The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

IMHO, I think Sony should have stuck with the 20 and 60 GB models (with their Emotion Engine powered backwards compatibility) through at least this Christmas season. The 60 GB version would have been $499 like it is now and the 20 GB version should have been ran at $399. (Gamestop's website believe it or not is still selling the 20 GB version - $449). This 40 GB version I think is a big mistake just because so many features are being dumped off; it's a sign of desparation and I think they're trying to randomly shoot in the air in hopes that they'll hit something. For all the fuss that Sony made about having hardware onboard for BC with PS2 games and that they wanted the full line of PS1-PS3 playable on one machine, again this is bad.

What I don't understand is why the 40gig can't do software emu.

It turns out the "software" wasn't 100% percent software driven, Sony had to include hardware dedicated to the emulation which ended up only saving them $20 per console after all was said and done. Sony also admitted that their software emulation wasn't as accurate or comprehensive as they originally planned, so rather than pump more money into coding updates for the software they just axed it completely.

It turns out the "software" wasn't 100% percent software driven, Sony had to include hardware dedicated to the emulation which ended up only saving them $20 per console after all was said and done. Sony also admitted that their software emulation wasn't as accurate or comprehensive as they originally planned, so rather than pump more money into coding updates for the software they just axed it completely.

In other words, "Buy the 60GB version w/EE before it's too late"!

I'd be interested to know what movies the two of you chose as yours seemed to take quite a while to ship.

I picked Corpse Bride, Chicken Little, Babel, Transporter 2 and Resident Evil and received mine in just over 4 weeks.

The Guardian, The Italian Job, Resident Evil, Phantom of the Opera, & the Transporter 2.

The Japanese 40GB Dynasty Warriors 6 bundle

The Japanese 40GB PS3 news just will. Not. Stop. It's been announced today that Dynasty Warriors fans who are hanging onto their PS2s are the enemy. To entice them to get with the program, they've got the offer of purchasing a Dynasty Warriors 6/40GB PS3 bundle, which includes a white 40GB PS3, Dynasty Warriors 6 and a whole bunch of nifty Dynasty Warriors stuff like character art folders and dog tag-looking things. The whole package will cost ¥49980 (USD$426), which is exactly ¥10000 (USD$85) more than the standalone 40GB PS3. Nice swag, then, but definitely not cheap swag.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/dw-swag/japan-get...ndle-309005.php

I'm still waiting for my Blu-ray movies. Sent the info in the beginning of August.

Are you asking about units that utilize the EE and emulation? As far as I know, it's one or the other, with the 80G unit using only emulation. The 60G unit is still the one to get for price and compatability...

I saw in the papers today that Argos is selling the 60gb PS3 with choice of two free games, Fall of man, Heavenly Sword, Formula 1 and another motor storm. The price is £349.95 British pounds. This offer is in the UK and it ends on the 16th. I'm very tempted to buy it with Fall of man and heavenly sword. <_< Instead of waiting for the PS4 to come out so the price would drop further :lol:

Are you asking about units that utilize the EE and emulation? As far as I know, it's one or the other, with the 80G unit using only emulation. The 60G unit is still the one to get for price and compatability...

No, I'm asking that if the software emu is bunk (i.e. not worth supporting), and as such not included in the 40 gig, then what about all the people who are buying the 80 gig.

Some pages back I asked about the 80G's 'emu vs. 'emo, and everyone here stated that it would always be better to have the chip, as 'emu would never allow as much backwards compatability.

Unless space becomes an issue, I wouldn't have a problem with keeping my PS1 & 2 for playing old games so I'm beginning to think that compatability is a moot point...

So who's got Ratchet & Clank and the Conan demo? I got the Conan demo some time ago on the 360 so should be interesting to compare (have them both downloaded now). Also looks like the new EULA was shown here:

http://www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreements/13

Looks to me like Home is right around the corner, probably on or around 10/30 which is when the new terms of use take effect....

So who's got Ratchet & Clank and the Conan demo? I got the Conan demo some time ago on the 360 so should be interesting to compare (have them both downloaded now). Also looks like the new EULA was shown here:

http://www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreements/13

Looks to me like Home is right around the corner, probably on or around 10/30 which is when the new terms of use take effect....

I didn't bother reading the EULA, I just agreed to it. I have a tendency to agree then disregard them anyway if they don't suit me.

But, I did play the Conan demo on the 360... the first thing I noticed was that it really looks like crap. I'm talking "is this supposed to be a PS2 game?" graphics. Once you get past that, though, it's a pretty fun game. Combat reminds me a little of Heavenly Sword.

As for R&C, I've been downloading it for the past two hours or so... and I'm at 15%. Why is it that the PS3 seems to take forever to download anything? I downloaded some demo on the 360 last night that was bigger (can't recall which one, since I downloaded four or five total) in a about a half hour.

I didn't bother reading the EULA, I just agreed to it. I have a tendency to agree then disregard them anyway if they don't suit me.

But, I did play the Conan demo on the 360... the first thing I noticed was that it really looks like crap. I'm talking "is this supposed to be a PS2 game?" graphics. Once you get past that, though, it's a pretty fun game. Combat reminds me a little of Heavenly Sword.

As for R&C, I've been downloading it for the past two hours or so... and I'm at 15%. Why is it that the PS3 seems to take forever to download anything? I downloaded some demo on the 360 last night that was bigger (can't recall which one, since I downloaded four or five total) in a about a half hour.

Your internet connection sir sucks ass. Started downloading R&C 5mins agon and I'm at 7% downloaded. Over Wi-Fi.

Ran into a Sony rep at Toys R Us today. He was there teaching the staff about some of the new stuff that was coming out. Confirmed that DualShock 3 was coming Feb/Mar of next year. Home open beta is set for the end of Oct. Talked about Motorstorm 2, Littlebigplanet, Assassin Creed, possible updates for Warhawk(air carrier level), Folklore, GT5 and how they were thinking of doing something similar for it as Valve is doing for HL2 Orange box, doesn't know why GH3 is going with a dongle instead of bluetooth,..etc.

And in the time it took to type that I'm at 15% download on R&C.

My Ratchet & Clank download was taking forever too, then I paused & resumed a couple times, & it picked right up.

And as expected, Ratchet & Clank is teh awesome, I can't wait for the full game. Hell, I wish the demo was a little longer, should have at least let you finish the stage.

You said you're using ethernet right? Have you checked for collisions at your switch/router (assuming it's managed) and your duplex settings? The gigabit ethernet on the PS3 blazes so sounds like you have a bottleneck somewhere... With tweaking, you can get good performance out of the wireless, but it wasn't like that out of the box for me. I had to adjust settings both on the PS3 and my WAP itself and carefully monitor the network connection screen until I could get as strong a strength possible.

You said you're using ethernet right? Have you checked for collisions at your switch/router (assuming it's managed) and your duplex settings? The gigabit ethernet on the PS3 blazes so sounds like you have a bottleneck somewhere... With tweaking, you can get good performance out of the wireless, but it wasn't like that out of the box for me. I had to adjust settings both on the PS3 and my WAP itself and carefully monitor the network connection screen until I could get as strong a strength possible.

I went wired. I think the slow speed of that particular download might just be because everyone else was on downloading it from the same servers.

As for wireless issues, my apartment only has one cable outlet. So out of necessity, the modem and router are near the TV. And since my computer and my wife's computers are on one side, that's the side the modem and router went on. My AV receiver is on the other side of the TV, and because HDMI cable is expensive, I bought a shorter one and stuck the PS3 closer to the receiver. As a result, I think EM interference from the TV and receiver prevents the PS3 from from picking up a good signal from the router.

I'll be honest with you... as much as I do know about computer hardware, networking hasn't been my strongest area. I logged into the router and checked its status logs; it hasn't mentioned anything about conflicts or collisions. I couldn't find anything about duplex settings.

Networking is almost a black art from my meager experience. I hate attatching a new computer to the system at work.

Well, like I said, I think the problem is that Sony's new into the online service game, and I think sometimes the demand for downloads is higher than they expect. I had the same problem when the Heavenly Sword demo came out. But if I download something less interesting, like Go! Sudoku, at at time when the PlayStation Store hasn't been updated in awhile, it doesn't take nearly as long. I have (at the moment) two wired desktop PCs, a wired 360 and PS3, plus a wireless Wii, MacBook, PSP, and iPod Touch. (There used to be four wired PCs). The PS3 is the only thing on my network that's been that slow, so I'm pretty sure that my ability to download was less impeded by my equipment than their ability to upload at that particular moment.

Were you background d/ling it? I've noticed that it doesn't really background download if you're doing something else on the PS3 (watching movie playing games etc).

Otherwise like Uxi saids you're going to have to tweak your network connections. Like you I have a many wired/wireless setup 2 Macs/1 PC wired to router. Wirelessly PS3, Wii, PSP, HTPC phone and my brothers MacBook when he visits. I had another TiBook on the wireless setup a few years back until it died but it didn't have problems then either.

Granted I have a gigabit router, ultra hispeed DSL connection.....

I finally got a PS3, last thursday, I got heavenly sword and resistance fall of man with it. I've set up a internet connection for it and I've been playin resistance multi-player. It's a free multi-player service, does this mean all ps3 online games are free? Also I sometimes get "buddy invites" what do I do with these?. As you can porbably tell, online gaming is new to me, I've never tried it before on PC or anything else.

I finally got a PS3, last thursday, I got heavenly sword and resistance fall of man with it. I've set up a internet connection for it and I've been playin resistance multi-player. It's a free multi-player service, does this mean all ps3 online games are free? Also I sometimes get "buddy invites" what do I do with these?. As you can porbably tell, online gaming is new to me, I've never tried it before on PC or anything else.

Online gaming charges is usually up to the developer.

Most likely, MMOs will charge a monthly fee. Everything else will probably be free.

Buddy invites is the "friend's List" list of people you can see when they are online and vice versa.

With that you can chat (although not during in-game on the PS3 if you're playing a different game), invite to games, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'm still to figure out the clan option too, though I doubt anyone would want me in a team since I'm always getting slaughtered. I even went into a game where I killed no one :lol:

Is there any security for the internet browser, there doesn't seem to be any anti virus or firewall software options?

Edited by kung flu

If game companies can't develop for the PS3, I would doubt that some bored teenager will be able to make a virus for the PS3.

You'll never know, some prick might make a virus just to prove a point. The PS3 is a bit slow in the games, but I think it would gradually pick up when the machine becomes more affordable, that way more people, means more game developement and also possible viruses in the future. You only have to look at mobile phones, where there are now viruses for them.

You'll never know, some prick might make a virus just to prove a point. The PS3 is a bit slow in the games, but I think it would gradually pick up when the machine becomes more affordable, that way more people, means more game developement and also possible viruses in the future. You only have to look at mobile phones, where there are now viruses for them.

PS3 on PS2 are Linux base systems, someone had made virus for Unix before, so it is possible to have virus but it not as easy as pc virus. check out yellowdog linux to get linux for the PS3. I think xbox 360 is supposed to be running some Unix base os but I'm not sure.

Thanks, I'm still to figure out the clan option too, though I doubt anyone would want me in a team since I'm always getting slaughtered. I even went into a game where I killed no one :lol:

Lol, don't be too hard on yourself. There's always some pimple-faced, homebound teenager named DeathKillForcePWNSyou2008 that's gonna' take you out and make you feel like a tool for even signing on...

Question:

Do you think it would be too hard to get an external HD-dvd drive to work on the PS3? I'm thinking one could take the HD-DVD drive for a xbox360, stick it in an external case and connect using USB. How hard would it be to make a driver since the system is basiclly linux?