Wave High advancd Model 1/5000 DYRL SDF-1 Diecast!

xstoys

I am tempted to make sarcastic remarks...but i shall not.

I shall make a comment here to be ON topic and also sound smart at the same time without sounding stupid.

I still think the thing is too small for what WAVE is charging for it. :p

As much as I've enjoyed the comedy, the answer to the questions of whether SDF-1 has knees and whether it is capable of bending are actually not that straight forward :wacko: .

Dig up some files, hope this will settle the questions of the millennium:

1. Does SDF-1's head turns?

2. Does SDF-1 has knees?

3. It is capable of bending?

You will be the judge but from these pics, my personal interpetation would be:

1. SDF1's head does not turn, it splits!! WTF :blink: - see Pic 1 (1/2 point to both?)

2. SDF-1 has knees - I think the second picture has annotation that reads knee joint pointing to the knee rotation point (1 point to megatroptimus :ph34r: )

3. SDF-1 has knee but it never used it at his own free will - the 3rd pic shows the only time when SDF-1 appears to be bending after it got hit and felt on the lake - technically, it didn't bent, it was more like crumbled (1 point to Hurin :ph34r: )

So a draw?? Now let's hug each other :wub: .

Personally, I like to see the toy is capable of knee-bending, that would be cool :D .

[attachmentid=40931][attachmentid=40932][attachmentid=40929]

post-3608-1173192263_thumb.jpg

post-3608-1173193251_thumb.jpg

post-3608-1173193767_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mowe

Do yo mean this scene? I was also thinking of this scene...and now that I look at it, I am kind of leaning more towards it has knee and does bend... :unsure:

[attachmentid=40933]

i think there's an episode where they show the SDF1 with bent knees.

it was a re-entry scene, i think after the final fight with bodolza:)

post-3608-1173195486_thumb.jpg

Actually, that pose remind me of something...SDF-1 giving birth to the little VF-1s :blink: eeeeeeergh....

If the Waves SDF-1 can do that, now that would be cool..... :D

well, that's one :)

i was referring to the tv series.

the SDF1 re-enters (i think) 2 times in the series, one of 'em shows the bent knees

but... we're talkin' movie version, so does that count ? :lol:

:)

If the SDF-1 does have knees they are located very high up on the thigh to actually be knees.

And they never actually show a major flexion in the "leg." It's a friggin' spaceship people for crying out loud. The minor bend is probably for minor adjustment of the engines on the legs for redirecting the ship's trajectory.

The first 2 are from Kazutaka Miyatake's "Design Works Macross & Orguss" and the third one is from the "Gold Book".

So I assume what ever these pics shows, that would be the intention of the designers - I thought these pics would settle the debate :unsure:

But of course, being an anime, it is really up to each individual's interpretation - I guess there is no right or wrong answers - just be gentle when telling someone else you are right and they are wrong :)

what book are those pictures from. the third one is awesomethanks!

Edited by Mowe

So he moved the head even when it was glued in....that thing is damaged now...

And yes, this is retarded.

Damaged? Let me laugh. It's no more damaged than when you decide to customize a Valk with paint and god knows what. There's even a forum here dedicated to people who are "damaging" their Macross figures.

Not only the head was glued in, but it was crooked, which is not show-accurate either.

Edited by megatroptimus

OK, let me be perfectly clear here...

STOP REPORTING THIS THREAD FOR FLAMING

I strongly suggest that you stop posting this crap and stay on topic. Any further attacks on members here and/or how we choose to celebrate our fandom of Macross will result in you being banned.

If you want to talk toys for toys sake then go elsewhere. In case you haven't figured it out, this is not the place.

So, THEY call me retard and I'm the one who's accused? Not counting Hurin who called me moron and jerk. What's more, there is evidence that the SDF-1 DOES have knees yet it's completely ignored. And yes, I was on topic. The guys calling me retard, not. As far I know, this thread is to discuss the toy, and that's exactly what I was doing until Hurin started stirring poo for no other reason than picking on a newbie. He had refrained from posting, none of this would have happened. You guys only have yourself to blame.

Edited by megatroptimus

Y'know what...FRAK THIS.

YES....the knees bend, be it animation error, or intentional.

NO...the head does not turn.

YES - You cannot keep your yap shut to save your own arse.

Cry foul if you so desire, but you've just earned yourself 14 days to cool your heels.

Oh come on megatroptimus. You can't expect anyone to warm to you with this kind of display.

By your own admission, you don't even care for the anime. So what is to gain? Just to say "Look at me, I proved the SDF-1 Macross has knees...I'm king of the world!" as if some of us didn't already know that. Eat your heart out James Cameron! :)

In the end, you're complaining because the toy doesn't pose enough for squat thrusts, and you think it should based on the ONLY example of the Macross ever bending it's knee...a bend that amounts to about 2 degrees at that! :lol:

Anyway, here's the diagram that I have (to be part of the SDF-1 Macross TV entry on the MacrossMechaManual)

IPB Image

Edited by Mr March

theres no doubt poseable kness would be a cool feature for this toy, but they didn't make the toy with poseable knees sooooo....

moving along to a more logical discussion....

i still don't get why this is so expensive? and i highly doubt they'll be a shortage of these, vendors and distributors just say this to drive sales. i.e. the supposed shortage of YF-19s when there clearly wasn't any shortage whatsoever.

they already spent the money to produce the SDF-1, so it would be in there best interest to make as many as the market will bare. if for whatever reason the price for these climb to some ridiculous price, wave will simply re-release them(so they make the money and not secondary market sellers)as yamato has for some of there valks.

with that in mind, i'll pick this up when it hits $50 or so....though i'd be willing to pay more if the kness bent or something. :lol:

Just an FYI, but that lineart pic of the SDF-1's head splitting during transformation is from the TV series. IIRC, the head doesn't split in the movie during transformation.

bb.jpg

Also some of lineart depicting the knees is also from the TV series, but Wave's SDF-1 is the movie version. If you look closer you'll see that the TV and movie SDF-1's are very different.

Do yo mean this scene? I was also thinking of this scene...and now that I look at it, I am kind of leaning more towards it has knee and does bend... :unsure:

[attachmentid=40933]

Yep, we've already seen that shot where it looks like it's practically sitting indian style or squatting on a toilet.

IPB Image

But, as I pointed out originally, a split-second later, you see the following:

IPB Image

So, it's pretty clear that the "squatting" shot is an animation error as often seen in background images. I mean, that shot is showing the Macross with flexibility well beyond just knees.

I stand corrected that there is actually a joint there (albeit pretty high up on the leg) that could be considered a "knee" by some. Though, of course, this concession goes out to those who actually base this on knowledge of the design rather than people who have never seen it and just want to pose their Macross toy like a ninja.

Though, as others have said, a "knee" isn't a "knee" unless it gives a pretty full range of movement. That joint appears to move no more than a few degrees throughout both the movie and the series. So it is probably just there for navigational purposes (steering the ship through minute adjustments while in cruiser mode).

Regarding it bending in the series: After the "rain of death", it flies down with its legs looking almost like they are fused together (but straight) and then settles into a crater. I don't recall any bending or even an opportunity to do so. We pretty much just see it from the waist up as it settles into the crater.

Look, it's pretty clear the SDF-1 has knees and they are shown both in the lineart and the movie. You totally ragged on the guy when he was at least partially right and you were partially wrong . He should be allowed to continue posting.

Please note that nobody else has been banned. People who have constructive, polite things to add to the debate aren't being banned. And I didn't "rag" on you for posting those images originally. Nor am I ragging on anyone who posted the schematics. Instead, I'm conceding that there is a joint there.

What got him "ragged on" was his attitude (beginning almost immediately with "Macross fans are happy with inferior toys") and that he tried to make arguments like "If it doesn't have knees, how does it walk?" which only demonstrated that he had no idea what he was talking about. But of course, that didn't stop him from repeatedly insulting a show and a movie that he'd never seen (and by extension, its fans).

As soon as his preference for a "dynamically poseable" Macross toy was (politely and jovially) pointed out to be at odds with what the actual anime design encompassed, he started letting loose with these little gems:

But I take it Macross fans are happy with inferior toys.

It's just a stupid toy for a stupid show after all.

Sheer ignorance about a dumb tv show made for kids you mean?

He was treated politely until comments like that began piling up. So you can claim he was "ragged on". . . but between those comments, the taunting, and the bizarre level of arrogance he displayed, I don't think a little "ragging" was inappropriate.

Now he wants to portray himself as a victim, and you're apparently buying into it. Despite evidence recently found that this isn't the first message board that has banned him for "flagrant trolling" and "flaming."

Oh yeah, and he told MM to "f--k off." :rolleyes:

Well, to be 100% accurate, he told me to "f--k myself". :lol:

In any case, yes, the knees were not the issue, clearly, it has knees, as you pointed out the first time you posted the screen cap.

The issue was that he was being a douchebag, and insulting our beloved 25 year old cartoon. Nobody picks on Macross and lives!

So, anyway, enough of that. Let's get back to talking about the tiny, ugly, overpriced toy. :lol:

theres no doubt poseable kness would be a cool feature for this toy, but they didn't make the toy with poseable knees sooooo....

moving along to a more logical discussion....

i still don't get why this is so expensive? and i highly doubt they'll be a shortage of these, vendors and distributors just say this to drive sales. i.e. the supposed shortage of YF-19s when there clearly wasn't any shortage whatsoever.

they already spent the money to produce the SDF-1, so it would be in there best interest to make as many as the market will bare. if for whatever reason the price for these climb to some ridiculous price, wave will simply re-release them(so they make the money and not secondary market sellers)as yamato has for some of there valks.

with that in mind, i'll pick this up when it hits $50 or so....though i'd be willing to pay more if the knees bent or something. :lol:

After seeing how small it was and then the price thats what put me off getting it.

Its a shame b/c it really does look nice. if it had been larger or cost less then that

would have sealed the deal on this.

As for this discussion about knees ... I don't remember any knees and I don't think

it takes away anything from my childhood memories if it had them back then and

doesn't have them now. I'm not really into knees anyway. :)

Let it be known that I never called him retarded.

I said "I offically declare this to be Retarded."

I did not use a personal pronoun. The way that thread was going and the entire basic argument is retarded.

Do it have knees which bend? Well when it falls on its ass it appears to have knees. Are knees shown in use any other time? Does the SDF-1 walk and squat to take a crap in every episode? NO. Are knees really required for this toy to simulate what it is suppose to be like? NO.

Some how this became a long agrument.

And that sir is just retarded.

Look, it's pretty clear the SDF-1 has knees and they are shown both in the lineart and the movie. You totally ragged on the guy when he was at least partially right and you were partially wrong . He should be allowed to continue posting.

i agree.

i'm sure he(nor anyone else really) didn't have any kind words to share but its very difficult when everyone is trying to get their jabs in. i say bring the dude back, i honestly didn't see what he intially said was a good enough reason for a banning? people have said/done alot worse publically(atleast this guy said it in a PM)and they're somehow still around?

don't get me wrong, what he(mega)said was somewhat silly and it was kind of retarded to diss the site/series, but not so much so that people had to take their gloves off and get buck on him.

i dunno, things here seemed so nice for the past few then all this, over a post about how knees would've been cool on a toy? words are just words and this is just plain silly.

back to the topic at hand....

my purchasing and opinion on this toy could be swayed if there was a place i could actually see it and hold it. anyone want to send me theirs so i can check it out? :D

OK, here we go again...

The KNEES weren't the issue. The issue was that he was clearly flame baiting. And for the record, he wasn't banned straight away. Read the posts, he was warned, he kept up, he was suspended for 14 days, he told me to go F myself and that he was "done with this place anyway" I gave him his wish, plain and simple.

He's gone, it's over.

Do it have knees which bend? Well when it falls on its ass it appears to have knees.

So, it has an ass? :p

FYI, Tisinc is peddling their wares on Amazon.com now and they have this toy for $119 plus $8 shipping. That rivals or beats all of the ebay overseas prices I've seen. Also, if you have Amazon.com gift certificates like I happened to, you can snag it at a nice discount to boot.

I know they have a bad rep with some here but I figure they have to play it straight on sales thru Amazon or else. I ordered one and got the ship notice and tracking number the next day.