Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

I don't get it, if the promo video was shown at an event, why not also release the promo video elsewhere? I don't want to see some hackneyed cell phone cam version of the trailer, I'd like to download it from somewhere quasi-official. I'm no marketer though, I guess people have their reasons...

just one of the drawbacks of living in a respectful, law abiding society, I guess.

Not so much.....they are every bit as likely to bootleg a video as we are, really. Countless camrips of theatrical anime releases bear that out.

Anyways, if any fan-shot video from the event is gonna show up anywhere, its likely going to be on niconico douga first. Its like youtube colliding with 2ch.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/

I think (hope) the video should be going up on the official page soon-ish, but don't quote me on that.

Graham

Quoted.

Sorry.. ;)

But seriously the fans that went to the concert really got their money`s worth with not even bootleg versions of the promo released..Maybe BW want to widely release it closer to the debut?? The wait is really painful.

I was actually thinking pin-point barrier equipped missiles was always a potentially deadly new concept in Macross. It would alter the dynamics of Macross Mecha combat in certain ways, since the highly advance accuracy brought about by OverTechnology mecha allowed the shooting down of missiles in flight with gunpods and lasers. I figured, what better way to make battle more interesting?

I was also thinking perhaps the composite material wing of the YF-21 (the "liquid wing") would find application in a more advanced UN Spacy. But yeah, this is more geek dreaming than anything else :)

If Macross Frontier went one step further beyond just micronization of fold technology, I could think of some seriously fun ways to use it.

*evil grin*

Tactical fold jumping in Valkyrie combat would...be...AWESOME! Power usage would no doubt regulate rampant use of the capability, but oh what anime-like fun could be had with "blinking" mecha in battle. I'm REALLY surprised no one has done this yet, especially since the visual style of fast-paced anime combat seems so well suited to this kind of science fiction concept. Hell, the way some anime is drawn and edited, it already feels like mecha pop out of nowhere :)

What do ya think?

Go a step further fold capable missiles, at least on the capitol ships anyway, since most of those things are almost the size of a valk.

eugimon

I was actually thinking more of mid-combat folding. Strategic folding wouldn't be all that useful for striking planets, since folding space while in the atmosphere of a planet is hazardous at best. But the concept is similar.

I too would really like to see some good ship combat again. There are so many interesting possibilities for it and SDF Macross really crated some interesting ship engagements. It'd be a shame to see more good ship designs basically used for nothing; a tragedy that has befallen every Macross production since SDFM/DYRL :(

Zinjo

You're probably right that full barriers, at least in limited use, are the most likely development for variable fighters that we'll see in Macross Frontier. I'm kinda throwing out ideas that would make things interesting for Macross rather than going for the logical extension of what would appear. I think your idea is a safe bet.

danth

Yeah, merchandising is probably why the composite material wing wasn't explored all that much after the initial scene :)Glad you like the ideas. Throw around some yourself and see what you come up with. I think some of the new tech for Macross Frontier is likely to be a bit more conventional and grounded than some of my own suggestions, but brainstorming is a really good way to come up with some wild stuff.

Sumdumgai

I would think the wrap around imaging systems are a given for all next generation variable fighters. I kinda like the idea of using the holography technology seen so much in Macross as a type of visual camouflage. Much like the effect used in Vision of Escaflowne and given Kawamori's involvement in that, it's not unheard of that he would take from his own to make Macross Frontier. He would know what works and it worked incredibly well in that anime series.

wolfx

Overloading barriers are far too volatile to use as a weapon. So many friendly fire casualties would result from a system that unpredictable and indiscriminate.

Graham

I can see some type of improved intertia compensating technology, but within limits. I have to agree with azrael though that I think this will most likely be an afterthought, mentioned via throwaway dialogue. Besides, with anime physics stuff like this isn't really all that relevant since they already show Valkyries performing thousand g manuevers even though the Macross universe is supposed to be limited to conventional g forces like today.

briscojr84

Yes, that would certainly be a very interesting way to make capital ship combat a bit more interesting. One could even extend combat ranges to ridiculous distances, making stealth and electronic warfare all the more important. I like this idea.

The reason that no video has appeared online yet, is that I was just told that there were security guards searching people's bags on the way into the concert and confiscating any cameras until after the concert.

Graham

They could've also had IR lights set up illuminating the audience (thought the bag/camera check kindof discounts this.) It'd make recording anything but the sound nigh impossible.

I won't put it past them if they set up some security measures to block recording devices. But those pictures posted earlier say otherwise. But taking snapshots as opposed to holding up your phone to record video is less likely to get your ass thrown out.

briscojr84

Yes, that would certainly be a very interesting way to make capital ship combat a bit more interesting. One could even extend combat ranges to ridiculous distances, making stealth and electronic warfare all the more important. I like this idea.

Now that I think about it now since I haven't read much of the series lately, missile pods ala the Honor Harrington series would be more feasible.

I like the idea of using fold bubble to "eat" captial ship hulls. Hell they could refit a 40's era fold booster with engines and a new OS and send it into the fray. It detonates taking a chunk of enemy vessel with it to a predetermined location behind the lines where the chunk is destroyed and it is then tugged back into strike position.

I agree with Eugimon, about seeing BSG style slugfests. More drawn out and "dirty", BSG proved that such captial ship battles can be visually very dramatic.

As for the missiles, I suspect they would further develop the high maneuver missiles by shrinking them (not necessarily to micro size) to make them viable against the very agile modern variable fighters. Missiles will always be the most efficient and best way to deliver a kill payload to any target. HM missles would also be capable of defeating anti-missile homing lasers.

As for being able to show "cloaked" ships, it would be easy with CG. If it were still cell animation, it would be much more difficult.

I could see the vampire technology being used in civilian applications, but we'd only see it if the story called for it.

Edited by Zinjo

Now that I think about it now since I haven't read much of the series lately, missile pods ala the Honor Harrington series would be more feasible.

Not familiar with it, but I do recall some written science fiction series (especially going back many years) involving very advanced missile combat. Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda for example featured starship combat inspiried by earlier written science fiction stories. Combat would involve ships literally firing thousands of missiles in various salvos and strategies to overcome massive point defenses and electronic warfare of the spacecraft. It actually struck me as a very interesting take of space combat. Course, Macross is cemented in the "big gun" genre of ship combat, but there is a lot that can be done with it.

Not familiar with it, but I do recall some written science fiction series (especially going back many years) involving very advanced missile combat. Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda for example featured starship combat inspiried by earlier written science fiction stories. Combat would involve ships literally firing thousands of missiles in various salvos and strategies to overcome massive point defenses and electronic warfare of the spacecraft. It actually struck me as a very interesting take of space combat. Course, Macross is cemented in the "big gun" genre of ship combat, but there is a lot that can be done with it.

could see something similar, use large guns to draw the attention of the pin point barriers while a dense missile swarm attacks areas unprotected.

Course, Macross is cemented in the "big gun" genre of ship combat, but there is a lot that can be done with it.

And I don't see that changing either. Macross has never been heavy on the capital-ship combat and I expect Frontier to follow that aspect of the formula. I think anybody looking for BSG-style will probably not find it in Frontier. Anyways, Kawamori likes his VFs more. :)

This is probably a dumb question but do you guys think we'll have had to watch Macross 7 first before Macross Frontier to get a better understanding of what has happend since...a little background information? From my understanding, all that's really known about Frontier is that it's set in the year 2070.

Edited by Oihan

And I don't see that changing either. Macross has never been heavy on the capital-ship combat and I expect Frontier to follow that aspect of the formula. I think anybody looking for BSG-style will probably not find it in Frontier. Anyways, Kawamori likes his VFs more. :)

That's a safe bet, though to be fair SDFM devoted plenty of script time to ship combat. But you're right that Macross Frontier isn't likely to swing back in that direction. I'm not all that familiar with BSG-2003 (I've only seen the Mini-series, which was very good, btw).

This is probably a dumb question but do you guys think we'll have had to watch Macross 7 first before Macross Frontier to get a better understanding of what has happend since...a little background information? From my understanding, all that's really known about Frontier is that it's set in the year 2070.

It's around 2070. We're not completely sure of the time period (we've only seen "20XX" on posters). Will M7 be required viewing for Frontier? No. If anything, we'll get a short-short-short history lesson which would summarize what has happened previously. The previous Macross series will probably be optional viewing if you want a more in-depth history lesson.

I think it's safe to say almost all of us are projecting a little too much into Macross Frontier right now. If I had to guess, I'd say Macross Frontier is going to be a lot different than any of the speculations so far. The more linkage to past Macross, the more incorrect our expectations, IMO. But I'm just going off gut instinct here and a little hope.

You're likely to enjoy it more as you might understand some in-jokes. Otherwise reading a plot synopsis will probably be enough.

That's a safe bet, though to be fair SDFM devoted plenty of script time to ship combat. But you're right that Macross Frontier isn't likely to swing back in that direction. I'm not all that familiar with BSG-2003 (I've only seen the Mini-series, which was very good, btw).

you should watch the series, it's quite good.

This is probably a dumb question but do you guys think we'll have had to watch Macross 7 first before Macross Frontier to get a better understanding of what has happend since...a little background information?

I doubt it. All signs indicate that Frontier is geared towards drawing in a new generation of fans.

Off the top of my head, the only major concepts introduced in M7 were spiritia and sound energy. If those are used in Frontier then I'm sure they'll be accompanied by a brief explanation.

It's doubtful any "in jokes" from Mac 7 will appear, they didn't in 7. The only references were to DYRL and SW1. As Azrael said there will likely be a short explanation at the beginning. Most of the series', eventhough chronologically linked, are stand alone shows for the most part.

However, I'm expecting something completely different in theme from anything previous, SK doesn't like to re-do themes.

He could do the neurotic hero like Evangelion, the orphaned needy hero like Eureka 7, etc... many avenues have not yet been explored in the Mac universe.

That is why I am so hoping they meet up with the SA, this time around. There is entirely a different dynamic with that group.

Marchy, if you want to see kick ass capital ship combat watch Resurrection Ship Pt.2 of the second season of the BSG series, to see what we mean. The "Captain's hand" is another episode from Season 2 that has some good cap ship combat near the end.

Well, the idea of a new Macross was all I needed to finally continue the series. I'm now on ep 39 and enjoying the show, even if Frontier ends up not having anything to do with M7.

Try watching it up until ep 12. If by then, with more SDF Macross references flying around in the show, you can't stand it, drop it.

At least it will make the wait for the new series shorter :p

Short off topic note: Macross 7 is great to watch for building mecha profiles :):lol:

eugimon and Zinjoy

Yes, more BSG-2003 is definitely in the top of my need-to-see list of tv and movies. I love a good ship battle in space. Nothing else quite like it :)

Edited by Mr March

Watch M7 anyway, it's a great show IMO.

Graham

I have never been more disgusted with you now than ever before. YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN YOUR OWN SPACE GUNDAM V COPY AND YOU PASSED IT UP?! :angry: Get the %^ off my internet, buy that thing and torrent it for the rest of us! For great justice!

Check this out man. B))

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=20661&st=20&gopid=510959entry510959

Would it be wrong of me to ask where I could find some fansubs of Macross 7 then? ^_^

Google search for central anime and macross 7. I think I grabbed it from a.scarywater.net.

Macross 7 starts off weakly, and the first song gets annoying, but after a few episodes the show gets really good, and the music is awesome.

The idea of short distance Super Dimensional Hops for the SOC fighters would be cool too! I'd like to see rail guns in use. After researching those bad boys, it surprises me that Mac II incorporated them, but Studio Nue has yet to, considering how powerful they are.

I'm pretty sure it's only the Macross II RPG from Palladium that says those are rail guns and the original Japanese source disagrees.

Edited by Ginrai

I'm pretty sure it's only the Macross II RPG from Palladium that says those a rail guns and the original Japanese source disagrees.

Nope.

In B-Club Special 79 (I believe) the line art describes the weapons are rail guns, even the gun pods (however I'd have to check the article on the gunpods to be 100%, however the SAP gun is definitely a Rail gun).