The 2nd Coming of the YF-19

wolfx

It seems the neck is a bit fat, sorry but I refused to read 50 pages..

426489[/snapback]

It seems that you have missed the new photos of the YF-19 mock ups. Alot can happen within those 50 pages!! Wolfx, can u edit the first post to include all of the photos as of now?

Edited by Briareos

Another of my infamous "how I'd do it pics". As usual, left one side alone, changed the other. See the top of the hip/intake? See how it's rounded and shortened like the battroid line art? And the large triangular piece behind it? That triangular piece above and behind the hip, visible from the front actually is correct to the REAR line-art--it magically disappears in frontal views. Pure anime magic--that piece HAS to go somewhere, and that's where it is. That's part of the reason there's such a discrepency between battroid and fighter modes there---Kawamori has that entire piece just go away so he can draw a short, round hip. BUT---if you go by the way the animators did it, and Kawamori's own REAR views of the battroid--it works fine. You get the sharp, angled look when looking at the fighter from above, and the round hip in battroid. Just have two different angles. Yamato did a SLIGHT change, but probably didn't do like I did because there's not "supposed" to be any visible pieces around the hip--even though it has to be there and should be there. It's far worse than a nosecone changing length---for the official battroid front view, that piece just disappears. Well, in 3D world it has to be there--thus it SHOULD be visible. But people don't expect it (since it's not in the art) so the compromise is to have a wrongly-shaped hip in battroid---wrong shape is better than "shape that shouldn't be there at all according to the magic lineart" apparently.

But you can fix that too! Just separate the two pieces. Have the "large triangular part" above/ behind the hip slide downwards, behind the hip. It totally works, and that's what the SHE VF-19S kit does. You can have the battroid hip be round, have the angular intakes in fighter mode, and hide the angular intake from battroid mode, all with a simple hinge allowing the piece to slide down behind the hip--so long as you separate the pieces.

heh heh--we've come full circle now. From the intake/hip separation, to the wings, and now back to the intake/hips. :)

19hip.jpg

Edited by David Hingtgen

I edited the first post of the thread to include the best pics of the protoype, so people won't have to hunt around. I'll try to keep up and edit it when needed so there's always a "easy to find" source of pics--if it's ok with wolfx.

Yep I agree: make seperate two pieces for hip. Is it too late?

The shoulders pieces in battroid would look cool if you could pose/angle them like the chunky bandai vf17. (you can have them straight or slightly raised up) But yeah it's looking just like the CAD pic.

So nobody could sneak a profile of the fighter? Looks like we got to wait for the magazines then? (hopefully they find a way to show mid-transformation pic too so we can see the "guts" of whats going on inside)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'm a bit dissapointed with battroid mode. It is no way near beefy enough. I think Yamato made a lot of compromises to the battroid mode to pull off a great fighter mode. Pretty much par for course for them though, so I was already expecting it. Oh well, the YF-19 probably relies on more anime magic than any other mech in the Macross universe, so this is still an amazing accomplisment. I must give credit where credit is due.

I'm still planning on purchasing this toy, but my preference for battroid mode was (probably unrealistically) hoping for more.

Same here.

I like to think of it this way: if it was bandai making a chunky monkey toy of the 19 we would probably see a nice battroid mode and fat fighter mode. With yamato I can live with fighter mode first (that is the machine is a fighter that turns into a robot rather than the other way around) and battroid second.

In my vision of the valks in macross, it is a skinny mecha designed for speed so it has a feminine look compared to the destroids and stuff. Things like the bubble hands from the tv series were only drawn so the artists had an easy time drawing it. (some of the shots of the battroid look deformed too, like they have a chunky munkey body) But the DYRL hands that are slim and can slide into the sleeve, although looking less beefy, are more what a TF machine would look like. I can accept a skinny mecha everytime when I think of it in this way. (rather than thinking of battroid first)

I hope for skinny stuff like the vf11 they actually beef it up a little though. I'm not as big a fan of this mecha in battroid as I am in fighter mode.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'm pretty sure it's too late as I sent drawings/explanation of this to Graham the day the CAD was first posted, and he said it was too late then.

Still--the SHE VF-19S did a variation of this and it helps a lot, don't know why Yamato seems unaware of it. Now, the SHE YF-19 didn't do this, and it suffers from "overly square hips" as a result. I'm guessing Yamato only knows the SHE YF-19 for reference, not the improved-transformation VF-19S model. The SHE VF-19S actually splits it front/back instead of top/bottom--I think so they can re-use some YF-19 parts or not have to mess with thr transformation. But starting from scratch like Yamato did, you should be able to do the better top/bottom split. Here's the SHE--the hip is actually "multiple angles" instead of round--but it's still a lot better than the new YF-19. Also look at the upper right pic--that's a rear view showing what would be the "upper" half of the intake, as a separate piece mounted behind the hips and slid down on a hinge.

shehip.jpg

Also it allows a shorter torso, so the battroid isn't so tall and skinny--with the upper edges of the intake moved down behind the hips, you can move the torso lower and still have room.

Edited by David Hingtgen

It seems that the canopy doesn't split to open as a front and end section like the anime but rather it opens as one piece like the 1/72 version. It's too bad. I rather liked that feature of the cockpit.

There aren't any transparent parts for the wingtip landing lights. It looks like they've decided to lower costs and paint them in this time.

Another of my infamous "how I'd do it pics".  As usual, left one side alone, changed the other.  See the top of the hip/intake?  See how it's rounded and shortened like the battroid line art?  And the large triangular piece behind it?  That triangular piece above and behind the hip, visible from the front actually is correct to the REAR line-art--it magically disappears in frontal views.  Pure anime magic--that piece HAS to go somewhere, and that's where it is.  That's part of the reason there's such a discrepency between battroid and fighter modes there---Kawamori has that entire piece just go away so he can draw a short, round hip.  BUT---if you go by the way the animators did it, and Kawamori's own REAR views of the battroid--it works fine.  You get the sharp, angled look when looking at the fighter from above, and the round hip in battroid.  Just have two different angles.  Yamato did a SLIGHT change, but probably didn't do like I did because there's not "supposed" to be any visible pieces around the hip--even though it has to be there and should be there.  It's far worse than a nosecone changing length---for the official battroid front view, that piece just disappears.  Well, in 3D world it has to be there--thus it SHOULD be visible.  But people don't expect it (since it's not in the art) so the compromise is to have a wrongly-shaped hip in battroid---wrong shape is better than "shape that shouldn't be there at all according to the magic lineart" apparently. 

But you can fix that too!  Just separate the two pieces.  Have the "large triangular part" above/ behind the hip slide downwards, behind the hip.  It totally works, and that's what the SHE VF-19S kit does.  You can have the battroid hip be round, have the angular intakes in fighter mode, and hide the angular intake from battroid mode, all with a simple hinge allowing the piece to slide down behind the hip--so long as you separate the pieces.   

heh heh--we've come full circle now.  From the intake/hip separation, to the wings, and now back to the intake/hips.  :)

19hip.jpg

426503[/snapback]

That would be just perfect!!

Ok, this time I actually have the upper intake move like the SHE kit--the previous pic merely had it as a separate, yet fixed piece. No fancy hinges, it simply slides straight down just a bit--yet makes a big difference visually.

19hip2.jpg

Edited by David Hingtgen

Ok, this time I actually have the upper intake move like the SHE kit--the previous pic merely had it as a separate, yet fixed piece.  No fancy hinges, it simply slides straight down just a bit--yet makes a big difference visually.

19hip2.jpg

426548[/snapback]

meh.... it's better as it is.

I want an accurate 3D replica as best as it can be... I dont even consider kawamori's lineart to be accurate in terms of what the yf-19 will be in flesh and blood... and what yamato's got now is pretty close...

sithlord---GERWALK's out there, go check the first post.

As for magnets--I'd be the leg-mounted FAST packs. A YF-19's are very similar to the VF-0's. Never did like the "clip over the ventral fin" they did for the VF-11.

As for the canopy hinge--I'm betting it's not the right way due to transformation. Anyone who's had the original knows how the nose folds down 90 degrees right at the end of the canopy's front, and has to be transformed part-way to even get the canopy to open or close. I can't really think of a way to get the canopy to hinge open to the front while maintaining the transformation. The nosecone has to be horizontal, and the canopy has to be vertical, in battroid mode. You'd need the hinge itself to split in half, as it goes right over the separation line.

Edited by David Hingtgen

As for the canopy hinge--I'm betting it's not the right way due to transformation.  Anyone who's had the original knows how the nose folds down 90 degrees right at the end of the canopy's front, and has to be transformed part-way to even get the canopy to open or close.  I can't really think of a way to get the canopy to hinge open to the front while maintaining the transformation.  The nosecone has to be horizontal, and the canopy has to be vertical, in battroid mode.  You'd need the hinge itself to split in half, as it goes right over the separation line.

426556[/snapback]

Yeah, it was obvious that the transformation got in the way but that's an issue that can be worked around i think. Instead of a 90 degree cut of the nose section, some space could have been allocated for the forward canopy hinge. This is just nitpicking I suppose. I'm quite satisfied with the way the toy looks so far. However I would be dissappointed if the inner cockpit is exposed during transformation.

I love the YF-19 and I'll be buying at least one but I must say that battloid mode looks very anorexic. It has this giant cod piece and then scrawny legs and chest. It still looks fantastic but it doesn't look quite as rough as the vehicle we saw in the anime. I think having the flat shoulders makes the "more refined, less rough" look even more prominent. GERWALK on the YF-19 has always been horrible for every toy rendition, I'll definitely hold off judgement until I have one in my hands. I think previous incarnations were best summed up with "Ooh look, big floppy mess between modes." It's not really the toy manufacturers faults entirely, I think the mode is a total afterthought in the design also.

Edited by jenius

Why do they tease us with so few pics. I want to see a side profile of the fighter with gears extended and gunpod attached.

426575[/snapback]

Dude, they didn't even have permission to take these photos. :lol: That was the best they can do.

Wow!.... Very impressive. They've done a great job balancing the three modes. The wing size seems perfect in these pics. I wonder if it's the angle or if Yamato made changes. The gunpod still seems a little on the small side and the legs seem too wide apart, but both are far from deal breakers for me. I think I'll be getting two of these one initial release and one after the inevitable QC problems are fixed. Plus that way I can display both fighter and battroid modes.

Now that I've seen what a good job yamato has done with the 19 I can't wait to see what they come up with for the 21... If they make it... Which we all know they will. :p

Edited by Crazy Canuck II

Why do they tease us with so few pics. I want to see a side profile of the fighter with gears extended and gunpod attached.

426575[/snapback]

Dude, they didn't even have permission to take these photos. :lol: That was the best they can do.

426582[/snapback]

Besides, everyone knows you always have to keep your audience wanting more. If this was deliberate, I'd say it was brilliant marketing.

Now that I've seen what a good job yamato has done with the 19 I can't wait to see what they come up with for the 21... If they make it... Which we all know they will. :p

426583[/snapback]

But let's make sure Yamato knows we all want our 1/60 VF-11's first. :)

:huh:

Right guys? ...guys?

:(

I think I might have just figured out a way for it to work.

Ok, on the prototype pics, the grey part right ahead of the canopy. That should move with the clear parts--it's the main part of the problem. You can also see there's a hinge at the front of the windscreen. If that hinge is actually for the grey part to rotate downwards 90 degrees in battroid mode and not the canopy's own hinge, I think it could work.

If the hinge for the canopy to move is inside the grey section, and the grey section isn't attached to the nosecone but rather is attached via that hinge to the cockpit, then you can fold the nosecone down 90 degrees---but leaving the grey section with the cockpit. Then, you can fold the grey part down 90 degrees so the chest can still fit over the cockpit. Though I still have to figure out a canopy hinge that will allow it to move up in fighter, yet still allow the grey piece to fold down along ITS hinge. We still get into the "have to separate the hinge itself" problem... Maybe if the transformation involves connecting and disconnecting the canopy from its hinge every time---but it'd have to be really easy to not get annoying. Plus that's already a historically fragile part, be even worse if you had to mess with it all the time.

im not to fussed on if the cockpit gets exposed at the front for transformation. i mean, its only when changing, and as long as it doesnt look open in the other modes, who cares, right?

my main concern for the transformed mode is the legs. They were all floppy at the hips on the old one, and i just hope this one is steadier. The bandai VF19 had a nice stable transformation, so i hope we get something solid like that.

What I thought, but wasn't sure.  (Not owning a VF-0 and all---still waiting for either a D model, or a different scheme---I kinda like ANIME low-vis, but not Kawamori's ret-con of it--which isn't low-vis at all IMHO---more like a Heater-Ferris scheme--which tend to be the highest-vis schemes of all, based on visual detection range)

426369[/snapback]

Even I didn't know that and I've got one!

post-466-1155993172_thumb.jpg

Gee....thanks Graham for suggesting that they needed a redesign the VF-0 to attach a Ghost..... <_< Grr!  :(

Yamato really thought ahead on this one.

426370[/snapback]

Perhaps they either have magnets inside the fusealge so you can't see them on this prototype or the panel where the booster mounts is removeable and replaces with one solid piece that has the booster permantely attached to it thus eliminating the problem of the booster falling off during *ahem* test flights.

Either way the YF-19 is looking gorgeous.

426374[/snapback]

You know....now I wonder about that Yamato guy how is the Ghost going to stay on the back of the battroid?

What I thought, but wasn't sure.  (Not owning a VF-0 and all---still waiting for either a D model, or a different scheme---I kinda like ANIME low-vis, but not Kawamori's ret-con of it--which isn't low-vis at all IMHO---more like a Heater-Ferris scheme--which tend to be the highest-vis schemes of all, based on visual detection range)

426369[/snapback]

Even I didn't know that and I've got one!

post-466-1155993172_thumb.jpg

Gee....thanks Graham for suggesting that they needed a redesign the VF-0 to attach a Ghost..... <_< Grr!  :(

Yamato really thought ahead on this one.

426370[/snapback]

Perhaps they either have magnets inside the fusealge so you can't see them on this prototype or the panel where the booster mounts is removeable and replaces with one solid piece that has the booster permantely attached to it thus eliminating the problem of the booster falling off during *ahem* test flights.

Either way the YF-19 is looking gorgeous.

426374[/snapback]

You know....now I wonder about that Yamato guy how is the Ghost going to stay on the back of the battroid?

426621[/snapback]

Animagic. :rolleyes:

Can't anyone find any more pics of the prototypes? I'd try to find some myself but I can't read one word of Japanese so searching Japanese sites is out of the question for me.

Hundreds of people must have walked past the Yamato stand and only two people were able to take some pics? :(

Edited by Dante74