toys as presents/gifts

kanata67

Hey all. Just wondering if anybody [over 18] still asks for toys for x-mas and their birthday? I learned a long time ago not to ask my wife for toys as she never manages to get the right one :blink: . She knows I want a seeker but lord knows I would be unwrapping a yammie and not a bandai tonight if that was what I asked for 4 my birthday.

In fact, I can only think of two people who have given me toys I actually wanted in the past 5 years... one was the fellow who got me into spawn and the other has more spawn than me. I asked my mom for spawn for x-mas a few years back and I get he-man... WTF

Do you guys get cool stuff that you want or do you find it easier to buy toys for yourself and get services like dentist appointments or lap dances for gift giving occasions?

if on the odd chance I actually get something cool today, I'll let you guys know.

Hey all. Just wondering if anybody [over 18] still asks for toys for x-mas and their birthday? I learned a long time ago not to ask my wife for toys as she never manages to get the right one :blink: . She knows I want a seeker but lord knows I would be unwrapping a yammie and not a bandai tonight if that was what I asked for 4 my birthday.

In fact, I can only think of two people who have given me toys I actually wanted in the past 5 years... one was the fellow who got me into spawn and the other has more spawn than me. I asked my mom for spawn for x-mas a few years back and I get he-man... WTF

Do you guys get cool stuff that you want or do you find it easier to buy toys for yourself and get services like dentist appointments or lap dances for gift giving occasions?

if on the odd chance I actually get something cool today, I'll let you guys know.

Happy birthday??!??

I usually get incredulous looks of pity whenever I mention that I still want toys at my age. <_<

Hey all. Just wondering if anybody [over 18] still asks for toys for x-mas and their birthday? I

If I asked anyone I know for a $130+ 1/48 Yamato, they'd look at me like I was nuts...so I avoid that. But I'm also into LEGO and I'm happy to receive those when I get presents, and I'm pushin' 30. :)

I'm somewhat fortunate insofar that my family and friends accept the fact that I'm a philosophy grad student who wants toys. That having been said, it's all Greek to them.

Last Christmas I made a webpage with all the stuff I wanted and linked them to online stores that they could buy it from, I made sure they went straight to the item page. I emailed everyone the URL to my "want list". That's how I ended up with 2 1/48 Hikarus from Vaklyrie Exchange under the tree. :lol:

Last Christmas I made a webpage with all the stuff I wanted and linked them to online stores that they could buy it from, I made sure they went straight to the item page.  I emailed everyone the URL to my "want list".  That's how I ended up with 2 1/48 Hikarus from Vaklyrie Exchange under the tree. :lol:

What a great idea! The "EXO Registry."

Edited by Draykov

Even though I'm on the north side of 30 I still ask my wife for toys. Luckily she asks me to list exactly what I want and that's what I usually get. I don't bother to ask anyone else in my family though as they would just look at me strangely and buy me a sweater insted.

Im a closet toy person, I ask for tools and underwear, I dont think I've bought clothes since 1991.

:lol::lol::lol:

and I thought I was bad being able to say that about 1993 :rolleyes:

then again... the state of my wardrobe might explain why people keep giving me clothes :lol:

I don't ask for toys anymore, it'll be too difficult for my firends and relatives to get anything close to what I want. Mainly they give me money, to buy what I want with or they give me video games.

Well, I don't try with friends or extended family. With the parents it's usually "Here's the CC number, don't spend more than X amount on a gift" or I just get dragged into Best Buy. I got one of my friends a Bandai VF-1S, he really liked it (much more than his 1/55 MPC VF-1S). With relatives it's always just crap that I take back (usually from Marshall Fields), then I go to Target with the credit. Last year I got, from my aunt and uncle, a plastic dart set. For someone who was, at the time, 19. The reccomended age was only up to 6.

The coolest gift I've ever recieved, I just got.

My wife ordered me the Yammie ELINT and Super O for our anniversary. I didn't even ask for it. She went behind me in my emails and online "window shopping" to find out what it was I wanted. She finally found an email I sent to Valk Exchange and the rest is history. Kevin at Valk Exchange can verify this.

Thanks Kev!

every year my family gets me utterly useless gifts, because they dont care to know the things i like. Then, the impose their gift saying "You don't ask for presents..." So i buy everything I enjoy myself....not one person's ever gotten me a gift that I wanted beforehand.

It's pretty funny.....with all the Macross stuff in my room you'd think my family would get the hint. :D

But, I haven't recieved an actual TOY as a gift (or present) for a LONG, LONG, time.

My gf got me the 1/60 Hikaru Super VF-1J and the 1/72 YF-21 FP (seperately). Yeah, she's great. :) To get it right... i babble alot about what i'm interested in and "wow, guess what's coming up now" along with the occassional hyperlink to HLJ or the Valkyrie-Exchange to get them at. IIRC, she got both at the latter (thanks Kevin!). We've recently been hitting Frank & Sons, too. ;)

My gf got me the 1/60 Hikaru Super VF-1J and the 1/72 YF-21 FP (seperately). Yeah, she's great. :) To get it right... i babble alot about what i'm interested in and "wow, guess what's coming up now" along with the occassional hyperlink to HLJ or the Valkyrie-Exchange to get them at. IIRC, she got both at the latter (thanks Kevin!). We've recently been hitting Frank & Sons, too. ;)

To get it right... i babble alot about what i'm interested in and "wow, guess what's coming up now"...

When I do that my wife just raises an eyebrow and says "No!"

My gf got me the 1/60 Hikaru Super VF-1J and the 1/72 YF-21 FP (seperately).  Yeah, she's great. :)  To get it right... i babble alot about what i'm interested in and "wow, guess what's coming up now" along with the occassional hyperlink to HLJ or the Valkyrie-Exchange to get them at.  IIRC, she got both at the latter (thanks Kevin!).  We've recently been hitting Frank & Sons, too. ;)
To get it right... i babble alot about what i'm interested in and "wow, guess what's coming up now"...

When I do that my wife just raises an eyebrow and says "No!"

I got neither a gf or a wife. So I spend all my money on valks now. Mom went to hong kong and got me 1/60 Max. I did get a look and some comments from my grandmother whol lives in HK. Her comment was that no wonder I dont have a gf. oh well. :rolleyes:

Well my family is exacly at the other side of the world, so usually I dont get much from them. Also I feel like I cannot ask my mom & Dad for presents anymore. Last time I asked them a b Day o X mas present was about 5 years ago.

Now I can only ask my wife. I cant complain, last Birthday she bought me a PG Zaku II and usually she allways buy me the Dengeki magazines without me asking her.

But... normally I buy my own presents. Sad. :(

It's very rare that someone gets me a toy even though they know I'm really into that stuff. Because of this, people I know who have even a slight interest in toys, I hook'em up. Forked over quite a few 1/60 yammies for x-mas and b-days. Sometimes letting them go is hard, but their appreciation more than makes up for it. :)

Gee... you guys are lucky.

I havn't got any birthday presents from my parents for many years. :(

And my girlfriend kinda object me collecting yammies, but since she isn't my wife yet,

she have no said on where I spend my money. I can't imagine she'd buy me toy as present.

She always buy me mature-stuff like clothings or acessories to make me look good, which I don't really care about my look.

However, my dad is pretty good in getting me toys from HK when he go back for a visit, provide that I give him specifiy instruction where and what to buy, and most enough money to pay for the toy.

Chinese New Year is the perfect time for buying Valks. When you get those little red paper envelopes with money that ranges from $20-50! Too bad I became aware of the 1/48's too late last year to put it to good use.

I think I'll ask my uncle to give me money this year as he always gives me a box of blank CDs....I could open up a warehouse with the amount over the years as I don't burn CDs that often! :lol:

It's perfectly ligit to still want these toys despite of our age. These toys aren't for kids anyway.

In my opinion, this is by far the most expensive hobby that I have got into, and it's all worth every penny.