The 2nd Coming of the YF-19

wolfx

What I want is for the legs to be detachable even IF it is PT. Because in the show guld ejects them to take out the ghost. Because it is allowed to be able to do it. I think it would be a neat gimmick.

427435[/snapback]

when did Guld do that? AFAIK, he ejects the fastpacks, not the legs....

I swear if we look back on like page three I said "Why doesn't Yamato just used a collapsible landing gear to get rid of that gut?" and the average response was like "No, that's dumb, I'd rather have a big gull gut on this thing because I don't think Yamato can sensibly engineer a collapsing landing gear that would work." (yes, I'm paraphrasing and using hyperbole to make my argument sound better:)) It's funny to see the idea pop back up again but good to see it's drawing the same reaction. Personally, I think the idea that Yamato couldn't make a collapsing landing gear that'd work to be pretty... um, strange.

What I want is for the legs to be detachable even IF it is PT. Because in the show guld ejects them to take out the ghost. Because it is allowed to be able to do it. I think it would be a neat gimmick.

427435[/snapback]

when did Guld do that? AFAIK, he ejects the fastpacks, not the legs....

427496[/snapback]

It happens at about the end of the movie. The ghost shoots up the arms and legs and figures him for dead. Then Guld ejects them and continues fighting, kinda cool. I hope they add it to the 1/60 Yf-21, be pretty neat to have spring loaded ejecto-legs and arms.

I always thought they were blasted off the same way the YF-19 and -21 lose their FAST packs earlier when they fight each other (they each lose a major piece at the same time)---and I'd have to frame-by-frame, but I thought one arm was gone already at the start of the scene, then the Ghost blasts off the other three limbs, then Guld transforms and rams it with what's left of the YF-21.

Regardless of how it happens, the point is that the YF-21 can still transform into fighter mode and fight having lost most of its battroid mode (including the entire belly-plate assembly)---which is pretty cool. If any other valk loses its arms and legs--there's not much left. :)

Not knowing enough about the mechanics involved could yamato pull off a collapsing landing gear? It would interesing to see but I still wonder about the durability of it overtime. Its just that small parts are so fragile and then theres the idea of breaking one by accident.

but I thought one arm was gone already at the start of the scene, then the Ghost blasts off the other three limbs, then Guld transforms and rams it with what's left of the YF-21.

just checked:

(movie edition)

all limbs were there, then the ghost blasts off three of them. A big firey explosion then covers the yf21, we see it fall into darkness with all limbs blown off (not fully but at about half length), does his cheeky grin, and then...he ejects all the limbs, (what's left of the limbs hanging off the 21 as it falls and spins) proceeds to transform into fighter and you know the rest..

1. remains of the limbs still hanging off the body after ghost blew about half of each limb off:

limbremainsnu9.th.jpg

2. limbs being ejected simultaneously (not merely falling or dropping off):

limbejectiontm5.th.jpg

When you see this part of the sequence, pay attention to how they are violently pushed away.

3. limbs fully detached from the yf21 after ejection:

limbfullydetachedue7.th.jpg

^now all limbs are cleanly off, not with part of it still attached like after being shot by the ghost.

..just after this he transforms into fighter mode. If the limbs are useless: why not shed some weight and use that to your advantage?

Hikaru does something similar in SDF:Macross when he ejects the arms of his VF1S after using up all his ammo and just before landing on earth in the rain of death episode.

I love endings where mecha get wrecked and smashed! :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

It was the most awesome ending. I wish I knew enough to make a "Perfect Edition of M+, adding the VF-11 Thunderbolt fighter scene with Isamu at the beginning, to the movie as a whole. It would all have to be in Japanese though. The ending to the Movie edition was wicked.

Edited by kensei

If they ever get around to making a toy regult I hope they make the legs ejectable too. hehe

Remember that episode where the regult just ejects the leg and flies off into space? :D I never expected that it could just do that. I'm not even sure if that was canon: Because then what would be the point of the regult running back into the carrier (shown in early episode of the tv series) if they could just fly off by themselves like that? (reminds me of the dodgy episode with roy flying out of the earth atmpsphere without any kind of booster)

While cool, I don't want to Yamato to do anythying that will compromise the durability and posability of the YF-21. If you want to have the legs and arms fly off in all directions have at it with a screwdriver. :p:lol:

Edited by kensei

May I ask why it's such a big deal if a part such as the wheels is removable? I can't speak for everyone but I know the majority of MW'ers are adults. Hell, some of you might even have adult children. What I am trying to say is save for the accuracy of the toy, is it really so bad that some parts could/should be removable? Are you going to lose them? Do you transform it so much that you will get tired of putting the parts back on?

I am really only talking about the landing gear as that has been a HUGE issue brought up here a lot about all of the various jets talked about here.

Not bashing. Just curious. As far as I am concerned if it looks great, transforms better, is tighter, has better QC etc....put the wheels in an extra baggy and pop them in when it's in jet form.

same. I just like the idea of having them.

i see no real hassle with putting in at leasta swivel so the wheels sit in the housing sideways. i think the sliding in and out nose tube might be a bit much. While not impossible, I see it as adding cost to make without really afdding a tonne to the toy.

As for ejecto limbs, Im with Kensei; I tdoesnt need to have em, and I forsee it being more problematic than solving problems

I don't like a lot of spare parts on a toy, because then you have to keep track of them. I prefer a toy that can carry all of its critical parts.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to removable landing gear if it gave the fighter mode a significantly better appearance. But I do find it amusing that folks are getting so worked up about it, since it seems that Yamato has already designed the toy and the chances of the YF-19 having removable landing gear are essentially zero. Nothing wrong with doing 'what ifs', but don't get too excited about something that's not gonna happen. :D

I don't like a lot of spare parts on a toy, because then you have to keep track of them.  I prefer a toy that can carry all of its critical parts.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to removable landing gear if it gave the fighter mode a significantly better appearance.  But I do find it amusing that folks are getting so worked up about it, since it seems that Yamato has already designed the toy and the chances of the YF-19 having removable landing gear are essentially zero.  Nothing wrong with doing 'what ifs', but don't get too excited about something that's not gonna happen.  :D

427652[/snapback]

People to this day "what-if" about issues with VF-1 toys (including me ;) ), but we all know Yamato will not change these, so we continue to shell out money for repaints of the same old toy.

From one perspective, we just like to complain to vent and see if others feel the same way. From another perspective, most Macross fans have been starving for goodies since childhood, and now that we finally have the money and there's a company that is marketing high-end stuff, we want absolute perfection. The definition of absolute perfection is of course subject to debate (hence these type of threads).

I never figured out why the head is "double layered/folded"--no others do it, it's totally contradictory to the lineart, and it doesn't seem to improve anything.  My only guess is "artistic style to alter the length of the forward fuselage".

427428[/snapback]

That would be my guess as well. I think they tought the fighter mode would look too short if they followed the lineart exactly.

Carl

I love the D'stance. I actually have pictures of it saved on my computer. (I collect all kinds of Macross pics from the internet because I'm weird I guess.) The only thing I can see about it that strays from absolute perfection is that the heat shield seems to be stuck on? Can you take that gray piece off?

Oh, and although I've only seen a few pictures of that purple SHE valk, WOW. Don't get mad at me for saying this but that puts the YF19 1/60 to shame.

As for toy collecting, I prefer a 100+ dollar Macross toy to have as few removable parts as possible. That means, none, if it can be done.

I love the D'stance. I actually have pictures of it saved on my computer. (I collect all kinds of Macross pics from the internet because I'm weird I guess.) The only thing I can see about it that strays from absolute perfection is that the heat shield seems to be stuck on? Can you take that gray piece off?

Oh, and although I've only seen a few pictures of that purple SHE valk, WOW. Don't get mad at me for saying this but that puts the YF19 1/60 to shame.

As for toy collecting, I prefer a 100+ dollar Macross toy to have as few removable parts as possible. That means, none, if it can be done.

427765[/snapback]

Purple SHE valk?

Should be blue, don't know if it's the scan or the photo or the model itself. It's a VF-19S from Macross 7, in Emerald Force colors (the counterpart to Gamlin's Diamond Force).

Here's the boxart, looks much better there: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models.../she_vf19sb.jpg

Anyways, I was thinking earlier we should split off the YF-21/VF-11 discussion into a new thread, and Nani started one today, so all non-YF-19 comments should go there starting now. (Any "new M+ valk" thread inevitably turns into "all of them" as they are so linked--we KNOW a new -21 has to be coming because of the new -19)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Is it fragile and stuff? One of the arguments against doing it is that people said: that is going to be a "QC nightmare". Really though, for the money and attention that goes into other things, I think it is worth trying to make better landing gear for future releases.

Nah, It's been like that since I got it. And with the new 19, don't think in spending more time with it. Will keep it for reference. :D

Edit: 1/1 LowViz Yes its a bit fragile, but I think someone with more skill and better tools can make something a lot better than I did. The idea is simple, just needs the minds and the will to do it.

Edited by Gatillero PR

Or since a mass-production one from Yamato would likely use metal, it should be very strong if implemented. Any hobby shop should have fine tubing and rods of aluminum and steel---often used for structural reinforcement for kits, or R/C planes.