Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

Why the F*&K would HG have anything to do with Macross Frontier? :blink: Big West and HG aren't exactly on friendly terms.

Good point, with the amount of time between now and release, companies will have the time to work on and hopefully perfect the valkyrie toys from Macross Frontier (hope they're worth getting if that's the case). :)

2008 most likely, but no way 2009.

Graham

Yeah, but even then a full year of hype? This isn't a video game. LOL!

I see it in 3 ways.

A. He wants a REALLY polished (think M0 & M7 merged together graphics wise) high level bookend to the macross universe, but than again 6 months is a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallllllllllly long time to polish an anime

B. He's going for HD levels and Macross detail at HD levels is not quickly done nor cheap, especially for 3D.

C. He doesn't want to even think about tangling with a Gundam show for ratings.

But there isn't anyway that they can pull a GunBuster 2 with this!

C. He doesn't want to even think about tangling with a Gundam show for ratings.

I think this is for the best. With Gundam 00 being split into 2 seasons, it's probably for the best that Macross F not start until Gundam 00 is coming to an end.

Except that there will probably be something else Gundam to run against it, as there is almost always Gundam somewehre.... :)

In the grand scheme of things, it's not that long of a wait. Hell, the 2 year wait is almost up since the announcement of the Futurama movies. We all sat & waited 3 years between Fellowship & Return of the King (though there was TT inbetween).

And if you remember the Giant Robo OVA back in the day....talk about an insane wait.. Hopefully by that time, humans will have developed far superior technology to bit torrent.

2 YEARS !!! daaaamn :blink::wacko:

(more like 1+1/2, but anyway, you get the point...)

I'm all well with them taking their time to produce a real masterpiece for the 25th anniversary, but...well...i was hoping we would actually get something for the true anniversary duh!

The good news is that Macross F will not go unnoticed by being aired at the same time that Gundam 00, it will be free to shine and will trully be appreciated by the audience as THE mecha series of the season, pretty much like gurren lagann right now (which I'm sure would have gone unnoticed had there been a gundam series this season).

Guys, some important things that everyone is forgetting:

1) TV scheduling. What if instead of a crap time slot in the immediate future, they opted for a good time slot in the medium future.

2) production company scheduling. The company working on Engage Planet Kissdom is supposed to do Macross F, right, so when is Kissdom going to be finished?

In addition, and I am just speculating here, Macross 7 was a rather lengthy TV series, right. Macross F is just as likely to be equally lengthy, if not more so. Therefore, extra time is needed to figure out the various plots, as Macross is definitely not written on an episodic maintain the status que formula.

You know something guys in 2009 is the ... 30th Anniversary of MSG !

Crap, that's right. And it's a safe bet to say that Bandai will crank something out for it. If we were afraid of Macross F being overshadowed by Gundam 00...

I don't want to sound like a troll, I don't rant so often but this is just bullocks.

I mean, D*mn...I was hoping Macross wouldn't have to fight with Gundam for audience...they´ve just killed any chance of Macross F actually getting any mainstream attention, why didn't BW foresee this ? Now I´m pretty sure Macross will be utterly overshadowed by Bandai's over-publicited 30th anniversary Gundam series <_<

If they´re releasing this series in '09, then what have they been doing since Macross Zero ended !? Waiting for Kawamori to do some 5 minute doodles of valkyries for a magazine article ? WTF! Seriously.

1) TV scheduling. What if instead of a crap time slot in the immediate future, they opted for a good time slot in the medium future.

2) production company scheduling. The company working on Engage Planet Kissdom is supposed to do Macross F, right, so when is Kissdom going to be finished?

In addition, and I am just speculating here, Macross 7 was a rather lengthy TV series, right. Macross F is just as likely to be equally lengthy, if not more so. Therefore, extra time is needed to figure out the various plots, as Macross is definitely not written on an episodic maintain the status que formula.

Very true. Considering that the autumn schedule would have been prepared by March/April, that would probably have cut out Macross for this upcoming season. The audition was back during that time so with no show ready for the upcoming season, no reason the schedule it. And with Satelight working on KISSDUM, there's not much choice in the matter. Either short change both series or let them finish on their own schedule. If we are looking at a full year-long series, it's probably for the best.

Guys, some important things that everyone is forgetting:

On number 1 I agree with though scheduling always opens up, but 2 years ahead.... naw a single year maybe and then your still spending months on polishing "finished" episodes with very little monetary return. Any advertiser would be hard pressed to put up the money even for the hallowed "Macross" name sake.

On number 2.... I thought Engage Planet was finished already? But then again waiting until 2009 is a full 1.5 years. Even if EP was still running they'd have over 8 months to polish the macross episodes.

The one thing I will buy into though would be that they learned ALOT from M0 and are giving themselves enough lead time so they don't have to push through FUGLY episodes.

If it really is true that the new TV series is not being released until 2009, I'm feeling very disappointed right now. I mean that's a wait of at least a year and a quarter from now, probably longer.

I know this thing has been in the planning stages for at least 2 years, so I can't understand why they need amnother year. Perhaps Kawamori and/or BW is not happy with what they have come up with so far and decided to scrap it and start all over again.

I don't buy the theory of it being delayed so that it doesn't compete with Gundam 00. As David mentioned, there'll probably be another Gundam show running in 2009 anyway.

Graham

I hope they can use that time to make the series good.

Macross DYRL and Macross plus and SDF Macross TV series <- something along those lines but with the "space monster" idea and bringing close combat into it. (ie gunfight hikaru had against kamjin in SDF:M for example)

You know something where the aliens are really disgusting and dangerous. (blue gender?) And there is no reasoning with them because they are more like an escaped and dangerous disease spreading out. They need the robots to go into these diseased infested areas to help fight off the monsters but are outnumbered, (like how the inbit can easily swarm the legioss fighters and surround them with numbers) and that is where we have new ...I dunno... training for the younger breed of pilot.

No more need to "don't kill the pilot, just shoot the thrusters" problems for the military now.. which is one of the problems of the first war when milia didn't want max killing zentradi. This time the fights can be more serious and the micromissiles swarms actually useful.

That's how I'd do a space monster series: monsters are more powerful and resistant to many weapons, the pilots run out of ammo, and there is a need for close-in fighting due to how fast but heavily armored they are. No Tekkamon blade to rescue, just valks vs bioorganic aliens like in the "Salamander" arcade game.

Introduce teams of variable destroid, new weapons (introduce energy gunpods for special use melting alien armor), upclose modifications to the mecha (a new version of a destroid spartan might have a riot shield and grenades along with upgraded baton for eg) and more realism in the dogfighting. (yes have the fancy fights in DYRL but there is more firepower to be able to survive longer)

So far we've had as enemies: anti-un pilots, humanoid aliens, rogue AI, vampires with supernatural abilities, but not actual monsters. (where conventional weapons are the only choice to survive) The disease the monsters would spread would be a kind of "madcow disease" in zentradi and cause them to act violent and it would be revealed that the monsters were part of one of the early military experiments to wipe out the zentradi should they ever revolt against their masters by getting them to fight themselves, but was scrapped in favour of the supervision army idea and genetically designing them to be obedient and scared of PC. Somebody (one of the UN spacy enemies) let the virus loose though, (possibly anti-un or zentradi hate group) hoping to cause trouble for UN spacy which uses Zentradi as stock soldiers in its armies. The goal, possibly trying to overthrow their power and dominance. (and aided by rival alien races who don't want humans becoming too much a threat to them)

Of course we would get to see this happen as zentradi going crazy killing humans and other zentradi before it was found out. With humans fearing that the zentradi were turning back to their warlike instincts and need to fight. And many stories would emerge of zentradi going around murdering and killing people. But the primary threat would be the monsters themselves because of the sheer number: not natural but somehow created and evolved over time as they escaped a PC lab and have been roaming loose for centuries and becoming powerful enough to survive almost any environment and resistant to damage from many weapons. The only people safely able to go in are those in some suit so as not to get infected. The micron pilots would be of use despite their weak body, but it would be more easy to survive too since some zentradi were built to be able to survive in space for a short time (ie Britai) in some emergency situation.

The new alternative would be pilots that are of mixed blood: half human/half zentradi - able to resist the desease, but stronger physically and more robust than a human. And those are the new special teams with training to survive against these new monsters to fight them. (reliance on music is now more a background thing for the main character who has some PC gene and uses whatever power he possesses sense enemy monster's instinct. (there may be a psychic power inside the monster used to hypnotise certain races of alien which harms their concentration - think macross 2's use of "emulator music" but now monsters have it and the pop idol is able to somehow jam this psychic hold to make them less effective at killing their victims. This would be something only a PC-descendant might sense and be invisible for anyone else)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

On number 2.... I thought Engage Planet was finished already? But then again waiting until 2009 is a full 1.5 years. Even if EP was still running they'd have over 8 months to polish the macross episodes.

The one thing I will buy into though would be that they learned ALOT from M0 and are giving themselves enough lead time so they don't have to push through FUGLY episodes.

I think Engage Planet KISSDUM still has 2 more episodes to run, just watched Ep. 24 last week in Chinese subs.

Although KISSDUM is no Macross and the mecha only played a very small role in the series, the transformation and battle sequences did feel smooth and natural. Given more time Satelight will do Macross justice, at least on the mecha front.

Just something promising to cheer everyone up after the "2009" announcement.

Edited by John Focker

Given more time Satelight will do Macross justice, at least on the mecha front.

Just something promising to cheer everyone up after the "2009" announcement.

I plan to buy the dvds if good, so hopefully everything is smooth and polished up. (no more "max vs milia knife fight" levels of choppiness hopefully :D)

Honestly I can see why todays generation would avoid watching the original macross just on the strength of the animation itself. (not story) Because it is pretty painful to watch some of that stuff.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Anyone think there is actually 2 Macross features to be shown, one for this year to coincide with the series anniversary, and one in 2009 for the 25th DYRL? anniversary?

Yeah I posted a little way back that maybe they will do a 2012 type show to tide us over to 2009 and maybe fill in any gaps, if we need filling in. I don't really think it's likly but it would be nice. IMO I also don't think that any gudam shows are a concern, I'm sure they don't want them running togeather but are not too concerned about fans choosing one or the other to watch, if you like both then you'll watch both. Maybe Bandi want to release toys for the anniversary of macross and gundam togeather, I really don't know but I do think it's a little odd that a new macross didn't show this year, regardless of the anniversary date being at the start or the end of the year.

I guess there is a million reasons why it maybe a 2009 release who knows except those involved, all I know is that I want it to be good. Great mechs on both sides, a story that is interesting and some what belevable (as far as you can in anime), hell if it's as good as M+ then I'll be happy. I don't agree on having space monsters sorry, as to me that would be a macross starship troopers show and I think that the idea has been done to death. Keep going on what they have I say, they have a good range of enemy alians to choose from and a story that has been built on the backbone of them so I'll be disapointed to see a total change, as I beleave that a 40+ foot tall alian is enough for anyone to requre a chane of pants. Sh#t walking on earth alone is a weapon of mass destruction for zentraedi and I'm sure the supervision army is a wicked foe and probably what a lot of people would like to see IMO.