The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

Since you are fond of this one :rolleyes:

And since we are now discussing the 360 in the PS3 thread, They could extend the warranty to lifetime and it still wouldn't make up for the fact that they built a wholely defective system and sold it to the public. It is a fact that nearly all 360's built prior to the Halo 3 edition will fail. Yes there was a problem with some early PS2's but it wasn't nearly the entire crop like the 360 POS that is I still have both a first gen PS2 and PS2 japan that work as good as the dayI bought them within a month of their respective releases.

And if we want to keep comparing apples to oranges like a 360 - ps2 comparison, which is the better system, the PS2 is clearly a better game system than the 360, graphics upgrade aside (apples and Oranges and bacon oh my!), in terms of failure rate, game library, game quality, etc, etc. Look No one with a brain who has put any thought into it should have difficulty understanding the current video game market force issues. Microsoft hit the market with the HD game system first, Microsoft writes the operating system used on most computers in the US and probably the world, it is in the developers interest to keep costs low so they are going to aim for the system that has the most consoles on the market and is least expesive to customize games for. that equates to a microsoft victory in this round of the console wars. The PS3 has catching up to do and likely will not (we get it).

However, this doesn't change the fact that the more behemoth mega-coorporations that enter and dominate in the games market, the worse it is for us the consumers. More mergers of game developers, more exclusives owned by giant companies, less competition, less innovation, more sucky video game movie franchise crap games with big names. We can only hope that game developers like Square-Enix and whoever makes the dumb sports games not (EA owns everything right) have the sense to keep developing games exclusive to all the other machines to make sure that they have a market and not a monopoly to deal with in the future of game consoles. Remember Nintendo and Sony's insance Licensing approval procedures of days gone by. Well if MS runs off the competition you can believe that licensinc fees will skyrocket to cover and profit from their console price sales of days gone by.

I wasn't happy when Sony came into the market and helped push Sega out of the console market, I am extremely not happy that Microsoft is trying to do the same thing but has way more money than Sony did to further screw up the video game world. On top of the fact that they released a total crap box in the 360 that is prone to self destruction, that they don't cater to the gamer niches that I inhabit for crap, they are just bad joojoo for the video game market as a whole in my opinion.

Back on topic, I still love my PS3, I just got Time Crisis 4 and the new Guncon works much better than I had expected with my plasma screen TV. I think namco-bandai could have done a better job making the LED sensors less gaudy but I am happy with the game itself, I hope we get some more gun games they are one of my favoraite little niches in video games.

yeah, got it, MS is the devil... MS kills competition...

Look, nintendo didn't "push" atari out of the market, and sony didn't "push" sega out of the market... these companies went down because they made crap games and crap decisions. They took their audience for granted and they paid the price. Nintendo learned and went back to focusing on games. All you brand X fanboys need to stop with this childish huddling around your favorite console as if they can do no wrong.

Sony is just as guilty of trying to create a closed loop system as MS or apple. And for all the ill you people think MS has done, they created a platform which is easy to develop and publish for.

After denying that it was design problem, claiming that it was isolated incidents, after internet sources started reporting on failures, then finally after mainstream media started reporting in on the upwards of 30% failures did Microsoft institute the 3yr RRoD policy. They did the exact same thing Sony did with the DRE's only they caught it before the class-action lawsuits started flying. It was a great PR move.

I'm not denying that it was a huge mistake on Microsoft's part to shovel technically defective products out to stores. It was also a mistake to deny there was a problem. But at least they're owning up to it and fixing it now. It's not the exact same thing Sony did... after the lawsuit, Sony only agreed to fix consoles manufactured between certain dates, and to this day Sony maintains that there was nothing wrong with them.

I still have both a first gen PS2 and PS2 japan that work as good as the dayI bought them within a month of their respective releases.

Good for you. I still have a launch day 360. I'm on my second PS2, though. Without any numbers, we can only guess whether the RRoD or DRE is the champion. It might seem like RRoD, but that could be because it gets more current press (and because of idiots like my one friend who just got a 360 and tried to cram it into his entertainment center flush vertically with the wood divider between its shelf and the TV flush with one side and his stereo flush with the other... probably the only way to overheat it faster would be to stick it in the oven).

the PS2 is clearly a better game system than the 360, graphics upgrade aside (apples and Oranges and bacon oh my!), in terms of failure rate, game library, game quality, etc, etc.

Library? If you mean size, sure... the 360's just turning two, and the PS2 is seven. It's got five years of games on the 360. But quality? That's highly subjective, not to mention the fact that a lot of PS2 games have or will have sequels on the 360, including Katamari Damacy, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, and Grand Theft Auto. What's missing? MGS and God of War, the reasons why I bought a PS3. Oh, and JRPGs (most of which, including Final Fantasy, I can't stand, and it's not like we're seeing a glut of those on the PS3).

I'm on my second PS2, though.

I'm on my third PS2, My first one's laser broke down, it lasted 7 months. My second one which was a replacement also broke down because of the laser, it lasted for a year. I found out that some of the early models had this defect, Sony denied it, but eventually admited it, just like MS with the 360. I hope my PS3 lasts longer. My third PS2 is the new small version.

Good for you. I still have a launch day 360. I'm on my second PS2, though. Without any numbers, we can only guess whether the RRoD or DRE is the champion. It might seem like RRoD, but that could be because it gets more current press (and because of idiots like my one friend who just got a 360 and tried to cram it into his entertainment center flush vertically with the wood divider between its shelf and the TV flush with one side and his stereo flush with the other... probably the only way to overheat it faster would be to stick it in the oven).

Be careful not to Jinx yourself.

My 360 was a launch system that RROD shortly after I posted that "My launch system still works".

What pissed me off is the replacement that Microsoft sent out RROD right out of the box

They would not fix mine and sent out one that did not work and was dirty. Their answer was that they got three tries to fit it. Well it was not the original system that was sent in, replacement is a rebuild with an unknown history so how can they justify three tries,I was without a functioning system for almost two months. Went up and down the management of their customer service and repair. All I wanted was my system repaired and returned or a new system.

A new system was not a stretch since an editor of a computer magazine had a 360 RROD and he had a new system in three days from his Microsoft Rep.

Why should accept reconditioned junk as a general consumer but people that work in the industry get better treatment.

I am very happy to give Sony my entertainment money and hope that Microsoft continues to loss money.

Also the PS3 plays the PS2 version of Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb.

X360 cannot play the Xbox version of Indiana Jones. So that should be the last nail in my Microsoft coffin.

I hope that your X360 continues to function and you never have to deal with Customer Service.

.. probably the only way to overheat it faster would be to stick it in the oven).

LOL :) Good one.

Eugimon, I think there is a pretty strong arguement to be made that Sony and the PS2 were the straw that broke the camel's back for Sega, the Dreamcast was a fantastic system, I think it is fair to say it was far superiod to the gamecube, but the consumers didn't support the Sega product. This is all way off topic and totally irrelevant at this point in history I didn't point the finger solely at Microsoft up there, like I said, I was a Sony H8ter back when it was cool to hex on them as the big kid on the block too, but they proved with both the PS1 and the PS2 that they could deliver the type of games that I liked over and over, so they earned some brand loyalty with me, I honestly believe that for all of its other functions, the PS3 is worth it's price even with an admittedly lackluster video game lineup thus far. But that being said we are only a year in and new systems always have a tough first year while developers are catching up with the new system architecture.

As time goes one the comparisons of game library and system performance will be more "fair". For now a lot of this is just bickering.

Anyone else playing Time Crisis 4? Do the FPS mode controls feel really weird to anyone else? I forever find myself forgetting to aim the gun and trying to move the targetting reticle with the "mouselook" analog for just a second...

Oh, I think the Ps3 is worth it as well. I think it's a terrific value for the money. I'm just tired of the arguement that MS is this evil mega corp and that if the 360 wins this generation, that somehow gamers and the industry will suffer for it. Fact is, sony has done a lot to squash small time publishers while MS has supported them with Live Arcade and cheaper development kits. Has MS done some shaddy things in their own interest? Sure, but I think the 360 gets a lot of flak it doesn't deserve.

dreamcast came along after the disapointing genesis and dreamcast had supply issues. Sega may have made a great console but they dropped the ball with it.

Edited by eugimon

I don't like the Microsoft culture that comes with Xbox. Most of the fans are pretty much like the dick jocks in highschool. The MS campus is very much like that.

What MS is doing in with the HD format war and thier screw up with Vista is making me very anti-MS.

I have a close friend who works for them who owns a Mac. So he can't be all bad. :)

this thread is starting to de- rail. The PS3 had a shaky first year but is starting to make a comeback. Bottom line us it's not going to go away and while it's in 3rd in the US now, it doesn't mean it's the end. Look at the first year of 360 sales and look at the ps3's first year. The numbers after a year for each are remarkably close. Only the wii outsold both on the first year(and will probably slow in 2008 as the 360 and ps3 further drop in price).

Christ. Playstation fanboy? 'Love macrossworld, but as soon as you aren't talking sh-t about something you're branded a "fanboy" and have a false persona slapped on you by all the know-it-alls. Give me a break, please. I just like video games, I'm not here to try and prove that I'm cooler than the rest of you with boring drawn out psuedo-intellectual market-talk. I used to own an Xbox 360 - I owned one game, rarely played it, and it redringed after about 4 months and Microsoft made me pay for the shipping to get it repaired. That's why I bought a Ps3. I only own three games for my Ps3 now, Resistance, Ratchet (still in celophane) and now Uncharted. I don't have a "high end" computer and you can call me your little names for saying what it is (Nvidia 680se m/board, dual core processor, 3 gigs DDR2 ram, evga Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb, Vista 64bit) but I play more games on my computer than on the playstation. After playing Crysis on my PC with the resolutions tweaked to the best I could get, and after trying it with all the settings maxed just to see what it looked like, - yeah I think the Ps3 could handle that game. F--king A', if I'm wrong then f--k me I'm sorry. I have Unreal T3 for my PC and can and do play it with all the graphics settings maxed. I like it fast paced, I never said the -what is going to be COMPLETELY different- gameplay for the ps3 is superior, dickhead, I just said I was looking forward to seeing the difference. I swear to gawd, some people.

"You're only cool if you bought a Ps3 for it to be a blu-ray player, waaaaa, waaaaa" Grow up. The act of being a snob doesn't make you better than anyone else, it just makes you a snob.

"You're only cool if you bought a Ps3 for it to be a blu-ray player, waaaaa, waaaaa" Grow up. The act of being a snob doesn't make you better than anyone else, it just makes you a snob.

Actually for the longest time, and in many cases still, the PS3 is the premier Blu Ray player value on the market. To call someone a "snob" for purchasing it simply for the Blu Ray player function is a tad narrow, don't you think?

And this is me being a mod here guys... please... tone it down. The next "dickhead" crack I read gets someone a time out. Personal insults are not really SOP here guys so let's rise above the fray... Debate the issues, not the person posting. If you can't argue your point without bashing the person you are arguing with please just don't post. It's not that the mods don't want debate, we don't want name calling and fights.

I kept hearing people saying how ps3 is so expensive as 500 bucks, and getting xbox360.

As I look at it, for xbox360 to be comparable with ps3, it needs the $450 elite system + $180 HD-DVD addon + $100 wifi adapter + $30 card reader.

How is it a better deal? I just installed a 250g hard drive in my ps3, and it only took $120 and 5 minutes, not going to happen with MS.

I got my xbox360 with Halo3, it has hdmi but I couldn't get any sound and I prefer digital audio anyway. And MS purposely make it you cannot use hdmi and digital audio output together unless you also get the $50 hdmi cable from them.. which is not expensive for hdmi cable with digital audio interface but it still suck. :angry:

anyone else has the fragFX control from http://www.splitfish.com/ ? I kinda like it but take a little getting use to, or might be is my year old ps3.

p.s. my ver.6 ps2 is still kicking.

Burnout Paradise demo...is disappointing..(as of now) they turned it into a GTA/Tony Hawk free roam system..yuck..And you have to listen to some FM radio douchebag while driving around looking for your mission. I just wanna race. Is that too much to ask? It does rumble if you have the Dual Shock 3.

I kept hearing people saying how ps3 is so expensive as 500 bucks, and getting xbox360.

As I look at it, for xbox360 to be comparable with ps3, it needs the $450 elite system + $180 HD-DVD addon + $100 wifi adapter + $30 card reader.

How is it a better deal? I just installed a 250g hard drive in my ps3, and it only took $120 and 5 minutes, not going to happen with MS.

I got my xbox360 with Halo3, it has hdmi but I couldn't get any sound and I prefer digital audio anyway. And MS purposely make it you cannot use hdmi and digital audio output together unless you also get the $50 hdmi cable from them.. which is not expensive for hdmi cable with digital audio interface but it still suck. :angry:

anyone else has the fragFX control from http://www.splitfish.com/ ? I kinda like it but take a little getting use to, or might be is my year old ps3.

p.s. my ver.6 ps2 is still kicking.

Because, from a gamer's perspective, you don't need any of that crap. Until this summer, it's really been a simple $400 vs. $600 for a box that plays video games. Card reader? Haven't used the one that came with the PS3. Wi-fi? Flaky on my PS3, and content to use a wired connection for both. HD-DVD add-on? Not necessary for Gears of War. People who were looking for an solid Blu-ray player might have found $600 to be a bargain, but a lot of gamers would have been happier with a cheaper PS3 and games on DVDs.

As for upgrading the PS3's hard drive, I applaud Sony for using standard parts and making it a simple procedure. Too bad I don't really have a reason to upgrade. I installed Linux on my PS3, and I still figure I've got plenty of room. With Xbox games on the XBLM, I can certainly see why more hard drive space would be better for the 360, but I've still got 11.9GB free on my original 20GB hard drive.

Finally, I'd be more pissed about having to buy a Microsoft-specific HDMI cable if HDMI was absolutely necessary. But component video is still HD video, and at least Microsoft put a component cable in the box. Which reminds me, don't forget to add the cost of at least a component cable when comparing the value of a 360 vs. a PS3.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, with the regular Xbox 360 at $350 and the 40GB PS3 at $400, the PS3 is finally priced competitively with the 360, so price isn't really a big issue anymore. But the game library is. Most of the games out there are for both consoles, and while we've actually been getting some good PS3 exclusives lately, I think the 360's exclusives have been a little bit better.

Remove the gray casing from the A/V casing, it's just filler. Once you've removed it you'll have enough room to plug in your HDMI cable along with the A/V plug with its optical output.

Downloading the Burnout demo now. Hopefully I'll have a better impression d3j8.

I have a 160GB drive in my originally 60GB PS3. I have about 50GB of mp3s and have a linux install, as well. Neat little device but won't really but unlocked if and until people start getting into the currently protected areas of the hardware (graphics accel, etc).

Downloading the Burnout demo now. Hopefully I'll have a better impression d3j8.

I have a 160GB drive in my originally 60GB PS3. I have about 50GB of mp3s and have a linux install, as well. Neat little device but won't really but unlocked if and until people start getting into the currently protected areas of the hardware (graphics accel, etc).

Why put mp3's on the PS3 when it can read them from your laptop/desktop computer? I recently got a used 60 gig PS3 and Love it! only game i own is uncharted, and even though i'm not sure about the free roam on burnout I thought it was fun and the online was cool too.

I have used Twonky and TVersity to stream FLAC as well. I already had the 160GB in there. I don't listen to a whole bunch of it, since I'm increasingly an audiophile, but that's what was on my iPod and it was an extremely easy transfer.

Downloaded and played the uncharted demo, nice graphics, has a indiana jones feel to it, but i must be very crap as i found it quite hard to play.

Edited by kung flu

Downloaded and played the uncharted demo, nice graphics, has a indiana jones feel to it, but i must be very crap as i found it quite hard to play.

I started a new game on hard mode, and I've played into it for about an hour and a half, and I think it's actually kinda' sorta' easy. B))

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3-firmware-upda...rrow-334706.php

PS3 DivX, Blu-Ray 1.1, Voice Changing With 2.10 Tomorrow

Over on the UK PlayStation site they've laid out the details on firmware 2.10, which should be releasing tomorrow according to the date listed with the article. Among the interesting new features is a voice changer, with the power to make you sound like a person using a voice changer with five presets over hi and low tones. Other features include a new music bitmapping process specifically designed for the PS3 to provide enhanced audio playback, support for Blu-ray disc profile 1.1 for picture-in-picture goodness, and the long-awaited support for DivX and WMV playback. DivX playback is limited to non-copyrighted material under 2GB, and DivX 3.11 and earlier encoding is not supported. Unfortunately XviD is still not supported, which means that people with a large number of anime fansubs (not naming any names here) will have to stick to computer viewing for the time being. *sigh*

Some XViD appears to work... up to the first 2GB that is...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=956907

I put some fansubbed anime in, they didn't work for me. The DivX encoded stuff showed up and played fine, but the Xvid encoded stuff showed up as "Unsupported Data."

I put some fansubbed anime in, they didn't work for me. The DivX encoded stuff showed up and played fine, but the Xvid encoded stuff showed up as "Unsupported Data."

It also depends on the group that did the encoding. So the xvid files that you put in the ps3 didn't work, but many others xvid files work. so Some Xvid files does work.

Perhaps they will improve that in the next update.

anyways, here's some HOt NEWS.

You can now play your PSn downloadable titles via remote play. You can also play your PS1 discs via remote play!!

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...ding&page=1

I never latched on to the concept of remote play, help a brotha out here. Is the concept that you can play your PS1 or PSN games on the PSP if you are at a hotspot and have the game active in the PS3?

I know I need to RTFM, but I just have never bothered to see what that feature is.