Wave High advancd Model 1/5000 DYRL SDF-1 Diecast!

xstoys

You're a funny guy. I can voice my opinion just like you, no matter what your knowledge is about that show. And judging by the tone of your posts, I think you're actually the one who needs to calm down. It's just a stupid toy for a stupid show after all. The toy itself is still a good one despite the flaws that I find annoying as a mecha collector who doesn't care about the shows.

Edited by megatroptimus

Yes, but you're comparing an apple to an orange.

The Macross doesn't walk. The Macross is NOT a robot; it does NOT have a spark. Expecting any of these things out of any physical representation of the Macross is just simply silly.

I'm a fan of transforming mecha too, but there's no way I would buy this very expensive niche product if I weren't a Macross fan.

Edited by Alpha OTS

So you won't even admit that you were just plain wrong? :)

I won't. . . when I'm not. :mellow:

Look on the box, the head is clearly turned to the right.

Bottom row, 5th picture. I take it you don't even own the toy? And even if it is not shown turning the head in the movie (although that drawing shows it can)

Ah, so this tiny picture clearly shows the head turned?

IPB Image

So. . . let's go to the anime shall we and look at a blown-up picture of what you think is "clear."

IPB Image

That's as good as you're ever going to see that image. And, as you can see, nothing is clear at all.

But wait, it gets better! That shot is actually a zoomed out "context shot" that is faded to from a close up of the head/bridge (the intent being to "zoom out" from the bridge with no change in angle). Here's the close-up before the fade out:

IPB Image

Okay. . . so on to the "knees". . .

As I suspected, less than a second after we see the image posted above that seems to show knees, we see this:

IPB Image

Which looks nothing like what was shown in the image where it apparently has knees, less than a second prior. But, of course, this one was most likely handled by the "A team" as it is a primary element . While the one seen above with the "knees" was a background and probably drawn by a "B team" which is less well versed in the mechanical design of each mecha/ship.

And, just for fun. . . here is the Macross still lying there six minutes later as it begins to lift off again. Again, no "knees":

IPB Image

So now, I assume you'll say none of this matters because the head "should" turn and it "should" have knees and that you can "assume" that such things are actually there even though they aren't in the original designs because Rocky never took a crap on-screen. :rolleyes:

But, well, most people who want Macross toys want those toys to be accurate to the original designs and line art. And it's poor form to come into a fansite for an intellectual property and say that you wish they had been less accurate only to satisfy your arbitrary notion of what makes a "cool" toy. Again, you might as well join a Star Wars discussion group and say that a Death Star toy should be able to "open" at the equator so that it can "eat" starships . It never did so in the movies, but we never saw Luke take a leak either! So we can assume it can! :wacko:

Yes it IS a toy, but it is not representing a walking robot.

The Macross flies and DOESN'T walk, that is why it doesn't have knees.

Like Hurin mentionned earlier, the part were it can be seen with knees in the movie, is just an animation error.

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, but souldn't disregard that of others. THAT goes for the both of you.

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, but souldn't disregard that of others. THAT goes for the both of you.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But not all opinions are created equal. Those who wander into a discussion with little to no knowledge of the subject involved should excercise some discretion when making their points and contradicting others rather than just spouting nonsense, half-truths, and flat-out wrong assertions based in ignorance.

This particular gentleman first asserted that the toy should have features that its source does not. When this was pointed out to him, he stated with certainty that an image clearly shows something that it in fact does not (head turning). Then he asserted that Macross fans just like "inferior toys" (because we don't want knees on our SDF-1?). All the while, he's stating things that merely betray his ignorance such as: "If it doesn't have knees. . . how does it walk?" To which, anyone even vaguely familiar with the anime would answer: "It doesn't. Moron." :lol:

Again, everyone can have an opinion. But a wise person is a bit more careful when discussing something with which he has no familiarity.

You've been reported for flaming.

Ah, the call of the truly desperate!

Is this how you handle being wrong? To quote you back to yourself: "So you won't even admit that you were just plain wrong?"

Regarding your "report" for "flaming."

I suggest you look under my avatar where it says: "Group"

:lol:

After a thorough investigation of this matter, I've decided not to ban myself. Indeed, while I've merely accurately characterized your behavior throughout this thread (which you seem to consider "flaming"). . . you've engaged in taunting ("Where's Hurin now?") and worse even while you exposed yourself as ignorant and. . . well. . . wrong.

Please note, however, that despite this, you have not been banned, suspended, or even warned. Yet you (apparently unaware that I was an admin) attempted to have me disciplined for flaming you? That's fantastic!

You indirectly called me moron while I said absolutely nothing wrong or demeaning. How about that? So that means I can call you moron too? The way you act certainly isn't worthy of an administrator.

And no, I'm not completely wrong, it's been proven that SDF-1 had knees at some point in the show, even if it was an error.

Edited by megatroptimus

You indirectly called me moron while I said absolutely nothing wrong or demeaning. How about that? So that means I can call you moron too? The way you act certainly isn't worthy of an administrator.

And no, I'm not completely wrong, it's been proven that SDF-1 had knees at some point in the show, even if it was an error.

The key word there is "indirect." Not only that, but you suddenly become exquisitely sensitive as soon as you get pinned down and your bold, arrogant assertions are demonstrated to be wrong. What, no more taunting? No more telling us that we just like "inferior toys?" How about calling the anime "stupid?" That, my friend isn't worthy of anyone. And, given your tone, ignorance (and the perplexing level of arrogance that accompanied it), you're fortunate to have gotten off as lightly as you have.

As for you not being "wrong" because it "had knees at some point in the show, even if it was an error." Does this mean that I can demand a Max VF-1A with missles mounted on the tail? After all, even though it was in error, it appeared for a moment! I'm entitled! In fact, I think it's lame that the VF-1 toys don't have "error missiles" on their tails!

I note that you suddenly don't want to discuss the Macross turning its head now either. How convenient. Must have slipped your mind.

Arrogance when someone does know what they're talking about is bad enough. We're all guilty of that from time-to-time. But arrogance and certainty from someone who is almost comically ignorant of the subject matter into which he's wading is annoying, even as it amuses.

I don't mind people being ignorant about Macross. I don't mind someone asking how the Macross walks without knees. Or what good a head is if it doesn't turn. It just shows that they have no friggin' idea about the anime, or about how/why the Macross transforms. But, if they're being cool about it, plenty of us will take the time to politely explain it to them and/or direct them to watch the anime. No problem there!

You did something very different. You're basically making all these ignorant, laughable statements while asserting that the original designs of the mecha shouldn't matter and that accuracy should have been discarded so that you can turn its heads and bend its (non-existent) knees. Then you bounce back and forth between saying that the original design shouldn't matter, and that the original design does allow for what you want (with no acknowledgment of the contradiction). In between, of course, you're telling us that we just like "inferior toys" and that the anime is "lame."

If you want the SDF-1 to pose like a friggin' Valkyrie, you just simply bought the wrong toy. And an SDF-1 that poses like a Valkryie wouldn't be the SDF-1 Macross. But, of course, having apparently never seen any of the anime, you have no clue how the Macross should look.

Or, as someone else put it:

it's obvious the guy is looking for posability that isn't part of the actual anime design in the first place. THe SDF-1 doesn't do flying air kicks like a YF-19

But you don't know enough about what you bought to know this and would rather attack those who point this out to you.

H

Edit: Please stop editing the entirety of your posts.

So you still don't admit the SDF-1 had knees for a millisecond even though you were showed evidence?

EDIT 1 : my SDF-1 can turn its head and it looks way better that way.

EDIT 2 : the way you're being anal about all this issue is way funnier than my ignorance on the subject

Edited by megatroptimus

So you still don't admit the SDF-1 had knees for a millisecond even though you were showed evidence?

Animation error. As you yourself all but conceded. And since you all but conceded it and now seem to be just baiting and perpetuating a settled issue, I feel compelled to just encourage you to drop this topic. This thread is getting horribly derailed and we're not going to let it become your personal playground where you can meander back-and-forth between your contradictory points.

EDIT : my SDF-1 can turn its head and it looks way better that way.

If you want to turn the head of your SDF-1, congratulations. If you prefer it that way, good for you. Anyone who knows what that toy represents will think the turned head looks silly. And were the toy to be unable to do so, nobody familiar with the SDF-1 Macross design would consider it a flaw. But if that's what turns you on, more power to you. Just don't start asserting that it clearly does so in the anime when it doesn't. And then start crying "abuse!" when you're proven wrong.

Okay, let this drop. I don't want to lock this thread, which only leaves us one other alternative.

Oh, the mods do enforce rules (albiet sometimes very slowly and only after multiple offenses), but they also have eyes, and can tell when someone is being billigerent and provocative then takes cover under the forum's "rules" when they get a response they don't like.

Just for future reference, this isn't really a place to piss on a member's knowledge and then piss on his passion when he brings to bear the weight of his knowledge to correct misunderstandings. You'll also find this true anywhere else where people know their stuff and are passionate about it too.

We're all entitled to our feelings about what's acceptable and what's overly retentive when it comes to geeky fandom, but unless we're doing it for the other person's health, playing the Oh-My-Goodness-What-A-Geek card when we're shown to be incorrect looks pretty disingenuous.

We need a duel thread just for people to go mono il mono. This gives people a chance to let off some steam without derailing a proper thread (and for our general entertainment when no Macross news is on). :)

Edited by Mowe

Since the above posters insist on derailing this thread despite what Hurin said...

Yes, this thread has become almost hopelessly derailed... but in a worderfully hilarious way. Hurin, I don't know if your sarcasm in the face of sheer ignorance is accidental or intended, but it is a riot. :lol:

Sheer ignorance about a dumb tv show made for kids you mean? Yeah, I can admit that.

Edited by megatroptimus

Sheer ignorance about a dumb tv show made for kids you mean?

Yeah, that TV show is hella dumb! Going on the Internet, finding a site dedicated to it, then fighting the mods about the merchandise for it is totally smart though.

while I said absolutely nothing wrong or demeaning.

Hmmmm. . . let's go through some of the things that I'm sure has endeared you to everyone here from the very beginning.

Can't care less for the show btw

But I take it Macross fans are happy with inferior toys.

It's just a stupid toy for a stupid show after all.

Sheer ignorance about a dumb tv show made for kids you mean?

It is just poor form to walk onto a fansite, make silly complaints that are totally baseless (hey, the SDF-1 should have a sword too!), let stuff like that fall out during the "debate". . . And then expect everyone to treat your views with the utmost respect.

So, you are far from the affronted party here.

Everyone else, let's get this thread back on track. While I personally appreciate some of the sentiments, we can't really ask him to drop it if nobody else does.

H

P.S. Macross was originally a Japanese anime before it was "kiddified" by Harmony Gold and transformed into "Robotech." If you think anime in Japan is for kids, you're just once again demonstrating your ignorance.

Whatever can justify your love for kidsy shows.

Everyone else, let's get this thread back on track. While I personally appreciate some of the sentiments, we can't really ask him to drop it if nobody else does.

+

you're just once again demonstrating your ignorance.

Isn't funny that you finish your post with one last attack after asking everyone to stop?

Edited by megatroptimus

I love the engineering behind the toys, I don't care for stories. I'm a huge Transformers fan yet I only a saw a handful of episodes for Armada, Energon and Cybertron. Never watched Beast Wars. Never seen RID. I find the original movie pretty boring. I have yet to watch all the G1 episodes even though I received the boxset. I collect Brave toys, never seen the show. Same thing for Eldoran. I have a few Gobots, I have no interest in the show. Same goes for Robotech, Macross and all the shows related with the SOC figures I have.

Edited by megatroptimus

Whatever can justify your love for kidsy shows.

Says the guy who collects toys from Transformers (that is a Kid's show!) and several others. Man. . . it just keeps getting worse for you.

By the way, you've passed the threshold. And you're now just being kept around for amusement. Generally speaking, you don't come onto a fansite and insult the property around which it is based. . . and its fans. . . and expect to stick around long.

Honestly, the only reason you're still here is because you're a train wreck. And I just can't bare to look away yet.

Isn't funny that you finish your post with one last attack after asking everyone to stop?

Again, pointing out your ignorance isn't an "attack". . . ignorance means "lack of knowledge." And since you readily admit that you haven't seen Macross, you're ignorant as to whether it is a "kiddy show" or not (and indeed, how a Macross toy should be posed). This is not an attack. It is a fact. Your ignorance is manifest and obvious thanks to your total inability to keep your mouth shut and stop exposing yourself as such.

Now. . . final warning (everyone). Drop it.

Back to topic

The only thing that I don't like is the size and the shoulders. I think that if they would have made it a 1/3000 scale like the Matchbox I think the shoulder would have been better. With that said I love the Macross version allot better then the Robotech, so I was tickled pink to get this.

Question: Did they run out or running out of stock on this item?

So wait... forgetting the issue about 'knees', the screen cap shows the SDF-1 CAN rotate its 'legs' at the hips at least?

The matchbox/bandai toy does this a bit (barely).

Man, this is great. Got a PM reporting Hurin. Maybe next Shawn and Graham will be reported for allowing this kind of "flaming" on their board...

IPB Image

LOL! That is comedy gold! :lol:

What the hell does the SDF-1 need knees for? It's not like the ship does flying air kicks :p