler: "IT'S HIS OR YOURS!!!!"

**Officer leaves to do his duty**

in a perfect world. of course they'd also be able to sell macross in the US and Takara-Tomy would bring back zoids. :D

I can't believe Cartoon Network actually endorsed this movie and made it sound like it was the anime brought to life....big mistake CN, big mistake...

They did the same thing for the Ben10 and Speed Racer live movies, I think. I thought CN lost their anime cred with Toonami gone and Adult Swim faltering a bit?

EDIT: Ladies and gentlemen, stay indoors on April 10th and at least a week after.

Dragonball Evolution Doesn’t Need Reviews

Btw, has anyone seen/participated in a fan riot before?

Edited by Einherjar

Everyone remember Mortal Combat? .. my god it's so bad, the bastards played it on austar (pay) and i accidently landed on it flickin through channels.

I doubt DB will be that bad, but i'll be not paying to see it thats for sure.. looks gumby.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I still remember in the 90s my friend dragging me to see Mortal Kombat in theaters. It was bad, but considering its video game to movie predecessors, it was alright. The sequel however from what I heard was absolutely atrocious. My roommate when I was in Okinawa saw it. I laughed at him for doing so :lol:

I also recall in 1998 during one summer day that my friend and I were debating which movie to watch on this certain weekend. Godzilla (Americanized one with Matthew Broderick) or Deep Impact. We ended up watching both :o

Edited by Warmaker

I still remember in the 90s my friend dragging me to see Mortal Kombat in theaters. It was bad, but considering its video game to movie predecessors, it was alright. The sequel however from what I heard was absolutely atrocious. My roommate when I was in Okinawa saw it. I laughed at him for doing so :lol:

And rightly so. Hell, you should've given him a wedgie, too.

Just two more days until this turd comes around. With the strong emotions regarding the film, I hope the reaction from this will make an impact on the other anime and video game film productions being planned. Seriously, all the news about live adaptations are getting embarrassing.

Everyone remember Mortal Combat? .. my god it's so bad, the bastards played it on austar (pay) and i accidently landed on it flickin through channels.

I doubt DB will be that bad, but i'll be not paying to see it thats for sure.. looks gumby.

Mortal Kombat 1 was good. Mortal Kombat 2 sucked ass.

The movie's been out in Asia for a month. You can find screeners all over the net. It really is as bad as they say. It makes no sense without prior knowledge and is inept enough to make Wing Commander the movie look well executed.

okay i haven't got much to do on my lunch break so i just spent the last 10 minutes reading about all this (well kinda, i didn't read in great detail) and i kinda want it back...... ^_^

The one thing i don't think has been mentioned is the Guyer live action movie, i was so young and excited about it but i just felt dirty after seeing it.....

And the DB movie looks just as bad!!!!!!

I agree with graham, leave anime in its animated form!