Should Yamato panelline their Valks?

Dante74

Should Yamato panelline their Valks?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should Yamato panelline their Valks?

• I want my Valks pre-panellined
    • Hell no! I'll panelline them myself if I want to

In the What Issues Would You..., Like Graham To Take Up With Yamato? thread there's been quite some arguing about wether or not Yamato should panelline their Valks.

Some think they should so we don't have to do it ourselfs. Orthers thinks that Yamato will just makes them too thick.

So, what do you think? Panel lines or not?

*edit*

Voted No panellines myself. Yamato makes to thick IMO, just look at the 1/72's

Edited by Dante74

No panel lines. That should be left for customizers. Besides, do we really need something else to grip about should it not be produced to our liking?

... or another reason for Yamato to jack up prices?

I will say that paint application quality is something that's been pretty consistent with most Yamato releases, so I wouldn't expect QC issues.

I said "no" 'cause it does strike me as one more reason to charge us more and one more thing they might mess up on. Also, depending on how they're done, it seems like something that might discourage people from handling their valks too much. The weathering on the LV1 is known to smudge off after all.

why do people keep saying the LV1 was panel lined? It wasnt. I panel linedmine, but it wasnt done right out of the box.

Hell even the 'weathering' was basically just some kinda sticky marks on the top of the plane.

dont get me wrong, I love the plane. But it wasnt panel lined.

Back on topic, I voted no. I see it as one more thing for them to mess up, and its easy enouhg to do yourself.

Remember, this is what we would get - either lines that are too thick and dark, or paint applied unevenly and everywhere. Those 1/72s had shiny plastic that was forgiving on factory-applied panel lines. I'm not sure how successful Yamato would be applying subtle panel lining on the current dull & textured ABS used for 1/48s and 1/60s.

VF-11B

Low-Vis

"Hell no". It'll end up looking like this: (yes, that is factory-applied)

(secondary rant--99% of all panel lining even by modelers is overdone)

heh, I think people should go look at the 1/72 yf-21 as an example of yamato's panel lining.

"Hell no". It'll end up looking like this: (yes, that is factory-applied)

(secondary rant--99% of all panel lining even by modelers is overdone)

if thats what we can expect to get from them , then I have no desire

for them to do it. I dont have 1/72 any more to look at - I sold mine off.

edit:

just looked at some of the previous post pics and If they can match the work

on the LV then ok, but if not, ... then dont bother. I think it may very well be a mess,

especially if this were applied to an all white Valk Kinda sad that theres no Faith in them to do

something like this.

Edited by Macross73

I vote yes.

If you trust Yamato to paint your valk, why not trust them to panel line it?

You could say, "they might screw it up," about any aspect of the construction process. That doesn't seem like a good reason to vote no if you think defined panel lines generally look good...[which I do.]

Yamato should just build plain plastic coloured unfinished valks for all the customizers who have the experience, desire, and equipment, to detail/paint their own valks.

me too. I do mine with a mechanical pencil so they are very subtle. And it only takes half an hour and little to no skill level.

I said "no" 'cause it does strike me as one more reason to charge us more and one more thing they might mess up on. Also, depending on how they're done, it seems like something that might discourage people from handling their valks too much. The weathering on the LV1 is known to smudge off after all.

Totally agree. We don't wanna add anymore to the mentality of "a 1/48 = model kit" :D !

The issue is, they paint 100x better than they panel line. Also, even the least-skilled of us can Gundam-marker a valk in 5 mins as well as (if not better) than Yamato can------but it's darn near impossible to UN-panel-line something.

Are Gundam markers really that easy to use? What makes them different from any other kind of artistic felt pen?

I've tried to panel line models in the past with oil washes, india ink washes, pens, mechanical pencils, etc, and I've never had good results. Maybe I'm just inept.

Whatever the case, I just don't like this whole, "Yamato will probably make them too thick," argument.

That's a pessimistic assumption, IMO. They could turn out great.

I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra if they looked good, and I'd rather have panel lines than no panel lines on my valk. They instantly enhance the look of any model/toy if they're done even half decently, and I'm not sure I have the confidence to panel line a $200 item by myself.

Although I've never panel-lined any of my Valks (so far), I gotta say "no" on this.

For one thing, is there a universal agreement as to how dark or how light the panel-lining should be? Should the panel-lining be "obvious," or should it be "subtle"? How about the color used? Should it be black or a light shade of grey? What about on the non-white Valks (like Millia's, the Stealth, or the LV2)? Should their panel-lining be white, black, or some other color?

Along with all the other issues folks have already mentioned, this is my problem with having Yamato doing the panel-lining itself: the way they panel-line the Valks may not mesh with MY OWN PERSONAL PREFERENCES.

What if I decide to re-do Yamato's panel-lining to my own liking, how easy will it be to remove or "erase" the markings already done?

One of the fun things about looking at all the Valks out there is all the cool little personalized touches and/or added details folks put onto their Valks. Panel-lining is obviously one of the ways we make our Valks stand out and look unique.

As they say, "Variety is the spice of life." And I'd rather not have Yamato take away (or at least severly limit) one of those avenues for variety.

If you think crooked skulls on tailfins are bad, wait until the panel lines aren't between the panels but on the panels due to some misalignment. :p

I love the Yamato valkyries, but they're hit and miss.

Vote: no way

I panel line my own, and I have learned some things over time. Definitely, lighter/ more subtle lines are always better, and I really feel the 1/48 VF-1's don't really need much at all, because the lines were made rather deep, that the shadow within them is almost good enough.

and the production cost of a panel-lined valk would be way more than it's worth. And really, panel lining doesn't take that much skill. If you're scared, use the mechanical pencil like some people have done.

The problem with panel lining is that it's very subjective. Some people don't like them at all. Some people like them dark and bold. Others like faint ones. Some prefer them in black. Others in grey. While still others like to do them in a subtle shade of the underlying paint scheme.

It would be impossible for Yamato to satisfy all those varying opinions on how panel lines "should" be done.

So. . . in my opinion, it's better that they not try to do it at all.