The 2nd Coming of the YF-19

wolfx

2.  Nose sensors.  (the red ones on the sides of the nosecone).  They look 100x better when they're clear red, as we've all seen from the kit build-ups here.  If at all possible, please convince Yamato to have them as separate clear-red parts (like they do for the landing lights on the 1/48 VF-1), and not just "red paint on the nose". 

425259[/snapback]

You should already be able to tell how Yamato have done the sensors, from te magazine pics already posted.

After the VF-0S, do you eally think Yamato woold revert back to painted sensors.

Graham

2.  Nose sensors.  (the red ones on the sides of the nosecone).  They look 100x better when they're clear red, as we've all seen from the kit build-ups here.  If at all possible, please convince Yamato to have them as separate clear-red parts (like they do for the landing lights on the 1/48 VF-1), and not just "red paint on the nose". 

425259[/snapback]

You should already be able to tell how Yamato have done the sensors, from te magazine pics already posted.

After the VF-0S, do you eally think Yamato woold revert back to painted sensors.

Graham

425440[/snapback]

We have no idea, only you are privy to that info. :p

I stared at the pics and couldn't tell. And I've seen PLENTY of companies (toys/models/planes/etc) "revert" all the time. They'll introduce something, people will love it, then the next release will go back to the old way, cost more, and then they wonder why it doesn't sell as well...

Progress is absolutely NOT a given with model planes and toys. (See the ways in which the FP YF-21 and FP VF-11 are inferior to the first release---did anyone like the purple YF-21 and its plain grey plastic engines?)

PS---Having owned two M+ VF-11B's, I'm now ready for a VF-11C. If Yamato makes a new VF-11, they have to make a C model as well. Changes are few, and none are on the valk itself. We only need a new gunpod, new nozzles on the back-mounted booster packs, and the elimination of half the missle ports on the booster packs. It's the best of both worlds---much more than a mere repaint, but doesn't affect the actual valk's mold at all---it's all the "other" parts that need to be changed.

The M7 VF-11C scheme is pretty nice, almost VF-1J Skull colors, and frankly is about the most commonly seen valk onscreen of all-time. It might even beat cannon-fodder VF-1A's. Heck, I think more VF-11C's even get blown up than VF-1A's.

Also, I think a VF-11D should be possible, as it's just a cockpit change--and the VF-11's cockpit doesn't slide under anything, it just sits out in front. Should be easy to mold without affecting anything. Though most people would want the custom Jamming Birds FAST packs I think, not standard M7-era VF-11 packs.

I stared at the pics and couldn't tell.  And I've seen PLENTY of companies (toys/models/planes/etc) "revert" all the time.  They'll introduce something, people will love it, then the next release will go back to the old way, cost more, and then they wonder why it doesn't sell as well...

Progress is absolutely NOT a given with model planes and toys.  (See the ways in which the FP YF-21 and FP VF-11 are inferior to the first release---did anyone like the purple YF-21 and its plain grey plastic engines?)

PS---Having owned two M+ VF-11B's, I'm now ready for a VF-11C.  If Yamato makes a new VF-11, they have to make a C model as well.  Changes are few, and none are on the valk itself.  We only need a new gunpod, new nozzles on the back-mounted booster packs, and the elimination of half the missle ports on the booster packs.  It's the best of both worlds---much more than a mere repaint, but doesn't affect the actual valk's mold at all---it's all the "other" parts that need to be changed.   

The M7 VF-11C scheme is pretty nice, almost VF-1J Skull colors, and frankly is about the most commonly seen valk onscreen of all-time.  It might even beat cannon-fodder VF-1A's.  Heck, I think more VF-11C's even get blown up than VF-1A's. 

Also, I think a VF-11D should be possible, as it's just a cockpit change--and the VF-11's cockpit doesn't slide under anything, it just sits out in front.  Should be easy to mold without affecting anything.  Though most people would want the custom Jamming Birds FAST packs I think, not standard M7-era VF-11 packs.

425447[/snapback]

If a company wants to make a drastic change to an existing mold won't they just copy the mold entirely and use that for operations, rather than completely change an existing mold to the point of no return?

You don't need to change the whole mold. I doubt Yamato has multiple complete sets of VF-1 molds, with only the head different. They probably have 1 mold which has 99% of the parts, and several separate head molds. They also wouldn't have multiple FAST pack sets, with and without beam cannons. The mold probably produces 2 missile and 1 beam cannon at a time, and they just don't give you the "extra" part. That's how model companies do it. There is no F-14A, F-14B mold, and F-14D mold. There's a "master" F-14 mold which has most of the parts, then smaller molds dedicated to the parts specific to each version. A VF-11D "mold" wouldn't be a new valk, they'd make whole VF-11's (original canopy and all) and just not use the parts they didn't need. And add in the "new" parts from a new little VF-11D-exclusive mold. Far cheaper to waste 3.2 cents worth of plastic, than make a whole new mold that didn't incorporate the unneeded parts. Model companies toss out half the parts on some molds--very common on ship models. And you don't even waste the parts--you just melt them back down to make more. The cost of unneeded parts is almost nil. So all those un-used VF-11C heads and noses go back into the vat of melted plastic--it's already the same stuff, same color, and pure. Kinda like making gingerbread cookies----once you've cut out all you can, you take the excess, mix it together, and roll it out and use it again.

I forgot the VF-11D has a different head, and that the nozzle change on the VF-11C is enough to warrant all-new boosters. But anyways, the point is:

Most variants of the VF-11 are only a gunpod and back-mounted booster change. You can do a LOT of variants (even the Elintseeker verson) without having to change the valk itself at all. (And a new head would be very easy, Yamato has quite a bit of experience in making new heads for valks). The VF-11's cockpit is the only actual change, and with the VF-11's transformation, even an all-new nose and cockpit would have no affect on any other part at all. Heck, you could stick a F-14's nose on the VF-11 and it wouldn't affect how it transforms.

PS to anyone who remembers/can go look----did the "Elintseeker" VF-11's in M7 wear the standard scheme, and what color was the radar dish? Were they just the standard white, or something unique?

Edited by David Hingtgen

Righty-ho.

Don't know if you can have an etc for the YF-21. Doesn't include much in the way of FP. But then again, it would be bigger than the 19's FP that's for sure.

Technically the 19 should have a thicker shield but I don't know if they will do that. Maybe they should, cause the 19 don't have that much to go bny in terms of accessories. Both prototype fighters in fact. The only one being the 11.

425400[/snapback]

Erm... by size, the FAST packs on the YF-21 are larger than those on the YF-19. Just have a look at the underside - where do the internally mounted gun pods go when there's no ventral FAST packs? Also, the YF-21 gets an additional 4 (2 per pack) dogfight missile launcher (and I suspect a pair of long range missile launchers) from the ventral packs.

Not to mention the fold booster...

A FAST pack upgraded YF-19 doesn't mean a thicker shield. I believe that that is only a falicy perpetuated by a mistake by someone who made RPG stats way back when.

The dual gunpods sit somewhere on the belly even without the fast packs on yf21. (I actually posted some lineart a few pages back both with and without the FP) I'm not sure how it will work for the toy though..Maybe they will use magnets or something?..

edit:

page with yf21 belly lineart (shows both gunpods with FP and without FP):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...ic=19382&st=840

So unlike the 1/72 hopefully they find some way to have them there without FP..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

To add to to david's queries:

In rgds to the nose optical sensors, i doubt yamato would revert back to painted sensors for the nose area as they have done a pretty good job with that of the VF0S, it simply serves no point to ruin the looks of a beautiful masterpiece with cost saving measures.

In addition, there is something i wish to ask, in which graham only knows: What abt the optical sensors on the eyepiece of the YF-19 head, is it painted or of a clear tinted plastic piece as that of the 1/48 or 1/60 VF-0S?

Cheers

Edited by recon

I read and read and read and couldn't find it. I saw the VF-0 for the first time in real life the other night and it's flippin' huge.

Now I know the 19 is 1/60th as well.....what kind of comparison are we looking at?

Same size? Bigger? Smaller? I am curious.

If anyone knows that'd be great.

- C

Should be around 31 centimeters. Very close to all of the largest scale fighters so far. Fighter mode only though. I can't find any data on the battroid height.

Edited by kensei

Aw shucks, was hoping it would be taller/longer than the VF-0S

425789[/snapback]

According to the Compendium:

YF-19 is 18.62m length in fighter mode.

VF-0S is 18.69m length in fighter mode.

Close, but the 19 is a bit shorter.

Graham

tks for the info Graham, any idea when would we see the next installment pics of battroid or gerwalk modes of the YF-19 in hobby magazines? Hopefully we get to see actual product pics somewhere around the October/November period

tks for the info Graham, any idea when would we see the next installment pics of battroid or gerwalk modes of the YF-19 in hobby magazines? Hopefully we get to see actual product pics somewhere around the October/November period

425812[/snapback]

I don't know about that... as much as Yamato probably wants to release the products to take our money I think they are waaaaaay too busy at the moment.

425812[/snapback]

I'm sure that someone attending the show will take some happy snaps...even if they are not allowed. :rolleyes:

Hey Graham--if the YF-19 is to be unveiled on the 19th, any chance you could get permission to show us some stuff here say, a few hours before "random pics from Japanese sites" get posted from the show?

Or even if not, could we get some good/exclusive pics after it's unveiled? Surely there's gotta be something you'd be allowed to show us here once it's unveiled to the masses.

Hey Graham--if the YF-19 is to be unveiled on the 19th, any chance you could get permission to show us some stuff here say, a few hours before "random pics from Japanese sites" get posted from the show?

Or even if not, could we get some good/exclusive pics after it's unveiled?  Surely there's gotta be something you'd be allowed to show us here once it's unveiled to the masses.

426001[/snapback]

Hi all,

I second this notion....!

lets not bug Graham too much about the pictures or further details regarding the YF-19.

God knows he was to maintain the privilege of holding on to exclusive information =P

just kidding but i know he'll give us additional information as soon as he can with Yamato's permission. so let's not expect too much out of him besides officially permitted release of information.

^_^

besides, the Chara Hobby event's just a couple of days away. we can wait, right? we've waited years for it anyway, what's a couple days more?