The All Things Video Games Thread!

Let me guess, you emptied a Steyr Aug magazine at a foe who was weilding one of those things.

I believe it was a SCAR-H with extended mag. we were playing ground war deathmatch on skidrow, and the other team decided to do all shields.

but it could be worse, I could be this guy:

Video games huh? I was into those back when Nintendo Entertainment System was out. I got one and had lots of games. I loved the Super Mario Bros. games, and I remember being really psyched about playing the WWII air combat game Sky Shark (it was such an andrenalin rush!)

Strangely enough - nowadays the only games I can get excited about are those old NES games on Emulators... seirously.... Mike Tyson's Punch out - I'm so there! I can't beat that frickin' Russian guy! 20 years and I still can't frickin' beat him!!! I do manage to sometimes beat that bull dude.

What else?...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - the original first game. Not the arcade game remade into a NES game. The original one - which was much harder and much more of a complex combat game...

Of the Mario games - my favorite is Mario II, even though I know (read) that it originally wasn't meant to be a Mario game which is why it's so different. But I really love it. The flying carpets, the later snow episodes.

Mario 3 was also cool with the flying ships and stuff.

Mario 1 is classic. Kind of dull and boring and easy - but classic.

The only "modern" games I played were 10 years ago ...was 10 years ago - in college, somebody had a playstation and we all played Soul Caliber and battled eachother instead of studying. It was cool.

Those were the days.

I would love to play a Haruhi Suzumiya game.

I'm sure there is one.

Where can I get it?

Pete

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - the original first game. Not the arcade game remade into a NES game. The original one - which was much harder and much more of a complex combat game...

For me, Turtles in Time ftw. :3

I would love to play a Haruhi Suzumiya game.

I'm sure there is one.

Where can I get it?

Pete

There are, on the Wii and the PSP (and soon the DS)

One of them you dance to.

Star Wars Mod + COD4 = Star Wars: Galactic Warfare

Something that came to my attention a few weeks ago. Looking forward to seeing further development. Too bad Lucasarts doesn't do good Star Wars FPS anymore.

it could be interesting, although I would be concerned about balance issues, also some of the in game animations need some work.

It just hit public beta, so at least it's not finalized. When I come back from the holidays I intend to give it a whirl. From what I gather on their website, they only recently got alot more attention, so hopefully that motivates the mod team to crank it up B))

So I just finished Dragon Age. Overall I give my playthrough of the game an 8.5/10. It had the usual BioWare golden standards of storytelling and character interaction, but lost some points in places like The Fade and Orzemmar, which are little more than dungeon-crawlers and virtually no role-playing aspects. Will I play through it again? Probably not all the way, but I'll probably play through each of the seperate origin stories to see how they turn out ^_^

I remember the TMNT arcade game, a classic side-scrolling-beat-em-up! Get with some others for some 4 player mayhem!

It was another of Konami's cookie-cutter 4-player brawlers ala X-Men, Simpsons, etc...

Edited by Wanzerfan

I just grinded through Assassin's Creed II the past few days and loved it. Per a few previous threads, I'm not a really big fan of non-evolutionary human origin theories, which plays a heavy role in the plot, but ACII with its colorful cast of Renaissance characters and history presents everything in a tasteful enough manner that I ended up enjoying it.

One negative about the game is that combat-wise, Ezio is just too overpowered. Also, the Italian accent English is a bit ridiculous imo, they should have just have Ezio's voice actor speak in the actor's normal voice. Altair never spoke with a strong ME accent in the first game, and although the VA's were different, it conveyed the impression that Altair simply sounded like a more confident and badass version of Desmond... in my next playthrough think I'm going to with Italian/English-subs :) .

It was another of Konami's cookie-cutter 4-player brawlers ala X-Men, Simpsons, etc...

But I don't remember them as fondly as TMNT though. :)

Each one has their unique touches really, although I admit they do play the same.

Edited by shiroikaze

I still have my SNES cart for Turtles in Time and I actually played it again like a week ago. The level names have stuck in my head after all these years, if only I could remember actually important information as easily.

They should really do more modern games in this style but maybe 2D with 3D backgrounds. They're a lot of fun with friends and help break up the monotony of FPSs and MMOs.

...Final Fantasy VII remake?

I really hope not. FFVII was a mediocre RPG with an incomprehensible plot famous for its bishounen villain killing a girl I never had in my party anyway (I took Tifa with me on the Golden Saucer date) and CGI cutscenes that were impressive at the time. I'd be much more interested in Kingdom Hearts 3.

The logical conclusion would be Final Fantasy VII remake. It could really use it given the terrible early-3D mish mash graphics and terrible translation ("This guy are sick!"). Though it could just as easily be Kingdom Hearts 3.

The World Ends With You 2 would be what I'd want if I could specifically request anything from Nomura and Friends at Squeenix.

Edited by Aladdin Sane

In Modern Warfare 2 news...

I made Leuitennant Colnel in online multiplayer!

I also completely got everything for the Aug (my favorite weapon so far in the franchise; lord, does Steyr make excellent weapons).

And on the Borderlands front, "The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned" is rather entertaining as well; just don't start the thing with 1st. level characters, or you will get your ass handed to you on a silver platter (it's designed to be played right after you beat the game and tie up all loose ends in the first playthough).

Edited by Wanzerfan

Yep, I'm more into retro/ classic gaming.

I used to be like you, but I absolutely love the drama and the tears that come with online gaming. I have played FFXI, EVE Online, and WoW (for a short time), and I can honestly say that seeing people screwing and cheating each other off, stealing, ganking, and other nefarious modes of behavior provides hours without end of entertainment for me.

I have not logged into EVE in a few months due to work and school but as far as MMO's go, but its players are notorious for "bad behavior" :p .

Instead of a scripted story, I craft my own drama that is up to par to a soap opera or a really good episode of RDM BSG.

And yea... I'll definitely play the EVE MMOFPS when it comes out. I was in the Caldari militia for faction warfare, so I hope we can continue to do battle on the ground against those Gallente hypocrites :) .

Considering I avoid DLC solely based on principle (singstar being an exception) I look forward to a possible retail expansion of DAO. My game play calender is starting to get kind of crowded though.
I can relate. Trying to beat Mass Effect 1 before the second one comes out while levelling up my Modern Warfare 2 profile does take up a lot of time.

At least BioWare is doing for DAO what it had promised for Mass Effect: expanding the story with DLC/extra content. In most of the pre-release hype for ME we were hammered with the DLC gimmick and it basically didn't arise. It's good that they can learn from their mistakes.