Official Transformers Super Thread 3

Quick question: the first pic of the "new" Starscream mold had a totally different type of intake kibble. Different transformation or did they actually revise the mold between then and now? Because I liked the old way a lot better. Intake kibble's bad enough, but why'd they change it? They already had the conformal tanks at that point and they surely couldn't have changed it much without affecting the wing transformation. I'd lean towards different transformation, but it's consistently been the new way ever since.

Look here, the first pic of the new mold I think---it's like the intake kibble is rotated 90 degrees down and twisted 90 degrees out, so you're actually looking at the "back" of the conformal tank, and its leading edge is pointing up.

Quick question:  the first pic of the "new" Starscream mold had a totally different type of intake kibble.  Different transformation or did they actually revise the mold between then and now?  Because I liked the old way a lot better.  Intake kibble's bad enough, but why'd they change it?  They already had the conformal tanks at that point and they surely couldn't have changed it much without affecting the wing transformation.  I'd lean towards different transformation, but it's consistently been the new way ever since. 

Look here, the first pic of the new mold I think---it's like the intake kibble is rotated 90 degrees down and twisted 90 degrees out, so you're actually looking at the "back" of the conformal tank, and its leading edge is pointing up.

420840[/snapback]

In that picture it looks like the tanks are attached to his shoulders instead of the intakes. I agree it looks better there, Fit For Natalie is probably right, maybe there was a problem in transforming with it located there? :unsure:

Chris

Staring at the intake kibble pics side-by-side, I realized that it's actually a combination of a trick of the light/shadow, a different view angle, and the piece not rotated as much. It's actually the same, it just really looks different due to shadows etc. My mistake.

I was able to pick up the 6" Titanium WW Optimus Prime and Megatron this weekend at a Toys R Us. Walked on by the section and one freaking OP on the shelf, I looked at the very bottom shelf and there was Megs hiding at teh back. So happy to find them finally, the 3" Titaniums were all gone though, did want the Ark and maybe Unicron for my collection. Has anyone seen the 6" Jetfire anywhere?

Jetfire and Thundercracker are part of (or the entirety) of wave 2, which is not out yet. I would guess it'll be a month or more before those two start hitting. In all honesty, I'd love it if they halted the production and did a couple more months of tweaking to make them better before release. If they could lessen the amount of die-cast (hollow limbs instead of solid perhaps) and use stronger joints, that would fix most of the issues. The way it is I can't see Jetfire and TC being any less floppy than Prime and Megs.

And that upcoming Soundwave....oof. If those giant blocky legs are solid diecast, there is no way that hip connection (just like the one Megs uses) is going to hold together. Please, Hasbro, give these things the extra attention they deserve!

Jetfire and Thundercracker are part of (or the entirety) of wave 2, which is not out yet.  I would guess it'll be a month or more before those two start hitting.  In all honesty, I'd love it if they halted the production and did a couple more months of tweaking to make them better before release.  If they could lessen the amount of die-cast (hollow limbs instead of solid perhaps) and use stronger joints, that would fix most of the issues.  The way it is I can't see Jetfire and TC being any less floppy than Prime and Megs.

And that upcoming Soundwave....oof.  If those giant blocky legs are solid diecast, there is no way that hip connection (just like the one Megs uses) is going to hold together.  Please, Hasbro, give these things the extra attention they deserve!

421254[/snapback]

is this an impending fiasco? A debacle even? haha... i don't care if it has weak hip joints, I'm just in it for the tapes. I loved them little transforming tapes.

Jetfire and Thundercracker are part of (or the entirety) of wave 2, which is not out yet.  I would guess it'll be a month or more before those two start hitting.  In all honesty, I'd love it if they halted the production and did a couple more months of tweaking to make them better before release.  If they could lessen the amount of die-cast (hollow limbs instead of solid perhaps) and use stronger joints, that would fix most of the issues.  The way it is I can't see Jetfire and TC being any less floppy than Prime and Megs.

And that upcoming Soundwave....oof.  If those giant blocky legs are solid diecast, there is no way that hip connection (just like the one Megs uses) is going to hold together.  Please, Hasbro, give these things the extra attention they deserve!

421254[/snapback]

is this an impending fiasco? A debacle even? haha... i don't care if it has weak hip joints, I'm just in it for the tapes. I loved them little transforming tapes.

421296[/snapback]

I'm wondering if the tapes (or tape, only one has been seen) will be diecast as well, or if they'll be plastic. Hopefully plastic so their teensy little joints can actually function.

421254[/snapback]

421296[/snapback]

I'm wondering if the tapes (or tape, only one has been seen) will be diecast as well, or if they'll be plastic. Hopefully plastic so their teensy little joints can actually function.

421315[/snapback]

right there with you... if the're diecast, I'm looking into the near future and seeing floppy little rag dolls.

Fan2Fan updated their news on MP Starscream with what we probably already expected--namely, that Dr. Archeville will be included as a pilot for him. Link to a semi-painted proto of the good doctor is here:

http://www.fantofan.jp/news/mag/hyperhobby/hh9-2.jpg

421254[/snapback]

421296[/snapback]

421315[/snapback]

Soundwave is diecast but lazerbeak is plastic. Revealed during SDCC coverage on some tf forum

Fan2Fan updated their news on MP Starscream with what we probably already expected--namely, that Dr. Archeville will be included as a pilot for him.  Link to a semi-painted proto of the good doctor is here:

421654[/snapback]

Who is Dr Archeville?

Dr. Archeville was an evil human scientist who appeared in a few G1 episodes in its first season. Last we saw of him, as I recall, was that he'd been injured on Cybertron, and Starscream had turned him into a wheelchair-bound cyborg.

Fan2Fan updated their news on MP Starscream with what we probably already expected--namely, that Dr. Archeville will be included as a pilot for him.  Link to a semi-painted proto of the good doctor is here:

421654[/snapback]

Who is Dr Archeville?

421662[/snapback]

Stereotypical mad scientist with a metal saladbowl hat with eletrical gadgets sticking out of it and a propensity to show off an overbite whenever the animators of the cartoon got lazy. Was the prominent bad human in the second Transformers cartoon mini-series where Megatron brought Cybertron into orbit around Earth to produce energy from all the destruction. Paired with Starscream for a good chunk of time. Created 'hypno chips' that just needed to be applied like a nicotine patch to take control of people, including Sparkplug. Need you hear more? :p

Quick TF question, which is considered more canon for G1, the cartoon or the Marvel Comic?

421665[/snapback]

Really depends to whom you speak to. There's some strong camps either way, although most comic fans will admit to enjoying the cartoon even if they don't abide by some of it. Both the U.S. and U.K. Marvel comics (which both shared and had some contradictory continuity... don't ask) were originally good in their own right, but definitely had its ups and downs. It tended to be a bit more consistent at least a far as whether all the Autobots could fly, etc., but it did get really goofy at times too.

The cartoon is probably used more just because it's much more popular. But even the Transformers own later writers would draw upon both. For example, G1 Ravage appears in Beast Wars and certain G1-related locations are cartoon-based, yet Ravage can actually speak like the comic.

The only thing I'll say definitely is that THIS isn't canon, even if Ravage talks. :D

Quick TF question, which is considered more canon for G1, the cartoon or the Marvel Comic?

421665[/snapback]

The only thing I'll say definitely is that THIS isn't canon, even if Ravage talks. :D

421672[/snapback]

Dear god, I actually REMEMBER that book.

Dang the Titanium line is nice. So far I picked up the Battlestar Galactica versions, and some fo teh capital ships from Star Wars. I'm trying to find The Ark still since they were all missing when I saw WW Optimus Prime and Megatron which were the only ones left when I saw this new line at the store. Waiting for Jetfire, Thundercracker, Scourge, Soundwave, and Hot Rod. I just wish they made the 3" Predaking into the 6" version.

Maybe I missed it, but it seems no-one here is commenting on the "childhood-rape" that is the MP-3 colour scheme.

From that same set of links, here's the pic.

421911[/snapback]

You missed it.

Low-Vis Starscream's been beaten to death in between new mold VS old mold discussions.

There WILL be a cartoon-accurate paintjob, but Takara's releasing it as a fan club-exclusive thing. So pay to join the fanclub, then mail-order Cartoon Starscream.

No word on a Hasbro release yet. So we don't know what paintjob they're using, or even if they're bringing it over.

I'm not really all that impressed with the Titanium Soundwave. Looking at both forms (and I realize that he may be/is mistransformed as a robot) it just seems like a low rate crappy toy. Too blocky and non-symetrical in more areas than I'd like to count. I guess before I jump to any conclusions I'll wait for a review from someone who doens't have their head up their ass while transforming him.

I'm actually kind of glad that I don't like the current MP-03. That saves me quite a chunk of change.

I'll wait for the Skywarp repaint. Unless they try and make it look super realistic like Starscream. Then again, I think that his paintjob would transfer into the real world better than any of the others. We'll have to see.

Until then, it's Classics all the way baby.

I'm actually kind of glad that I don't like the current MP-03. That saves me quite a chunk of change.

I'll wait for the Skywarp repaint.

Yeah, me too. I've always preferred Skywarp - cool black look. Are they going to reissue the MPC Starscream as Skywarp? Is this confirmed? or just a rumour?

:)

I'll wait for the Skywarp repaint.

Yeah, me too. I've always preferred Skywarp - cool black look. Are they going to reissue the MPC Starscream as Skywarp? Is this confirmed? or just a rumour?

:)

422006[/snapback]

Well, they'd be fools not to. They recolored Prime into Ultra Magnus, so why not do the same with Screamer? Easy money for them.

You honestly have to ask if Takara will repaint that? When they re-released the G1 seekers, they made clear ghost THUNDERCRACKER in addition to "ghost" Starscream. And Sunstorm. And clear Sunstorm. And black Starscream. And TV-color Starscream. And I think clear black Starscream. When they do a half-dozen non-canon repaints of a mold, you can bet they'll do the canon ones.

And c'mon---they made "unarmored Ultra Magnus" from MP-01.

Not making SW and TC would be like Yamato not making Max and Milia's VF-1J's once they had done Hikaru's...

Also, Takara likes making black repaints of everything. Even if they do no other repaints, they'll do a black one. And Skywarp is already SUPPOSED to be black.

Even if for some unfathomable reason "the king of repaints" decided not to do Skywarp, they'd probably do "Black Starscream". Which is pretty close. And considering the pinky colors used on MP-03, it'd be REALLY close to SW lavender.

Cool. Good to hear. To be honest, I've only been back onto the TF scene the last 3 months. And I really haven't paid that much attention to the new releases ... been spending a lot of time on eBay trying to acquire classic G1 gestalt sets. Which I am happy to report, am almost done. Also have tried a couple of TF Alternator figures ...