Dragon Ball movie rescued from dev hell?

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=12002

So it seems that James Wong of X-Files and Final Destination fame is now attached to write and direct a live-action DB movie. God, and here I had been close to comparing the Gatchaman movie to this supposedly dead project. Does this mean that we have to start worrying about the live action GITS* movie again?

ie, a franchise actually worth caring about.

If having a DBZ movie = having a live action Gits then bring on DBZ.

It's not like many people are huge fans of DBZ here anyway right? 10 minute speeches before being able to kill things, moves that blow up chunks of the floor, and people who just keep getting stronger and stronger to a ridiculous levels that they are no longer in danger of ever dying or being killed by anything due to that power, so there is no reason to keep watching anymore..

Actually one of the things the matrix movie fights reminded me of was dragonball and to a lesser extent akira because of the superhuman strength and environmental destruction in the cg fights. Maybe they can pull off a decent superhero movie with it and take out all the cheese from the cartoons?

Ghost in the shell would be easy to do because it looks like something audiences are already familiar with through movies like blade runner. And it's trying to be somewhat realistic in the manga and anime anyway. (I like to think of Motoko as just a "terminator" that can run and jump fast)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Properly done, I believe a GITS movie could be breathtaking. The trouble is that the odds are really stacked against it getting a creative team who "gets" the material. Would anybody want to see a GITS movie directed by Brett Ratner?

Live action Ghost In The Shell, especially if still faithful to the manga? Yummy!

How about live action Appleseed? The story won't make much sense, but it'll be cool still! B)) If done right, of course.

I wonder who'd make a good Deunan. Or make a good Motoko.

It's not like many people are huge fans of DBZ here anyway right?

Dude.

DBZ is HUGE all over the world. Especially in South America and Australia.

I'm sure they're other places that love it too.

Live action Ghost In The Shell, especially if still faithful to the manga? Yummy!

How about live action Appleseed? The story won't make much sense, but it'll be cool still! B)) If done right, of course.

I wonder who'd make a good Deunan. Or make a good Motoko.

Milla Jovovich. :lol:

And screw GITS and Blood....I want EVA. :lol:

That's true, however...

Ghost in the shell would be easy to do because it looks like something audiences are already familiar with through movies like blade runner. And it's trying to be somewhat realistic in the manga and anime anyway. (I like to think of Motoko as just a "terminator" that can run and jump fast)

My concern with a live action GITS movie is that, based on current trends, it would likely be more akin to Aeon Flux than Blade Runner. :wacko:

While i love Vegeta, my all time fav kick ass DBZ char, i fear for his cred to be humanized. :(

Wait, is this Dragon Ball? Or Dragon Ball Z?

IF they can hire decent actors, and keep up with the comedy and effects of Kung Fu Hustle, Dragon Ball will be a hit.

But Dragon Ball Z.... i dunno.

:lol: Live action Ranma! Oh god how it would be neutered. Besides I doubt they could find anyone hot enough to play girl-type Ranma, who would be able to do the choreography for the fight scenes and act. :p

Might as well do Gall Force, live action. It's basically Alien anyway. :p

I have to agree with Graham, no live action anime especially from Hollywood or Bollywood

If they want to make a live action from animation, just make Smurf live action and watch them suck the drain :lol:

Just follow what Spielberg do with Bee the movie, he gave up making the life action so he switched to animation :lol:

Even if this live action adaption is 100% faithful, it's going to be pretty lame because DBZ is... pretty lame. Nothing like a 300 hour movie to account for "powering up."

Frankly, DBZ has already been merchandised to hell and back, no one's going to ruin it by making a live action movie.

Some of us like waiting 2-3 episodes before the fun begins. Because once the fighting starts, you're tuned in...bigtime.

Even if this live action adaption is 100% faithful, it's going to be pretty lame because DBZ is... pretty lame. Nothing like a 300 hour movie to account for "powering up."

Frankly, DBZ has already been merchandised to hell and back, no one's going to ruin it by making a live action movie.

It's only a matter of time before we see new DB anime/OVA come out. There's millions of DB fans out there.

second that. I'm looking at my SS Vegeta fig and seasons 1-3 right now.

My favorite series in DBZ was when Goku first battled Freeza and his henchmen in the former Namek planet. We got to see Goku do his Kaioken and his transformation to SS1. Of course, when Goku and Vegeta went at it, that was always fun to watch.

Well... if this is a Dragon Ball Z movie, i'd have no second thoughts of what period i'd like them to set it in.

It would be a triology, First Raditz, then Vegeta (yay!) then Freeza. It would be perfect!

With Raditz it would be more Goku (the main hero duh), then Veg, and the kick arse period which is the battle with Freezer.

Or just start out with Vegeta first arriving on earth.

I perfer japanese actors and a jap/chinese product though..... screw you english actors/hollywood!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Well... if this is a Dragon Ball Z movie, i'd have no second thoughts of what period i'd like them to set it in.

It would be a triology, First Raditz, then Vegeta (yay!) then Freeza. It would be perfect!

With Raditz it would be more Goku (the main hero duh), then Veg, and the kick arse period which is the battle with Freezer.

Or just start out with Vegeta first arriving on earth.

I perfer japanese actors and a jap/chinese product though..... screw you english actors/hollywood!

If it's Dragonball, definitely Asians. Macross/Robotech would have to be multiracial though.