The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

Okay, so does anyone know what's up the the 80 gb version? I've been checking online lately and it seems to be out of stock everywhere. I'm thinking about getting one for my bro for graduation but all I see are 40 gb ones. I might just end up getting the 40 gb one as he's modded his PS2 so he'll still need it to play his import games and such anyway. Just curious if any knew the reason the 80 gb is sold out.

Because they want to sell to the star wars collector market, who will likely purchase both regardless of whether they own either system.

No, they did the same thing with Soul Calibur II. PS2 version had Heihachi on the cover, Link was on the Cube, and Spawn on the Xbox. View.

I'm not surprised. Anyway, although I usually go with the 360 for multiplatform games since the Achievements are usually the tiebreaker for me, I'm going to part with tradition and get the PS3 version of Soul Calibur IV. Vader > Yoda, and vague mentions that the other character MIGHT be DLC aren't enough for me.

Any news on Ace Combat 6 being ported to the PS3? It's been over 6 months since the 360 release, which is usually the lifespan of exclusivity contracts.

In Japan, which probably doesn't even figure into any deal Microsoft struck with Namco. I don't think it's been that long since it hit the US.

Forget games that already came out on the 360, I want a date for WipEout HD.

In Japan, which probably doesn't even figure into any deal Microsoft struck with Namco. I don't think it's been that long since it hit the US.

Forget games that already came out on the 360, I want a date for WipEout HD.

hell yes, can't wait to get my wipeout fix in HD.

Any news on Ace Combat 6 being ported to the PS3? It's been over 6 months since the 360 release, which is usually the lifespan of exclusivity contracts.

Ace Combat 6!!!! There is a game I would pay full-price to get.

I got Gundam Cross-eyed at Walmat for $10. I fell sorry for anyone that paid full-price. After sometime the game becomes enjoyable unlike NHL 2K8... the store should have used a handgun to get my money on that one.

I hope NHL 2K9 has the controls of 2K7 and the new sweaters that should have been in 2K8.

Still no word on the Blue Ray DVD's when the ten days are done I will pay a visit to the local Best Buy. I did find that Canada no longer has the mail in rebate "fraud" that is still running in the US.

Heh, they just started releasing the Ace of Aces DLC for the 360 version of Ace Combat, and at the piecemeal rate and obscenely priced way they're releasing it, it wouldn't surprise me if they postponed the ps3 version until they've squeezed every last red cent out of the 360 suckers, ahem, I mean, base first. It's really one of the worst DLC least bang for your buck pricing structures I think I've ever seen.

Okay, I just wanted to ask people what they thought about the Web Browsing capability of the PS3? I have the 60GB PS3 version, and was wondering if there were any tips or tricks people might suggest to make the PS3 a better web browsing machine? Also, does Sony have future plans to upgrade this feature of the PS3?

What would you guys suggest as the best/most cost effective bluetooth keyboard/trackball that is compatible with the PS3? Or is Sony going to go the XBox 360 route and add a little message pad on the bottom of the controller? I hope not.....

Does anybody else have a problem with turning on your PS3 and finding that it needs to reset the Display/Audio settings? I dont know if it is because I run my PS3 picture through my receiver via a HDMI cable, but have to run the sound through the Digital Optical connection because the Sony Receiver with HDMI ins that I have does not have the capability to take the audio signal that is in the HDMI cable and use it. I called Sony tech support when I bought my PS3 to find out why that was, and they told me the model of my received did not allow for that....why have the HDMI connection if it wont take the sound out?

But what are peoples thoughts/suggestions?

Twich

Okay, I just wanted to ask people what they thought about the Web Browsing capability of the PS3? I have the 60GB PS3 version, and was wondering if there were any tips or tricks people might suggest to make the PS3 a better web browsing machine? Also, does Sony have future plans to upgrade this feature of the PS3?

What would you guys suggest as the best/most cost effective bluetooth keyboard/trackball that is compatible with the PS3? Or is Sony going to go the XBox 360 route and add a little message pad on the bottom of the controller? I hope not.....

Does anybody else have a problem with turning on your PS3 and finding that it needs to reset the Display/Audio settings? I dont know if it is because I run my PS3 picture through my receiver via a HDMI cable, but have to run the sound through the Digital Optical connection because the Sony Receiver with HDMI ins that I have does not have the capability to take the audio signal that is in the HDMI cable and use it. I called Sony tech support when I bought my PS3 to find out why that was, and they told me the model of my received did not allow for that....why have the HDMI connection if it wont take the sound out?

But what are peoples thoughts/suggestions?

Twich

Here's the best tip I can give to improve your web browsing experience: Install Linux, boot into Linux, and use Firefox. I'm not a fan of the PS3's web browser.

As for keyboards, I'm not sure what the cheapest route is. Wireless mice/keyboard combos tend to be pricey (although I snagged a nice Logitech set on clearance at Best Buy for about $35... it's not bluetooth, but since the receiver is USB, I see no reason why it wouldn't work). The cheapest option is probably to buy a wired USB mouse, wired keyboard, and USB extention cables, if necessary. Depending on the mom & pop shops in your area, that'd run $15-$20

Your receiver situation sounds a little like mine... my receiver doesn't mind the audio that comes over HDMI, but it won't output it through its speakers, it'll just pass it through to the TV speakers. So, like yourself, I use a toslink audio cable to the receiver. Why have the HDMI port there? Well, there's still the video. In my case, I have a home theater computer and my PS3 connected to the receiver for video with HDMI and toslink for the audio (well, the HTPC uses a toslink to digital coax adapter, since the 360 was using the other toslink audio input, but I had a free digital coax input, but I digress). My TV only has one HDMI input, so plugging multiple devices into the receiver, then plugging just the receiver into the TV helps a lot.

But no, I don't have to reset anything. The PS3 knows it's 1080i video out over HDMI and audio over toslink. The receiver knows to pass the HDMI video to the TV and decode the toslink audio to the satellite speakers. And my Harmony remote knows when I push "Play PS3" to turn on the TV, set it to HDMI input, turn on the receiver, and set it to "PS3+Wii." I know, it's a little odd, but each "channel" on the receiver can have both digital and audio streams, so the "PS3+Wii" setting will run the PS3's HDMI/toslink signal, or the Wii's component video/analog stereo audio, depending on which devices are on and what input the TV's on.

Surprisingly, my free blu-rays arrived today. I bought my PS3 at the end of January, so that's roughly 6 to 7 weeks from the time I sent in the order.

Now why the hell did I pick Species? Yeesh....

Surprisingly, my free blu-rays arrived today. I bought my PS3 at the end of January, so that's roughly 6 to 7 weeks from the time I sent in the order.

Now why the hell did I pick Species? Yeesh....

hmmm, good news for me as well then, since I bought my PS3 around the same time. On the other hand, it took nearly 7 months for me to get my free HD-DVDs...

Does anybody else have a problem with turning on your PS3 and finding that it needs to reset the Display/Audio settings?

Do you unplug your PS3 from the power outlet when it's not in use? Mine would do that if I left it unplugged for a while. My guess is that the PS3 stores it's settings in battery backed memory, so if the battery completely loses it's charge then you lose your settings. Now I just keep mine plugged into a surge proctector 24/7 and it's never lost its settings since. Even though the PS3 is completely off, I guess it's still drawing a slight charge from the outlet to keep the battery charged.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

hmmm, good news for me as well then, since I bought my PS3 around the same time. On the other hand, it took nearly 7 months for me to get my free HD-DVDs...

Yeowch, my HD-DVDs didn't take that long, but they did take about 4 months, which was still pretty excessive; sent the offer in in August, got them in December.

My Playstation 3 needs to have video and audio settings reset all the time, and it is plugged in and in standby mode for the time that I am not using it, I found that since I have it plugged throught the receiver for the HDMI to go to the LCD HDTV, if I dont let the receiver completely turn on and "click" it resets itself...kinda a pain really

Twich

My Playstation 3 needs to have video and audio settings reset all the time, and it is plugged in and in standby mode for the time that I am not using it, I found that since I have it plugged throught the receiver for the HDMI to go to the LCD HDTV, if I dont let the receiver completely turn on and "click" it resets itself...kinda a pain really

Twich

If mine did that I would call PS3 and ask whats up. My hasn't needed the settings changed since I first set it up 7 months ago. Even made it through a short power outage. My brother-in-law's did that and Playstation had him exchange it where he bought it for a new one. What model is it. Is this problem particular to a certain edition. I have the 60GB and have no problems.

twich, definitely contact Sony about this one. If you have a 60gb version, see if they can repair your system and mail it back to you. Or, if they direct you to the location you bought it from, make sure that place still has 60's left. You don't want to risk getting your 60gb version getting replaced with a gimped 40gb or 80gb version.

I doubt anyone would notice the difference between a 60 and 80 myself.

That said, I looove my 60/160 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Yeah, I have a 60 GB version and I bought it at Wal-Mart.....I do not think that I will be able to take it back and I know they dont have any more 60's or 80's for that matter....and PS2 backwards compatibility is very important to me and my wife. Not too much to do I guess....

Twich

Yeah, I have a 60 GB version and I bought it at Wal-Mart.....I do not think that I will be able to take it back and I know they dont have any more 60's or 80's for that matter....and PS2 backwards compatibility is very important to me and my wife. Not too much to do I guess....

Twich

Try calling customer support and explain the issue...does thedate an time also reset if not connected to the 'net? If so, it's a very simple fix.

• 4 weeks later...

Lair might worth buying now..

The positive aspects of Lair were largely drowned out by the more negative side, and chief among the complaints reviewers agreed on was the awkward and unresponsive motion controls. Two months ago we reported on a rumor that a patch was in the works to bring analog controls to the title, after Factor 5 president Julian Eggebrecht made some interestingly vague comments about second chances and opening the game's audience.

The rumor has finally been confirmed, as IGN reports that Sony Japan has dropped word of an upcoming free update. Included in the new patch will be analog controls, an option for a targeting reticle, and rumble support for the Dual Shock 3. Other freebies include use of the Wind Dragon and Poison Dragon for all the stages, along with some new Lair themes for the PlayStation 3. The downloads are set for April 17th in Japan; no word on a US release, but we expect those details to be cleared up soon enough.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167334

has anyone played :Gundam Crossfire?

I was shocked to see that the game isn't actually that bad. It takes a while to get used to the controls but the missions are a lot like the side story game for dreamcast. If you play it on very hard its actually challenging.

Its too bad so many mags gave it poor reviews without giving it a fair shot. Definitely worth the $8 I paid on ebay to get it.

has anyone played :Gundam Crossfire?

I was shocked to see that the game isn't actually that bad. It takes a while to get used to the controls but the missions are a lot like the side story game for dreamcast. If you play it on very hard its actually challenging.

Its too bad so many mags gave it poor reviews without giving it a fair shot. Definitely worth the $8 I paid on ebay to get it.

For $8 maybe...but it's still quite poor.

For $8 maybe...but it's still quite poor.

Have you actually played it. It isn't really that bad. Especially the later missions, say about 4 hours into the game. I find it better than the federation vs. zeon games everyone raves about. Musch better than zeonic front.

Have you actually played it. It isn't really that bad. Especially the later missions, say about 4 hours into the game. I find it better than the federation vs. zeon games everyone raves about. Musch better than zeonic front.

I've actually played it, and you sir, are crazy. The vs. games are some of the best Gundam games to date, with probably the Battle series on the PSP being better. Crossfire is, in fact, possibly one of the Gundam games I disliked WORSE than Zeonic Front (the one on the Dreamcast was pretty bad, too).