The All Things Video Games Thread!

Sony making a universal controller, huh? I'm still shocked that the Atari Jaguar and some other obscure consoles were mentioned by name... :blink:

http://kotaku.com/5475448/sony-files-paten...ne=true&s=i

It's an interesting idea, and one I'd really like to get behind, but it seems like there's a lot of hurdles to overcome. For instance, will it be wired or wireless? If it's wired, is it going to have plugs for USB, PlayStation, SNES, NES, etc consoles? If it's wireless, how do they plan to get around Microsoft's encryption for the the 360? Or how do they expect it to work with older consoles? How about the differences in buttons? Their patent drawing seems to indicate that it would have an LCD, but I'm not sure that an LCD would have enough tactile feedback. Would it support the PS3 and Wii's motion controls? If yes, would it have support for the various Wiimote attachments? Or would stuff like the Wii Motion Plus be built into it?

Oh boy,

finally another thread I would love to join in on :)

How many remember Friday the 13th for old NES? Not as good as Contra or Castlevanias but I loved that game because it had its moments that made me laugh for example when in the canoe how many remember how fast Jason moved in the pond at almost neck breaking speeds? It was annoying at times because he would do that 2-4 times in a row with that jarring music.But I could not help but laugh it off.

My next trip down Game memory lane will be Shadow Tower for PS1 and the The Thing for PS2

Game on fellow gamers :)

Pete

It's an interesting idea, and one I'd really like to get behind, but it seems like there's a lot of hurdles to overcome. For instance, will it be wired or wireless? If it's wired, is it going to have plugs for USB, PlayStation, SNES, NES, etc consoles? If it's wireless, how do they plan to get around Microsoft's encryption for the the 360? Or how do they expect it to work with older consoles? How about the differences in buttons? Their patent drawing seems to indicate that it would have an LCD, but I'm not sure that an LCD would have enough tactile feedback. Would it support the PS3 and Wii's motion controls? If yes, would it have support for the various Wiimote attachments? Or would stuff like the Wii Motion Plus be built into it?

I can say from experience that your hunch is correct--touch controls suck for at least 85% of video games. This is why the iPhone/iPod Touch still can't replace a dedicated handheld. It's not the horsepower, but the interface that makes things so difficult. On my iPhone, I couldn't even get past the first zone in Sonic the Hedgehog. Touch controls are so bad they can make the d-pad on a 360 controller feel like the Saturn's. :( If Sony can somehow pull it off though, then more power to them.

Sony making a universal controller, huh?

I don't see this product ever being made. Like you guys said, touch-screen controls are inadequate for most console games. Second, they would need to pay Microsoft a licensing fee in order for it to work on the 360. This, combined with the touch-screen technology, would push the controller beyond astronomical costs.

Poor Controls + High Pricetag = Bust

I'm still shocked that the Atari Jaguar and some other obscure consoles were mentioned by name... :blink:

I think the controller would be Windows compatible, so it could work with the emulators for all those classic systems. I highly doubt it would come with physical adapters for all those systems. The amount on necessary cables would be enough to fill a shoebox.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

I think the controller would be Windows compatible, so it could work with the emulators for all those classic systems. I highly doubt it would come with physical adapters for all those systems. The amount on necessary cables would be enough to fill a shoebox.

Once again, I'm still shocked they mentioned the Atari Jaguar by name. I mean, how many good, exclusive games does the Jaguar have--excluding an obvious AVP? Either way, making you buy over-priced cables from Sony would probably be quite lucrative. :p

Edited by VT 1010

Sony making a universal controller, huh? I'm still shocked that the Atari Jaguar and some other obscure consoles were mentioned by name... :blink:

Why this idea all of sudden, shouldn’t they thought of this idea years ago and are they also thinking of making a universal console, like the 3DO manufactured by several electronic back in the 90s . If you look are looking today for a universal game pad or console you have the PC and the USB game pad convertors. Remember the touch pad for the GENESIS and SNES !

Why this idea all of sudden, shouldn't they thought of this idea years ago

They did.

I own a joystick that works on GameCube, PS2, and XBox.

I MAY own a gamepad that works on SNES and Genesis. I'd have to dig through teh great box o' junk.

Remember the touch pad for the GENESIS and SNES !

What, the TurboTouch 360? I grabbed one of those once because it was a buck.

It actually had DIFFERENT problems. The slider area had ridges, so you got tactile feedback.

But the technology it used was too primitive to be reliable, and it gave all sorts of flaky responses(as near as I can tell, it actually picked up fingertips resting on the underside of the pad as well as on top of it).

Though the capacitive sensors it used WERE a primitive version of the trackpads on modern laptops and capacitive touchscreens(but not pressure-sensitive touchscreens).

If you look are looking today for a universal game pad or console you have the PC and the USB game pad convertors.

Yeah, I have one for the original Xbox, one or two for the PS2, one for the SNES, and I know I could easily get one for the NES if I wanted. Hell of a time finding one for Saturn or Genesis/Megadrive controllers.

Yeah, I have one for the original Xbox, one or two for the PS2, one for the SNES, and I know I could easily get one for the NES if I wanted. Hell of a time finding one for Saturn or Genesis/Megadrive controllers.

I used to have a NGC,DC & PS2 all in one USB adaptor but it didn't last due to its cheap QC. Now I own a single PS2 USB adaptor, very good QC, which works fine and I use on it the PS2-Saturn pad.

I have news on the Modern Warfare 2 front.

I finally made prestige class!!!

I have to rebuild my custom classes, but it's a small price to pay.

I'm at rank 37 2nd prestige :p , haven't been playing much though since I got bioshock 2.

Are we going to need a dedicated FF 13 thread?

PS--still annoyed at lack of pre-order goodies, or even how lame the collector's edition is. Square really didn't do much in that category. Art cards and art books that are little more than "all the standard CG renders you've seen for the past 2 years" are worth pretty much zilch IMHO, and are the laziest "bonus" that can be made. And the infamous "composer's choice selections" soundtracks almost always suck in my experience---somehow you still get saddled with "died", "sleeping at an inn" and "overworld menu screen", and never "frantic boss fight" and "final boss fight".

yes, please do make an FF 13 thread. just so this thread doesn't get fouled with it's stale blandness. :p

Heh.

Seriously though, IIRC the Japanese release had English language options. I remember several of the board members importing it and discussing it in the PS3 thread at the time. Given that a lot of FF fans went PS3, and the percentage of PS3 fans on this board seems to be a bit higher than the general populace, I expect that most of the FFXIII discussion will just take place in the PS3 thread.

I thought so too, but some may place it here since it's multi-platform, and some discussion may be in the 360 thread. Unless like 95% of MW'ers are getting it for PS3. (I am, despite getting my avatar-chocobo for 360---is there one for Home?)

I thought so too, but some may place it here since it's multi-platform, and some discussion may be in the 360 thread. Unless like 95% of MW'ers are getting it for PS3. (I am, despite getting my avatar-chocobo for 360---is there one for Home?)

I'm just guessing, but I suspect that 95% of MW'ers are getting it for PS3. I mean, between Achievements and the fact that most multiplatform games wind up better on the 360, my inclination is usually to go with the 360 version now. Like, the 360 is a box for gaming and the PS3, which I actually use more, is a box for media. I'm holding off for more reviews (and maybe a demo) before I buy either version, but even if I get it for the 360, I figured I'll swing by the PS3 thread if I want to talk about it.

I'm just guessing, but I suspect that 95% of MW'ers are getting it for PS3. I mean, between Achievements and the fact that most multiplatform games wind up better on the 360, my inclination is usually to go with the 360 version now.

That's true of games developed with the 360 as a lead platform, but this was a quick port to the 360 so I doubt it will be "better" on 360. Multiple discs, compressed audio, lower res cutscenes, and a lower res in game so far are kinda pointing this one towards PS3. Square released a few 360 shots awhile back, and though they look similar enough, the 360 version has weird hair dithering. Doubt you'd notice it in motion but we'll see.

I think this will be the first multi platform title to outperform the 360 version in sales two to one. Mostly because I doubt this is a 360 gamer's type of game.

...Art cards and art books that are little more than "all the standard CG renders you've seen for the past 2 years" are worth pretty much zilch IMHO, and are the laziest "bonus" that can be made. And the infamous "composer's choice selections" soundtracks almost always suck in my experience---somehow you still get saddled with "died", "sleeping at an inn" and "overworld menu screen", and never "frantic boss fight" and "final boss fight".

Truth.

I was pretty let down when I preordered MGS4 from Gamestop, expecting an artbook and got a lousy pamphlet instead. Not to mention, I dispise digital "artbooks".

Prince of the Persia was probably the worst of them all, when it came to bonuses. They advertised a bundled soundtrack. What we got was a DVD containing select tracks playing through a slideshow...

Edited by shiroikaze

That's true of games developed with the 360 as a lead platform, but this was a quick port to the 360 so I doubt it will be "better" on 360. Multiple discs, compressed audio, lower res cutscenes, and a lower res in game so far are kinda pointing this one towards PS3. Square released a few 360 shots awhile back, and though they look similar enough, the 360 version has weird hair dithering. Doubt you'd notice it in motion but we'll see.

I think this will be the first multi platform title to outperform the 360 version in sales two to one. Mostly because I doubt this is a 360 gamer's type of game.

Yeah, I'm not claiming that the 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII will be better, nor am I claiming that the 360 version is always better. Just that it happens often enough that, combined with a few other reasons, I feel like I've been conditioned to favor the 360 for gaming and the PS3 for media.

As far as sales go, I do think FFXIII will do well on the PS3 mostly because I think that a lot of FF fans had already adopted the PS3 as their platform of choice since it was first announced for the PS3 before the console was even available (some of these people would be the same people who wailed about how Squeenix "betrayed" them when FFXIII was announced for the 360, because heaven forbid a series you like reach a wider audience). I don't know that it's really fair to say that an Xbox 360 gamer is a certain type of gamer. The 360 has had plenty of JRPGs, and games like Resistance and Killzone have done well enough for the PS3. I rather think that in the past few years there's been a trend away from Japanese games in general. That's not to say that there haven't been Japanese games, or hit Japanese games, being released. But when you look back at some of the biggest titles in the last few years (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Call of Duty, Portal, Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, God of War, etc) they come out of Western studios.

Yeah, I'm not claiming that the 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII will be better, nor am I claiming that the 360 version is always better. Just that it happens often enough that, combined with a few other reasons, I feel like I've been conditioned to favor the 360 for gaming and the PS3 for media.

As far as sales go, I do think FFXIII will do well on the PS3 mostly because I think that a lot of FF fans had already adopted the PS3 as their platform of choice since it was first announced for the PS3 before the console was even available (some of these people would be the same people who wailed about how Squeenix "betrayed" them when FFXIII was announced for the 360, because heaven forbid a series you like reach a wider audience). I don't know that it's really fair to say that an Xbox 360 gamer is a certain type of gamer. The 360 has had plenty of JRPGs, and games like Resistance and Killzone have done well enough for the PS3. I rather think that in the past few years there's been a trend away from Japanese games in general. That's not to say that there haven't been Japanese games, or hit Japanese games, being released. But when you look back at some of the biggest titles in the last few years (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Call of Duty, Portal, Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, God of War, etc) they come out of Western studios.

I'll stick to the notion that most 360 only owners are "certain types" of gamers, just as PS3 only, and Wii only owners tend to have a certain stereotype. As much as I hate to admit it, most gamers on average do fall into one particular camp.

Yeah, Western studios are now pretty much tops in console development. For every Japanese console game you'll see a dozen DS, PSP, and mobile games in Japan now and I don't see the trend changing.

I thought it was pretty clear-cut that the PS3 version is noticeably superior at least graphically, based on the fallout from "screenshotgate". Plus cut-scenes etc.
Another plus for the PS3 version is that it will be released on a single Blu-Ray disk. How many disks will the X-Box 360 have? Two, maybe three?

Not a double post.

I have news on the Borderlands front.

The new patch will fix several issues including wiping your modded weapons.

You can get the info here

Awwww...

Not that I ever DID mod weapons, but it seemed like the most potentially entertaining part of the game, spoiled only by the lack of restrictions on doing it outside the game.

I think they should've gone the other way, and introduced a Parasite Eve-style weapons modding system in-game. Let you break guns down into their component parts and reassemble them into new guns.

Especially after I had a worthless sniper rifle with a great scope and an awesome sniper rifle with no scope sitting in my inventory at the same time.

*looks around*

Oh, hey. They fixed the shadow glitch earlier this month. Maybe I should play the game again.

Edited by JB0

Darn it... this post could be both in the "All things VG" and "Computer" thread, but will post it here for sanity sakes.

Just received an email this morning from Nvdias "SLI Club", and they are giving away free copies of "Dark Void" for being a member.

Don't know if you will receive the same email if you join now, but here's proof with my email receipt, please see attached PDF.

The game is ok, just use a gamepad during the flying missions, and ofcourse the mouse during your ground battles.

DarkVoid1.pdf

Edited by Dangaioh

Okay, I have a question regarding a game that came out a few years ago.

We have the PS3 version of the Game of the Year Edition of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblibvion at the house. I know it comes with Shivering Isles, but does it come with the following plug-ins?

• "Uneartihing Mehrunes Razor"

"The Orrery"

"The Wizard's Tower"

"Dunbarrow Cove"

"Vile Lair"

"Horse Armor"

I just want to know, because the only thing in the PSN Store for downloadable content for Oblivion is Shivering Isles, which, as I stated before, is on the disk.

What no talk of MegaMan 10 yet? I was going to get it for Wii again, but I want to keep my hacks on it so I'll probably get it for PS3 at the end of a week.

I think you just answered your own question. Like yourself, I'm holding out for the PS3 version.