Wave High advancd Model 1/5000 DYRL SDF-1 Diecast!

xstoys

That would actually be me (lurking for many years). I write for CollectionDX and the video I shot before the review was done, I am very surprised you folks have actually found it. Anyway you all can see the full finished write up at Collection DX review

Enjoy. B))

great video!!!! really shows off how the toys works.... "Macross Geeks Rejoice!!!"... haha....

Edited by kiririth

Ha..Ha... :lol::lol::lol: The commentating and the way he handles his SDF-1 in the video is like watching a triple bypass operation, especially when he pulls out the pin and use it like a retractor.

Ha..Ha... :lol::lol::lol: The commentating and the way he handles his SDF-1 in the video is like watching a triple bypass operation, especially when he pulls out the pin and use it like a retractor.

It took me about 14 tries to get the video right. Everytime I'd get thru it and almost be done either my cat would jump up into the shot and not move, aim would go off on the laptop or my phone would ring.

Ebay does seem to be the way to go. I just bought one there for $130 shipped. It is a bit pricey for the size, but the last thing I want to do is sit on it now and end up shelling out triple that in a year or so...especially since these appear to be no longer in production.

Damn that video! :p Eh, who am I kidding? I've wanted a decent toy of the Macross for years now. While this didn't turn out to be the exact holy grail I was waiting for, it will definitely do for now.

Got mine this morning. Nicely detailed, but the thing is unfortunately somewhat flimsy and not very well articulated. I wish the arms could at least lock on the legs in ship mode. Would have been easy to give it knees and a head that could turn. But it's still an okay display piece.

EDIT : looks like the head CAN turn... you just have to force it a bit, looks there was too much glue in there.

Edited by megatroptimus

Got mine this morning. Nicely detailed, but the thing is unfortunately somewhat flimsy and not very well articulated. I wish the arms could at least lock on the legs in ship mode. Would have been easy to give it knees and a head that could turn. But it's still an okay display piece.

EDIT : looks like the head CAN turn... you just have to force it a bit, looks there was too much glue in there.

Uh, dude. . . are you kidding? The head doesn't turn, nor should it have knees! I mean, don't you want it to be "anime accurate?" I think it would be cool if it rode a unicorn, but it didn't have one in the movie!

:lol:

Uh, dude. . . are you kidding? The head doesn't turn, nor should it have knees! I mean, don't you want it to be "anime accurate?" I think it would be cool if it rode a unicorn, but it didn't have one in the movie!

:lol:

When you create a masterpiece figure, the least you can do is to give it better articulation and stay away from a toy design that's completely outdated. If I want an ugly brick, I will buy the original. Looking at the box with stills from the show, you can see that the SDF-1 can turn its head (turned to the right on the pics).

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by megatroptimus

When you create a masterpiece figure, the least you can do is to give it better articulation and stay away from a toy design that's completely outdated. If I want an ugly brick, I will buy the original. Looking at the box with stills from the show, you can see that the SDF-1 can turn its head (turned to the right on the pics).

When you're designing a toy that is based on a design from a movie, you tend to want to make it accurate to the movie's design. So. . . no knees. As for turning its head. . . it does shift during transformation. But I've never seen any image (nor is there any point in the anime) where the Macross's head turns/swivels.

I just think it's odd to voice such a firmly stated complaint when 99% of the movie's fans know that it doesn't have knees. . . and to the best of my knowledge, the head doesn't turn.

Feel free to upload an image where the head is turning left/right. I don't mind being proven wrong. ;)

Look on the box, the head is clearly turned to the right. Can't care less for the show btw. But I take it Macross fans are happy with inferior toys. God, by chance we have CMS and Transformers!

Uh. . . okay, you're showing us the head turning on the toy not in the anime. So, you're demonstrating that the toy can do things that the thing it represents can't. Good for you.

Now, if you can't care less about the show, then I guess there's no getting through to you. But something tells me that if I went to the Battlestar Galactica fan forums and said that Colonial Vipers should be able to be folded in half, everyone there would say: "Why? It can't do that in the show." And I'd come off as a prick if I then said: "You guys just like inferior toys! It should bend in half! I don't care what it does in the show!"

Dude, you might as well wish that your Princess Leia action figure had a penis. Or your Darth Vader had breasts.

A toy design can only be as good as what it's based on and still remain accurate. If the Macross has no friggin' knees in the anime, it would be f'ing stupid for them to just add them on the toy. Why not write a nasty letter to Hasbro complaining that your X-Wing should be able to rotate its laser cannons and fire to the rear?

:rolleyes:

No, you see the anime version on the box, and the head is turned on that one.

I call bullshit. ;)

Where on the box?

Everyone here (who actually "cares" about the anime) is familiar with those shots from the anime that are on the box at that link. And at no point in the anime is the Macross shown turning its head.

Bottom row, 5th picture. I take it you don't even own the toy? And even if it is not shown turning the head in the movie (although that drawing shows it can), you can assume it can. Because we don't see Rocky Balboa taking a crap in his 6 movies doesn't mean he can't.

Edited by megatroptimus

Bottom row, 5th picture. I take it you don't even own the toy?

Mine is in transit. But I didn't realize I needed to have the the toy to know that the Macross never turns its head in the anime or that it doesn't have knees.

And when I get home and can screen capture that shot from the DVD, we'll continue this discussion. Most of us are intimately familiar with that movie. . . and I suspect you'll find that you're looking at that image oddly and misjudging perspective.

H

Actually, the Macross DOES bend it's knees in DYRL. It's in the scene where it's on earth floating over the island that Hikaru and Misa were on. The Meltran ship blasts off it's main guns and knocks it on it's ass. There is a clear front-on shot showing the knees bent.

Bottom row, 5th picture. I take it you don't even own the toy? And even if it is not shown turning the head in the movie (although that drawing shows it can), you can assume it can. Because we don't see Rocky Balboa taking a crap in his 6 movies doesn't mean he can't.

Oh good, you're adding more nonsense.

Your Rocky analogy is totally inapplicable. All people defecate. But mechanical constructs don't always have joints, swivels, or articulation where you might think they would/should be. Hence. . . no friggin knees. :rolleyes:

You can "assume" all you want all the things that you arbitrarily think would make a "better toy". . . but most people here "assume" that the Macross can't turn its head because it's not actually a "head". . . it's the friggin' bridge that was never designed to rotate because the Macross was never designed to transform. It only did so out of necessity. But, of course, I only know this because I'm not in a Macross discussion forum lecturing people on things even though I "coudn't care less" about the anime.

H

It doesn't walk but I coulda sworn the TV version's head turned during the daedalus attack. I also thought the legs were shown to bend very slightly at the knee area when the SDF-1 was flying in DYRL. Both are distant memories and can easily be wrong.

There you go.

How does it walk then with no knees? Unless it's not seen walking in the movie?

Anyway, it looks way better with a turning head, makes for more dynamic poses.

We're done here. It never walks. It is not designed to walk. In fact, it was never designed to tranform or be in the mode you seem to just assume is "robot mode." Dude, why did you buy this toy? You don't even sound like a Macross fan.

Actually, the Macross DOES bend it's knees in DYRL. It's in the scene where it's on earth floating over the island that Hikaru and Misa were on. The Meltran ship blasts off it's main guns and knocks it on it's ass. There is a clear front-on shot showing the knees bent.

I think you're confusing where the tops of its "legs" go into its "hips". . . it does flex a bit there (and does so on the original toy). But a "knee" is a joint that gives a lot flexibility (usually up to and exceeing 90 degrees) and is a lot further down on the leg.

I think you're envisioning the side-shot of the Macross settling after it is blasted. That shows some flexing at the hip, but no bending at an area where you would expect a "knee."

H

Bent Knees Pic:

Ah, posted image. Okay. . . I can see where you could interpret that as knees. But I think once you see the screenshot of it settling just an instant prior, you'll see that this is a trick of perspective.

So where' Hurin now? ;)

You. . . sir. . . need to simmer down.

Tell me. Do you also think it would be cool if the Macross could dismount one of its main gun booms and wield it as a club? That would rock! Man, they were stupid to not allow that with the toy!

H

So you won't even admit that you were just plain wrong? :) C'mon, there's absolutely NO trick of perspective in that picture, it definitely shows it has knees, there's absolutely no way you could have the SDF-1 in that position without it having knees.

Edited by megatroptimus

So you won't even admit that you were just plain wrong? :) C'mon, there's absolutely NO trick of perspective in that picture, it definitely shows it has knees, there's absolutely no way you could have the SDF-1 in that position without it having knees.

Admit I was wrong? Proven wrong?

There are official mechanical drawings and lineart for the Macross. They do not show a knee. The Macross's legs are big long blocks. There is no place for a knee. Now, if the Macross is shown settling in one way, and then a background image shows it settling a different way in a fashion that contradicts the lineart and design. . . what you have is an animation error.

Do you know how many animation errors there are throughout the series, and even several in DYRL? If you "could care less" about the anime, you would. And you wouldn't be taking such an annoying tone with people who know a lot more about this anime than you do.

Dude, a few seconds ago, you were wondering how the Macross walks. So, you might want to calm down a bit here.

I think I located my digital copy of DYRL and I'm copying it over to my hard drive now. We'll have screenshots soon. And though it's rare, most people who know me here know that I am totally capable of admitting when I'm mistaken. In the meantime, like I said, simmer down.

H