The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

I have given the use of my XBox 360 to my 7 year old so that he can play it.....I am focused solely on the PS3. I just love the thing. I dont know if I am going to go with Dualshock 3 yet or not, but I cant wait until MGS4 comes out. I have a question about installing Linux Yellow Dog on the PS3....what benefit does this do for you, can you utilize it like a desktop computer, granted that you pick up the USB/Bluetooth keyboard/mouse thing? I think it would be nice to have a computer set up like that, but how much space does it use on the HDD? I have a 60 GB unit. Does it allow you to display things in HD resolution using Linux? I am soo unknowledgeable about this sort of things, so please bear with me.

Twich

ps-here is a questions..... Does anyone think it is possible to put Mac OS X 10.5 on the PS3? Now that would be awesome! But probably not possible.

YDL + usb keyboard + mouse will make your PS3 work just like a linux box, but a heck lot faster. If you are not running web server, db server, or java development you will be very happy. So far we've tried Apache Tomcat and Jboss seems fine, coding in C and Java are great. However, since the available memory for jvm is usually only around 200mb, some J2EE package will crash the box. There is also no working 64 bit jvm available that I know of, so you will be using the 32 bit one, it's nothing wrong I think but just not as fast. Sun does not seems like they would build a 64 bit jvm for the cell processor at this time, they want you to buy their servers.... I've never put hd content other than bd and games with ps3, so maybe someone can answer that? swap out the 60gb with one as big as you can get, won't hurt.

I don't think OS X would work right out of the box on PS3, same reason Windows wouldn't, there are a few more free linux builds out there that have been proven to work on ps3. I suppose Apple would run a new build for their OS for cell processors someday??

Edited by Vince

YDL + usb keyboard + mouse will make your PS3 work just like a linux box, but a heck lot faster

What kind of Linux box are you running? I've got Xandros 4 on my backup computer (P4 2.6GHz, 1.5GB RAM, GeForce 6200), and not only is it faster than YDL on my PS3, it's like the difference between a Corvette and a Cobalt. I don't think that YDL is optimized for Cell; it's a PPC port. I suspect they might be using one or two of the Cell's SPUs to render video, since Sony restricted access to the RSX. Maybe YDL can use the RSX's VRAM for video, but it still only has 256MB for the system RAM. That's probably plenty for gaming, but minimal for even a lot of Linux distros.

I know you guys are speaking English but... wow. Is this a hack of the PS3 like the people that are using 360 and Wii controllers?

The big thing that I am wondering is will the MGS controllers be sold separately? Googled it but found nothing last night.

I don't know if they are gun metal or OD green but I would like to replace my normal controllers with a couple of the special DS3's.

Okay....I sort of follow what you have written, please forgive my ignorance, but I thought that Yellow Dog Linux was the version written exclusively for PS3, is this not true? How about Ubuntu? Is this something that would work okay on PS3? I would like to run something that enables me to have a better web browser on my PS3 like Firefox, so that I dont have to rely on my computer to access the internet or web pages. What do you all suggest? Yes, I know I am pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks

Twich

okay, here is another question. Does Sony have plans of upgrading their integrated web browser? Like when I try to pull up Macrossworld on it, it keeps reloading the page over and over again, and something I can click on a topic to make it stop, and sometimes I cant. So, I guess if they allowed for download of another web browser, that would make me happy, since that is all that I really want to do anyway. So, what suggestions can you make, or do you know of something in the pipeline that is coming from Sony?

Thanks

Twich

Okay....I sort of follow what you have written, please forgive my ignorance, but I thought that Yellow Dog Linux was the version written exclusively for PS3, is this not true? How about Ubuntu? Is this something that would work okay on PS3? I would like to run something that enables me to have a better web browser on my PS3 like Firefox, so that I dont have to rely on my computer to access the internet or web pages. What do you all suggest? Yes, I know I am pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks

Twich

YDL has been a PPC Linux distro aimed at running on old Macintosh hardware long before the PS3 (first release in 1999). Terrasoft, the makers of YDL, officially support the PS3 and YDL may be more optimized for the PS3's hardware than other Linux distros, but YDL for PS3 is still basically a port of YDL 5.

YDL is, I guess, the easiest version of Linux to install on the PS3, because since it is officially supported, there's plenty of directions for how to install it. It's been a long time since I did it myself, but IIRC you need to back up your PS3, then tell the PS3 to format itself to make room for another OS. Unfortunately, you're only options are 10 for the Other OS and the rest for the PS3, or 10 for the PS3 and the rest for the Other OS, but that shouldn't be a big deal if all you really want to do is browse the net. In fact, YDL will install Firefox by default when you install it. Oh, yeah, you'll also need a bootloader. You put it on a USB memory stick or what not, and it lets the PS3 boot the Other OS before it's installed (once YDL is installed, you won't need it anymore).

In fact, the trickiest thing I remember about installing Linux is that, by default, once YDL is installed, it will become the default OS, and YDL doesn't make it clear how to boot back into the XMB. What I did was use the tools in YDL to write a little program that basically put a button on the panel (that's YDL's version of the Mac OS dock), complete with PS logo, that when click runs a Terminal script to reboot the PS3 in the XMB. I'd be happy to post directions for what I did if anyone wants them, but I should point out that I did it maybe a year ago. I know after I downloaded the YDL distro and installed it, it used one script, but after I updated YDL, it used a different script, so I had to change it. I'm not sure if the actual distro is updated now, or after you install it and update it if it's current with mine or not, so mileage may vary.

Oh, and for the record, yes, Ubuntu can run on the PS3, as long as you get the PPC version and not the Intel version. You'll also need a bootloader. I have no idea how to do it, but I'm sure it should be similar and there are probably directions on an Ubuntu forum or something. I know a friend of mine installed Kubuntu on his. (Kubuntu is Ubuntu with the KDE desktop instead of the GNOME desktop. It seems less popular, but I found it to be much more user-friendly, especially if you're not familiar with Linux.)

One final thing to note... unless you leave YDL/Ubuntu/whatever Linux distro you choose as your default OS, booting into it will involve starting the PS3, navigating to the Other OS menu in the PS3's settings, then directing it to start the Other OS, at which point the PS3 will reboot, then boot Linux. Booting Linux takes as long, if not longer, than booting Windows. You might find it easier to just use the ol' computer (or, if you've got the money to burn, an iPod touch).

As far as Sony updating their web browser, there's no reason why they couldn't via a firmware update, but whether they will or not is another story. I haven't heard anything about it. I'll let you in on a little secret (one that's sure to get me branded as a Nintendo/Microsoft/Apple fanboy, which seems to happen whenever I express the slightest displeasure with Sony, but I digress)... Sony's web browser sucks. Big time. I sucked on the PSP, and it's no better on the PS3. I'd say use Opera on the Wii if you have it, as it's slightly better, but certainly not enough to warrant paying for it. In fact, the only browser I've ever used that wasn't a computer's that I actually liked is Safari mobile in the iPhone/iPod touch. Safari mobile is almost worth the cost of the hardware by itself, but it works by not making the same crappy compromises that the Sony browser, or Opera Wii, or IE for Windows Mobile make.

YDL has been a PPC Linux distro aimed at running on old Macintosh hardware long before the PS3 (first release in 1999). Terrasoft, the makers of YDL, officially support the PS3 and YDL may be more optimized for the PS3's hardware than other Linux distros, but YDL for PS3 is still basically a port of YDL 5.

YDL is, I guess, the easiest version of Linux to install on the PS3, because since it is officially supported, there's plenty of directions for how to install it. It's been a long time since I did it myself, but IIRC you need to back up your PS3, then tell the PS3 to format itself to make room for another OS. Unfortunately, you're only options are 10 for the Other OS and the rest for the PS3, or 10 for the PS3 and the rest for the Other OS, but that shouldn't be a big deal if all you really want to do is browse the net. In fact, YDL will install Firefox by default when you install it. Oh, yeah, you'll also need a bootloader. You put it on a USB memory stick or what not, and it lets the PS3 boot the Other OS before it's installed (once YDL is installed, you won't need it anymore).

In fact, the trickiest thing I remember about installing Linux is that, by default, once YDL is installed, it will become the default OS, and YDL doesn't make it clear how to boot back into the XMB. What I did was use the tools in YDL to write a little program that basically put a button on the panel (that's YDL's version of the Mac OS dock), complete with PS logo, that when click runs a Terminal script to reboot the PS3 in the XMB. I'd be happy to post directions for what I did if anyone wants them, but I should point out that I did it maybe a year ago. I know after I downloaded the YDL distro and installed it, it used one script, but after I updated YDL, it used a different script, so I had to change it. I'm not sure if the actual distro is updated now, or after you install it and update it if it's current with mine or not, so mileage may vary.

Oh, and for the record, yes, Ubuntu can run on the PS3, as long as you get the PPC version and not the Intel version. You'll also need a bootloader. I have no idea how to do it, but I'm sure it should be similar and there are probably directions on an Ubuntu forum or something. I know a friend of mine installed Kubuntu on his. (Kubuntu is Ubuntu with the KDE desktop instead of the GNOME desktop. It seems less popular, but I found it to be much more user-friendly, especially if you're not familiar with Linux.)

One final thing to note... unless you leave YDL/Ubuntu/whatever Linux distro you choose as your default OS, booting into it will involve starting the PS3, navigating to the Other OS menu in the PS3's settings, then directing it to start the Other OS, at which point the PS3 will reboot, then boot Linux. Booting Linux takes as long, if not longer, than booting Windows. You might find it easier to just use the ol' computer (or, if you've got the money to burn, an iPod touch).

As far as Sony updating their web browser, there's no reason why they couldn't via a firmware update, but whether they will or not is another story. I haven't heard anything about it. I'll let you in on a little secret (one that's sure to get me branded as a Nintendo/Microsoft/Apple fanboy, which seems to happen whenever I express the slightest displeasure with Sony, but I digress)... Sony's web browser sucks. Big time. I sucked on the PSP, and it's no better on the PS3. I'd say use Opera on the Wii if you have it, as it's slightly better, but certainly not enough to warrant paying for it. In fact, the only browser I've ever used that wasn't a computer's that I actually liked is Safari mobile in the iPhone/iPod touch. Safari mobile is almost worth the cost of the hardware by itself, but it works by not making the same crappy compromises that the Sony browser, or Opera Wii, or IE for Windows Mobile make.

Why is it that anytime somewhat starts trying to explain Linux, I get a massive headache. :wacko: I'm glad some of you guys have a good mind for it...cause I surely don't. :blink::blink::blink:

What kind of Linux box are you running? I've got Xandros 4 on my backup computer (P4 2.6GHz, 1.5GB RAM, GeForce 6200), and not only is it faster than YDL on my PS3, it's like the difference between a Corvette and a Cobalt. I don't think that YDL is optimized for Cell; it's a PPC port. I suspect they might be using one or two of the Cell's SPUs to render video, since Sony restricted access to the RSX. Maybe YDL can use the RSX's VRAM for video, but it still only has 256MB for the system RAM. That's probably plenty for gaming, but minimal for even a lot of Linux distros.

Now I'm the geek here, but I do coding on a Sun9 all day long (I think is 1.2GHz? single processor), the PS3 -- I think what my geek friend said -- has a 9 core processor, core one handle all the threading for the rest, each at around 3GHz. I run things at command prompt, jobs run a lot faster. Running Java appl is another story, since after all the overhead there is only around 210 mb or so of system memory, the perform real suck sometimes.

I have Ubuntu on a p3 1GHz with 1Gb of ram and its is painfully slow. I mainly use XP at home.

Now I'm the geek here, but I do coding on a Sun9 all day long (I think is 1.2GHz? single processor), the PS3 -- I think what my geek friend said -- has a 9 core processor, core one handle all the threading for the rest, each at around 3GHz. I run things at command prompt, jobs run a lot faster. Running Java appl is another story, since after all the overhead there is only around 210 mb or so of system memory, the perform real suck sometimes.

I have Ubuntu on a p3 1GHz with 1Gb of ram and its is painfully slow. I mainly use XP at home.

Well, the Cell isn't exactly a nine-core device, but yeah, it works something like that. Having extra cores doesn't automatically mean more processing power, just the potential for it. Applications need to be written to take advantage of it. This makes the Cell an excellent choice for super computers/cluster computers running complicated mathematics (like the whole Folding@Home thing), but YDL is still a PPC port. Terrasoft may have made some optimizations, like allowing the Cell to render video through an SPE since it can't have access to the RSX video chipset, but at the end of the day YDL isn't going to make the most efficient use of the Cell.

In any case, it's not just about processing power. Processing power will allow the PS3 to crunch the numbers faster, but I think RAM is the big issue here. In PS3 mode, it has 256MB for the game you're running to work with, plus another 256MB dedicated to the RSX for video. For some reason, perhaps in fear that open-source developers will create Linux games for free that will be better than PS3 games or a Linux app that will allow you to pirate PS3 games and run them from the HDD in Linux mode, Sony won't allow a guest OS access to the RSX. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that goes for the VRAM, too. That leaves only 256MB for Linux applications. That slows everything down because the applications have to keep moving, dumping, and moving information in the RAM.

Yeah, the PS3 IS going to be a fast Linux box compared to a P3! 1.0GHz was fast for a P3, but the PS3 is two generations (three next year when Nehalem replaces the Core architecture) behind. But if you're running Linux on modern PC hardware, the PS3 makes for the slower Linux box.

Why is it that anytime somewhat starts trying to explain Linux, I get a massive headache.

In an age where its becoming cool to be kind of geeky, Linux separates the cool geeks from the nerdy ones.

Wait a minute... :o

:D

I'm with Gaijin, that sucks. I thought the PS3 was supposed to be the reliable one this time around.

I'm reckoning based on most accounts that the PS3 failure rate is a still quite a ways behind the 360. But in any case, it still sucks. Like my Wii. It locks up fairly constantly on VC games and especially whenever I try booting up Super Smash Bros(not the norm but Nintendo won't lift a finger...good thing I hardly play it.). Told on the Smash Bros thing that it would be better to get a new console and my Wii's serial number didn't fall into teh range that got the free lens care/repair thing even though it's a launch day system.

Launch day Wii iffy

Launch PS3 60 Still going strong

80GB PS3 Dec 07 still going strong

Family's 360 Dec/07 Elite =RROD in late Jan; replacement unit (that looks really...used) freezes constantly

All my other systems from past generations still going strong except for launch PSX (upside down anyone?) and Green Halo XBox (drive noisy as heck and I traded it in awhile back).

Edited by Gaijin

I'm with Gaijin, that sucks. I thought the PS3 was supposed to be the reliable one this time around.

Going off the percentages, it is.

I'm reckoning based on most accounts that the PS3 failure rate is a still quite a ways behind the 360. But in any case, it still sucks. Like my Wii. It locks up fairly constantly on VC games and especially whenever I try booting up Super Smash Bros(not the norm but Nintendo won't lift a finger...good thing I hardly play it.). Told on the Smash Bros thing that it would be better to get a new console and my Wii's serial number didn't fall into teh range that got the free lens care/repair thing even though it's a launch day system.

Launch day Wii iffy

Launch PS3 60 Still going strong

80GB PS3 Dec 07 still going strong

Family's 360 Dec/07 Elite =RROD in late Jan; replacement unit (that looks really...used) freezes constantly

All my other systems from past generations still going strong except for launch PSX (upside down anyone?) and Green Halo XBox (drive noisy as heck and I traded it in awhile back).

Knock on wood, but I've actually had a lot of luck with consoles. I had to blow on my NES like anyone else, a broken L button and analog stick on my PSP, a cracked hinge on my DS, and a PSX that was defective out of the box, but the only systems that have actually failed after a time were my first PS2 and a Dreamcast. My launch day 360 (knock on oh so much wood) is good, my January 07 Wii was cool with Smash Bros, and my July 07 60GB PS3 is still kicking fine.

Actually, I have had one tiny issue with my PS3. Ever since the last firmware update, my Blu-ray movies are only outputting in stereo. I'm talking movies that have played fine with Dolby True HD or uncompressed audio just fine before, and my receiver liked it just fine before the firmware update. Any ideas?

Knock on wood, but I've actually had a lot of luck with consoles. I had to blow on my NES like anyone else, a broken L button and analog stick on my PSP, a cracked hinge on my DS, and a PSX that was defective out of the box, but the only systems that have actually failed after a time were my first PS2 and a Dreamcast. My launch day 360 (knock on oh so much wood) is good, my January 07 Wii was cool with Smash Bros, and my July 07 60GB PS3 is still kicking fine.

Actually, I have had one tiny issue with my PS3. Ever since the last firmware update, my Blu-ray movies are only outputting in stereo. I'm talking movies that have played fine with Dolby True HD or uncompressed audio just fine before, and my receiver liked it just fine before the firmware update. Any ideas?

DId the firmware reset the audio settings? Might want to check that. MIght be only set to 2Ch now or something.

Well, the Cell isn't exactly a nine-core device, but yeah, it works something like that. Having extra cores doesn't automatically mean more processing power, just the potential for it. Applications need to be written to take advantage of it. This makes the Cell an excellent choice for super computers/cluster computers running complicated mathematics (like the whole Folding@Home thing), but YDL is still a PPC port. Terrasoft may have made some optimizations, like allowing the Cell to render video through an SPE since it can't have access to the RSX video chipset, but at the end of the day YDL isn't going to make the most efficient use of the Cell.

In any case, it's not just about processing power. Processing power will allow the PS3 to crunch the numbers faster, but I think RAM is the big issue here. In PS3 mode, it has 256MB for the game you're running to work with, plus another 256MB dedicated to the RSX for video. For some reason, perhaps in fear that open-source developers will create Linux games for free that will be better than PS3 games or a Linux app that will allow you to pirate PS3 games and run them from the HDD in Linux mode, Sony won't allow a guest OS access to the RSX. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that goes for the VRAM, too. That leaves only 256MB for Linux applications. That slows everything down because the applications have to keep moving, dumping, and moving information in the RAM.

Yeah, the PS3 IS going to be a fast Linux box compared to a P3! 1.0GHz was fast for a P3, but the PS3 is two generations (three next year when Nehalem replaces the Core architecture) behind. But if you're running Linux on modern PC hardware, the PS3 makes for the slower Linux box.

In an age where its becoming cool to be kind of geeky, Linux separates the cool geeks from the nerdy ones.

Wait a minute... :o

:D

Hey, question on running linux on the PS3, have you tried playing back media files and if so, how's the performance? I ask because my NAS does not suspport streaming media ( 1st gen terastation) and while I could hack the terastation box to install a proper OS to allow for media streaming, it's just easier to install yellowdog and use mplayer... but I won't bother if the image/performace isn't up to par.

Hey, question on running linux on the PS3, have you tried playing back media files and if so, how's the performance? I ask because my NAS does not suspport streaming media ( 1st gen terastation) and while I could hack the terastation box to install a proper OS to allow for media streaming, it's just easier to install yellowdog and use mplayer... but I won't bother if the image/performace isn't up to par.

You know, I did compile MPlayer okay but I don't think I've ever tried it. I've been pretty busy studying for the A+ exams (passed the 601, taking the 602 Friday). I'll play with it tonight, see if my settings are screwy, then I'll reboot it into Linux and try watching an episode of Frontier.

You know, I did compile MPlayer okay but I don't think I've ever tried it. I've been pretty busy studying for the A+ exams (passed the 601, taking the 602 Friday). I'll play with it tonight, see if my settings are screwy, then I'll reboot it into Linux and try watching an episode of Frontier.

cool, thanks! Good luck with your A+ exams.

cool, thanks! Good luck with your A+ exams.

Thanks.

Anyway, I can't say I recommend YDL and MPlayer. I tried the AiA mp4 of episode 3 of Macross Frontier, as well as a DivX avi of Scrubs. Both files played without any lag or sound issues, sure, but they opened in a small window. When I set MPlayer to fullscreen, I had a tiny video playing on a huge field of black.

Did the firmware reset the audio settings? Might want to check that. MIght be only set to 2Ch now or something.

I don't think it did anything to the settings. I double checked, and here's what I got:

Under Blu-ray Audio, Optical Digital (which is what I use, since my receiver only does HDMI pass-through), I have it set to Linear PCM.

Under the Settings, then Sound, I have it set to Digital Out (Optical), then for the checked supported audio, I have the following checked:

DTS 5.1

Dolby Digital 5.1

AAC

Linear PCM 41.6KHz

Linear PCM 48KHz

For my test disc, I decided to use Harry Potter and the Whatever-the-New-One-Was, since it has a Dolby Digital track followed by a uncompressed audio track. My receiver reported the same audio as the PS3, but for some reason, was only displaying two channels (even with just two channels, the uncompressed audio was noticeably better). I tried messing with the audio settings on the receiver, but I couldn't find the manual. The only way I could get it to show all the channels was if I set the receiver to Pro Logic II.

Thanks.

Anyway, I can't say I recommend YDL and MPlayer. I tried the AiA mp4 of episode 3 of Macross Frontier, as well as a DivX avi of Scrubs. Both files played without any lag or sound issues, sure, but they opened in a small window. When I set MPlayer to fullscreen, I had a tiny video playing on a huge field of black.

I don't think it did anything to the settings. I double checked, and here's what I got:

Under Blu-ray Audio, Optical Digital (which is what I use, since my receiver only does HDMI pass-through), I have it set to Linear PCM.

Under the Settings, then Sound, I have it set to Digital Out (Optical), then for the checked supported audio, I have the following checked:

DTS 5.1

Dolby Digital 5.1

AAC

Linear PCM 41.6KHz

Linear PCM 48KHz

For my test disc, I decided to use Harry Potter and the Whatever-the-New-One-Was, since it has a Dolby Digital track followed by a uncompressed audio track. My receiver reported the same audio as the PS3, but for some reason, was only displaying two channels (even with just two channels, the uncompressed audio was noticeably better). I tried messing with the audio settings on the receiver, but I couldn't find the manual. The only way I could get it to show all the channels was if I set the receiver to Pro Logic II.

Try setting the BD Audio, Optical to Bitstream. Yeah I know it makes no sense but I was watching Hitch the other night, which is 5.1 uncompressed and DD and both came out as stereo. I was WTF?? Switching BD Audio Optical from Linear PCM to Bitstream fixed that. Really really strange but it worked....especially since I'm using Logitech Z5450 speakers until this summer. I head down to San Diego for SDCC and I'm picking up either the Onkyo 606 or the Yamaha 663, not sure which one yet. After that the speakers get upgraded.

Try setting the BD Audio, Optical to Bitstream. Yeah I know it makes no sense but I was watching Hitch the other night, which is 5.1 uncompressed and DD and both came out as stereo. I was WTF?? Switching BD Audio Optical from Linear PCM to Bitstream fixed that. Really really strange but it worked....especially since I'm using Logitech Z5450 speakers until this summer. I head down to San Diego for SDCC and I'm picking up either the Onkyo 606 or the Yamaha 663, not sure which one yet. After that the speakers get upgraded.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try before I watch my next Blu-ray. I'm not ready to upgrade my receiver yet, since I live in an apartment with paper-thin walls (my neighbors probably don't complain about me because their kids are much louder and more irritating), and I want to build a new desktop computer.

Speaking of computers...

Well, i guess I either buy a dedicated media NAS or build a HT box.

That's what I wound up doing. Depending on what you want out of it, it doesn't have to be expensive, either. I only spend about $350, and the only part I had on hand was a DVD-ROM I pulled from another unit that didn't really need two of them. I used an In-Win case (with 350w PSU), Gigabyte mobo, 500GB Maxtor HDD, Best Buy's store brand flash card reader, a single 2GB stick of RAM (Transcend, maybe? I forget), and a low-watt Celeron Conroe, and a Logitech Easy Call wireless mouse/keyboard combo I got on Clearance. The Gigabyte board has an HDCP certified nForce 630i chipset with integrated gigabit ethernet, GeForce 7150 graphics, HDMI video, and optical digital audio. Honestly, I bought the cheapest processor I could find, so it's not really technically HD ready, but the processor is the only thing holding it back (I'm looking to get an E8400 for the desktop I want to build, but later on when Intel starts releasing Nehalem I was going to replace the motherboard, RAM, and CPU and re-use the Wolfdale in the HTPC). The nForce chipset is fine for an HTPC, and since there's no expansion cards, the whole thing doesn't draw too much power and runs much cooler than my current desktop. And even though it's not really ready for HD, it's played everything I've thrown at it, only stuttering once on one of Menclave's Gundam 00 episodes (but not any of the other 24). My TV's a DLP, but the nForce software has settings to compensate for overscan, so widescreen video played in VLC fills the whole screen. The case hides the DVD drive and flash card reader behind a door, and the front USB and front audio behind a smaller door, so it blends nicely into my home theater without looking like a computer. And the Wii's Virtual Console be damned, but I even installed emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy/GBA, Game Gear/Master System, TG-16, and Sega Saturn. I moved my iTunes library to that computer, and I added a Pinnacle HD Pro Stick USB TV tuner and an external Sony DVD burner that, sitting vertically on the one end, balances the Wii at the other end. It's not the kind of computer I'd use comfortably as my main computer, but I love it for what it is and what it does. In fact, the only complaint I have with it at all is that, maybe because HDMI is sometimes finicky, but if you switch the receiver input away from the HTPC while it's still running, it'll drop the video and won't be able to get it back without rebooting.

The reason for that is because optical doesn't have high enough of a bandwidth to transmit uncompressed audio in 5.1. So instead, it just trasmits the two uncompressed stereo channels. When you switch your optical output to bitstream, you're actually transmitting the 5.1 compressed DTS, not uncompressed 5.1 to your receiver/Logitech setup (which happens to decode DTS natively). The only way to get uncompressed 5.1 is to use an HDMI cable.

I'm thinking of getting a PS3 as it's the best Blu-Ray player out there I hear. I'm wondering about how it does with PS2 games. Does the software emulation work well with the 80gb(they're hard to find) or should I try for a 60gb one. Does anyone have mods for PS2 import/copy play? And the ability to play older games is the only big difference between the models right? I've heard of some tiny differences but other than the Wikipedia article they're harder to find.

Software emulation does something like 92-93% of the games compared to 96% or so for the 60GB. I really doubt you'll notice a difference. Just don't get a 40GB (no BC).

The reason for that is because optical doesn't have high enough of a bandwidth to transmit uncompressed audio in 5.1. So instead, it just trasmits the two uncompressed stereo channels. When you switch your optical output to bitstream, you're actually transmitting the 5.1 compressed DTS, not uncompressed 5.1 to your receiver/Logitech setup (which happens to decode DTS natively). The only way to get uncompressed 5.1 is to use an HDMI cable.

Learn something new everyday. :D

Yes, I had the same problem with my audio having to switch it to bitstream to get the Dolby surround and I had to put in an optical cable to carry the sound. I have a Sony Receiver that I bought that had 2 HDMI ins and 1 out, yet I had to find out from calling into tech support when I bought the PS3 that my receiver just had a passthrough capability....I mean, why have the HDMI connections if it is not going to take the sound out of the HDMI cables and send the picture through the HDMI out to the HDTV? I could not believe it and it kinda ticked me off to no end when I found this out. Why do they do this? seems like it is shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me

Yes, I had the same problem with my audio having to switch it to bitstream to get the Dolby surround and I had to put in an optical cable to carry the sound. I have a Sony Receiver that I bought that had 2 HDMI ins and 1 out, yet I had to find out from calling into tech support when I bought the PS3 that my receiver just had a passthrough capability....I mean, why have the HDMI connections if it is not going to take the sound out of the HDMI cables and send the picture through the HDMI out to the HDTV? I could not believe it and it kinda ticked me off to no end when I found this out. Why do they do this? seems like it is shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me

Sounds like you have the same receiver I do.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but that doesn't explain why Dolby True HD and uncompressed audio tracks were playing fine on all five channels pre-firmware update. It also doesn't explain why I was only getting two channels with the regular Dolby Digital audio track. So I'm still thinking Sony's firmware update messed something up.

Sounds like you have the same receiver I do.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but that doesn't explain why Dolby True HD and uncompressed audio tracks were playing fine on all five channels pre-firmware update. It also doesn't explain why I was only getting two channels with the regular Dolby Digital audio track. So I'm still thinking Sony's firmware update messed something up.

I thought you were using HDMI...as stated, you will only get 2CH through optical if it's set to PCM. You can get 5.1 channel sound through bitstream, but it won't be a true Dolby True HD (even though some people think it is). DO you use the auto settings on the audio when selecting, or do you manually check off what you want?

I can't explain why you seem to be getting 5.1 uncompressed through optical. That should be impossible. Only getting two channels with DD with optical set to linear pcm is expected, as I would think the DD would get decoded to pcm before being sent in stereo through the optical. Could it be that previous to the update, optical was set to use bitstream?

Also, I should clarify-- I'm not sure exactly what happens on the PS3 when you select uncompressed audio on a Blu-Ray and use optical bitstream. I sort of assumed a compressed format got played based on Dangard Ace's observation. Does it send two uncompressed channels anyway? Does it downmix to DD?

In the end, on the PS3, I would expect uncompressed stereo output (assuming the source is also uncompressed) when opitcal is set to linear pcm, and compressed multi-channel output when it's set to bitstream.

Some Burnout news. DLC due in August. Sounds cool to me.

For the first time, we'll let you loose in a Burnout game on motorbikes!

And because we're dedicated to bringing you game-changing new Burnout Paradise content all year, bikes will feature their own game modes, challenges and even some new locations tailored to fit their unique performance and handing characteristics.

The other big news relating to bikes is that we've introduced night-time to Burnout Paradise for the first time.

http://kotaku.com/383194/burnout-paradise-...ral-bad-assness