The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

has anyone played :Gundam Crossfire?

Still call it Gundam Cross-eyed but yeah it is fun. Just finishing the Zeon campaign for a second time.

The key is to get it cheep and understand that it is not the best game on the PS3.

We had forewarning and didn't pay full price for those that did when first released I can understand the pain.

I've actually played it, and you sir, are crazy. The vs. games are some of the best Gundam games to date, with probably the Battle series on the PSP being better. Crossfire is, in fact, possibly one of the Gundam games I disliked WORSE than Zeonic Front (the one on the Dreamcast was pretty bad, too).

I've played pretty much every gundam game they have made and I would still consider crossfire in the top 5-10. I like the PSP battle series. I especially liked Rengou vs zaft 2 and most of the seed games were decent. Its in the arcades there. I really enjoyed one year war and lost war chronicles.

True Odyssy wasn't bad either for a RPG.

Aueg vs titans was average at best. Long but average.

Federation vs. Zeon was average at best. Long but average.

Journey to Jabaro was below avg.

Dynasty warriors gundam ps3 is ok at best. Crossfire is better than that...at least you have to have some talent to beat crossfire on very hard and open up everything.

The dreamcast game was bad only because of the control scheme. If one can get past that it actually had a good plot.

I haven't played Scad Hammer or 0079 for the wii but am thinking about 0079 now that freeloader is out.

I also haven't played the trivia games like Girens greed.

Without a doubt crossfire is one of the better games since you actually have to use some strategy to beat it. Decent plot and a long game to open everything. The graphics are better than most gundam games as well. If you have any liking for ground force combat like in 8th MS team or even some of the stuff in 0083 or 0079 you'll like crossfire. Especially since its one of the few ps3 games that won't bust your wallet.

I've played pretty much every gundam game they have made and I would still consider crossfire in the top 5-10. I like the PSP battle series. I especially liked Rengou vs zaft 2 and most of the seed games were decent. Its in the arcades there. I really enjoyed one year war and lost war chronicles.

True Odyssy wasn't bad either for a RPG.

Aueg vs titans was average at best. Long but average.

Federation vs. Zeon was average at best. Long but average.

Journey to Jabaro was below avg.

Dynasty warriors gundam ps3 is ok at best. Crossfire is better than that...at least you have to have some talent to beat crossfire on very hard and open up everything.

The dreamcast game was bad only because of the control scheme. If one can get past that it actually had a good plot.

I haven't played Scad Hammer or 0079 for the wii but am thinking about 0079 now that freeloader is out.

Without a doubt crossfire is one of the better games since you actually have to use some strategy to beat it. Decent plot and a long game to open everything. The graphics are better than most gundam games as well. If you have any liking for ground force combat like in 8th MS team or even some of the stuff in 0083 or 0079 you'll like crossfire. Especially since its one of the few ps3 games that won't bust your wallet.

Sorry, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I mean, yeah, I can agree that Zeonic Front was poop on a stick, and that Journey to Jaburo was almost good, but missed the mark. I can agree that True Odyssey was fun, Rengou vs. Zaft 2 was good (the first one was fun, but lacking the dedicated console modes), and the Battle series is probably my favorite. I'll also throw in that I liked Encounters in Space and One Year War, and that Climax UC was good but kind of forgettable. And yes, the Dreamcast game was bad because it played like the controller input was relaying commands to a monkey, who then tried to repeat the commands but failed. A good plot doesn't save a bad game; if I wanted to watch a good Gundam story, I'll put Zeta on.

But I'm sorry, Feddie vs. Zeon and AEUG vs. Titans are probably my favorite non-Battle Gundam games (although I'll grant you it's a little harder to go back to them after playing the faster SEED vs games). And I really liked Dynasty Warriors Gundam. It probably helped that I liked Dynasty Warriors sans Gundam, so DWG for me was one of those Reese's "You got chocolate in my peanut butter" things. But even if I didn't like DWG, I'm still pretty sure that I would have liked it better than Crossfire. Strategy? The most important strategy I came up with was to lean my mattress against the wall so I didn't break my SIXAXIS when I threw my controller in frustration at having discovered a Gundam game with worse controls than Zeonic Front or the Dreamcast game. When I was a kid and had to wait 11 months between my birthday and Christmas to get a new Nintendo game, I might have accepted shoddy controls, but now I'm too old and have too many other games to play. Crap controls are a gamebreaker for me.

As for cheap games, just check out Target every now and then. They're always putting PS3 games on clearance. So far, I've picked up Need For Speed Carbon, Genji, Folklore, and F-1, each for $15. Orange Box is $30, and even though I heard it plays better on the 360, I'll probably buy it for the PS3 if/when it drops to $15, since only the PS3 version is on clearance.

Finally played some Warhawk again. new 1.3 added the wrench and healing. Forgot how much I missed it. Where are the members at? Anyone want to join, send a message to PSN: Uxi and I'll send a clan Invite.

Have you actually played it. It isn't really that bad. Especially the later missions, say about 4 hours into the game. I find it better than the federation vs. zeon games everyone raves about. Musch better than zeonic front.

Yup. Substandard in just about every respect, though I admit not being a fan of Gundam. That said, I've played other Gundam games and didn't get the feeling that this was a rushed piece of shovelware.

Be advised, this is MY opinion. If you have fun with it, more power to you. Hell, I liked Clive Barker's Jericho in spite of many flaws.

Edited by Gaijin

I love Gundam more than the next guy too, but there's no way to sugar coat crossfire's half-assedness. If they gave that game another yaer of graphics polish, tightened up the control, added a decent number of mobile suits, and tightened up the control, it definately could have been something. But simply adding the feature to take out body parts, doesn't equate strategy to me. The Vs & Battle games are far far superior.

The Giren's Greed series is a strategy game, basically Romance of the Three Kingdoms but for Gundam.

If you can understand Japanese, they're probably the best Gundam game out there. Tons of fan service and alternate reality possibilities that fans would love. Hell, even if you can't understand Japanese they're still pretty solid strategy games.

I think it's funny you use "length" as a basis of judgement on the Vs. series of games, since they're designed to be multiplayer games first and foremost.

Got the update last night and watched about 1/3 of Kingdom of Heaven. Great movie, great PQ and now finally great AQ worthy of it. I'm sure my neighbors hate me now more than ever. :D

The Giren's Greed series is a strategy game, basically Romance of the Three Kingdoms but for Gundam.

If you can understand Japanese, they're probably the best Gundam game out there. Tons of fan service and alternate reality possibilities that fans would love. Hell, even if you can't understand Japanese they're still pretty solid strategy games.

I think it's funny you use "length" as a basis of judgement on the Vs. series of games, since they're designed to be multiplayer games first and foremost.

Actually length might not be the best word. I thought they were short and way too easy. Plus if you played federation vs zeon fully Titans vs Aeug seemed like a rehash of the same poor graphics...new mobile suits but the overall gameplay was forgettable. I like most of the seed games even though they too were short but at least were fast paced and the suits didn't handle like a brick in space. I too am really liking the battle series for PSP since its fast paced fun. Half the reason I get the new systems is for the Gundam games...I also liked DWG but its totally mindless fun not a lot of strategy needed.

Finally played some Warhawk again. new 1.3 added the wrench and healing. Forgot how much I missed it. Where are the members at? Anyone want to join, send a message to PSN: Uxi and I'll send a clan Invite.

I can't wait till the new game pack comes out. I've played way too much warhawk over the last 2 months. I have to watch it with only 3 weeks left in the semester now. Too many papers to write and about a foot tall pile of papers to grade. A friend of mine is so addicted to the game its rediculous...he's played 115 hours since getting the game in late feb.

Especially since its one of the few ps3 games that won't bust your wallet.

For cheep fun pick up the Eureka Seven Games for the old PS2. Dissenters let the stones fly... if anything get the second game...the battles have more surfing.

Yes, wrong system... but the Eureka Seven Game for the PSP has a level where you push the buttons in the correct order to massage Ms. Talho's legs :blink: ... how is that for Playstation oddity.

There is also a level where you scrub floors before time runs out. :wacko:

For cheep fun pick up the Eureka Seven Games for the old PS2. Dissenters let the stones fly... if anything get the second game...the battles have more surfing.

Yes, wrong system... but the Eureka Seven Game for the PSP has a level where you push the buttons in the correct order to massage Ms. Talho's legs :blink: ... how is that for Playstation oddity.

There is also a level where you scrub floors before time runs out. :wacko:

I found the Eureka seven games for PS2 to be ok at best but if they are cheap what the hey. I played the PSP version while flying to japan. There are some pretty odd things you have to do. I totally forgot about the talho leg message part. :lol::lol:

Plus if you played federation vs zeon fully Titans vs Aeug seemed like a rehash of the same poor graphics...new mobile suits but the overall gameplay was forgettable. I like most of the seed games even though they too were short but at least were fast paced and the suits didn't handle like a brick in space. I too am really liking the battle series for PSP since its fast paced fun. Half the reason I get the new systems is for the Gundam games...I also liked DWG but its totally mindless fun not a lot of strategy needed.

I think you're really missing the point of them. They're fighting games, not single player adventure games. Do people complain because games like Virtua Fighter or Tekken are "too short?" The same reasoning applies to the gameplay, slight tweaks for better gameplay balance instead of a complete rehash. Not sure where you get the idea the graphics were poor though, a man who hates Naomi graphics probably has a black heart.

I found the Eureka seven games for PS2 to be ok at best but if they are cheap what the hey. I played the PSP version while flying to japan. There are some pretty odd things you have to do. I totally forgot about the talho leg message part. :lol::lol:

Then you forgot the best part when Talho slaps Renton on the back of his head for doing it wrong. :lol: :lol: :unsure:

Here is one of the photos that appeared in the old post.

What I thought when I saw it was, "Don't know what was asked :unsure: the blond seems surprised but the chick with the glasses is all about it."

Still couldn't find the old posts though.

Edited due to lack of typing skill and good taste.

post-3784-1208387123_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fly4victory

Anybody played the Megazone 23 PS3 game...I found one at a shop for 24 bucks. I'll get it if it good and action based. if it based on an RPG or Dating sim style thing (chat boxes and slections) I'll pass.

I seem to recall it being a little bit RPG and a little bit dating sim. No action, in any case.

Are we going to see Gundam OPERESHONTOROI in other words GUNDAM OPERATION: TROY on the PS3 or will we be abandoned like Ace Combat 6?

The Japanese release date is June 26, 2008 for X-box.

I don't see a PS listed at http://www.operation-troy.com/

It does look good.

I think that is an xbox 360 exclusive. Looks pretty cool though. Imagine being a ground troop trying to take out a GM or Gundam.

I just wish they would make that Gundam Simulator you find in arcades in Japan a PS3 release. Its basically like warhawk with global rankings and such. If I had that, I'd probably never leave my house let alone by any more games.

X 360 exclusive! :angry:

I dumped my replacement X360 with all accessories and games on Ebay last year after Microsoft sent me a refurbished POS that RROD right out of the box. Getting rid of the 360 was how I was able to get a PS3. Wife would go Ape-S if I bought one especially for a Gundam game.

I know what you mean about never leaving the house. When Command and Conquer (for PC) was released I never slept. I just went to school and then stayed up all night playing. Amazing that I ever finished college.

Don't how how much fun being a ground-pounder vs a mobile suit would be. I see a very short life span unless you have very good concealment and can coordinate for volley fire of anti-armor weapons from other teams. Just look at 8th MS team the villagers were chewed up by the anti-personnel weapons on a non-functional Zaku II. OK, yeah that does sound like fun if the game can support that level of tactial planning and execution.

I think it would be fun, as Zeon, to steal a Earth Forces Gundam and go on a rampage. Yeah old story line.

I love stealing other teams equipment in Star Wars Battlefront and C+C but you are instantly tagged as enemy. I think you should be able to walk about unmolested if the theft was unobserved, at least, until you do an offensive act.

Either way Operation: Troy looks so better than Crossfire and so much fun.

I have a question about GT5:P... so it's a 40$ demo? Does it entitle you to get the full game for 20$ when it comes out?

AFAIK? Yes it's a $40 demo, and no, I think they'll charge you full price for GT5 when it hits.

I have given the use of my XBox 360 to my 7 year old so that he can play it.....I am focused solely on the PS3. I just love the thing. I dont know if I am going to go with Dualshock 3 yet or not, but I cant wait until MGS4 comes out. I have a question about installing Linux Yellow Dog on the PS3....what benefit does this do for you, can you utilize it like a desktop computer, granted that you pick up the USB/Bluetooth keyboard/mouse thing? I think it would be nice to have a computer set up like that, but how much space does it use on the HDD? I have a 60 GB unit. Does it allow you to display things in HD resolution using Linux? I am soo unknowledgeable about this sort of things, so please bear with me.

Twich

ps-here is a questions..... Does anyone think it is possible to put Mac OS X 10.5 on the PS3? Now that would be awesome! But probably not possible.

I have absolutely no interest in Racing Games, but I could see how the whole deal with GT5 is going to sour a lot of people who love the series and want to buy the game when it comes out. So, is this the definiative HD version that was supposed to come out around the same time as the PS3?

Me neither.

Racing games for tend to be boring. There comes a point in the race where you know you have no chance of winning. You're force to either quit the race or finish it as the loser. That the part of the race where I just want say the hell with it and run over someone or cause a horrible crash.

GT has a rabid fanbase, just like Halo. Demo or not, the Prologue games have been done in Japan for years, and fans always wanted them here....now they are and of course, people who don't play GT are bitching. For the fans, this is entrance into the "exclusive club" that hardcore GT fans are in.

Never really liked GT until 4, and I just may take the plunge again, since I've recently purchased a Logitech G25 and Playseats combo. Ahh, just when I think I'm done with racing games, I sucker myself back in.

Edited by Gaijin

GT has a rabid fanbase, just like Halo. Demo or not, the Prologue games have been done in Japan for years, and fans always wanted them here....now they are and of course, people who don't play GT are bitching. For the fans, this is entrance into the "exclusive club" that hardcore GT fans are in.

Never really liked GT until 4, and I just may take the plunge again, since I've recently purchased a Logitech G25 and Playseats combo. Ahh, just when I think I'm done with racing games, I sucker myself back in.

I'm kind of the opposite. I played the heck out of GT3, but I didn't care for GT4, since it the biggest change between 3 and 4 was the addition of way too many old used Honda Civics and what not. It didn't help that Forza was everything I wanted GT4 to be.

Even though I haven't really played Forza 2 (I'm more into arcadey racing games that realistic ones), I'll probably check out GT5 when it comes out, but I really have no interest in GT5 Prologue.