1/60 YF-19 and possible QC issues

Crazy Canuck II

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which release are you going to get and why...

• 1st (Screw QC I want it now)
    • 1st (What if it's the only release)
    • 1st (I'm betting the QC will be fine)
    • 1st (I'm a Sith I know the QC is fine )
    • 2nd (for $200, It has to be perfect)
    • 2nd (I'm waiting for the reviews)
    • 2nd (I can't afford it right now)
    • Undecided (That's why I'm here)

I have a problem... I'm worried about QC issues on the 1/60 YF-19 and can't decide if I should get the first run or wait for a second release... If there is one. I don't care about being the first kid on the block with one so that's not a problem. What I'm worried about is either there won't be a second run, or if there is, it will be that blue version from the game, or by the time Yamato does get around to a second run the price will go up. On the other hand the QC issue really bugs me because if you ask me it's a load of BS that QC may even be an issue with a $200 collectable. I really don't feel like having the experience tainted by floppy joints or other unexpected surprises. So I thought I'd put it out there and see what the rest of the community is thinking.

I am going to wait for a second issue, I think. I got burned by the VF-0S second issue. Besides for $200, it has better be close to perfect. I love my Yamato Valks, but I have noticed prices are starting to go up and that seriously disappoints me.

I'm gonna wait. Learned my lesson with the 1/60 vf-0. If I'm gonna pay alot of $$$, then I want one that does not need to improve on :angry: .

words of wisdom.

why buy any inferior toy because of impatience? if you've waited this long, what difference if its another month or 2 going to make after its release? i still haven't picked up the VF-0S because the fixed version is due out towards the end of this month. IMO, being patient is way better than being first to own a crappy version of the same toy.

I'm waiting for second run for various reasons. Waiting for any improvements that might be made from the first to the second run, waiting to see what I need to be careful about from reviews (what parts may be prone to breakage), and all that good stuff.

But I will get one. :)

I'm getting my first one in the first run...

It'll probably be the only time I can get one for $150... once the demand rises retailers might charge a couple of tens more for one...

The whole "wait for the second run" fiasco is a bit ridiculous to me though... it's a problem yamato started, and it bugs me when I think of why in the heck a toy at $150 or more should have the amount of QC issues yamato's got...

once the demand rises retailers might charge a couple of tens more for one...

if this were 2 years ago, i'd agree but....

if yamatos past counts for anything, they will certainly pump more of these out if/when theres a demand. they've done so numerous times already, 1a max, 1s roy, 1s hikaru, 1a hikaru, 1j hikaru, etc. if theres enough demand they'll reissue it, they're not stupid, if they can make money off the same mold they will...i.e. a whole lot of VF-1's.

also seeing as the 19 doesn't have too many varients, it would be in their best interest to make as many as the fans will buy and continue to buy. i can guess that they will come out with the 19A blue version since they do have the license and its been proven that it will sell. i also see a grey LV schemed 19 because its been proven that the fans will buy non-canon varients.

sorry but your logic is flawed captain. :D

if this were 2 years ago, i'd agree but....

if yamatos past counts for anything, they will certainly pump more of these out if/when theres a demand. they've done so numerous times already, 1a max, 1s roy, 1s hikaru, 1a hikaru, 1j hikaru, etc. if theres enough demand they'll reissue it, they're not stupid, if they can make money off the same mold they will...i.e. a whole lot of VF-1's.

also seeing as the 19 doesn't have too many varients, it would be in their best interest to make as many as the fans will buy and continue to buy. i can guess that they will come out with the 19A blue version since they do have the license and its been proven that it will sell. i also see a grey LV schemed 19 because its been proven that the fans will buy non-canon varients.

sorry but your logic is flawed captain. :D

??

I never said they wouldn't reissue it... why would I mention a FIRST run if that was the ONLY run I thought would come out?

A second run for the yf-19 is something I consider the surest of things... it's popularity WARRANTS it.

My whole comment about not liking the whole "wait for the second run" was with the QC issues yamato SHOULDN'T have with the money they're demanding (staying on the topic) NOT whether if they'll be a second run...

Sorry, but the way you read is flawed skipper. :lol:;)

When retailers get a hold of the second runs, they often charge $10-$20 more than they charged for the first run. When the wait is long enough between the runs, prices CAN and have gone up for some... For something as popular as the yf-19, I kinda expect it... That means I might have to pay $10 to $20 bucks more and wait 3-4 months for one... Since I plan to buy two, I'm buying one now and a POSSIBLY "less flawed one" later on...

is my logic clear to you now? B))

Although not entirely Yamato's fault, I wonder if QC problems can be eliminated at the 1st release this time round. Maybe Graham can (or already has) stated the fan's grievances when it comes to QC of Yamato stuff.

I actually wonder who's fault is it. Is it the factories that churn out the Yammies? Design problems stemming from resin to actual product? Are the blueprints for the toy done properly?

Although not entirely Yamato's fault, I wonder if QC problems can be eliminated at the 1st release this time round. Maybe Graham can (or already has) stated the fan's grievances when it comes to QC of Yamato stuff.

I actually wonder who's fault is it. Is it the factories that churn out the Yammies? Design problems stemming from resin to actual product? Are the blueprints for the toy done properly?

It's likely due to the factories in China that churn em out... the managers there have a job to check every outgoing batch and it's clear that they're sweeping stuff under the rug.

Usually with anything, the first batch is prone to issues because the workers are making something new and likely have no idea if a bloody skull is supposed to be parallel or or perpendicular to the V-stabs, etc...

To their credit, yamato has gotten a lot better with QC issues that originate from poor design, but regarding how much (or how little) they clamp down on their factories for continous quality issues remains a question... and thus I bring up the gripe I have with them... With the money they demand from us for one of these, they technically should be perfect. When I design a layout, I do a test print to see if everything is good to go... Yamato's test print seems to be the first batch... :rolleyes:

Regardless... the recent issues have been within my QC tolerance level, so I'm ready to buy at first batch... Everyone's different when it comes to this stuff...

Edited by Nani?!

Screw all that noise, I'm getting this sucker now! We all wanted long enough for this, so I'm not going to wait any longer. I will sleep better at night knowing I have one in the display case. I won't have to worry if they are going to re-issue another one. You never know, Yamato's manufacturing plant can burn down tomorrow! Besides, if they do re-issue a better one, I'll just sell the old one and buy the new one. There will always be buyers out there who won't know the difference.

Edited by dafunguy

Im kinda torn between wanting to hear some reviews, and wanting one striaght away. at almost $300 for the toy Australian, I want to be damn sure Im getting a good product. My first 0S is the first time i have had a QC issue with a Yamato Product, and thats after buying many of their Valks.

Ill hold off. Im sure they'll be around to buy for a long time once they hit.

I was ok with preordering the first run, until i saw this topic.

I 've placed my order and thats that, i wont cancel unless i get cold feet

or i find a better deal.

Edited by Macross73

Has the 1/48s ever been OOP? I'll definitely wait out the first run (see Garland, broken arms, etc). Besides, 'they' will probably improve the non flush-fitting collar piece before too long. For those who take the first bite, salut!

I bought into the VF-0, eventually. 2nd run, Japan-import shipment by seasoned local dealer. No glitches.

Gee. Finally have a report on the 2nd ed of the VF-0.

I think that in general, most of the later production runs of the VF-1 were pretty much fuss free. The only problem I came across is the lack of glue, and also a shitload of mess from the molding release agent. Ugh.

I will wait for the second run. I like to hear what others have to say before making any commitment.

If there is like a fragile area to be careful with or a risk that I will break something by accident, I will have warnings and pics from people who already got thiers. :D

Also because it is an expensive import, I like to take extra care. (I hope this thing is durable and packed well - no broken stuff like the tailfin for vf0 before you even open the box)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

When retailers get a hold of the second runs, they often charge $10-$20 more than they charged for the first run. When the wait is long enough between the runs, prices CAN and have gone up for some...

is my logic clear to you now? B))

the retailer you speak of is tisinc. i honestly can't remember a single instance where someone like VE, neova, samurai, tmp, or any other of the fan vendors that hang here do that? i try to stay buying from people who actually like macross, as opposed to those that like the profits of macross.

and i definitely agree that if theres a gap between production runs the price shoots up much like the $200 1A max, 1A hikaru, as well as the 1S hikaru. but if the past tells us anything, they'll reissue them, then the market will get flooded and the price will drop, people just have to be patient.

if its one thing i've learned from this hobby, theres no reason to pay more than MSRP for any of these toys. outside of a handful of valks(LV and M&Ms), yamato will continue to churn them out until the end of time. also lets not forget that the only people who we're in competition with(lack of a better word) to purhcase these toys is old dudes like us and were dropping like flies. :D