The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

Then why buy the 80G, just get the 40G/60G put $120 or so for a 160G drive. Do their marketing people think consumers are that dump?

60 is discontinued and the 40 lacks PS2 backwards compatibility. I have a 160G in my (formerly) 60GB. You buy the 80 if want a game and PS2 compatibility.

Edited by Uxi

The majority of consumers are highly ignorant. The only sensible option is the 60G version that features backward compatability. The 40G is too stripped down and the 80G isn't backwards compatible with a meager 20 extra G's of HD space...
Much mo

The 80 is compatible with quite a few PS2 games. More than most people think.

PoweredByFlo said he saw you. Maybe we'll get Trav on at the same time and we can try some coordination. I have some ideas... I'll PM you. Do you have your headset synched up? :)

All synced up and ready to go....but I warn you now I'm not used to the control setup yet. I've only played the game for a max 35 mins. 5mins when I bought the game to make sure it worked and there was no problems with connecting wirelessly. 30 mins last night through some free for all and CTF.

60 is discontinued and the 40 lacks PS2 backwards compatibility. I have a 160G in my (formerly) 60GB. You buy the 80 if want a game and PS2 compatibility.

I've got a 250GB HD in my 60GB. I'm just waiting for them to introduce/release that record tv show gadget/feature.

What Sony needs to do is get Konami to release a playable Metal Gear demo, it'd be the perfect holiday system seller.

No can do on that. Too bad since I'd probably never buy it..

No demo at all, not even as we get closer to the release date? Plans are subject to change, but right now Konami's official word is no. As you cry your bitter tears, you may find some comfort in reading our hands-on preview. Or it may put you in a spiral of depression.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163771

While I have to agree with Keith that MGS1 and 2 helped boost sales of their respective systems, I doubt that packaging a demo with a system will be very beneficial.

The BIGGEST problem with PS3 right now is the delay in games that people want. So many games keep getting pushed back that most of the "must-haves" aren't even going to be out until 2008, well after the launch of the system.

Most launch games have been big and stuff, but PS-loyalists don't care too much about new wannabe franchises, they want to see how the classics are going to play/look/feel on the new powerful system. And, as menioned above, the classic franchises are taking way too long to get here.

Has any one tried out if the PS3 is really region free? I've been reading a lot of letters in PS magazines of people having trouble playing PS3 games from other regions.

Man. My ps3 has been collecting dust ever since I beat heavenly sword. I sold all my games except for two of'em, and I'm waiting for something good to come out. Every title I want is so far off that my ps3 has become nothing but a blu-ray player. Until 2008 I guess. But it's a nice blu-ray player though.

Has any one tried out if the PS3 is really region free? I've been reading a lot of letters in PS magazines of people having trouble playing PS3 games from other regions.

I thought that the PS3 is technically region-free, but that developers were still able to implement region coding onto their discs thereby controlling which games will play based on which region the unit retailed in.

As long as it'll play Japanese games, I could give less of a crap about other regiosn (aside from the U.S.)

Yeah, thats what i want region free for, to play games from Japan and USA, since we don't always get they same games in the UK. I got my previous Playstatons 1 & 2 chipped for this particular reason, but if there was a mod for the PS3 I would prefer not to risk it getting it modded. Sony and other companies are against modding because it lets you play pirate games but you never hear about the people who want to use it for import games, which I see nothing wrong in that since they are not pirated.

Yeah, thats what i want region free for, to play games from Japan and USA, since we don't always get they same games in the UK. I got my previous Playstatons 1 & 2 chipped for this particular reason, but if there was a mod for the PS3 I would prefer not to risk it getting it modded. Sony and other companies are against modding because it lets you play pirate games but you never hear about the people who want to use it for import games, which I see nothing wrong in that since they are not pirated.

I thought it isn't region free, just has the same region as Japan. Someone said that in this topic long time ago?

Try Asia version Gundam warrior and works fine, don't have any foreign BD to try.

The PS3 is a Blu Ray player at it's core and Blu Ray is coded into three regions, of which the US and Japan share R1 now. The UK however is still in R2 so as far as I know the US/JAP R1 Blu Ray movies will not play on UK R2 consoles, I would assume that that crosses over to games as well?

Nah the games are what the White Drew Carey said consoles are supposed to be region free for games except that region restriction are left up to the software devs. BD regions were IIRC, NA/SA and Japan R1, China and middle east -R3, everything else R2.

Here is the challange. Someone with a PS3 purchased in the US please try Macross VF2.

It is the only Japanese PS game that I have and with my 360 in the trash thinking about jumping over to a playstation.

If PS3 can play Japanese Macross games I will be at BestBuy before the sunsets.

Thanks!!!!!!

Heads Up.

If you bought a PS3 60GB from circiut city (or anywhere for that matter) and are disappointed with the reduced price of the 80 GB, mention it to a manager.

My local circuit city has offered a free game since technically I could have brought back the 60GB to exchange for an 80GB...not that I would want to but I did mention it. I haven't been there to pick it up though yet. Will probably get ratchet and clank.

Its not much different from the whole Iphone thing where the early adoptors got screwed.

Here is the challange. Someone with a PS3 purchased in the US please try Macross VF2.

It is the only Japanese PS game that I have and with my 360 in the trash thinking about jumping over to a playstation.

Thanks!!!!!!

Unfortunatley, the PS3 is only region free in relation to PS3 games. PS1 and PS2 games are still region restricted (I have personally verified this with VFX2 and SDFM).

I'm hoping Sony will eventually change this in a future firmware update.

Unfortunatley, the PS3 is only region free in relation to PS3 games. PS1 and PS2 games are still region restricted (I have personally verified this with VFX2 and SDFM).

Thanks for being the test pilot.

I have seen those little "bits" that click into the PS2 to make the Japanese games work but guess those do not exist for the PS3.

Thanks!!!!!!

PS1 and PS2 games are still restricted by the original region coding.

Here's the Blu-Ray Disc region coding (for movies):

Blu-ray_regions_with_key.png

Edited by the white drew carey

You & me both. Hell, maybe they'd consider it since newer models won't even play PS2 games :)

So what are blu ray movies running in Japan? Are they like $90 or are they paying the same as we are.

A quick sample of Amazon Japan put the 300 Blu-Ray edition at about $33, $23 here in the states. But bear in mind that the US release was 7/31, and Japan's was 09/26, so it's still fairly new over there.

Of course, that probably isn't indicative of every title.

Been playing heavenly sword, quite a short game, I'm at the last boss, how the hell do I kill him, he keeps getting the upper hand when he fires stuff from the air, I'm not good at countering, but I can't seem to evade either.

Been playing heavenly sword, quite a short game, I'm at the last boss, how the hell do I kill him, he keeps getting the upper hand when he fires stuff from the air, I'm not good at countering, but I can't seem to evade either.

You can block the colored shots and dodge when he swoops down. Attack as soon as possible on the ground block when appropriate. Once you get the hang of the blocks its pretty easy...If I remember there was also a bit of a pattern to it.

I completed heavenly sword, after so many atempts at that last boss. I finally figured out that you can counter the orange shots easily, and the blue ones can be dodged. I don't think I'll be play this game any time soon, my thumbs are really sore from all the button bashing. I'm a bit disapointed that it was a short game. I think its time I played resistance fall of man story mode properly now, since I've got no chance on-line, getting slaughtered too many times kind of gets to you. :lol:

Is Gundam Crossfire as bad as the reviews on Amazon and IGN????

Sadly, yeah. I bought it at a used store for around $15, thinking that reviewers always pick on Gundam games, and that the HUD looked like the Gundam Battle games on the PSP, which I loved (especially the newest one, Battle Chronicle). I was appalled to find the game nearly unplayable.

Sadly, yeah. I bought it at a used store for around $15, thinking that reviewers always pick on Gundam games, and that the HUD looked like the Gundam Battle games on the PSP, which I loved (especially the newest one, Battle Chronicle). I was appalled to find the game nearly unplayable.

So its really crap, I was thinking of getting this game as well. Perhaps gundam dynasty warriors maybe better. I downloaded the demo, but it only let be play as the crapy wing gundam. I would love to control the Zeta Gundam.

There ain't much games out that are of interest right now. I bought Armoured core 4 the other day and although the magazine reviews always give that series a bad rating, I always liked it and the PS3 version is just as good though not brilliant. The thing I find funny about reviewers in the west is that they never seem to enjoy robot games and shows as much as the east. Robots (apart from transformers) just don't appeal to the vast majority of the west, of course I'm in the UK so im not sure if its the same in the America.

Edited by kung flu