The All Things Video Games Thread!

you do realize that MW2 DOESN'T have infinitely spawning enemies, right? :rolleyes:

Also, if you actually THINK about where you're going, you can come up with some pretty novel ways of getting around firefights, instead of just running into bottle necks and dieing over and over. and it's still a better story than halo, so there you go. ^_^

Actually, it does. I stayed and sat around in the bottleneck areas just to test it. There's several spawn points in the brazil slum. It's not as bad as in MW where they just kept jumping down from ledges but they still do just pop up. The baddies also spawn depending on where you are. There's several points where they're hiding behind doors or windows but you can't shoot them until you've crossed a magic line on the map and then they can take damage. This also happens during some of the myriad "breach" sequences. I put an entire clip into a guy's head and he wouldn't go down until after a few moments when suddenly the "can take damage" switch was thrown.

As for going around firefights... yes, there's a few instances where you can do, as long as you go far enough to reach another "safe zone" where the game stops spawning baddies magically behind you or plopping them down magically on some rooftop where they magically know exactly where you are even though they no line of sight.

Actually, the plot to this game pretty much is the plot to Halo, so there you go. ^_^

Well, I'm now finally playing Persona 3 FES (which arrived early, thank you Amazon.com) and was pleseantly suprised to hear a few vocal actors.

Dan Woren as Igor and Ikutsuki Shuji and the actor who did Vayne Aurelius in Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis as Sanada Akihiko. I hope to hear more recognizable actors the further I play.

Why when they localize Japanese games the companies don't give the names of the Japanese characters in proper order (clan name first, given name second) is beyond me. The only localized game I've come across so far that gets it right was Front Mission 3.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Actually, it does. I stayed and sat around in the bottleneck areas just to test it. There's several spawn points in the brazil slum. It's not as bad as in MW where they just kept jumping down from ledges but they still do just pop up. The baddies also spawn depending on where you are. There's several points where they're hiding behind doors or windows but you can't shoot them until you've crossed a magic line on the map and then they can take damage. This also happens during some of the myriad "breach" sequences. I put an entire magazine into a guy's head and he wouldn't go down until after a few moments when suddenly the "can take damage" switch was thrown.

As for going around firefights... yes, there's a few instances where you can do, as long as you go far enough to reach another "safe zone" where the game stops spawning baddies magically behind you or plopping them down magically on some rooftop where they magically know exactly where you are even though they no line of sight.

Actually, the plot to this game pretty much is the plot to Halo, so there you go. ^_^

I can't handle when people say "clip". Movies get it wrong today too. It's not a "clip". It's a magazine. There's a difference. B))

If you compare with modern warfare now it is sh*t. But back then when people were still playing quake 1 it was very good.

Nah, I wouldn't say that. Modern Warfare is like a totally different beast.

I can't handle when people say "clip". Movies get it wrong today too. It's not a "clip". It's a magazine. There's a difference. B))

You can partly blame counter-strike for that too. :rolleyes:

Edited by shiroikaze

Sorry, I emptied a full magazine into some guy's head and it did nothing until the magic arbitrary kill switch was flipped. better? ^_^

no it doesn't, every level has a fixed number of enemies. if you kill a guy, he stays dead and he's never replaced.

also, belated "clip" vs. magazine RAGE. :angry:

just read the player forums, everyone has noticed they still spawn enemies. The game designers only said they were working on fixing the problem, not that they eliminated it. That deduction came from fanboy writers.

I know for certain they still spawn, because if you backtrack they magically re-appear again. As you hit certain areas they stop spawning enemies but until you do, they just magically appear on rooftops, in closed rooms, etc. Not on every map but in Brazil... yes, they spawn.

So started playing AC2; Its pretty good. It starts very slowly, taking awhile to build its momentum. 2 Hours of play, and i have only been in the Assassins gear about 20minutes. im at the point now where I have enough to start doing some side missions i think and wandering around. The gameplay is much more varied, and the city looks and feels great. being able to blend with moving foot traffic or go over the rooftops adds a lot of variety to the game.

So far I like it way more than the first one :) and I liked the first one!

it seems like mw2 focused on the mulitplayer part and added in a campaign mode. not complaining though.

yeah, multiplayer wise it's a huge improvement over the already excellent MW. The new player spawn system works much better, challenge tree and leveling system is much more forgiving for beginner and casual players, the initial maps are nice and diverse... I've heard more than a few people complain about weapon balance but I haven't really seen an uber weapon myself.

ODST has the enemies with that same crazy spatial awareness. Which is ironic because the game has no radar and you're supposed to be able to sneak around in a lot of parts instead of fighting. It's a problem basically every FPS has ever had and probably always will but it's annoying as hell.

Oh my complaining about the difference between clips and mags on an anime forum :lol: It's not like it matters unless someone try's to put a "clip" in a "mag" well. Everyone knows what you mean anyway. gb2 /k/ B))

ODST has the enemies with that same crazy spatial awareness. Which is ironic because the game has no radar and you're supposed to be able to sneak around in a lot of parts instead of fighting. It's a problem basically every FPS has ever had and probably always will but it's annoying as hell.

Oh my complaining about the difference between clips and mags on an anime forum :lol: It's not like it matters unless someone try's to put a "clip" in a "mag" well. Everyone knows what you mean anyway. gb2 /k/ B))

True, but in ODST they don't start shooting at you until they actually have a LOS on you. I can think of a handful of the city maps where you enter and there's patrols but they don't all just turn around and start shooting you because it's scripted that way. And the baddies in ODST don't stop chasing you because there's some imaginary do not cross line in the middle of the map. I've had hunters chase me indoors, up the stairs and back out again. You just don't see AI like that in MW2. The baddies spawn, run to their predetermined position and start firing and in some instances, don't take any damage *until* they reach their mark. And that's really the problem with MW, that in order to make for a more cinematic sequence too many of them are heavily scripted.

So started playing AC2; Its pretty good. It starts very slowly, taking awhile to build its momentum. 2 Hours of play, and i have only been in the Assassins gear about 20minutes. im at the point now where I have enough to start doing some side missions i think and wandering around. The gameplay is much more varied, and the city looks and feels great. being able to blend with moving foot traffic or go over the rooftops adds a lot of variety to the game.

So far I like it way more than the first one :) and I liked the first one!

Are you talking about Armored Core 2, Ace Combat 2, or some other game altogether? Because as you can see, there are mutiple games that fall under those initials.

Are you talking about Armored Core 2, Ace Combat 2, or some other game altogether? Because as you can see, there are mutiple games that fall under those initials.

He means Assassin's Creed 2. Many games with those initials, but only one released this week.

Nom nom nom? ^_^

I have a new set of Dragon Age conversations, this time between Leliana and Alistar. I'm playing a male noble who's started a romance with Morrigan, but have a high approval with Leliana.

Alistar: So.... did you know that he and Morrigan have- well, y'know...

Leliana: I do not engage in idle gossip, especially behind his back. Hmm. Hmmmm. Hmmmmmmm... Surely he can't be serious about her, she's a vile, untrained witch!

Alistar: Now who's gossiping? Mee-ow!

Leliana: I'm not doing that! You... you... you started it and now I'm ending it *huff!*

^_^

My biggest complaint thus far about MW2 is that I feel that all weapons are equally effective - perhaps this perception will change as I go further into the special ops missions or start multiplayer (which sadly I have not had the chance to :( ).

Like any SMG is about as good as an assault/battle rifle. For instance, in the boneyard level about 1/2 way through you are perched at the top of a large hill with a pretty good view of Makarov and Shepard's men taking each other out. I didn't have to switch to my M-14, and my MP-5!!!! could easily pick off these very very far targets.

But it doesn't bother me that much, I treat the game more like an arcade game with FPS characteristics.... I mean what kind of realistic game can have you carry 500+ rounds of ammo for each of your 2 weapons. You will have to carry about 34 CLIPS . + your other gear >_> .

R. Lee Ermy has the best example describing the relationship of clips and magazines (Gotta love Mail Call). He attaches a paper clip to a periodical. His definition: "A clip helps get ammunition into the magazine." Comes from the glory days of the M1-Garand, where you had to shove a full clip of ammunition into the internal magazine of the weapon.

A friend of mine has a M1-Garand.

Edited by Wanzerfan

and here comes the obligatory...

73764357.jpg

It was going to get posted sooner or later :)

Anyway, I finally reinstalled MW1 just to play multiplayer (never got to in the first place). It feels just like CoD1 except with modern weapons and alot more chaotic. Hardly any grenade spamming. I have yet to find a great community server to stay with. Anyone like to suggest a server or two?

Edited by shiroikaze

I wonder if they will ever do a CoD: ANCIENT WARFARE, with slings, arrows, fire-arrows, and crossbows (ZOMG H4X0R weapon).

Longbow is broken. It drops knights before they can even get in sword range. This piece of crap is a disaster, when are they gonna balance it?!?!?!

Longbow is broken. It drops knights before they can even get in sword range. This piece of crap is a disaster, when are they gonna balance it?!?!?!

more like, short bow is broken, it has the same range as a longbow but faster rate of fire!

This post deserves a promotion. :lol:

Edited by Gaijin

Shiroikaze, funny you mention loading up MW1 again, because I did exactly that also. Installed on my PC, patched it up, went to town. Quickly went through the SP campaign, because I can't bring myself to go multiplayer before finishing the SP campaign. Call it a habit from my days of playing Rainbow 6 and Rogue Spear back in the late 90s and 2000 B)) Anyways, it had been a LOOONNG time since I played COD4 MW1. New rig and all, gotta unlock all the stuff again. Right now sitting on Sergeant and a few unlocks. In most FPS, I prefer assault rifles, but MW has alot of MOUT / dense terrain maps. I use heavily an MP-5 or my recently unlocked M4.

The one edge MW1 and now MW2 have over other FPS (console and PC) is the attachment system. I don't care much for the perks, but I really love the idea on customizing your weapon / "Create A Class" system. MW2 from what I understand now allows 2 attachments to a weapon. I really wish more developers would adopt that basic idea for their future titles, but I haven't seen it materialize yet.

So, these are the current FPS installed on my computer: BF2 (still after all these years), BF2142, Operation Flashpoint 2, and a comeback for COD4 MW.

That's nothing. How about Mongol Horse Archer Cavalry? :lol: They ride around, keep shooting you up, never allow you to get close. But when you don't want to fight anymore, they come charging right up your a**!

They already have that. It's called OBLIVION :lol:

Well that is very true but minus the magic and orcs/elves/ w/e. :p

I was thinking more in the lines of Roman Legionnaire Captain Price fighting the invading hordes near the collapse of the Roman Empire. Instead of "GET ON TEH HUNTER VICTOR!" it would be "GET ON TEH HUNTER WHISKEY WE R LEAVING LOL" (Horse Wagon)!

The mandatory sneaking mission will be implemented via a scoped long-bow with integrated silencer.

Edited by Ghost Train