The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

I'm really shocked that Sony doesn't promote their online play more. Especially the fact that it is free. I think it works better than xboxes also in that I have seen absolutely no lag in warhawk even with 32 players playing.

I definitely agree. It's a great asset. I'll bet they're waiting for Home to really emphasize that, though.

I'm really shocked that Sony doesn't promote their online play more. Especially the fact that it is free. I think it works better than xboxes also in that I have seen absolutely no lag in warhawk even with 32 players playing.

Multiplayer dogfight only maps is frakkin' awesome. Nothing like seeing a swarm of swarm missles coming at your team while your team sends a volley and seeing a crapload of chaff and planes rolling like crazy to avoid.

can somebody explain what all the 720p,1080i,1080p mean? i have a 47inch 1080p tv, but i hate going into the ps3 to change the settings to play one game(720p rainbow 6) and a diffrent resolution for another (warhawk 1080i) i tried wiki-ing it but i just fell asleep trying to understand it, can somebody give me a simple way to understand it? thanks

I could be wrong but doesn't the PS3 dynamically rescale it's output to match it's source? I mean, if I'm watching a 1080i Blu Ray and some 480i special feature is played the unit automatically downshifts to that resolution. And while I don't own any games yet I've noticed that it does automatically adjust itself to the resolution of the demo you are playing. I'm not sure why you'd have to manually readjust the resolution settings.

I could be wrong but doesn't the PS3 dynamically rescale it's output to match it's source? I mean, if I'm watching a 1080i Blu Ray and some 480i special feature is played the unit automatically downshifts to that resolution. And while I don't own any games yet I've noticed that it does automatically adjust itself to the resolution of the demo you are playing. I'm not sure why you'd have to manually readjust the resolution settings.

yea thats what im talking about, for blu-ray and dvd movies i think it works fine, i dont have to change the video output(i leave it on 1080p), but when it comes to certain games like rainbow6 3 it looks horrible in 1080p/i so i have to change the ps3 settings to 720p.

Are you sure it doesn't resolution match with games? I have the Ghost Recon demo on my PS3 and that is a 720p game. My PS3 is in native 1080i mode and when I start that demo I get that screen Bla-BLIP! of it changing resolutions down to 720p. Then when I'm done with the demo and exit out of it I get another Bla-BLIP! as my plasma goes back into 1080i for the PS3 menu.

yea thats what im talking about, for blu-ray and dvd movies i think it works fine, i dont have to change the video output(i leave it on 1080p), but when it comes to certain games like rainbow6 3 it looks horrible in 1080p/i so i have to change the ps3 settings to 720p.

It only happens with rainbow six vegas that 1080i is all screwy. It is like it's all washed out or a bad upscaled 480p. 720 is fine for that game but that is the only game to have that problem.

Edited by Gaijin

I think the PS3 automatically changes output to the best possible. Also if you have a 1080p HDTV it should also automatically change down if a game isn't in 18080p.

This isn't really PS3 related (yet), but the next Gundam Vs game has been announced to hit arcades in March. It's going to feature mobile suits from 15 different series, which could cover all U.C. & AU from the original straight through 00.

This could finally be the all encompansing super Gundam vs game I've been waiting for. And if it hits PS3, all the better, as it'll be incredibly easy to import. I can't wait!! Especially After Alliance Vs ZAFT II Plus & its crazy fast gameplay, if they keep the basic engine, & throw in curreng gen level graphics, I couldn't possibly be happier.

This isn't really PS3 related (yet), but the next Gundam Vs game has been announced to hit arcades in March. It's going to feature mobile suits from 15 different series, which could cover all U.C. & AU from the original straight through 00.

This could finally be the all encompansing super Gundam vs game I've been waiting for. And if it hits PS3, all the better, as it'll be incredibly easy to import. I can't wait!! Especially After Alliance Vs ZAFT II Plus & its crazy fast gameplay, if they keep the basic engine, & throw in curreng gen level graphics, I couldn't possibly be happier.

I did indeed enjoy the faster gameplay of the Alliance vs. ZAFT, but Gundam vs. Z Gundam had the best non-arcade mode. But whatever. I'll be happy if they just do UC up to Char's Counterattack instead of Z Gundam (and no, tacking ZZ and a Qubeley MK II don't coun't as covering ZZ Gundam... it's gotta have a Zaku III).

Oh my god, Turn A, 0083, SEED/Destiny/Stargazer, & MSG & Zeta are definately in it.

http://japan.gamespot.com/arcade/news/stor...20356388,00.htm

The backgrounds still look a little weak, but that may get refined by the time of the game's arecade release. If this get's released on PS3, I'm importing it asap, though it probably won't hit consoles for at least a year from now....I'm so excited!!!

Some more good news. It looks like the official xbox mag is acknowledging Ace Combat 6 as a "timed" exclusive. The Bamco official page has also added Beautiful Katamari & Eternal Sonata officially onto the PS3 roster, though not launching at the same time as the 360 versions. Bamco hasn't officially stated anything about AC6, but if it is indeed a timed exclusive, hopefully it'll hit the PS3 early/mid next year.

BTW, has anyone heard any more info about the rumored rumble being added to the sixaxis? If that's due out early/mid next year, it could be a contributing factor to some of these PS3 release delays.

Edited by Keith

Some more good news. It looks like the official xbox mag is acknowledging Ace Combat 6 as a "timed" exclusive. The Bamco official page has also added Beautiful Katamari & Eternal Sonata officially onto the PS3 roster, though not launching at the same time as the 360 versions. Bamco hasn't officially stated anything about AC6, but if it is indeed a timed exclusive, hopefully it'll hit the PS3 early/mid next year.

BTW, has anyone heard any more info about the rumored rumble being added to the sixaxis? If that's due out early/mid next year, it could be a contributing factor to some of these PS3 release delays.

According to the pre-TGS info, Eternal Sonata has been CONFIRMED for PS3 next year in Japan, with "Extra content".

Beautiful Katamari was CONFIRMED to be a 360 exclusive.

Magicbox as reported a rumor (again) that AC6 is timed exclusive.

Zaku III would rock pretty hard, but considering it was such a minor ZZ mecha, do you think they'll include it?

Barzams eventually made it, didn't they? In fact, looking at a quick list of mobile suits from Z Gundam, pretty much all of them were in Gundam Vs. Z Gundam, including units used by little ace squads. And while the Zaku III didn't get the kind of screen time I wish it did, Mashymre did have a custom one. So I'm going to cross my fingers, as the Zaku III and the Nu Gundam are the two units I've wanted in a Vs. game the most since I played Federation Vs. Zeon back in the day.

And I'm totally with you on this... if it comes out on PS3 and doesn't get a US release, I'm importing it.

I just went and picked up Heavenly Sword. Time to give it a whirl.

Oh - rather than buy another cursed Xbox 360, I just upgraded my computer. I got bioshock, kicked up the graphics to full, and well - its a pretty cool game. I'd argue that the enemies are a little bit of a disappointment. Looks like you're killing carnival clowns. But hey, the environments are really pretty. (Is that why everyone loves this game so much?)

I've had a good week getting PS3 games. Check out the prices:

Warhawk $45 with headset from circuit city

Gundam crossfire $9 on ebay sealed

Dynasty warriors Gundam $22 on ebay sealed

Motorstorm $20 used at Pawn America

I gotta buy more games via ebay and pawn america more often. Nothing like getting 3 games for the price of one.

I've had a good week getting PS3 games. Check out the prices:

Warhawk $45 with headset from circuit city

Gundam crossfire $9 on ebay sealed

Dynasty warriors Gundam $22 on ebay sealed

Motorstorm $20 used at Pawn America

I gotta buy more games via ebay and pawn america more often. Nothing like getting 3 games for the price of one.

Yeah, I got NFS Carbon on clearance at Target for $20.98. Target can be a gold mine for cheap games if you check out their clearance endcaps.

I finally had to switch Kamiles final level to easy to beat it. Stupid Char kept going after Haman and died.

Yeah, that's the problem with the Warriors games... the AI can be REALLY dumb. I remember in the original Samurai Warriors, there was a level playing as Oichi, where the achieve victory, Nobunaga had to exit the level at a certain point. And I failed it, a lot, not because Nobunaga or I were killed, but because Nobunaga kept wanting to kill grunts, and wouldn't leave the field before time ran out. To beat the level, I had to capture all the enemy gates so that no new grunts came onto the field, and literally kill EVERY SINGLE GRUNT in the entire level... which caused Nobunaga to kinda just stand around. I actually had to push it toward the exit.

Char will have a similar stage when you play him in Official, but I don't remember it being quite as bad. And I haven't seen anything else in the game that even comes close.

I don't think I'm near beating Heavenly Sword... heck, maybe I'm close to 1/2 through? Here's my 2 cents; this game is breathtakingly gorgeous - and the CG acting is so phenomenal that I keep on playing just to see more of the story unfold. The actual combat and gameplay is okay, it's fun, but as was said before, it's no God of War. Enemies sort of have a hard time dying, BUT, you can stab them when they're on the ground to put them out of your misery quicker. It's still fun as heck. Coupled with the more than amazing voice acting/acting, this game is A++ badASS. Best game I've bought so far for my ps3, probably. Game developers are going to have a really, REALLY rough time living up to this one, story-telling wise.

Bring on Devil May Cry! Please!

I don't think I'm near beating Heavenly Sword... heck, maybe I'm close to 1/2 through? Here's my 2 cents; this game is breathtakingly gorgeous - and the CG acting is so phenomenal that I keep on playing just to see more of the story unfold. The actual combat and gameplay is okay, it's fun, but as was said before, it's no God of War. Enemies sort of have a hard time dying, BUT, you can stab them when they're on the ground to put them out of your misery quicker. It's still fun as heck. Coupled with the more than amazing voice acting/acting, this game is A++ badASS. Best game I've bought so far for my ps3, probably. Game developers are going to have a really, REALLY rough time living up to this one, story-telling wise.

Bring on Devil May Cry! Please!

I too am enjoying Heavenly Sword. Production values are beyond anything seen in games before. Fighting engine not as polished as God of War but is better than most. The game at a glance seems like a button masher but it does require knowledge of the counters and styles and combos to progress. Very solid title. Love the music and voice acting. Bring on the sequels!

For Warhawk and other online PS3 stuff, my user name is

trav54

Got Heavenly Sword today and just spent about an hour and a half playing it. The game does operate as a button masher, though I've found that it's far more useful to NOT do that. I kill off almost all enemies by triangle, for example after playing some hit and run (using strong to clear them out if I start getting crowded in). Combos are great, too.

Was having a lot of fun until I started to get frustrated playing Kai in the mission where you're trying to save your wounded master. Aftertouch with the cannon and Nariko was easy but that crossbow is kicking my butt and some of the last guys always get in and kill the old buzzard. Ah well, I'm sure I'll have it down by tomorrow.

It only happens with rainbow six vegas that 1080i is all screwy. It is like it's all washed out or a bad upscaled 480p. 720 is fine for that game but that is the only game to have that problem.

thanks 4 the help, i finially realized my ps3 did auto scale, it was just rainbow6's fault. So I picked up Heavenly Sword I can honesty say this game rocks, I love Kai's missions,once you get aftertouch down its awsome shooting enemies in the head, i I also love the use of the sixxaxis in this game, very easy to guide arrows/cannon and start air combos, you can also recover faster if you shake the controller left/right, Story is pretty rad, people complain that its short but i think its just right. currenty i got all the medels in normal mode now im working on hell mode.

*SPOILERS*

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

*was anyone eles surprised/pissed-off at Flying Fox when he hung Kai? i was like "noo F***iing way, im gonna kill this guy!!!"*

also her line at the end of the fight was pretty funny too..."peek-a-boo.....A**Hole!"

So in Heavenly Sword the only playable extra is hell mode?

I guess will be seeing add-on downloads via the PSN?

Welcome to next-gen gaming, where you pay $10 more upfront for half the gameplay, then buy the rest of the game on an online installment plan.