The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

I've downloaded the Gran Turismo HD demo - is there anyway to get it to not go onto the GT HD demo screen and music everytime I turn on the PS3?

You can rearrange the demo titles by category, etc and then hope one of them is one that doesn't play music by default. They all (AFAIK) go to some sort of screen but not all of them have music.

Here's a question. I've been hedging for months on picking up component cables for my PS3, but I'm getting ready to finally get around to it. What I'm curious about is if there's a major difference between using the official sony component cables, which appear to plug into the A/V slot, or picking up a 3rd part HDMI port to Component cable.

Mind you I'm still using a 27 inch CRT, so I don't expect wonders, but...

Here's a question. I've been hedging for months on picking up component cables for my PS3, but I'm getting ready to finally get around to it. What I'm curious about is if there's a major difference between using the official sony component cables, which appear to plug into the A/V slot, or picking up a 3rd part HDMI port to Component cable.

Mind you I'm still using a 27 inch CRT, so I don't expect wonders, but...

I take it you're using composite now...component will still make a difference in sharpness/color over the composite pack in on a standard TV. I wouldn't bother with the HDMI to component. There's no cost effective way to do it really, and the benefit HDMI gives would be pretty much negated anyways. If price is the thing, there are some decent 3rd party component PlayStation cables out there for cheap. I used a PS2 component one for awhile before I got my HDMI Monoprice cables.

Time to get an HDTV my friend...:)B))

Edited by Gaijin

I take it you're using composite now...component will still make a difference in sharpness/color over the composite pack in on a standard TV. I wouldn't bother with the HDMI to component. There's no cost effective way to do it really, and the benefit HDMI gives would be pretty much negated anyways. If price is the thing, there are some decent 3rd party component PlayStation cables out there for cheap. I used a PS2 component one for awhile before I got my HDMI Monoprice cables.

Time to get an HDTV my friend...:)B))

Meh, I don't trust HD!

Meh, I don't trust HD!

and well you shouldn't! Why, just the other day I caught my HD TV rummaging through my drawers. Of course, when I confronted him, he just sat there and denied it all but I swear as I turned to leave the room, he smirked at me. The bastard.

You are going to be totally blown away. Particularly if you get 50" + but even something in the 42"+ range will give you an isatiable HD thirst...

That's how my 60" SXRD sucked me in. I went from 34" HDTV with a 6.1 HTiB to a $1500 AVR and at least that in speakers in 7.1 goodness. Not counting my sub. Just got some new Polk RTi towers for the fronts...

I gotta get back into guns or cars cause this HT shiznit is gonna make me broke. I'm contemplating a 1080p front projector, 120" screen and a dedicated theater... My old lady is gonna kill me when I wall up the garage and build a floor 6-10" up from it and start soundproofing. :D

You are going to be totally blown away. Particularly if you get 50" + but even something in the 42"+ range will give you an isatiable HD thirst...

That's how my 60" SXRD sucked me in. I went from 34" HDTV with a 6.1 HTiB to a $1500 AVR and at least that in speakers in 7.1 goodness. Not counting my sub. Just got some new Polk RTi towers for the fronts...

I gotta get back into guns or cars cause this HT shiznit is gonna make me broke. I'm contemplating a 1080p front projector, 120" screen and a dedicated theater... My old lady is gonna kill me when I wall up the garage and build a floor 6-10" up from it and start soundproofing. :D

how do you like those polk speakers?

Playasia.com sells a really nice set of universal component cables for the PS3 that also handles the PS2, Wii, and Xbox360 with a switcher for $20-30. I've got one and was very impressed with the picture improvement over composite cables. Well worth the money.

You can rearrange the demo titles by category, etc and then hope one of them is one that doesn't play music by default. They all (AFAIK) go to some sort of screen but not all of them have music.

Thanks, but what if its the only demo I've been interested in downloading? Its the only one I've got - can't I default the PS3 startup to something else other than demos?

At work but I think this should work(dirty workaround).

Create a new user (dummy account) and make sure both accounts are set to not autologin. This way everytime you launch your PS3 you'll have to choose your user first and it shouldn't default to your game demo and it's irritating music.

I don't know if there's any settings that let you change where you start on autologin.

Dynasty Warriors is being released this week. I'm spending my Best Buy gift card on it.

Read the early reviews. Same reviews you always see. Why do the critics dislike this game so much? Is the games fun to play? Yes good enough for me.

dynasty warrior never gets good reviews but it always sells well.

Kinda like the dynasty warriors gundam game...or any gundam game for that matter...they never get good reviews but a usually fun to play. Dynasty warriors gundam is repetitive but is also really addicting.

Hooray Motorstorm 2. I was hoping for some Arctic tracks though...

some Sony news...

Phil Harrison leaves Sony after 15 years

I wonder if his comments on sony japan missing the boat on social gaming had anything to do with this... Phil's been pretty vocal about his thoughts on why PS3 wasn't doing as well as expect of late.

Lemme know how the load times are on the 360 one. The PS3 one is fast (like 2 secs) but requires a mandatory HDD install. I know the 360 one has load times but I want to know how much of a difference it made.

Okay, I FINALLY finished Ratchet & Clank. Yeah, it was a great game, I just got distracted with the HTPC I was building. Anyway, that allowed me to finally get around to Devil May Cry 4. I've only done the first four missions. I haven't noticed any graphical tearing or anything, and as for the load times, they're maybe three or four seconds from the mission screen to actual gameplay, and more or less nonexistant going from door to door. The worst is between gameplay and cutscenes. It's not that it's long, again, maybe four seconds. It's just noticeable then because it's four seconds out of action.

All told, if you're buying the PS3 version because you generally prefer the PS3 to the 360, or you prefer the Dual Shock/SIXAXIS controller to the 360 controller for DMC games, or maybe because you have a 20, 60, or 80GB PS3 and you want to play all your DMC games on the same console, great. Maybe you're afraid of the RRoD, or maybe the PS3's you're only console. There are legitimate reasons to go with the PS3 version. But I don't think the load times are the deal breaker, as I don't see the 20 minute install worth shaving a second or two off your load times. Personally, I like the 360's Achievements, I prefer the 360's controller for everything but D-pad heavy games, and I admit that I think of the 360 more for gaming and the PS3 more as a media player, so I'm quite content with my decision to get it for the 360.

I can't stress enough, though, there are legitimate reasons to get Devil May Cry 4 for either console. I really fail to see either version clearly superior, and I think ultimately which version you get comes down to personal preference.

Regardless of the system, though, it's a game that should absolutely be played by everyone. The difficulty, as Gaijin said, is nicely between 2 and 3, and the Devil Bringer is a solid addition to the series that opens up some new moves and combos without really changing the overall feel of the game. Nero is very much like the young Dante from Devil May Cry 3, and not a disappointing alternative for a main character. Plus, I think having Nero for a main character makes DMC4 a good starting point for players who missed the first three.

Anyone download Tekken 5? How is it?

It's ok...looks nice for a Tekken title but I was never a fan of Tekken. Too slow for me. I bought it simply because my friend wanted to see it badly. She playe dit for like an hour and we went back to VF-5. B))

Anyone download Tekken 5? How is it?

Its good...that's all

If you like Tekken, you'll like it. Graphics look good but not as good as VF5 though. But Tekken is more of just an upgrade than a whole new game. But unlike VF5, Tekken is fun to play. The VF series is boring.

Online play for Tekken is ok. There is some lag. And waiting around for a match to start can get boring.

http://kotaku.com/360906/metal-gear-solid-...-a-release-date

and the dual shock 3 for 54.99 April 15th

June 12, 2008. According to sources there now, the release of Kojima Productions action-stealth game will arrive on a Thursday, oddly enough. Even more interesting is that we're hearing word that Sony will be offering a hardware bundle that features MGS4, an 80GB PlayStation 3 and a DualShock 3 packed-in.

http://kotaku.com/360906/metal-gear-solid-...-a-release-date

and the dual shock 3 for 54.99 April 15th

I like rumble, but I don't like it $55 worth.

What's up with game controllers costing as much as games these days? I'm going to stick with the Logitech Cordless Precision I picked up instead. Yeah, it doesn't support the tilt functions, but I've turned tilt off in every game I've played, and it does support rumble, has a better overall feel, and doubles as a wireless PC controller.

Didn't you get the memo, Wireless + Internal Rechargable Battery = Ph4t L3wtz for the Hardware manufacturers. I think they feel entitled to make up some of the system cost losses through peripherals. I absolutely suffered from sticker shock when I saw the Sixaxis prices in Circuit City.

What's up with game controllers costing as much as games these days? I'm going to stick with the Logitech Cordless Precision I picked up instead. Yeah, it doesn't support the tilt functions, but I've turned tilt off in every game I've played, and it does support rumble, has a better overall feel, and doubles as a wireless PC controller.

Heh, I only paid $60 for my Ceramic White a couple months ago. Doesn't a regular sixaxis go for near $50?

The 360's controllers are $50 with no rechargeable battery. And Wii remotes are $40 plus $20 for the Nunchuck. We're in the age of expensive controllers, though a few years ago, 3rd party cordless controllers for the PS2 and Xbox ran in those ranges. Only the Wavebird was relatively cheap.

The 360's controllers are $50 with no rechargeable battery. And Wii remotes are $40 plus $20 for the Nunchuck. We're in the age of expensive controllers, though a few years ago, 3rd party cordless controllers for the PS2 and Xbox ran in those ranges. Only the Wavebird was relatively cheap.

Yeah, but the 360 and the Wii both come with the controller you want. They don't give you a crappy controller and then give you the good one a year and a half later. As for player twos, I got a wired 360 controller and the Wiimote that comes with Wii Play, no nunchuck. And considering how cheap the SIXAXIS feels for $50, $40 for the Logitech Cordless Precision seemed like a steal.

Semi-related note, the battery that came with my Play N' Charge kit wasn't really holding its charge anymore, so I bought a new one shortly after I bought Mass Effect. What happens when the SIXAXIS or Dual Shock 3 stops holding its charge? Do they make replacements, and do you have to pry apart your whole controller? Or does Sony expect you to buy a new controller every two years?

IIRC if and when the battery dies, you are supposed to send the controller to Sony for a new battery. What kind of battery is it? I think I could change it myself.

Ya 54.99 is steep for the DS3. Sony should just sell it for the same price as the current controllers, 49.99. Or offer a 5.00-10.00 off coupon to all PS3 owners. I imported one a few months ago but I had the extra cash from selling junk on ebay.

I'll probably end up getting another Logitech controller though.