The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

Hopefully SOny doesn't kill the 80GB since if/when I get another (hopefully in silver, please! Like I've been waiting for since E3 a couple years back) it still has some BC.

Yeah, I read this on joystiq. I can't wait to see what the maps will look like. They'll have to be massive to be able to do 30 v 30 and not have it dissolve into chaotic carnage.

I'm also wondering if they're going to do dedicated servers... frankly, halo's answer of having our consoles doing the hosting just sucks ass.

Resistance 2 revealed. Holy crap. 60 players online, and 8 player co-op. Different classes to play online: Medic, spec op, etc.

gicoverfeb08.jpg

Well, good for people who liked the first one. Sadly, that doesn't include me. :(

Well, good for people who liked the first one. Sadly, that doesn't include me. :(

I didn't care for it either. The WWII FPS has been done to death and then some...

So, will it be anything like BF2 online? That was fun for a while, and I'd like to see what Resistance would offer in that respect...

I didn't care for it either. The WWII FPS has been done to death and then some...

Well, I'll give them credit for doing the whole alien thing, and trying to do something that wasn't yet another Medal of Honor clone. But in a market that's flooded with FPS now, I just can't help but feel that Resistance was merely mediocre. Not bad, but not great, either.

The multiplayer is definitely big news... if you're into that. Unfortunately, again, I hate playing shooters online. In the living room with some friends, sure, but on the nets with every foul-mouthed pre-teen that talked his parents into buying him an M-rated game, no.

I'm not a fan of FPS's but I thought it was pretty good. That said though, I'd take a sides crolling shooter over any FPS. That's just me. I get enough "crap your pants First Person Shooter" action at work. B))

Edited by Gaijin

Resistance is a great game. I used to have a blast with the online deathmatches. I've always wanted to get back to it after Warhawk but even though I'm still doing Warhawk, COD4 takes up all the other time... I even stopped playing BF2 finally.

The multiplayer is definitely big news... if you're into that. Unfortunately, again, I hate playing shooters online. In the living room with some friends, sure, but on the nets with every foul-mouthed pre-teen that talked his parents into buying him an M-rated game, no.

right on.

Saying you can handle 60 player battles is one thing. Having 60 players play together without lag is another.

Never been any lag on COD4 or Warhawk or Resistance online for myself. Up to 32-40'ish. 20 more players at those graphics sounds significant but most of the weight is being pulled by the individual PS3's so doesn't seem unbelievable to go to 60 or so.

I bought Gundam Target in Sight, I think its called cross fire in the USA, anyway I know it got crap reviews and everyone says its shite, but the gundam fanboy in me had to buy it. I actually think its a OK game, nice graphics for the mobile suits, but utter crap for the enviroment detail. I think this was probably originally ment to be a PS2 release judging by the graphics. I bought it for £15, I reckon its a bargain considering the games are about £50 over here. I found the gameplay to be not as bad as the reviews made out to be. Now I'll wait for Gundam Dynasty Warriors to drop in price.

So when does Ace Combat come out for the PS3? Are they still in that XBox360 exclusive contract or can we expect to see AC6 sometime soon?

You are a brave soul. Or a Gundam maniac. B))

Gundam Maniac and a desperate person trying to expand my PS3 games collection. Hopefully this year alot more games would be released, instead of delays.

Wow, Jenna Haze. She's in one of my favorite clips of all time. Nowadays, when she's not doing boring couple's-oriented videos, she's on a PS3!

Why release a demo when the game comes out 6 days later, might as well not release it at all.

I seriously wonder whats up with the gaming industry these days... -_-

Because people might still buy it AFTER the initial release date.

What a dumb thing to get upset about. A few years ago we couldnt get any demos, and now we're complaining they don't release them far enough in advance? Yeesh.

Why release a demo when the game comes out 6 days later, might as well not release it at all.

Because it's cheaper than renting for those who aren't sure they want to buy it?

So that the player doesn't forget about the demo when the game comes out? Six days seems like an interesting marketing strategy. Its not designed to showcase the game weeks or months before its release (DMC is already such an established franchise that you ain't gotta do that), but to "remind" players its coming out. There's also a possibility that the demo feeds straight into the retail version, although unlikely.

I'm with Keith on this one- Six days doesn't seem crazy to me.

I just wish the demo for DMC4 was out earlier(say today) so I could play it. I have the special edition preordered.

Burnout Paradise is getting positive reviews. 8.8 at IGN and 9's across the board in EGM. I didn't like the demo that much. But I'll still give it a chance since I'm a Burnout fan.

This is what I found annoying in the demo. Besides DJ Atomica... :

Another downside to the overall design of the open world setup is that you cannot simply pause and restart an event. This means that if you race from one side of the map to the other, which you will often do, you'll need to turn around and drive all the way back to the starting point to try again if you lose

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/846/846020p1.html

I guess one point of the game is if you don't succeed in one part of the game, there are other things to complete nearby. We'll see.

For the DMC fan. Besides the game, it supposedly comes with a DMC Blu-ray movie.

http://www.ncsx.com/2008/012108/ncs0121u.htm

Looks like Capcom changed their mind

That’s right kids, you heard it here first: The Devil May Cry 4 demo you’ve heard about will be up on XBox Live and PlayStation Network this Thursday, January 24, 2008. We’re told to expect it up on XBox Live at 2am PST, and between 2 and 3pm PST on PlayStation Network

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/790

post-121-1201038598_thumb.jpg

Edited by dejr8bud

Get this...

So I get Rock Band PS3 for x-mas and like most my guitar stops working correctly after a few days. I call EA (since they are doing support...I hate EA). They send out an guitar within 5 days that looks like some refurbashed, scratched up POS. I call EA back and they say they will send another but this one sits on a shipping dock for a week or so. After numerous attempts of sitting on hold (for 40 minutes per attempt) trying to get the right person at EA I decide to call Harmonix direct.

Harmonix steps in and gets me one of the head support folks at EA. This guy totally hooks me up. I end up with:

-5 guitars (I have to send 1 back)

-Madden 08 (too bad they shipped me the 360 ed)

-NHL 08 (too bad they shipped me the 360 ed)

-Need for Speed Burnout

-An extra drum pedal (I'm going to hook them both up at once)

I'm awaiting an e-mail back about the wrong versions they sent but the guy is so cool he'll probably just tell me to keep them and send me new ps3 one's to boot. At least that's what I'm hoping happens.

I also gave him some feedback about the rosters for NHL asking them to get them right and offered a goalie mini game suggestion that the developers said they might look into using.

Moral of the story...if EA jerks you around call harmonix to get better support from EA.

Rock on!

Edited by jwinges