LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

does anyone else think the very term "Robotech" is a bit hokey and lame? I just much prefer Overtech. It makes more sense too. Why the hell did humans called alien technology "robot technology"? It's not like we don't have robot technology of our own. But Over Technology is technology above that of human technology. Sorry, just something that's been irking me for years.

vinnie

I prefer...Macross!!!!!!!!! That's right, call it what it is! You know, if they were actually smart they'd just switch the names to the RT names and make DYRL as a live action movie. Hell, I could live with that.

You guys totally missed the hilarity of this guy in high school mocking Minmay singing "Stage fright, go away" with an Austrian accent.

Funny, but funnier than Christopher Walken as Exedor doing it? hmm.

You guys totally missed the hilarity of this guy in high school mocking Minmay singing "Stage fright, go away" with an Austrian accent.

If your saying I'm in High school then Sh#t I'm one old student, better go and dye the grey hair. But I decided that I'll wait and see if this movie ever get's produced, go see it and hell might even like it who knows. IMO WB and HG can do what they like as long as it doesn't hurt Macross in anyway, the wife already thinks I'm a geek for collecting macross so a bad movie of robotech could add to ribbing for the next ten years.

Are you sure about that? I have this awful feeling (bad bowel movement type of level) that it won't change, or may even get worse.

As for the games, I don't mind the voices staying in original Japanese, but I need subtitling and english for the various UIs.

I think it would get worse because it would give HG more of a reason to control all macross related stuff, and have an even tighter reign over the property in the US. It's like how Sony now holds so much of the Spiderman property that they profit waaaay more of the movies, toys, games, etc... than Marvel themselves. This is why Marvel optioned their own deal where they now make their own movies without the help of other studios. Hmmm.... Maybe Kawamori, or Big West should do the same and we will get a real macross movie.

And sorry, she is no Minmay. You need someone with an "innocent" look and Kristin has too much fire in her eyes IMHO.

But Minmay wasn't really innocent. She was a brat! That "fire" in the eyes could be translated as a naughtier side for the character. Would make her more believable if you ask me. :rolleyes:

does anyone else think the very term "Robotech" is a bit hokey and lame? I just much prefer Overtech. It makes more sense too. Why the hell did humans called alien technology "robot technology"? It's not like we don't have robot technology of our own. But Over Technology is technology above that of human technology. Sorry, just something that's been irking me for years.

vinnie

I guess the best thing for them to do about the name would be to just say it's an acronym for ROBO-technology where the letters R-O-B-O would stand for something and also hint at the fact that the technology was largely used to develop these planes that could also change into large robots. Robotech does sound generic, but it's what people are already familiar with in the US and other parts of the world unless you really got exposed to Macross. Before the stone-throwing begins, I wanted to ask how the SDF-1 came to be called "The Macross" in the Japanese tv series and DYRL? Was the island also called Macross Island in those?

I'm not gonna bash this movie yet, since it's way too early to say what it's going to be like. I thought Transformers was going to be a turd, but I still enjoyed it. Even if this movie bombs, it's not going to ruin my enjoyment of Macross and collecting the toys (Yamato is doing that with each new QC-plagued release). I just hope they can at least do the license some justice. If they can at least have alot of great CG with Veritechs transforming and kicking ass, I won't care if the plot isn't all that great. With a movie like this, I just want to be blown away by the visuals, since there just isn't enough time to develop a great plot from a license that has alot of depth. Unless they try to do something like DYRL, but DYRL condensed the Macross series and threw a new spin on it, but people were largely aware of the backstory from the TV series. This live-action movie is going to face the problem of having to do that on its own for the average movie-goer. Hopefully, whoever they get to write this will be a Macross fan or at least have sense to do some research into the Japanese origins of Robotech: The Macross Saga.

I became a Macross fan as a result of being exposed to Robotech, and so did alot of us, so I'm not a Robotech-hater. I'm willing to give this one a benefit of the doubt for now.

Edited by sidearmsalpha

But Minmay wasn't really innocent. She was a brat! That "fire" in the eyes could be translated as a naughtier side for the character. Would make her more believable if you ask me. :rolleyes:

I don't disagree with you on that but it didn't show from her looks. She did have the innocent "look"... That should come out from acting not from a strong firey face.

I think it would get worse because it would give HG more of a reason to control all macross related stuff, and have an even tighter reign over the property in the US. It's like how Sony now holds so much of the Spiderman property that they profit waaaay more of the movies, toys, games, etc... than Marvel themselves. This is why Marvel optioned their own deal where they now make their own movies without the help of other studios. Hmmm.... Maybe Kawamori, or Big West should do the same and we will get a real macross movie.

Agreed. I find myself almost rooting to see this thing fail as it may either hasten or act as the final nail in HG's coffin. The last thing I'd want to see is their coffers getting filled and hungry for more, setting off further ownership litigation. Legitimate Macross releases in the US are a pipe dream already, and if HG finds themselves squatting on a potential goldmine, it can't be good for those of us still hoping for non-domestic (i.e., non-Japanese) Macross releases.

No. Why should they be? Let me say this again, this is Robotech not Macross. Big West has nothing to do with Robotech. A lot of people are failing to see the legal (and possibly creative) distinction. RT may be using Macross footage, but it's still RT, not Macross.

They can get nailed just like you could nail someone for using your designs without credit or getting liscencing for them.

Expect a complete redesign at every level similar to either BSG2, Transformers, or Smallville. ;)

Regardless if HG benefit from this, I will still see it for the "hollywood take on japanese mecha" as I'm curious to see how they'd interpret this idea. The concept of robots with personalities seems more appealing to mass audience, but pilots being involved in the controlling of the robots makes more sense in a movie more because at least there is a reason now to focus on the humans.

I wonder when the second TF movie comes out, what the percentage of human-robot involvement will be? Will they listen to people who want the robots to be the focus or just bring in more humans again? (actually make them "buddies that go on adventures with the autobots")

They can get nailed just like you could nail someone for using your designs without credit or getting liscencing for them.

Expect a complete redesign at every level similar to either BSG2, Transformers, or Smallville. ;)

I don't think azrael was speaking about designs. Taking into considering the likelihood of a complete visual redesign (likely akin to either Transformers, or simply pushing a more MOSPEADA visual style), changing/omitting certain words (Like how they apparently omitted the word "zentradi" from Shadow Chronicles, instead simply calling them "aliens", and the only instance of the UN Spacey fighting kite it was turned into a larger logo/altered enough to get away), and enough changes to the story, and it will be an entirely "Robotech" product, like Shadow Chronicles apparently was.

The international market is such a big aspect to most hollywood productions these days... maybe this is an opportunity for WB to get something worked out with Big West and HG. I would prefer Sony or another company with big Japanese connections to do this since I could see them buying out both HG and Big West but WB I'm not so certain...

Still, it couldn't be much worse to the source material than Transformers. Even hacked/mismeshed material like Robotech's synthesis of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada...

BW and HG play ball, the day that happens is the day that zombies walk the face of the earth, and I don't mean stupid people.

addition: :lol: No, drug addicts don't count as zombies, they get their own special category although they're almost there. :p

Edited by Sumdumgai