The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

send the controller in to sony? Seriously? Gods... so not only are PS3 fanboys as rabid as apple fanboys, but now sony itself is taking a page out of the apple playbook?

I don't think its such a big deal. So your out your DS3 for a couple of weeks. Its much better than having to send a whole dead system back to Microsoft. :p

Didn't the release date of the Dual shock get pushed back to May (and in short quantities) because of adding the new dualshock to the new 100gb and 120gb system boxes? If you want one just buy it through playasia...with an easy to find online coupon it comes to $52. and like $6 shipping.

I don't think its such a big deal. So your out your DS3 for a couple of weeks. Its much better than having to send a whole dead system back to Microsoft. :p

yeah... 10% chance of that happening versus 100% chance of having to send in my controller, that's a good point you have there. FUBAR on Microsoft's part, versus designed obsolesence by sony.

But it's okay, so far my PS3 is little more than a glorified blu-ray player so when/if I send in my controller, I can still watch my movies with my non standard bluetooth remote control.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/sixaxis/sony-conf...ment-214221.php

Eh, five screws and a battery swap apparently or send in your controller for a swap. I can do either so I'm not bothered but it'd been easier if there was a battery cover. Stupid Sony design.

yeah... 10% chance of that happening versus 100% chance of having to send in my controller, that's a good point you have there. FUBAR on Microsoft's part, versus designed obsolesence by sony.

Aren't you being a little generous with the 10% failure rate? At the peak of the RROD uproar it was ~30% from all sources not Microsoft and currently within the last few days the latest reports say failure rates are still possibly upwards of 16%.

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/855/855...mp;RSSid=855113

http://squaretradebuyerblog.typepad.com/sq...fail-rates.html

http://kotaku.com/gaming/sixaxis/sony-conf...ment-214221.php

Eh, five screws and a battery swap apparently or send in your controller for a swap. I can do either so I'm not bothered but it'd been easier if there was a battery cover. Stupid Sony design.

Aren't you being a little generous with the 10% failure rate? At the peak of the RROD uproar it was ~30% from all sources not Microsoft and currently within the last few days the latest reports say failure rates are still possibly upwards of 16%.

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/855/855...mp;RSSid=855113

http://squaretradebuyerblog.typepad.com/sq...fail-rates.html

meh, millions of units sold and they think 1040 units is a good sample? Anyways, even from the squaretrade report, it was a 16% for all problems and roughly 10% for PROD.

and yeah, 5 screws, versus pushing a little button and popping the battery pack out and popping in a new one.

meh, millions of units sold and they think 1040 units is a good sample? Anyways, even from the squaretrade report, it was a 16% for all problems and roughly 10% for PROD.

B)) Not going to get into it regarding definition of failure rates. This ain't a gaming site and this ain't the Xbox thread. :p

Now back to the regular PS3 news.

B)) Not going to get into it regarding definition of failure rates. This ain't a gaming site and this ain't the Xbox thread. :p

Now back to the regular PS3 news.

well, I wasn't the one who dragged the 360 into this conversation. I was just bitching that sony seems to be adopting more than just apple's bloated sense of superiority.

You've been pissing on this thread for at least two pages. We get it, Abe Lincoln, you like the 360. Let's move on. :D </good natured teasing>

Edited by Uxi

Yeah, but the 360 and the Wii both come with the controller you want. They don't give you a crappy controller and then give you the good one a year and a half later. As for player twos, I got a wired 360 controller and the Wiimote that comes with Wii Play, no nunchuck. And considering how cheap the SIXAXIS feels for $50, $40 for the Logitech Cordless Precision seemed like a steal.

Semi-related note, the battery that came with my Play N' Charge kit wasn't really holding its charge anymore, so I bought a new one shortly after I bought Mass Effect. What happens when the SIXAXIS or Dual Shock 3 stops holding its charge? Do they make replacements, and do you have to pry apart your whole controller? Or does Sony expect you to buy a new controller every two years?

You mentioned a controller's price, not about pack in stuff. And while I agree somewhat with that statement, it will soon be moot as DS's will soon become the pack in. Besides, it's not as if Sony was hoarding the DS3 all these years...they couldn't do jack about it until that stupid lawsuit was over (which I will agree they shouldn't have fought and tried to settle out of court for significantly less than Immersion wanted. ).

Replacement battery instructions are actually in the manual. Sorta like when the Gameboy Advance SP came out...Everyone whined about a rechargable battery , but it was serviceable with a screw. I would hope Sony begins to sell controller batteries instead of forking out for new controllers.

Going back to the price...we are in the age of expensive add ons...360 HDD's, DS3's(for early adopters I suppose), and Wii Remotes that sell you a separate nunchuck (which many games require) for $60 total. 360 controller is only $50 but many people buy play and charge kits and that shoots it up. We don't like it but we don't have much choice. At least with the PS3 and 360, there ARE alternatives out there.

And now ack to the thread

well, I wasn't the one who dragged the 360 into this conversation. I was just bitching that sony seems to be adopting more than just apple's bloated sense of superiority.

No, but you made a snarky comment against both Sony and Apple at the same time.

That, and a quick look at all your posts in the 360 thread, and its not hard to see where you're loyalties lie.

It seems like many of your posts here are simply to debase Sony and the PS3 for no constructive reason.

A really terrible update at the PSN this week. If RockBand or Guitar Hero were not around I wonder what would be up there.. <_<

Add-on Game Content

PAIN: Scurv Dogg Character ($0.99)

Straight from the South Central Seas, Scurv Dogg, the latest addition to the PAIN posse, can spice up your game with some scurvy flair and the horrible manners of a seasoned seadog. Armed with only a bad hat and a bad attitude, this bitter downloadable pirate has the attitude for PAIN - he hates everything - including your skills if you don’t have game. Bring it.

File size: 8.78 MB

Rock Band

Build your Rock Band library by purchasing these song game tracks. Nine Inch Nails Track Pack 1 includes all three songs. For song credits, visit www.RockBand.com.

* “March of the Pigs” - Nine Inch Nails ($1.99)

* “The Collector- Nine Inch Nails ($1.99)

* “The Perfect Drug” – Nine Inch Nails ($1.99)

* Nine Inch Nails Track Pack 1 ($5.49)

File sizes: 17.8 MB - 36.1 MB (singles), 74.4 MB (Track Pack).

If you previously purchased any of the following Rock Band tracks, newer versions are now available. Visit the PLAYSTATION Store and re-download them from your Download List free of charge. Online play/leaderboards/ranking are not affected by this. You won’t be punished for not downloading them again, however, as these bug fixes have no effect on gameplay.

Title/Launch Date

* “Can’t Stand Losing You” - Nov. 22

* “Roxanne” - Nov. 22

* “Synchronicity II” - Nov. 22

* “Police Pack 01” - Nov. 22

* “Brass in Pocket” - Dec. 20

* “Limelight” - Jan. 3

GUITAR HERO III: No Doubt Track Pack ($6.25)

“Don’t Speak”, “Excuse Me Mr”, “Sunday Morning” as performed by No Doubt. For all song credits please visit www.redoctane.com

File size: 49 MB

Game Videos

MLB 08 The Show My MLB Music Video

Get an inside first look here at the new soundtrack editor My MLB Music, one of the new features to MLB 08 The Show. Nothing Gets You Closer

File size: 43 MB (HD)

MLB 08 The Show Blog Video (free)

Have a look at the first blog video posted to the PlayStation.Blog for MLB 08 The Show. Nothing Gets You Closer.

File size: 39 MB (HD)

NBA 08 Amare Stoudemire Bio

Go Beyond Access and take a look inside the NBA 08 cover athlete, Amare Stoudemire. Get insights into his drive, his philosophy, his goals and his commitment to the sport of basketball. NBA 08: Nothing Gets You Closer.

File size: 247 MB (HD)

Condemned 2: Bloodshot Trailer 1 (free)

The first official trailer released by SEGA that shows off all of the bone-crushing action and psychological thrills that Condemned 2: Bloodshot has to offer.

File size: 125 MB (HD)

Lost Planet Trailer 2 (free)

This is a trailer showing off the single player campaign of the incredible action shooting game LOST PLANET.

File size: 150 MB (HD)

Movie and Blu-ray Disc Trailers

Star Trek Teaser Trailer (free)

From director J.J. Abrams and screenwriters Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman comes a new vision of the greatest space adventure of all time, “Star Trek,” featuring a young, new crew venturing boldly where no man has gone before.

File size: 13 MB (SD), 47 MB (HD), 63 MB (1080)

PS3 Themes

PAIN: Scurv Dogg Theme (free)

Customize your PS3 system with a cool PAIN: Scurv Dogg theme. This theme allows you to change up the look of your background and XMB icons.

File size: 1.89 MB

PS3 Wallpaper

(4) Rocketmen: Axis of Evil Wallpapers (free)

Customize the background of your PS3 system with this new Rocketmen: Axis of Evil Wallpaper.

File size: 729-844 KB

Here is this week’s content release for the PLAYSTATION Store for PC. To download these games to your PSP, navigate to http://store.playstation.com. There, you’ll find descriptions of the content and directions on how to get started. For more on the PLAYSTATION Store for PC, please click here.

Game Videos (free)

*Patapon Trailer

*Secret Agent Clank Trailer

Hope you enjoy!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

No, but you made a snarky comment against both Sony and Apple at the same time.

That, and a quick look at all your posts in the 360 thread, and its not hard to see where you're loyalties lie.

It seems like many of your posts here are simply to debase Sony and the PS3 for no constructive reason.

so if I think that sony makes a bonheaded move, I can't post an opinion on that? Where's the same treatment for the PS3 fanboys who pop in the 360 thread to do nothing other than say, "oh but the 360 will PROD"?

so if I think that sony makes a bonheaded move, I can't post an opinion on that? Where's the same treatment for the PS3 fanboys who pop in the 360 thread to do nothing other than say, "oh but the 360 will PROD"?

But even 360 only fans will say that. It's as certain as death and taxes. :wacko:

Edited by Gaijin

If that were the case, it wouldn't be so bad. But it seems like everything Sony does is a boneheaded move to you, and I began to sense a pattern a while ago.

When you talk about games, it seems like you truly join the discussion. But once Sony the company or the PS3 itself comes up, you attitude becomes very negative. Its like your the rabid Sony Anti-fanboy.

As for your comment about PS3 fanboys popping in to the 360 thread... Just take the higher ground, man. Take the higher ground. Call out the PS3 fanboys who hit the 360 thread, but don't "retaliate" by coming to the PS3 thread and debasing Sony and PS3 to get back at them.

p.s.- I have no idea what PROD mean, must be something that happens to that crappy Xbox360 system... :p

But even 360 only fans will say that. It's as certain as death and taxes. :wacko:

That's true, but he's still got a bit of a point. Looking over the last two or three pages of this thread, a few of them were basically "Look at all the 360's RRoDing in the wild!"

Maybe I'm an anomaly here, but I own a PS3, a 360, and a Wii, right? So I visit all three threads to talk about what kinds of games and news are relevant to each system. And we gripe enough about the 360's hardware problems in the 360 thread (and I apologize to Engadget, Kotaku, and anyone else who ran stories about the 360 RRoDing at GDC, but its not news when a console with known heat issues fails when stuffed into an enclosed plastic bubble and left running all day, regardless of where it was when it failed). The report about the 360's failure rates? News in the 360 thread, fanboyish gloating in the PS3 thread.

There's a lot going on in PS3ville. MGS4, which admittedly has its own thread. Kotaku was reporting on a possible Heavenly Sword sequel. I haven't picked it up yet, but I hear that the PSP God of War has a teaser ad for God of War 3. There was a ton of Home news at GDC. I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I just recently finished Ratchet & Clank and wouldn't mind talking about how great that game was.

There are pros and cons to both systems, and I'll even grant you that with 90% of the games coming out hitting both consoles a fear of the RRoD could be a legitimate reason to stick with the PS3. But if that's the best thing you can think of to say about the PS3, well, the N-Gage didn't RRoD either.

Anyone else buy a PS3 and not get their "FREE" Blue Ray DVDs?

How long ago did you buy your PS3? I bought mine in July, and didn't get the Blu-rays until November. My results might not be typical; a lot of people on this very site have claimed a turnaround time of only a few weeks.

Even if there's some issue, they'll usually send your submission back with a note on why they sent it back. Happened to be with the free HD-DVD offer.

I got mine in under 4 weeks door to door. One of my people in my office got his in around six, and that was from the "Second Offer" that had different movies.

I could have sworn we posted the phone numbers to call in and check status of your orders either in this thread or the High Def thread. If your "order" goes more than five weeks I'd call the punks and ask what's up.

I bought my PS3 in October. Best Buy customer service connected me with Sony and surprise no record of the request.

Sony asked for ten days and then they will get back to me.

Looks like I was too patient before I went sniffing about. :angry:

Who would believe that I was being patient. :wacko:

I bought my PS3 in October. Best Buy customer service connected me with Sony and surprise no record of the request.

Sony asked for ten days and then they will get back to me.

Looks like I was too patient before I went sniffing about. :angry:

Who would believe that I was being patient. :wacko:

10 days...is this a WMB search...it shouldn't take them more than a day. The big problem is, that sony isn't running it...its actually disney. Not only is it disney but disney is outsourcing it which makes it incredibly hard to get any information without waiting hours...and I mean hours to get somebody. When I called on mine (Bought PS3 in OCt07 got BRDvd's 8weeks later) I was on hold for 4 hours before they picked up and then said they were outsourcing it and try a new number. Then it took another week before I could actually get through to them.

Worse yet...they are running out of movies. For instance if you ordered the Italian Job expect to get Happy Feet. There was another movie that was like that too. I can't remember though since I took most of them back to Walmart, Best Buy, Kmart...whoever would accept them to exchange them for good movies.

Good luck.

10 days...is this a WMB search...it shouldn't take them more than a day. The big problem is, that sony isn't running it...its actually disney. Not only is it disney but disney is outsourcing it which makes it incredibly hard to get any information without waiting hours...and I mean hours to get somebody. When I called on mine (Bought PS3 in OCt07 got BRDvd's 8weeks later) I was on hold for 4 hours before they picked up and then said they were outsourcing it and try a new number. Then it took another week before I could actually get through to them.

Worse yet...they are running out of movies. For instance if you ordered the Italian Job expect to get Happy Feet. There was another movie that was like that too. I can't remember though since I took most of them back to Walmart, Best Buy, Kmart...whoever would accept them to exchange them for good movies.

Good luck.

You can take them back to those places without a receipt?

You can take them back to those places without a receipt?

Yep...just be exceedingly nice to the customer service person and say it was a birthday or graduation present and you don't have a receipt. they can sell it to someone else so they might as well make you happy and get you the movies you actually want...its better for their business...unless you got a total lemon of a movie.

Because they want to sell to the star wars collector market, who will likely purchase both regardless of whether they own either system.

And that's what makes it instant doubly lame. ^_^