The All Things Video Games Thread!

After three weeks of waiting from the time I got the shipping notice, I finally got my copy of Gundam Battle Universe from PlayAsia. Now, it's the Gundam 30th Anniversary PSP the Best version. It really doesn't blend well with the rest of my PSP collection. Does anyone have a decent scan of the regular-edition cover (front, back, and spine)? I was kind of hoping to print up a new cover, and maybe replace the Japanese text on the spine with English.

A scan of Macross Ultimate Frontier would be nice, too. It doesn't clash the way GBU does, but I'd still like to print a new cover for it with English text on the spine. It's all about consistency for me. That, or OCD.

Finally noticed they have all of X-Com on steam.. Swooped on that like nobodies business since when I had one of the collections before I could never get it to run properly. Now I get to relive how hard these games are/were :lol:

"Total Fistbump Destruction" to be had next week!

But oh so true.

OMG finally got my first tactical nuke! woohoo

im doing the happy dance lol

:lol:

What that really means is "I don't want to play this particular map anymore and I want to f*ck over everyone on the other team." I've been a recipient of that "honor" twice :angry: . There's only one thing you can do when you see that nuclear symbol in the upper left hand corner of your screen: bend over, grab your knees, and kiss your ass goodbye.

Finally noticed they have all of X-Com on steam.. Swooped on that like nobodies business since when I had one of the collections before I could never get it to run properly. Now I get to relive how hard these games are/were :lol:

X-Com, when a Terror Alert actually meant something.

X-Com, when a Terror Alert actually meant something.

Yes, f*ck Chryssalids! to a lesser extent f*ck Ethereals until I have Psi training.

I'm only on Veteran difficulty (which I guess is normal?) and it can still be a major pain.

What that really means is "I don't want to play this particular map anymore and I want to f*ck over everyone on the other team." I've been a recipient of that "honor" twice :angry: . There's only one thing you can do when you see that nuclear symbol in the upper left hand corner of your screen: bend over, grab your knees, and kiss your ass goodbye.

what's funny is if you know you're the host, just exit to the dashboard. Match ends, the game can't migrate host, and mister asshat gets boned out of his bullshit nuke. ^_^

I don't use tactical nuke on principle (same reason I don't use duel 1887's) but I do like to use a harrier/chopper gunner combo for my kill streaks just to freak people out (as that's the standard cheap ass way of getting tactical nuke)

and since where on the subject of MW2, I unlocked the M21 EBR (again) and started using it for the first time; Holly poo is it awesome. it took me all of 3 matches to get silencer, heartbeat sensor, ACOG, and thermal. (M21+ACOG+stoping power=unbelievable win). I also got my first AC130 call in that wasn't from a care package. ^_^

How did we miss this?

Gundam Assault Survive

While "Battle" has been dropped from the title and the HUD has changed this is supposedly an Artdink-developed game in the Gundam Battle series. Famitsu specifically mentions 00, SEED, F91, and Victory, but MS from original Gundam and Zeta are in the screenshots. Also, if I'm understanding a Famitsu scan correctly, it looks like you get two partners now.

Game's due for release March 18th in Japan.

EDIT: The Official Site is up. And at the top, it looks like there's campaigns for 0079, 0083, 0087, 0093, 0088, 0123, SEED, 00, and Extra. All the Victory MS look like they're from the "Extra" campaign, which means we have to wait another year for a sequel that rehashes most of this game but adds a proper campaigns for Unicorn, Victory, Wing, X, and extra missions from Turn A and G.

Edited by mikeszekely

I noticed it a while ago but I'm not really interested in the AU series being mixed with UC so meh.

For me, I loved the Gundam Battle games, so if this is the next "sequel," then I'm going to be interested no matter what. I'm not really interested in seeing the AU and the UC mixed either (ala Gundam Vs. Gundam Next+), but I don't mind them in their own campaigns. If SEED and 00 have their own campaigns, and if Assault Survive is anything like the previous Battle games, you'll likely have to finish all of the campaigns with the MS from that series until you finish all the campaigns. My only real complaint is that I'm tired of them adding one official UC campaign to each sequel... just get it over with and make one Gundam Battle game with campaigns for all of it already.

I fail to see why people continue to support the AC franchise after Zero. It's always the same damm rehashed story over and over again just with different countries. It would be cool to see a more original story, perhaps a love triangle or rectangle thrown in there somewhere :p ?

Granted the multiplayer in recent iterations is a fresh addition.

I fail to see why people continue to support the AC franchise after Zero. It's always the same damm rehashed story over and over again just with different countries. It would be cool to see a more original story, perhaps a love triangle or rectangle thrown in there somewhere :p ?

Granted the multiplayer in recent iterations is a fresh addition.

Because we care more about flying in tunnels and attacking super weapons than story.

I like 5 the best as well. It also had the best trench sequence imo. A bit frustrating given how long the sequence is, but I jumped off my chair when I did it.

The trench for Zero was sort of contrived, and there really wasn't a "real trench fly-in" for AC6 <_<. The stupid canyon mission doesn't count, they are too short to be considered classic trenches.

I still like 5 the best. Then 4. Then Zero, then 6.

You'll get no arguments from me.

But I guess my point is that I've played them all since 2 (except the GBA and iPhone Ace Combat games), and I really enjoyed them all. So I'm looking forward to the new PSP game instead of complaining about how they're all the same.

I never got to play 4, so I think 5 is my favourite overall but 0 has my all-time favourite Ace Combat level, where theres this massive furball taking place that you just dive right into and end virtually single-handedly because you are just that awesome. :lol:

The thing about the Ace Combat combat series is that if you don't get it, you probably never will. But if you do... they bear as much resemblance to real air combat as Star Wars did to actual space flight, but they also do what what Star Wars did - they just feel right.

4's furball was better IMHO---it was the inspiration for 5's. 4's had SR-71s thrown in the mix---big bonus if you can snag one. It certainly SEEMED more impressive at the time, since it was new. But if 5 was the first time you saw such a thing...

X-Com? I am otw!

I loved this franchise (most of it). Very few strategy games, especially squad based ones, are as good as X-Com. And that game is about 15 years old. I wonder if it works on Vista. Will see when I get back.

I'm now playing Assassin's Creed 2 on the PS3, and I have to say it is an improvement on the original. You no longer have to go to a previous memory to collect flags. I'm right now about to go to Tuscany (I think that's the next city after training in the villa) after buying a few paintings in Florence. Fun game so far.

X-Com? I am otw!

I loved this franchise (most of it). Very few strategy games, especially squad based ones, are as good as X-Com. And that game is about 15 years old. I wonder if it works on Vista. Will see when I get back.

I wish I could say I knew but I'm running XP still.

Really I bought the package for UFO Defense and TFTD. Apocalypse is alright but the others I've heard are terrible (never played them).

Had to restart TFTD once already because of the MC research glitch. Not sure what else I'd compare X-Com to in videogaming. Standard turn based tactical rpgs generally aren't as involved, although I have a few consoles ones I'm fairly fond of.

I wish I could say I knew but I'm running XP still.

Really I bought the package for UFO Defense and TFTD. Apocalypse is alright but the others I've heard are terrible (never played them).

Had to restart TFTD once already because of the MC research glitch. Not sure what else I'd compare X-Com to in videogaming. Standard turn based tactical rpgs generally aren't as involved, although I have a few consoles ones I'm fairly fond of.

I got X-Com Apocalypse running via Steam. Before, I've NEVER been able to get my original Apocalypse to run on my XP and later rigs. I know the original X-Com UFO Def. works fine in Vista.

X-Com? I am otw!

Ah, yes, X-com. I love PSI. Especially PSI abuse... by me. Find one alien, PSI him, get him to find the next alien... You get the idea. Of course, when I first encountered PSI way back in the early 90's... I freaked out, badly, as my soldiers would turn around and shoot my guys...

And in the shadow of the news of the PSP getting a new Ace Combat, ...

there is still no ace combat for the ps3! <_<

At this point in time, I'll even settle for a hd 're-master' a la God of War 1/2 just to have some sort of Ace Combat on the PS3. HAWX just doesn't come close.

Heck, even a PSN download of AC1-3 would be better than nothing!

anyone else trying out the star trek online beta?

I really want to, but I can't find a beta key short of pre-ordering the game, and I don't want to preorder the game because I've never played an MMO that I liked.

I'd certainly do a beta if I didn't have to pre-order. Though honestly, the main thing I don't like about the game so far:

Lack of major/famous ships. When I first read about the various "groupings" (cruiser, explorer, etc), and the progression---in about 5 secs I had thought up an awesome fleet covering from TOS through DS9. And when the actual ship list came out---almost NONE of them were there. How the hell do you not put the Excelsior class in the game? Or Nebula? They were the backbone of the fleets for a while. Certainly the most common "not the Enterprise" ship you'd see of their respective generations.

Why on earth are there a zillion made-up classes, and very few of the well-known, seen-in-multiple-episodes ones? I mean, that'd be like making a Star Wars game, and inventing many new force powers and weapons, but leaving out blaster pistols and force lightning.

No Excelsior=no purchase. Period. I will not play without that ship.

I'd certainly do a beta if I didn't have to pre-order. Though honestly, the main thing I don't like about the game so far:

Lack of major/famous ships. When I first read about the various "groupings" (cruiser, explorer, etc), and the progression---in about 5 secs I had thought up an awesome fleet covering from TOS through DS9. And when the actual ship list came out---almost NONE of them were there. How the hell do you not put the Excelsior class in the game? Or Nebula? They were the backbone of the fleets for a while. Certainly the most common "not the Enterprise" ship you'd see of their respective generations.

Why on earth are there a zillion made-up classes, and very few of the well-known, seen-in-multiple-episodes ones? I mean, that'd be like making a Star Wars game, and inventing many new force powers and weapons, but leaving out blaster pistols and force lightning.

No Excelsior=no purchase. Period. I will not play without that ship.

Because canonically this game takes place several years after Nemesis. Newer classes like the Sovereign are still tooling around, sure, but older ships like the Excelsior and the Miranda would both have been in service for over 100 years.

Heck, looking at the lines on both ships, the Sovereign like is the Excelsior's replacement.

The crap ton of fictional classes really doesn't bother me. Almost every one of them are a updated take on an older class (ex, the Excalibur is a homage to the Constitution).

I'm not that impressed so far. Maybe it's just because I don't know anyone else playing but so far I haven't really seen why this game needs to be an MMO to begin with.

I've been playing since last night and I rather like it. It's different from other MMOs I've played but I just love geeking out in the Trekverse. The combat feels like Trek and the whole game kind of reminds of ST: Legacy...only what Legacy should have been.

I have a few friends that are in the open beta as well, but haven't played with them yet. That being said I've been in groups for missions and fleet actions so far and it's a lot of fun.

David, There are classic ship classes with classic components available. I'm not really sure about Excelsior (though I know it isn't listed) but they DO have the Centaur as one of the starter configurations....so they are already half way to an Excelsior anyways. Also seeing as it's an mmo, adding additional ships even if just to appease a fan base would be fairly simple I would think. At least we still get Constitution, Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant and Sovereign classes at launch.

That all being said...I wish we got Excelsior as well.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

It will be fun to see which ships are decidedly overpowered for their class, say it's the Sovereign, and soon you'll see like hundreds of Sovereigns flying around your system... after the much needed balancing patch, the Sovereign will suck, and everyone will be like,

"OMG WHY Th3y GIMP MY FAV SHIP!!?!!1!!! DIS IS NOT FAIR WTF! I'm GOING B4Ck t0 W0W, CYA!"

That's another thing that irks me--stuff like the Centaur. Those were half-assed kit-bashed designs both FX-wise and canonically. Yet they're in, and not the classes they were derived from. I'm surprised we don't have Yeager class instead of Intrepid...