The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

If you can find the number, great. If not, It's not a huge deal. I have a magazine that that's advertising the free Blu-ray deal with a copy of the order form at the bottom, and if you read the fine print, it says 8-10 weeks. I've got another month before I should really start worrying.

1-800-598-9671

They ask you for your last name and area code, then they whittle it down and tell you your "status". I called the number to check and were told mine were "shipped" that very day and they arrived about five days later.

I bought Dynasty Gundam and so far I've only played one level. It's some sorta', space level or something. And it's all annoying, like you're stuck inside some strange grid. I hope it gets better.

I bought Dynasty Gundam and so far I've only played one level. It's some sorta', space level or something. And it's all annoying, like you're stuck inside some strange grid. I hope it gets better.

The entire game has "Fields" that need to be captured (it's not quite as simple as regular Dynasty Warriors where you can just run around the map chasing the enemy generals). Sometimes it's as easy as killing a certain number of enemies, but just as often you'll have to kill a stronger guard, or even an enemy ace. Capturing fields gives strategic advantages like a bonus to units holding adjacent allied fields, but sometimes it's necessary to capture a particular field to get an enemy ace to start moving or something similar. The first space level I played was a little disorienting at first, but the thing to remember is that while your suit and the enemies are animated as if flying in space, it's all on a level plane, and plays like it's on the ground.

The game's not getting very good reviews, but so far, I'm loving it. I'm doing Official mode with Amuro and the RX-78, and I've completed the first three missions. The Battle of Solomon was especially fun, what with Gato and Ridden showing up.

For those unfamiliar with the game, there are two main modes, Official and Orignial. Official allows you to play through a Gundam story mostly as it happened in the anime, and only with suits from the correct series. For example, for Amuro, you pilot the RX-78, your allies are GMs and the occasional Guncannon, and your enemies are Zakus, Goufs, Doms, Z'Goks, Rick Doms, and Gelgoogs. The missions I've completed were Odessa, Jaburo, and Solomon, with A Baoa Qu being next (and probably last).

Original Mode, on the other hand, is an all-new story where pilots and mobile suits from different Gundam shows all wind up on some mysterious planet.

My only complaint about the game would be that there really aren't that many mobile suits in the game, something like 18 total playable suits (and of those, two of them are Gundam Mk IIs and three of them are Quebeleys). The selection is pretty solid, but it doesn't follow UC past ZZ Gundam (and even then, it would have been nice to have more of the ace suits like the Bawoo, Quin Mantha, or Palace Athene), so no suits or stories from Char's Counterattack (no Nu Gundam :( ), F91, or Victory. Similarly, there's only one or two suits each from Wing, G, and Turn A, and nothing from X, SEED, or SEED Destiny. It's understandable that they maybe didn't want to create too many stages for too many Official stories, but I don't see why they couldn't have crammed more in Original (especially when regular Dynasty Warriors has, what, like 40+ generals to play as).

Well, there's always hope for a sequel. I have no idea how the game will do Stateside, but I understand it sold pretty well in Japan and even helped move some PS3s.

Well, I THINK I beat the 1st level last night... I sort of passed out on the couch. It's been a long week with school starting again (2nd week of school actually) and I've gotten an average of 2 hours sleep per night since the beginning of the semester. Today I'll tackle the game after taking a long nap. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the gundam universe at all, except Wing Gundam, which my friend made me watch years ago. I remember there being some really damned cool suits on that show too, like the scythe guy. Hope he makes an appearance!

Well, I THINK I beat the 1st level last night... I sort of passed out on the couch. It's been a long week with school starting again (2nd week of school actually) and I've gotten an average of 2 hours sleep per night since the beginning of the semester. Today I'll tackle the game after taking a long nap. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the gundam universe at all, except Wing Gundam, which my friend made me watch years ago. I remember there being some really damned cool suits on that show too, like the scythe guy. Hope he makes an appearance!

I don't think the Deathscythe shows up in this game. Sorry.

personally, I would live some EX-S Gundam McLovin'...

1-800-598-9671

They ask you for your last name and area code, then they whittle it down and tell you your "status". I called the number to check and were told mine were "shipped" that very day and they arrived about five days later.

Thanks for digging the number up! My are right about to be shipped. :)

PSN updates. Some good ones.

Sony Computer Entertainment America certainly seems to be getting their act together on the PlayStation Network, as content for the PlayStation Store Thursday updates continue to grow. Alongside the debut of the multiplayer-focused Warhawk, the PlayStation Store comes littered with game demos, high-definition trailers, the highly anticipated online multiplayer add-on for Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, which debuted on Xbox Live yesterday.

The complete list, courtesy of PlayStation.Blog:

# Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix for $9.99

# Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection online add-on for $9.99 or the bundle (game + add-on) for $29.99

# Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008 demo

# All-Pro Football 2K8 demo

# NASCAR '08 demo

# Heavenly Sword "Episode Four: The Sound of Combat" making-of video

# Heavenly Sword "Episode Four: The Devine Birth" Anime video

# Folklore "Surviving the Netherworld" trailer

# Clive Barker's Jericho trailer

# Movie trailers for Beowulf and Bee Movie

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3162450

Now the same post in english. My PS3 arrive at 5 pm today. 11 hours after leaving the local UPS depot. Played the Gundam game for about 30 minutes of medium. Black Tri-stars took me out both times. Game is tougher than I expected. Looks good even on my standard tv. Went online with the PS3. That's where I'm starting to notice the tv screen size problem. Gotta order my for blu-ray movies soon.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I eventually turned the difficulty down on DWG. Because if you think Amuro's levels are tough, wait until you do Kamille's. I had Amuro's done before lunch, and thought that with the rest of the day, I'd have plenty of time to play through Official with two more pilots and get the Achievement. It took five or six attempts to finish Kamille's third mission, and another seven or eight to finish his final one.

The one good thing about failing in this game is that you keep any experience, both pilot and MS (but no parts) that you got before you were killed. So even when you lose, you can still get two or three pilot levels and the occasional MS level, and that is sometimes the extra power you need to win the next time.

Retarded question:

Okay I can go online with my PS3 but is it protected from viruses and the like. My computer is and both are using the same internet connection but is there a chance I could pick up something on the PS3 while surfing?

Retard Complaint:

Every psn name I want to use was taken. I wanted to be Roy or Roy Focker, etc. I didn't want to be Focker1 or RoyX. All the other name ideas I had were taken as well. Why can't I use the name of my choice?

Retarded question:

Okay I can go online with my PS3 but is it protected from viruses and the like. My computer is and both are using the same internet connection but is there a chance I could pick up something on the PS3 while surfing?

You should be fine. It's not that the PS3 has any special protection against viruses. It's more like how PC software doesn't work on a Mac (unless you have the Mac version, but that's still different). Viruses for Windows, which most of them are, don't work on anything but Windows. To infect a PS3, you'd need a virus written for the PS3... and even then, you can't run software on the PS3 that isn't digitally signed for it. If someone could figure out a way around that, you'd see SNES emulators before you'd see viruses.

Retard Complaint:

Every psn name I want to use was taken. I wanted to be Roy or Roy Focker, etc. I didn't want to be Focker1 or RoyX. All the other name ideas I had were taken as well. Why can't I use the name of my choice?

Because Roy and Roy Focker already signed up on PSN? BTW, if you eventually sign up and want to add me, my PSN ID is mikeszekely, same as here.

So I'm thinking about buying a Playstation 3. I've got 2 questions though:

First, is there any advantage from a hardware or accessories standpoint for getting the 80GB edition than the 60GB edition? Besides the extra 20GB?

Second, what are the best online capable games to get? Is DW gundam online capable? I'll only be getting one game for a while so I need something good, long, and that has replay value.

Thanks.

First, is there any advantage from a hardware or accessories standpoint for getting the 80GB edition than the 60GB edition? Besides the extra 20GB?

The extra 20g's is a joke. The only point of difference which to some, is a big one, is the presence of a special chip or piece of hardware that allows the 60gig version to play most if not all PS2 and PS1 (?) games. The 80gig unit no longer has the chip, rather software emulation to allow backwards compatability. It's cheaper for Sony that way, however there's a limit to the backwards compatability with the emulation. I believe you can download patches and whatnot to increase the 80's compatability buy why bother when you can just buy the '60 that comes ready to rock?

I'm in the same boat as you are-I wanna' buy but $500 is alot of coin. Another thing you might wanna' consider is the price itself. Why pay $600 for a PS3 when you can pay $500 and get an arguably better unit?

I beat Gundam with Amaro (maybe spelled that wrong) after making it to level two with Judau. I got my AZZ kicked playing Judau. Amaro's levels were easy enough. Now that I'm used to the whole "field" concept, it's not so bad. Only the space levels really tack on the annoying grids to the point that it bothers me some. Man! I wish I'd seen some other Gundam series besides just Wing. I have SOME idea of what's going on thanks to the debriefing screens, but still I feel like I've missed out on a lot of good anime. Oh man I can't wait for Dynasty Warriors 6! Oh, I found out Bladestorm is a strategy game?! I thought it was going to be just like Dynasty/Samurai Warriors, but with knights. What a let-down. Scratch that off my to-buy list.

Edit: I forgot to add, BioShock not coming to PS3 is just about making me go buy a *puke* xbox 360 again. I'd just upgrade my computer, but uhm, this motherboard has reached its limit to how good it can get. New computer... at least 1400 dollars. Xbox... 400 dollars. Damn.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Ouch

Lair 4.5 at gamespot. I wonder if its that bad :huh:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/lair/re...tml?sid=6178017

The Good

* Strong production values.

The Bad

* Abysmal controls and targeting are a constant struggle and crush every aspect of gameplay, from flight to combat

* The cinematic camera causes you to lose your bearings by zooming around every which way

* Timed mission objectives require too much precision

* Action is shallow and unrewarding.

take this for whats its worth

Report: Sony out of stock on US 60GB PS3

Dave Karraker reveals that inventory stores have dried up for $499 console; retailers have received their last shipments.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6177923.html?...estnews;title;3

Edited by dejr8bud

I beat Gundam with Amaro (maybe spelled that wrong) after making it to level two with Judau. I got my AZZ kicked playing Judau. Amaro's levels were easy enough. Now that I'm used to the whole "field" concept, it's not so bad. Only the space levels really tack on the annoying grids to the point that it bothers me some. Man! I wish I'd seen some other Gundam series besides just Wing. I have SOME idea of what's going on thanks to the debriefing screens, but still I feel like I've missed out on a lot of good anime. Oh man I can't wait for Dynasty Warriors 6! Oh, I found out Bladestorm is a strategy game?! I thought it was going to be just like Dynasty/Samurai Warriors, but with knights. What a let-down. Scratch that off my to-buy list.

Edit: I forgot to add, BioShock not coming to PS3 is just about making me go buy a *puke* xbox 360 again. I'd just upgrade my computer, but uhm, this motherboard has reached its limit to how good it can get. New computer... at least 1400 dollars. Xbox... 400 dollars. Damn.

The 20GB 360 is now $349 and the newer machines are coming with the HDMI port. As for Gundam, if all that you've seen was Gundam Wing, you've never really seen Gundam period! :D

That still means thousands and thousands sitting at BestBuy, Target, and Wal-Mart distribution centers, to go out to the individual stores when they run out.

I've seen some 60GB units left in stores locally this past week so they're still out there.

Plus the computer won't come with a three year warranty.

Got Warhawk today and after getting killed a whole bunch of times learning how to control myself, started to have alot of fun. Kinda wish there was the option for infantry only... guess I keep BF2 and RFoM around for that...

I think I may have to pass on Lair. All the bad hype surrounding it is making me wary of dropping 60 bucks. Of course, game mags probably think Dynasty Warriors Gundam sucks, and I love it. Maybe I'll rent it.

Considering how good Factor 5 games usually are, that's a shame.

Controls seem easy enough, very similar to fLOw which I found very intuitive and easy. Maybe the reviewer is just a ham-handed idiot.

2?

Yup my box had 2 earpieces. Don't ask me why but it did.

Considering how good Factor 5 games usually are, that's a shame.

Who said Factor 5 makes good games? Lair's the first game they've made in nearly ten years that wasn't Rogue Squadron (or Battle for Naboo, which is basically the same thing). And at the risk of sounding controversial, the Rogue Squadron games are nearly as over-rated as Final Fantasy VII. I think half the reason the series got the press it did was that the original was a damn fine looking game for the N64, and the other half is that it's Star Wars. If it weren't Star Wars, but some generic space shooter, everyone would be complaining about how hard it is to see what you're shooting and asking why, even if you can't get a target lock, the HUD doesn't at least mark enemies. We've got technology that can do that already on our fighter planes, and you tell me a collective civilization that can travel from one end of the galaxy to the other can't make a decent HUD?

Man! I wish I'd seen some other Gundam series besides just Wing. I have SOME idea of what's going on thanks to the debriefing screens, but still I feel like I've missed out on a lot of good anime.

Oh, you have. You really have. I mean, until SEED Destiny came along, I think Wing was probably the worst of the Gundam series. It's like the Reader's Digest version of the entire UC Gundam series from the original up to Char's Counterattack, except you replace the AEUG with whiny pacifist idealists and dysfunctional 14 year old shonen.

Ok...so I bought a 60GB system on Saturday from Best buy. Then Circuit city comes out with a 10% off any purchase over $199 good Through monday. Best buy refuses to pricematch. So now I gotta switch all my settings and redownload some demos before I take the other one back.. Freaking sucks.

Anyway is there a master list of all of the downloadable demos?

Is Warhawk worth the cash? Or should I get motorstorm?

Will bestbuy take back a techincally used system that has nothing wrong with it? You might have to just eat that $50.

I'm enjoying the demo games. It will save me even on renting games.

They'll take it back. I'm also enjoying the demos. Warhawk seems like a pretty good deal though. Can anybody tell me about this walmart deal for 2 headsets?