Official Transformers Super Thread 3

Looks like I'm waiting for a repaint of SS.  I just don't like that greenish-grey, realistic or not.  He'd look cool in a black and grey "stealth" deco...

418192[/snapback]

Especially if they stuck katanas into the hip holsters...

NINJA!

Did anyone watch G4 for the Transformation exclusive when they aired at Comic-con? Or was Peter Cullen the big exclusive?

418231[/snapback]

I'm about 15 minutes into the midnight rerun and nothing big has come up.

EDIT: Alright. Around the 26 minute mark one of the Producers showed up to confirm that Cullen would indeed be playing the role of Prime. He also mentioned that the Autobot leader would clock in around 36 feet tall. The whole presentation seemed quite lackluster considering only a few dozen fans were around the set. Oh well.....that's Attack of the Show for ya.

Edited by UN Spacy

Looks like I'm waiting for a repaint of SS.  I just don't like that greenish-grey, realistic or not.  He'd look cool in a black and grey "stealth" deco...

418192[/snapback]

It's really funny, normally I love the unpainted protos but feel disapointment once they get colored. Here I'm feeling compleatly the opposite way. I did not like the uncolored protos at all, but I really dig it when colored up. Weird. As for the toon colors. It looks like I'm going to have to pay through the rear on ebay for one :(

The color of SS doesn't really look all that bad. Looks more like a hardened warrior now than a fruity fairy with the cartoon colors. I'll be getting one of these for sure.

418030[/snapback]

It amazes me how much everyone is turning a blinf eye to how much

"His High Froatiness" has utterly screwed up what was going to be an

awesome toy. Now it is seriously less appealing to the market on either

side of the pacific from some of the comments I have read elsewhere.

Yet everyone lately just lets it "froat" on by because it Kawamori.

:angry:

Edited by Chindenathus

awesome toy.  Now it is seriously less appealing to the market on either

418277[/snapback]

You know maybe, just maybe, some people actually like how this toy is turning out, and they do because they personally think it looks fantastic and not because of some irrational devotion to some guy in Japan they've never even met.

Woah, crazy concept, huh?

You know, finally seeing the colour scheme myself, I actually like it quite a bit. If anything, I'm horribly dissapointed that MP Prime doesn't look nearly as good next to this Starscream.

You know what else? I feel this way because I actually, honestly like the design.

And the real kicker, I don't like every single design Kawamori kicks out. I dislike the mecha in Eureka 7, and absolutely despise his designs from Aquarion.

Finally, and this might completely blow the minds of some people, but I sincerely doubt that Kawamori is forcing this revision of the character onto Takara. I imagine, in my crazy, messed up vision of reality, that Takara is quite possibly paying Kawamori money to make this toy, and maybe even preferes this version. I also imagine, in my mind, that if Takara did not like it, they would have said "no, thank you" and stuck to the first incarnation we'd all seen.

I know, I'm crazy right?

Edited by Radd

You're nuts Radd! How could anyone like this design and color scheme? People (like ME) must be crazy for liking this.

Who really cares if the color isn't exactly like a real F15? Who cares that it isn't exactly like the cartoon? It's a bad ass jet that transforms into a bad ass robot. What more do you need?

Who really cares if the color isn't exactly like a real F15? Who cares that it isn't exactly like the cartoon? It's a bad ass jet that transforms into a bad ass robot. What more do you need?

how about SS with his decipticon crown of leadership as a nice side dish?

I got my Megs and Primal yesterday, I'm really dissapointed in Primal the most, but Megatron really is clever lookin gin his transformation and his overall look.

but for the size I was a lil shocked, they're really small, same scale type as the others, which was a surprise to see, I was expecting them to really be a bit bigger.

I'm now going to be gunning for Mirage, and Prime, and Nemesis, I managed to find a cheap supplier today, and all I gotta do is put my check in the bank and when I get home hope they're still available. I'll probably go with Prime and Nemesis first seeing as I still have low funds, but really need to get those before it's too late.

The color of SS doesn't really look all that bad. Looks more like a hardened warrior now than a fruity fairy with the cartoon colors. I'll be getting one of these for sure.

418030[/snapback]

awesome toy. Now it is seriously less appealing to the market on either

418277[/snapback]

ah, I really appreciate how you can formulate an arguement without falling on racial stereotypes. good for you!

418277[/snapback]

You know maybe, just maybe, some people actually like how this toy is turning out, and they do because they personally think it looks fantastic and not because of some irrational devotion to some guy in Japan they've never even met.

You know, finally seeing the colour scheme myself, I actually like it quite a bit. If anything, I'm horribly dissapointed that MP Prime doesn't look nearly as good next to this Starscream.

You know what else? I feel this way because I actually, honestly like the design.

And the real kicker, I don't like every single design Kawamori kicks out. I dislike the mecha in Eureka 7, and absolutely despise his designs from Aquarion.

Finally, and this might completely blow the minds of some people, but I sincerely doubt that Kawamori is forcing this revision of the character onto Takara. I imagine, in my crazy, messed up vision of reality, that Takara is quite possibly paying Kawamori money to make this toy, and maybe even preferes this version. I also imagine, in my mind, that if Takara did not like it, they would have said "no, thank you" and stuck to the first incarnation we'd all seen.

I know, I'm crazy right?

418302[/snapback]

Well said Radd, glad to see others like the design as well. GASP!!! :o:D

Chris

The fact that Shoji designed this and the Hybrid Prime had no impact on my decision to buy one. I wanted the Hybrid Prime simply because it looked really cool as a robot. I am quite disapointed that the vehicle mode is lacking a lot in the way of accuracy, but I just wanted the robot.

As for SS, I don't see anything wrong with the design at all. The colors work well with each other, and the design is pretty solid. In fact, the only gripe I have of SS is the feet. Shiny silver feet (if that's what color they are) just don't look right with the dullness of the other colors.

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

418277[/snapback]

I know, I'm crazy right?

418302[/snapback]

Well said Radd, glad to see others like the design as well. GASP!!! :o:D

Chris

418349[/snapback]

True, true.

Personally I find that the Kawamari version looks great and does more justice to the G1 SS. And I even thought of holding out for a Thundercracker repaint because SS's colors reminded me of bright candy. Lucky me B))

The fact that Shoji designed this and the Hybrid Prime had no impact on my decision to buy one. I wanted the Hybrid Prime simply because it looked really cool as a robot. I am quite disapointed that the vehicle mode is lacking a lot in the way of accuracy, but I just wanted the robot.

As for SS, I don't see anything wrong with the design at all. The colors work well with each other, and the design is pretty solid. In fact, the only gripe I have of SS is the feet. Shiny silver feet (if that's what color they are) just don't look right with the dullness of the other colors.

418381[/snapback]

Actually the feet color make alot of sense.....F-15 wise anyway. That area on the underside of an F-15 is actually that color and it looks like the feet just twist into position to become that section!

Chris

The fact that Shoji designed this and the Hybrid Prime had no impact on my decision to buy one.

418381[/snapback]

I didn't buy Hybrid Prime, not my cup of tea. Robot mode looks fantastic, Truck mode less so but I imagine it's because of the small size of the toy.

You know, though, I kinda wish they'd take the design of Hybrid Prime, and make an MP version. Same size as the old MP Prime we all know and love, making use of the extra size to get the truck mode right. THAT would look fantastic next to this Starscream.

The more I see it, the more I plan not to buy it, mainly because of the mold. The first version had such a wonderful robot mode, I thought it was better than MP Prime. And jet mode rocked. Now---it may be a cool transforming jet, but it's not Starscream. It merely has his headsculpt.

Hi David.

The comparative pics of the before & after Starscream have no doubt been posted, but as this is a long thread... Could anyone possibly post a side-by-side of the before & after of the sculpt? To be honest, I haven't scrutinized the few pictures I saw closely enough. About the only thing I (think) I noticed was that the lower legs now look slimmer.

On the issue of the colors, what I find unfortunate is that it isn't genuinely accurate to a real F-15's scheme, and it isn't true to either the original toy's colors OR the anime colors... It's essentially a "nothing" scheme.

Nevertheless, I'm still not worried: transforming toys are expensive to develop, and Takara will no doubt be looking to milk the market with different paint schemes, and I dare immagine that a mass-market version with corrected colors figures into those plans somewhere.

The BIG difference is the addition of conformal fuel tanks (FAST packs) and moving the tailbooms (with tailfins) to the hips, just like the YF-19. Lately they've been posing it so they're not so visible---but the legs look skinnier because it's all been moved to hang off the hips like the YF-19's wings. That is NOT Starscream's transformation nor robot mode. Also note that due to the conformal tanks and change in the tailboom configuration, the wingroot leading edge fairing is now mounted on the sides of his intakes, rather than being the "bottom points of the wings" in robot mode. See the big pieces moutned on the sides of the intakes? Shouldn't be there, should be down on the wings. The conformal tanks also add bits and pieces to his wrists/forearms, and the redesign also makes his feet smooth and curved and silver, instead of triangular/blocky/blue like they should be.

They can rotate the hip kibble backwards and out of the camera's view all they want, but they're still there.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Very strange, I must admit. The initial sculpt was actually more accurate.

The reason behind the changes are just plain puzzling. To be honest, I don't hate it, but I don't see why they felt the need to overhaul the sculpt like that... Looks like a classic case of not knowing when to leave well-enough alone.

Very strange, I must admit. The initial sculpt was actually more accurate.

The reason behind the changes are just plain puzzling. To be honest, I don't hate it, but I don't see why they felt the need to overhaul the sculpt like that... Looks like a classic case of not knowing when to leave well-enough alone.

418415[/snapback]

I thought it was because the crap hanging off the legs looked worse than the crap hanging off the hips, personally.

The BIG difference is the addition of conformal fuel tanks (FAST packs) and moving the tailbooms (with tailfins) to the hips, just like the YF-19.  Lately they've been posing it so they're not so visible---but the legs look skinnier because it's all been moved to hang off the hips like the YF-19's wings.  That is NOT Starscream's transformation nor robot mode.  Also note that due to the conformal tanks and change in the tailboom configuration, the wingroot leading edge fairing is now mounted on the sides of his intakes, rather than being the "bottom points of the wings" in robot mode.  See the big pieces moutned on the sides of the intakes?  Shouldn't be there, should be down on the wings.  The conformal tanks also add bits and pieces to his wrists/forearms, and the redesign also makes his feet smooth and curved and silver, instead of triangular/blocky/blue like they should be. 

They can rotate the hip kibble backwards and out of the camera's view all they want, but they're still there.

418414[/snapback]

blah blah, same old same old. Since SS's cartoon transformation is flat out IMPOSSIBLE without removing parts and leaving them off and since his cartoon form is only supperficially similar to his original toy mode, all this talk of "accuracy" is pretty bogus.

Actually they shouldn't be "silver"---that's titanium on the real thing, and it turns color from heat QUICKLY. Basically the color ranges from steel-brown to almost black. It gets so hot it can't be painted.

blah blah, same old same old. Since SS's cartoon transformation is flat out IMPOSSIBLE without removing parts and leaving them off and since his cartoon form is only supperficially similar to his original toy mode, all this talk of "accuracy" is pretty bogus.

Umm, it was 100% how I wanted/expected with the first version of the mold. The mold was DONE at that point IMHO, and should have been painted and boxed and sold the next week. Then they F'd up the mold. Then later F'd up the colors.

Overall, the first one flat out looked far more like both the toy and cartoon appearance than the current one. Adding conformal tanks "just because" certainly doesn't help make it look like people expect/want. People are fine with tailfins on the feet because that's how the toy was. But having the entire tailboom hang off the hip? Unlike any previous incarnation of Starscream, and not how people expect/want.

There's a big difference between "trying to hide pieces that mysteriously disappeared on TV" and "completely moving large chunks of the airplane". Moving the tailbooms to the hips is like moving Prime's rear wheels onto his shoulders. Yes, they disappeared on TV. But we accept/expect them to be on the legs on the toy because that's just how it has to be to have a working toy--not moved to some totally different and highly visible place on the robot that changes the entire look of the robot mode.

It's no different than if they'd put the nosecone on his crotch. Yes it "disappeared" on TV, but we expect it to remain fairly hidden or out of the way, not moved to some different location and prominently displayed.

The tailbooms never stood out at all on the first mold because they were an integral part of the leg---but now that they're an entirely separate piece mounted at an angle, they're really obvious. Also, the tailfins folded up nicely and remained close to the bottom of the leg on the first mold---now they just hang out there in space, with nothing to fold up next to--they're just there in the way.

THIS is a Masterpiece G1 Starscream, looking pretty darn near identical to how he did in the movie:

mpss.jpg

Edited by David Hingtgen

After seeing the side by side pics of the new and old, I like the first style better, the second rendition is really nice too, just less SS acurate. I wish I could get both styles. Either way, Im buying this bad boy.

Im with Eugimon on this, Im not expecting to much cartoon accuracy really. Its great looking and enough like SS to make most happy. If you can look at those pictures and not tell that its SS, even with out the colors, then you need your eyes checked.

People are fine with tailfins on the feet because that's how the toy was.  But having the entire tailboom hang off the hip?  Unlike any previous incarnation of Starscream, and not how people expect/want. 

Not ALL people were fine with tailfins on the feet.

The tailbooms never stood out at all on the first mold because they were an integral part of the leg---but now that they're an entirely separate piece mounted at an angle, they're really obvious. 

My first thought when I saw the old mold was "What the HELL is all that crap on the sides of his legs?" It didn't blend nicely at all.

Also, the tailfins folded up nicely and remained close to the bottom of the leg on the first mold---now they just hang out there in space, with nothing to fold up next to--they're just there in the way.

I agree if they folded down onto something, it'd be a lot better.

But they didn't fold up on the old version either. They just hung out into space from his legs instead of his hips.

There was a lot more "stuff" on the sides of the legs due to the fact that the G1 toy had it split up among 3 parts, with the majority on the h.stab piece---separating the h.stab from the tailboom led to there being a lot more of it "not with the stab". It has to go somewhere, and I think putting it on the sides of the legs (where it'd sort of be anyways) is a lot better than creating an entire new part/area attached to the hips. Also, I think the majority of fans (going by the places I visit) prefer the old one, for both the hip/leg kibble and certainly the intake kibble. I don't know of anyone who likes the root leading edge extensions (the intake kibble) in the new place. It was almost invisible where it was on the first mold (which is also where it is on the G1 mold), now it's visible from every angle, and sticks out straight back.

Also, the conformal tanks makes the hip kibble nearly twice as big as it'd be otherwise, as the conformal tanks run along the underside of the wing root and under the tailbooms for the majority of their length. If you got rid of the conformal tanks, the intake kibble and hip kibble would be a LOT less obvious. There's NO reason for it, in ONLY screws up the robot mode intakes, forearms, and hip kibble.

::edit:: Actually, now that I look closer, I think the root fairings had to be moved to the intake because there's no clearance for the conformal tank (and possible the fairings themselves) with the hip kibble. If it was moved back down, then the kibble can be moved back off the intakes. Or at least if you got rid of the conformal tanks, then there may be room for the fairings on the wings, with the hip kibble. Either way, moving the parts to the hips screwed up the intakes. It's never worth it to screw up multiple areas to make one part look better to some people. "Hey, let's screw up the forearms, elbows, biceps, intakes, and wings just to move the tailbooms to the hips"

PS---I keep wondering if the h.stabs couldn't be folded up one more step--due to the hinge design it looks like they could pivot realistically (like the ailerons) and that would allow them to be able to rotate (like the G1 toy) and then fold up--so they'd be folded up alongside the leg, rather than folded up behind it. They wouldn't stick out behind the leg anymore. Also I think something similar could be done for the v.stabs (as they are taller and stick out more), but it doesn't look designed that way---something akin to how the Yamato VF-11 fins fold, only fold forward instead of rearward, and stay outside instead of retracting inside. Say, rotate 45 degrees foward until they're partly alongside the legs, then they wouldn't stick out nearly as far, and they'd be covered up by the rotated/folded h.stabs.

PPS--my recolor of a recolor of the above pic (which isn't mine) for what I'd hoped Thundercracker would look like--deep sapphire metallic blue (it's really hard to do metallic when you're a newb to recoloring, best I could do):

Edited by David Hingtgen

Ah, The debate still rages on about where to put the stuff. :D

Maybe we should have a poll?

I personally don't like toys where the robot mode doesn't look humanoid enough to be practical. It's probably the reason why the animators simplified the robots in the first place (disapearing parts) so the character was more recognisable. In the second version of SS, he at least looks better to me at the sacrifice of trying to look like his toon.(which cheats)

The poll question should be: Is the SS character accuracy more important than the overall toy's appeal? (yes or no as options)

Part of the reason I like the new mirage alternator is because he looks neat and tidy. For me I'm ok if the transformation is a little different if it means it's an improvment in some way.

As for colour: I bet if hasbro do end up releasing it in the US, (will they?) they will put the toyish color back into it and ditch the realistic look. Maybe they will even try to milk two versions: one with low vis color and yf19 hips, and one with a crown and blocky g1 legs?

Now a question: Do you think Takara will try to do a trailer for MP Ultra Magnus? I figure if they are going to release the trailer for prime than UM should be done too, and have that transform onto his body as armor like in the movie? This would boost appeal for white inner robot ultra magnus and they could rerelease him as demand for ultra magnus increases with the release of his trailer. (sort of like how yamato re-released the hikaru 1j for the people who were going to get GBP)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I don't really care one way or the other with this toy, but I WILL say that his lower-leg and feet on the old version would have been deal breakers for me. They look horrible. Like an actual G1 transformer.

The new version has feet and lower legs that don't hurt my eyes to look at. So I say...

UPGRADE

Also, looking at the aft fuselage underside in fighter mode, the new one is vastly cleaned up and improved.

i second that david. i think this version of ss is cool. kyatsu

Umm, it was 100% how I wanted/expected with the first version of the mold. The mold was DONE at that point IMHO, and should have been painted and boxed and sold the next week. Then they F'd up the mold. Then later F'd up the colors.

Overall, the first one flat out looked far more like both the toy and cartoon appearance than the current one. Adding conformal tanks "just because" certainly doesn't help make it look like people expect/want. People are fine with tailfins on the feet because that's how the toy was. But having the entire tailboom hang off the hip? Unlike any previous incarnation of Starscream, and not how people expect/want.

There's a big difference between "trying to hide pieces that mysteriously disappeared on TV" and "completely moving large chunks of the airplane". Moving the tailbooms to the hips is like moving Prime's rear wheels onto his shoulders. Yes, they disappeared on TV. But we accept/expect them to be on the legs on the toy because that's just how it has to be to have a working toy--not moved to some totally different and highly visible place on the robot that changes the entire look of the robot mode.

It's no different than if they'd put the nosecone on his crotch. Yes it "disappeared" on TV, but we expect it to remain fairly hidden or out of the way, not moved to some different location and prominently displayed.

The tailbooms never stood out at all on the first mold because they were an integral part of the leg---but now that they're an entirely separate piece mounted at an angle, they're really obvious. Also, the tailfins folded up nicely and remained close to the bottom of the leg on the first mold---now they just hang out there in space, with nothing to fold up next to--they're just there in the way.

THIS is a Masterpiece G1 Starscream, looking pretty darn near identical to how he did in the movie:

mpss.jpg

418421[/snapback]

At least it doesn't have hip kibble that'd hit a wall he's standing 15 feet in front of... Nor intake kibble... And no TF looks good from behind, kind of like how none look good from beneath in vehicle mode. We're lucky to get TF's that look good from the side. First mold looks better at every angle in all modes, with the exception of fighter mode from below, which the second one is a BIT better. Second one has a kibbly robot mode from every angle.

That pic shows the original location of the intake kibble well---at the "bottom" of the wings. It's quite hidden there, and blends in well since it's not kibble at that point since it's inherently a part of the wing. (As it was on the G1 toy)

Personally, I'll take "big legs" (which people seemed to love on MP Prime) over "kibbles and bits all over the robot mode everywhere sticking out in every direction all in an effort to make sleeker legs with girly feet that completely changes the overall look of the character".

Basically--kibble only exists when it's separated from its "parent" piece. Not separated=not kibble. Separating out the tailboom and wing root extension creates kibble that previously didn't exist.

Edited by David Hingtgen

http://www.hostmypiconline.com/images/fk101-2.jpg

Yeah but it means the legs are more poseable on a stand. I bet all that extra weight is going to stress the joints and make him floppy. SK FTW! Starscream doesn't really need beefy legs anyway since he is a fighter and can just fly places.

If they can somehow transform those things at the back of the leg so they don't stick out, I would be happy with the first version. There has got to be a way they can do it to please both groups. I do like that the knees have a much more rounded refined look to them on the second though.

Your post was modded for a reason---don't quote huge images. The thread is currently image heavy as it is. Also, bad idea to un-mod a mod's mod. We've already had a complaint about your quoted image (some people REALLY hate them and PM the mods), I modded it the first time because of that.

Edited by David Hingtgen

There was a lot more "stuff" on the sides of the legs due to the fact that the G1 toy had it split up among 3 parts, with the majority on the h.stab piece---separating the h.stab from the tailboom led to there being a lot more of it "not with the stab".  It has to go somewhere, and I think putting it on the sides of the legs (where it'd sort of be anyways) is a lot better than creating an entire new part/area attached to the hips.

Fair enough.

Also, I think the majority of fans (going by the places I visit) prefer the old one, for both the hip/leg kibble and certainly the intake kibble.  I don't know of anyone who likes the root leading edge extensions (the intake kibble) in the new place.  It was almost invisible where it was on the first mold (which is also where it is on the G1 mold), now it's visible from every angle, and sticks out straight back. 

I THINK I see the intake kibble.

Between a lot of bad pictures and the fact that I'm not very familiar with airplanes, I've had a hard time pinning down exactly what part it is.

Also, the conformal tanks makes the hip kibble nearly twice as big as it'd be otherwise, as the conformal tanks run along the underside of the wing root and under the tailbooms for the majority of their length.  If you got rid of the conformal tanks, the intake kibble and hip kibble would be a LOT less obvious.  There's NO reason for it, in ONLY screws up the robot mode intakes, forearms, and hip kibble. 

Are the conformal tanks responsible for the rounded forearms too? That was one of the changes that bugged me.

PS---I keep wondering if the h.stabs couldn't be folded up one more step--due to the hinge design it looks like they could pivot realistically (like the ailerons) and that would allow them to be able to rotate (like the G1 toy) and then fold up--so they'd be folded up alongside the leg, rather than folded up behind it.  They wouldn't stick out behind the leg anymore.  Also I think something similar could be done for the v.stabs (as they are taller and stick out more), but it doesn't look designed that way---something akin to how the Yamato VF-11 fins fold, only fold forward instead of rearward, and stay outside instead of retracting inside.  Say, rotate 45 degrees foward until they're partly alongside the legs, then they wouldn't stick out nearly as far, and they'd be covered up by the rotated/folded h.stabs.

That'd improve the original a lot, and I'd probably agree about it being better.