The All Things Video Games Thread!

There are times when I really hate living in this stupid country.....

Aliens Vs. Predator Hits Australia Ratings Roadblock, Rebellion Won't Make 'Sanitized' Version

Sega's Aliens vs. Predator reboot is too gory for Australia's ratings board, which has denied it classification, effectively blocking its release in the region.

The Rebellion-developed title offers too wide and detailed a range of violent gameplay, like dismemberment, neck-breaking and eye damage, the classification board told consumer website GameSpot.

Rebellion said in a statement sent to Gamasutra that it's "disappointed" in the board's decision, but added, "As we understand the law in that country, the authorities had no choice, as we agree strongly that our game is not suitable for game players who are not adults... it is bloody and frightening, that was our intent."

Australia lacks a rating for mature content, which often means that games that fall into that category don't get classified. And games without ratings can't be sold in the region, so developers of such games are often blocked from release without edits.

This is what we get for having no freedom of speech enshrined in our constitution and we have no Bill of Rights.

Taksraven

There are times when I really hate living in this stupid country.....

This is what we get for having no freedom of speech enshrined in our constitution and we have no Bill of Rights.

Taksraven

not to get into politics but seriously, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU'RE COUNTRY?!? I thought Australia was supposed to be such a chill, laid back country. :huh:

(I mean, things suck out here in commiefornia, but it's stuff like this that make me glad I'm here and not somewhere else)

Edited by anime52k8

not to get into politics but seriously, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU'RE COUNTRY?!? I thought Australia was supposed to be such a chill, laid back country. :huh:

(I mean, things suck out here in commiefornia, but it's stuff like this that make me glad I'm here and not somewhere else)

Problem is that 110 years ago when they were drafting our constitution, they did not consult the Americans, instead they brought in a bunch of Germans to write it......FFS.

The international image we have of a laid back, chill country is an absolute myth perpetuated by morons. Many Australians are very insecure, particularly in regard to how other countries see us. We have extremely conservative social attitudes, especially in regards to things like sex and, to a lesser extent, violence, and that is how it has been easy to maintain a system that regulates things like computer games so heavily. Even some of the GTA games have been banned here.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

As I understand things, their video game ratings board is one of the few major exceptions(though that part's really just an extension of what boils down to an office of media censorship that deeply disturbs me in general).

They also refuse to allow the Australian equivalent of an R/M/mature responsible adult rating for video games.

So if the game won't fly under a PG13/T/punk whippersnapper rating, they literally have no choice but to ban it. The game must be rated to be sold, and if they legally can't give it an appropriate rating...

yeah taks i know what you mean, wtf is with the censorships today? i mean a few years ago they let everything in now they are being anal. Im jsut going to import AvP if they do this,hopefully segas appeal will make them re-consider. I dont see how they let Dead Space avaliable when its graphic and has dismemberments,yet dont let AvP in? strange.

atleast its not as bad as germany.

yeah taks i know what you mean, wtf is with the censorships today? i mean a few years ago they let everything in now they are being anal. Im jsut going to import AvP if they do this,hopefully segas appeal will make them re-consider. I dont see how they let Dead Space avaliable when its graphic and has dismemberments,yet dont let AvP in? strange.

atleast its not as bad as germany.

Because it wasn't humans that were being graphicly dismembered.

While on the subject, did Austrailia ban Borderlands? I'm asking because with some of the weapons (the ones with the explosive element, at least) it's quite easy to dismember someone (seeing some bandit's head pop like a zit brings a somewhat warm and fuzzy feeling to my heart). The acid (I don't see why they call these weapons "caustic", that term is way on the other end of the ph scale) are even more fun to use, because I love seeing armored foes literally melt on the screen.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Did anyone enjoy Assassins' Creed 2? I loved the first, but I found the repetitive nature of some game elements to be somewhat annoying. This will be my "holiday break" game. I find the usage of historic characters from the Renaissance quite intriguing.

Did anyone enjoy Assassins' Creed 2? I loved the first, but I found the repetitive nature of some game elements to be somewhat annoying. This will be my "holiday break" game. I find the usage of historic characters from the Renaissance quite intriguing.
Yep. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I was worried it might be repetitive like the first, but luckily it's not. Apparently the developers said AC2 is the game they intended to make the first time out.

Any idea when the DSI LL will be released out of Japan.

If I recall, January. Also, it's gonna be the DSi XL in the US.

Nintendo's being fairly laid-back with the DSi over here, probably because there's still no really compelling reason to get it instead of a Lite.

Edit: First quarter 2010.

Edited by JB0

Because it wasn't humans that were being graphicly dismembered.

While on the subject, did Austrailia ban Borderlands? I'm asking because with some of the weapons (the ones with the explosive element, at least) it's quite easy to dismember someone (seeing some bandit's head pop like a zit brings a somewhat warm and fuzzy feeling to my heart). The acid (I don't see why they call these weapons "caustic", that term is way on the other end of the ph scale) are even more fun to use, because I love seeing armored foes literally melt on the screen.

yeah we got Borderlands,no problem,not even a word about that one is raised lol

what about dragon age? Did they censor that too?

and nope DragonAge didnt get censored,it got in no dramas aswell lol

They'd be stupid to make it Wii-only. The Wii is like the antithesis of old-school, hard-core gaming. And old-school gamers make up 100% of Megaman 10's prospective purchasers.

Ideally, I'd want it for (backward-compatible) PS3. It's where I've got my Mega Man 9, my Mega Man Anniversary Collection with the eight before that, my Mega Man X7 and X8, and my Mega Man X Collection.

Actually, I think Megaman would do well with a genre shift into FPS, a la Metroid Prime. If done well, it could be a lot of fun.

Although the Metroid Prime games were very good, I don't think I've ever disagreed with anyone more about anything in my life.