Wave High advancd Model 1/5000 DYRL SDF-1 Diecast!

xstoys

I am starting to realize that i am in the minority here. Maybe it is because i missed out on so many macross toys as a child so i appreciate all the ones i get now. Hell before i switched over to yamato i was really happy with my toynami vf-1j hikaru. And yes yamato has it's issues but dammit ive been wanting figures like these for years. it was the only toy i never got as child so i will continue to buy them and be happy. I will by the sdf-1, and other products with pride cause now i can say i finally have them.

You're not alone kaneda :) I feel much the same way. In reality, mecha fans have never had it so good as now, what with the huge array of stuff available to choose from. Perhaps the overly picky ones just shout the loudest. Regardless, I'll just continue enjoying whatever I like, no matter how hard somebody tries to convince me that my opinion is wrong :lol:

Oh it is easy to say it was all crap now, but i remember before this second coming of macross or most transforming toys that people were begging for the old crap toys. I remember seeing a loose custom vf-1s on ebay back during my brief stint in college back in 1999, and it was going for like 200 to 300 dollars cause there was nothing else out. I don't care if they were crap, back in the day i would have loved to have them. Anyway, when are we going to see some new pics of this thing? it is the next thing i am going to buy after i get my SHE getter robo next month

So you mean to tell me that if the current toy makers hadn't come around and made newer and better stuff, and we were just stuck with old bandai releases and reissues you would have passed on all macross toys? All i am saying is that yes compared to what we have it is crap, but if you don't consider that and just rememeber 7 years ago when we didn't have it you wouldn't have bought anything? Okay then, different strokes for different folks. I remember when i bought a floppy mess of a used loose jetfire and it seemd to be the greatest thing in the world. Maybe i just hold macross and the toys no matter how bad they are now and then to a higher degree than you, no offense though. But as a child growing up on a military base in germany where i only had one channel that showed american shows, and one of those few shoes being robotech i have always loved it, and will continue throwing money out the door for stuff as stupid as it does sound. Oh well :lol:

So you mean to tell me that if the current toy makers hadn't come around and made newer and better stuff, and we were just stuck with old bandai releases and reissues you would have passed on all macross toys? All i am saying is that yes compared to what we have it is crap, but if you don't consider that and just rememeber 7 years ago when we didn't have it you wouldn't have bought anything? Okay then, different strokes for different folks. I remember when i bought a floppy mess of a used loose jetfire and it seemd to be the greatest thing in the world. Maybe i just hold macross and the toys no matter how bad they are now and then to a higher degree than you, no offense though. But as a child growing up on a military base in germany where i only had one channel that showed american shows, and one of those few shoes being robotech i have always loved it, and will continue throwing money out the door for stuff as stupid as it does sound. Oh well :lol:

To be honest I don't think that Bandai would have reissued half the stuff they did if it weren't for Yamato getting the ball rolling again.

And yes, I would have left without a Macross toy. I would have gone into modelling.

Well now, although its going for 121.oo+/- at HLJ I ordered it but havent gotten notice that its arrived.

So I hope its available very soon. I ordered it b/c its the best looking SDF right now regardless of the price I

really want this. It would have been better for less but I'm hoping that its well worth the cost. Heck

I'mspending over 130 for most Valks so why not. :)

.And yes, I would have left without a Macross toy. I would have gone into modelling.

I went without the macross toys in the 80's only bought the models.

Saw them in the stores but did not like the look.

The matchbox Robotechs were junk. Hovertank was broken right out of the box.

Only got into Macross toys thanks to Yamato and Valk Exchange.

Getting a VF-17 thanks to Jenuis' custom ideas and the production of the 1/60 YF-19.

I will wait and see if the new macross is a quality product and if the price will go down.

I really need to see comparison pics to help me make an decision, to see if I can bear with the "Macro-ness" of this fellow. On the one hand, I love the sculpting and diecast, but like all men, I just want it to be BIG...

Had Wave made it even close to the 1/48-VF-1 size, I'll folk out the $150 for sure...

Hi everyone, long time lurker here.

I arrived late to this thread, but as soon as I saw the images I knew I was going to preorder - short of any major issues. Have been hanging out for a long time for an SDF, and as it stands I am sorely tempted to get 2, but reason is holding me off for now :p.

Just pointing out in case anyone didn't notice, in the source venue of the pics posted by Deimos a while back, it looks like the model hadn't been transformed properly with the shoulder canons sitting on top of the shoulders, instead of flush on the back as they are supposed to be, hence why they appear weirdly tall, and why the connector is visible - they aren't in any of the other pics.

I don't know about anyone else, but those pics were really putting me off and I thought it may have just been the angle of the previous pics (which would have been disappointing) till I did a comparison - thought those canons looked long.

Comprison image attached...

In any case, while it definitely could be bigger, it is still a good display size and the stands are a nice touch. The shininess is a bit odd, but it seems to suit it - especially the bluish tint, as appears in the movie.

It is definitely expensive for the size, but at the very least seems to have an unusually healthy amount of diecast with tight joints, and that is what did it for me - thanks for the assessment roger. The only thing I am worried about is the gap in the legs when in cruiser mode as none of the pics (maybe intentionally) show this well, but I'll be happy as long as the final model is comparable in detail/quality to the prototype.

Oh and lastly, noticed that according to TMP it is coming out in late february...

Edit: time out while adding attachment and somehow it posted...go figure

post-4844-1169987981_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reactive

Just picked up the Wave SDF-1 on the way back to the office after a business meeting.

I paid HK$850.00 (approx. US$108.97). The shop I bought it from (Toy Mania), is usually a bit more expensive than other shops, but convenient for me as it's only about a 10 minute walk from my office.

The box design looks great. Yamato could learn a thing or two from Wave here. Lovely old-school styrofoam inside as well.

I haven't had time to handle the toy yet, but I did open the box to check the contents.

When my shop-keeper friend handed me the box, my initial thoughts were he'd given me an empty box as it was extremely light. Apparently the die-cast content is fairly minimal.

On opening the box, my next thoughts were "fu@k, that's small"! Yes, I know I've posted previously that 24cm (the reported length of the toy) is fairly large, but when you actually see it, it does look small.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work until 9.30pm tonight and won't get home until 10.45pm, so I won't really be able to start on the review today. I will try to transform it a few times tonight before I crash and post more comments tomorrow.

Some crappy phone camera pics below of the box front and rear and the toy in its styrofoam tray with a ballpoint pen for size comparison.

Graham

When my shop-keeper friend handed me the box, my initial thoughts were he'd given me an empty box as it was extremely light. Apparently the die-cast content is fairly minimal.

On opening the box, my next thoughts were "fu@k, that's small"! Yes, I know I've posted previously that 24cm (the reported length of the toy) is fairly large, but when you actually see it, it does look small.

Graham

Ok thats not at all what i wanted to read. I wanted to see that it was heavy

from the die-cast content and you were happy with the size of it.

looking at the picture comparison with the pen I'm re-thinking this now and

may spend my money on something else. I'll wait for th review before I make

a final decision.

Ok thats not at all what i wanted to read. I wanted to see that it was heavy

from the die-cast content and you were happy with the size of it.

looking at the picture comparison with the pen I'm re-thinking this now and

may spend my money on something else. I'll wait for th review before I make

a final decision.

Exactly. Plus it's gonna have to be really, really good for me to get anything with the word "WHAM!" on it. Hey, Graham, do you want us to wake you up before you go go? :p

Small, minimum diecast and over $100. Rapidly losing interest. Wave better hope Grahams review is glowing cause it looks like I won't be getting one otherwise.

ditto.

after seeing that pen next to it, it doesn't look like its worth $150, $120 or even $100...maybe $50 tops.

Ugh, too small and not enough details for that price. If it were around $50 I'd grab one in a heartbeat.

However unlikely, I hope Wave releases another version with minimal die-cast at a lower cost. They would definitely sell more this way.

the one that just came out has very little diecast according to graham...

sounds like there about as much diecast in this as toynami's VF-1.

i don't think the production cost is what made this expensive, its just that its target audience is adult collectors who seem to blindly purchase things(myself included) simply because its macross toy.

for its size and lack of diecast as they claimed, this looks like a $15-$20 toy that should've been packaged on a blister card.

Edited by do not disturb