The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

The toys and anime don't apply much to me but I still am finding less and less time to play. But then again, my job requires insane amounts of time lately. Heaven knows what will happen if I pick up a 360 again.

Same here. Stopped watching and collecting but with the busier job I still can't find the will to spend any time "mastering" a game. I've fallen into the casual gamer category!

Anyone going to pick up Ass-Creed and Need for Speed this week? Also, how do you guys decide which platform to buy for?

Well, that's my main reason for never really playing online. I love gaming, and I've been doing it since my Magnavox Odyssey 2. I've never lost interest in it, and I'd rather play a good game than watch TV or a movie. But with so many good games out there, the older I get and the more responsibilities I have, I end up buying a game, beating it, then selling it and moving on to the next one. I don't have the time to devote toward mastering a game to be competitive in online matches, and even if I did, I generally find playing around online a waste of time that could be spent diving into the next game.

The difference is between playing AI, even the best of which is predictable. THe most challenging single player games are either click on everything until you get it right types (Myst, etc) or those where the computer has inhumanly superior speed or multi-tasking, etc. From Command & Conquer and Warcraft to Unreal Tournament and Janes ATF Gold, were the first games where I got to see this. I could thrash them all on the hardest settings... but play against people and you can't predict what they're going to do. Sometimes they do dumb things... but they're far more cunning than the computer could ever hope to be.

That's why I was playing BF: Vietnam long after BF2 first came out. The game was still entertaining. Now I'm still playing BF2 even though 2142 has been out awhile. My console gaming is all Warhawk at this point since the game has a great mix of different skills you need (mastering dogfighting in a Warhawk/Nemesis is entirely different from doing infantry which is different still from vehicle combat). Getting on a good team with good coordination on objectives (Capture the Flag: Offense versus Defense) and Zones is great. Effective small unit tactics also greatly help in Team Death Match, as well, which have the simpler objective of "kill the bad guys more than they kill you).

Same here. Stopped watching and collecting but with the busier job I still can't find the will to spend any time "mastering" a game. I've fallen into the casual gamer category!

Anyone going to pick up Ass-Creed and Need for Speed this week? Also, how do you guys decide which platform to buy for?

Well, I'm not much of a PC gamer, even with FPS. The only PC games I've bought in the last several years are Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights 2, and the related expansions.

Between the consoles, I think Persona 3 was the last PS2 game I'll buy new, and the Xbox and Gamecube are honestly dead. For the Wii, I buy just the exclusives, since there's little reason to buy a dumbed down multi-platform game with tacked-on waggle. That just leaves the PS3 and the 360. Exclusives obviously go on their respective consoles, but I try to read reviews that give a clear indication if one version is clearly better than the other. Sometimes it comes down to the controller; the PS3 has a better d-pad, the 360 has better triggers. All things being equal, though, I'll usually buy the 360 version. I prefer the 360's Dashboard to the PS3's XMB, I prefer Xbox Live to the PlayStation Network, and meaningless as they are, I enjoy getting Achievements.

The difference is between playing AI, even the best of which is predictable. THe most challenging single player games are either click on everything until you get it right types (Myst, etc) or those where the computer has inhumanly superior speed or multi-tasking, etc. From Command & Conquer and Warcraft to Unreal Tournament and Janes ATF Gold, were the first games where I got to see this. I could thrash them all on the hardest settings... but play against people and you can't predict what they're going to do. Sometimes they do dumb things... but they're far more cunning than the computer could ever hope to be.

That's why I was playing BF: Vietnam long after BF2 first came out. The game was still entertaining. Now I'm still playing BF2 even though 2142 has been out awhile. My console gaming is all Warhawk at this point since the game has a great mix of different skills you need (mastering dogfighting in a Warhawk/Nemesis is entirely different from doing infantry which is different still from vehicle combat). Getting on a good team with good coordination on objectives (Capture the Flag: Offense versus Defense) and Zones is great. Effective small unit tactics also greatly help in Team Death Match, as well, which have the simpler objective of "kill the bad guys more than they kill you).

Well, I mean, to each his own. Judging by the games you listed, you obviously get a lot of enjoyment out of multiplayer, but as those games are built primarily around multiplayer, I haven't played and won't play them. You're probably looking for a different experience than I am; you're looking for competition, and prefer humans to predictable AI. You could say that I'm looking for the satisfaction of task completion. It doesn't matter to me if the game is easy or hard, I just want to finish it (although narrative matters to me, as my favorites are games with good stories where my moral choices directly affect the outcome, ala Jade Empire and KOTOR). The difference between us is really summed up when you said you were still playing Vietnam after BF2 came out. You were still having fun and content to keep playing, whereas I would be anxious to move onto a new one.

In Dynasty Warriors Gundam, you can play the Official Mode with Kamille and the Zeta Gundam from the first time you play the game. Beating Official Mode with Kamille will unlock him in Original Mode. Eventually, you'll unlock Roux, who also pilots the Zeta Gundam.

Oh, and yeah, it's a much better game than Crossfire.

Maybe I should dig up the game and replay it using Kamille, I finished with Amuro then Char and most missions are the same.... Are Kamille's different? Haven't played it for so long, which Mode is the TV mode again?

For the Crossfire game, I actually didn't really mind it, it has some pretty nice missions and some are kinda hard, for me anyways :) except maybe the graphics can be a bit better.

I was hoping to be able to play the Macross PS2 game on my PS3 too and actually almost bought it. Sony sucks!!

There is a Macross game for PS3, maybe a Japanese version, is there any in the works that you guys know of?

Edited by Fai

It's confirmed over at QJ.net that PS3 will be getting DivX support in a future firmware update. Yay! I can stop tryin to convert my videos to MP4.

See, I've got an upconverting DVD player that plays DivX, but if the PS3 does it in the future, the PS3 could become my primary movie player and that'd free up an HDMI port in my entertainment center...

Maybe I should dig up the game and replay it using Kamille, I finished with Amuro then Char and most missions are the same.... Are Kamille's different? Haven't played it for so long, which Mode is the TV mode again?

Official, and yeah, Kamille's story is Zeta, Judau's ZZ, and finishing their stories will unlock Scirocco and Haman's stories. Official isn't bad, but you get sick of Original real fast.

There is a Macross game for PS3, maybe a Japanese version, is there any in the works that you guys know of?

None yet. But considering that there was one for the NES, a handful for the PC Engine and arcades, one for the SNES, three for the PSone, one for the Dreamcast, and one for the PS2, I'd imagine that one will eventually come out for the PS3, especially with the new TV series coming out in the next two years.

Edited by mikeszekely

Just finished Heavenly Nariko, I mean Sword. If I don't end up getting 'NFS Pro today I'm gonna' go back and try to master what is actually a simple but beautiful game...

Just finished Heavenly Nariko, I mean Sword. If I don't end up getting 'NFS Pro today I'm gonna' go back and try to master what is actually a simple but beautiful game...

Did you play the NFS Pro Street demo? I loved NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 and NFS Underground, and I liked NFS Underground 2 and NFS Carbon, but the demo for Pro Street played more like a crappier Gran Turismo than NFS.

Did you play the NFS Pro Street demo? I loved NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 and NFS Underground, and I liked NFS Underground 2 and NFS Carbon, but the demo for Pro Street played more like a crappier Gran Turismo than NFS.

I agree with the Pro Street...Carbon was way better.

A reviewer said the same thing about Pro-Street: on top of the tug-boat handling of ALL of the cars, the game seemed to not know what it wanted to be; a high tech racing simulator or arcade driving game. The graphics suffered from inconsistent frame rates and lackluster visual presentation. Why do I want this game again? I dunno, I was just anxious to buy the new and shiny model of the breed, I guess.

I considered 'Carbon but, going by "professional" reviewers, I gathered that 'Carbon was too arcadey and aimed at the F&F wanna-be crowd. I'm going to ignore those opinions now for the following reasons: I can't seem to find 'Pro-street anywhere, I love the car list in 'Carbon, I myself am a F&F wanna-be, but ultimately the opinions of you guys here mean more to me than anyone else's and it's all I know I need to hear...

Is it news at all that I found a 60GB for sale today? Haven't seen any in a while.

Did you buy it?

I haven't been looking, but mostly because my Christmas shopping is just about done. If I need something like groceries, I'm doing it at 2:00 in the morning. I thought, as this is my first Christmas in like 10 years, that I might actually enjoy it this year, but I just can't stand the way everyone seems to forget how to drive in their desperate rush to buy junk for everyone they're remotely acquainted with. It doesn't help that there's construction going on on just about every freaking road in Western PA, either.

No, I need to save up for an HDTV first. Plus, I plan on getting the 40GB when I do get one--they're supposed to run quieter--and you know how I am about noisy systems. :)

My PS2 hasn't seen much use the past 3-6 months, and will see even less in the future--just the occasional replayings of favorite RPG's etc---it should last a long time in that role. And in the future, when Toys R Us is clearancing out silver PStwo's for $49.99, I'll pick one up for a spare just in case. Heck, I still have my PSX just in case, if for nothing else than to ensure Suikoden 1, Xenogears, Valk Profile, and MM X4 can be played forever.

Plus I can just keep my PStwo hooked up to my 20in CRT forever, and thus not be subjected to Shadow of the Colossus on an LCD (man does that look bad). :)

The 60g units are still around. I didn't have a problem picking one up at Best Buy other than the dust I had to clean off of it. Unless they drastically reduce the price on this thing they'll be here for a while longer...

Plus I can just keep my PStwo hooked up to my 20in CRT forever, and thus not be subjected to Shadow of the Colossus on an LCD (man does that look bad). :)

Seriously. I was playing Ace Combat 5 in my PS3 last night. I remember playing it when it came out thinking it looked pretty good. In the interim, I'd bought a 52" 1080i DLP, an Xbox 360, and Ace Combat 6. When I played 5 again, I actually thought it looked worse after 6 than 2 did after 4.

So I got my Blu-Rays the other day...but they were out of the Italian Job...so they sent me HAPPY FEET :blink:

could they pick a movie more different than the italian job. Buene Vista are a bunch of idiots.

So I took Happy Feet and a few of the other so so movies back to a store and exchanged them for something else. I still need to get rid of kiss of the dragon and blazing saddles though.

So I got my Blu-Rays the other day...but they were out of the Italian Job...so they sent me HAPPY FEET :blink:

could they pick a movie more different than the italian job. Buene Vista are a bunch of idiots.

So I took Happy Feet and a few of the other so so movies back to a store and exchanged them for something else. I still need to get rid of kiss of the dragon and blazing saddles though.

Hmmm, I was thinking about doing that myself. Who has the leanest return policy to attempt this with?

ok, I got a free ps3 80gb with a tv my bro purchased.

what are some good games that are unique to this console? (i have a 360 as well)

Not too much. That's not to say that the PS3 doesn't have good games, just that a lot of them aren't exclusive. Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted are pretty good, Resistance and Heavenly Sword are worth a look.

Tech question: I disconnect my PS3 alot, and every once in a while after I reconnect everything the first thing I see upon power-up is a prompt, stating that an HDMI connection is detected and whether I would like to send both video and audio through HDMI. I try to answer "no," as my audio is handled with a fiber optic line to my receiver, and when I do so, the screen goes blank and the system no longer responds. If I choose "yes," then I have to go to the audio settings and choose the fiber optic cable option to set everything back to normal.

Any ideas?

Tech question: I disconnect my PS3 alot, and every once in a while after I reconnect everything the first thing I see upon power-up is a prompt, stating that an HDMI connection is detected and whether I would like to send both video and audio through HDMI. I try to answer "no," as my audio is handled with a fiber optic line to my receiver, and when I do so, the screen goes blank and the system no longer responds. If I choose "yes," then I have to go to the audio settings and choose the fiber optic cable option to set everything back to normal.

Any ideas?

Well, it sounds like you're unplugging it, and when it powers back on after a period, it reverts to default settings. It also sounds like when it's asking you about the HDMI cable, it's not making a distinction between the video and the audio, it's all or nothing, and when you say "no" because you don't want audio over HDMI, you're inadvertently telling it "no" to the video as well.

I can really only suggest three things. First, you could leave it plugged in so that it retains your settings. Second, you could try audio over HDMI and remove the fiber optic: I don't know which is supposed to be better, but HDMI does carry multi-channel sound (of course, this is only a viable option of you're receiver's an AV receiver and not just an audio receiver). The third option isn't going to solve anything short term, but you could try contacting Sony, explaining the issue, and request a fix for it in the next firmware update. I'd like to think that it wasn't a coincidence that I complained to Sony about some issues I was having with 2.00, and then 2.01 hit a few days later with no new features, just bug fixes.

A question: does the USB flightstick controllers from Ace Combat 5 (PS2) work on newer PS3 consoles? If so, are there any decent Ace Combat like flight games for the PS3 (I understand that AC6 is only for XBox360 right?)?

Thanks,

A question: does the USB flightstick controllers from Ace Combat 5 (PS2) work on newer PS3 consoles? If so, are there any decent Ace Combat like flight games for the PS3 (I understand that AC6 is only for XBox360 right?)?

Thanks,

Good question. I'll try my AC5 flightstick today on my 60GB PS3.

Oh, and anyone loking for a PS3 deal might want to check Wal-Mart this Saturday the 23rd. 80GB PS3 for $499 and 10 FREE Blu-ray movies in addition to the 5 mail in free ones!

Edited by Gaijin

Well, it sounds like you're unplugging it, and when it powers back on after a period, it reverts to default settings. It also sounds like when it's asking you about the HDMI cable, it's not making a distinction between the video and the audio, it's all or nothing, and when you say "no" because you don't want audio over HDMI, you're inadvertently telling it "no" to the video as well.

Thanks Mike. Well I'm just hoping there isn't anything wrong with my shiny new console. It gets unplugged regulary due to visits to other people's homes as well as work occasionally. I've read on dedicated AV forums that HDMI, 'coax and FO sound hookups are all the same, but the convenience of just running one cable for HDMI is the advantage...

So yesterday I bought the dual shock 3 at frank & sons, I haven't played with it yet cus my ps3 is in SF. So is it just plug n play? Also will the usb cord that came with my ps3 work with it? Will the dual shock 3 damage my US ps3? I got questions, need answers!!!

So yesterday I bought the dual shock 3 at frank & sons, I haven't played with it yet cus my ps3 is in SF. So is it just plug n play? Also will the usb cord that came with my ps3 work with it? Will the dual shock 3 damage my US ps3? I got questions, need answers!!!

How much did you pay for it? Was it black or white? as for your question, it's plug and play (some game will automatically support the rumble while others will need an update ). your USB cord will work fine and it won't damage your PS3.

If you have the 2.0 firmware for your PS3, al your Ps2 games should work with it

Edited by Gunbuster

If you have the 2.0 firmware for your PS3, al your Ps2 games should work with it

That it does...Tried God of War II when I got my DS3's and it rumbles just like the days of old... :) Picked up a Black and a white one...white one is nicer but will get dirty...black one is truly "Black" unlike the see thru SIXAXIS only ones. It might be my imagination but the analog sticks on the DS3 feel "better" and the R2 and L2 are "smoother" as well.

Thanks,

The AC5 flight stick works on the PS3...tried it with AC5 rumble included. Ace Combat 6 is coming for the PS3..it was not an exclusive but a timed one, like Virtua Fighter 5 for the PS3, timed only.

How much did you pay for it? Was it black or white? as for your question, it's plug and play (some game will automatically support the rumble while others will need an update ). your USB cord will work fine and it won't damage your PS3.

it was the white one, and i paid 75 buckaroos, so far ive only played 2 games cod4 and uncharted, cod4 didnt rumble but uncharted did :rolleyes: i have to test resistence, r6, heavenly sword, warhawk, graw2, and AC