Which Console? Part 2!

Gaijin

We are closer to launch of the next 2 big ones...has your answer changed?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. We are closer to launch of the next 2 big ones...has your answer changed?

• XBox 360
    • Sony Playstation 3
    • Nintendo Rev
    • I want more than one
    • Screw the new consoles, I love my Gameboy Advance

What should you be spending that money at 30? Hell, by 30, you should be able to afford that without parents is the logic I use. :D

Sony's starting to remind of of the dumb kid in class who'd copy off other students' test papers. First they aped the 360's Xbox Live (right down to the achievements), and now they're talking about how innovative they are for ripping off the Wii's motion-sensitive controllers.

And after ragging on Microsoft for having two 360 skus, they decided they'd rather copy that page from Microsoft's playbook, too. And if I wasn't too keen on the PS3 before, those price tags are definately going to have me content to pick up a Wii to complement my 360 as my only new hardware this fall. I mean, $100 more than the good 360 package gets me the shitty PS3 with no HDMI and no place to put my memory cards, or I can shell out six-freaking-hundred dollars for the good one. I mean, if you want any games with your PS3, you're going to have to take out a second mortgage...

EDIT: I just noticed that Sony wasn't content enough to rip off the Wii with their controller, they had to put a guide button on it that, aside from the PlayStation logo instead of an X, is the Guide button off the 360 controller, and the R2 and L2 buttons are supposed to be more like Xbox or Dreamcast triggers. Thank god Sony has to compete with Microsoft AND Nintendo. If they only had one competitor, E3 would be all about how Sony innovated the PS3 by stealing a bunch of Microsoft/Nintendo hardware, rebranded it, and is selling it for double.

Edited by mikeszekely

And I'm going to have to break your thumb if you don't put it back down.

397901[/snapback]

***Quickly hides thumbs*** :D

I for the most part have liked Sony's family of controllers going back to the original 1994 design. The one thing I think they could change is the shoulder button arrangement so that R2 and L2 become triggers like on the Xbox1 and 360 controllers... after 5 months of heavy use, the 360 controller has become my most favorite controller of any system.

397915[/snapback]

I'm on the other side. I hate the original digital pad, the DualShock, and the DualShock 2.

As for the controller, I haven't seen the pictures yet, but I will give a thumbs up to Sony for keeping the Dual Shock intact.

397899[/snapback]

What is there to congratulate them about? For sticking with their inferior controller design? The Playstation controller has been garbage since the day it came out; it was bested by the Saturn's controller for 2D games and by the N64's for 3D (notice how Sony had to add on the dual sticks to make it passable at 3D games). Their decision to keep it around for the PS2 was pure laziness, and a sign that as top dog they've lost any desire to innovate.

The d-pad is garbage, the face buttons feel horrible, it has no triggers. It's a controller that hasn't worked since day one, and SOny sticking more and more crap on (or into) it isn't going to change that.

BTW, has anyone notice all the features that are left out of the $499 package?

397915[/snapback]

You mean this?

http://digg.com/gaming/Sony_PS3_%24499US_v..._have_HDMI_port

Also, I'm not certain if the plague has spread here yet, but I'm already seeing lots of people in other forums claiming this announcement about the PS3 controller as proof-positive on the downfall of Nintendo, saying that the PS3 controller will do everything the Wii controller does.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all I've seen so far is that the PS3 controller will have tilt functionality, basically like some GBA games have, and not the full motion/pointer functionality of the Wii remote.

BTW, has anyone notice all the features that are left out of the $499 package?

397915[/snapback]

See, that's just a really crappy thing to do, albeit a smart business decision. At least the 360 stripped-down verion was just missing some peripherals and extra add-ons, and not a reduced package. Everyone rags on Microsoft's business tactics, but this is just a money-grab by Sony.

This, plus the price, plus the fact that there are no platform-exclusive titles that appeal to me means that there will be no PS3 for me.

Dropping the boomerang was a bad move, I have the old EB exclusive boomerang controller for my PS-1 and let me tell you guys, there is no better controller for racing/driving of flight shooter games on the market (except for a steering wheel for racing :p). I think they shoulda put those controllers in people's hands before scrapping the idea. I hope they manufacture them as an option, I'll buy.

Now that game system prices are hovering around the $500.00 mark, the extra hundred is frankly justifiable if Blue-Ray does win the war, if not, I think the comparrison to the Panasonic 3DO is a fair one. (I actually pre-paid for a 3DO all those years ago, scrimping and saving from my job at Burger King, and trust me, that was a lot of money back then, I think that system cost me $300ish).

I have a feeling that the pricepoint is going to damage Sony's market share, it will bolster Nintendo as the most cost effective (presumably) of the "Next Gen" systems and give.

At the end of the day, none of this crap really matters. DEVELOPER SUPPORT. We can debate, we can chant the mantra of our favorite system, but it doesn't matter The best games dictate which system is going to be desired. Lots of game are multi-platform these days, but it is the exclusives that drawn people back and forth from console to console. Sony seems to still have some of the big names buttoned up and if they keep the Square-Enix, Capcom, Konami's rolling out exciting exclusive content for their consoles then they will keep me buying their machines. Microsoft has not had a single exclusive game that has made me want to to X-box. Halo? I play FPS's on my computer, console FPS's can't draw me away from that.

Anyhow, I plan to buy a PS3 and a Wii Maybe someday if the 360 gets something stunning I will think about it, at this point it isn't gonna happen.

There's been a lot of criticism of the PS3 (much of it deserved), but one thing that Sony might need some slack on is the motion sensitive controller. If this article is correct, motion sensitivity for the PS3 was announced almost 3 years ago! Though the sensitivity wasn't necessarily built into the control, you can see Sony was looking in that direction. But if Sony had indeed been thinking about doing this for awhile, I think they should have mention this at the last E3 and beat Nintendo to the punch.

http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/4815/

Edited by Apollo Leader

Well THAT was unexpected.   SquareEnix announces FF 13 for PS3.  Yes, 13, not 12.  

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149412.html  (scroll down to 2PM)

I'm interested--more by that that 12 certainly.

397813[/snapback]

Well, it looks like the PS3 is official the Fanboy Console of Choice. Sony fanboys and FF fanboys (and girls)... unite!

397867[/snapback]

Nomura returns :lol:

The 499 version of the PS3 should at least come with an HDMI output. What's the point of having a Bluray player without HDMI?

Sony, just change the D-pad already. It sucks.

I guess I'll be sticking with the PSP and PS2 awhile longer. 600.00 is alot to dump on a videogame system. That's more than my mortgage lol

Very pricy.

So does the price for the PS3 include a half a dozen games? I could afford the system but it be a while before I could to get any games for it. I guess I'll just wait another year. By that time it will half price and a lot of titles will be on the shelves.

Very pricy.

So does the price for the PS3 include a half a dozen games?  I could afford the system but it be a while before I could to get any games for it.  I guess I'll just wait another year.  By that time it will half price and a lot of titles will be on the shelves.

398026[/snapback]

And the defective first batch that burn out after a year will be gone :)

EDIT: I just noticed that Sony wasn't content enough to rip off the Wii with their controller, they had to put a guide button on it that, aside from the PlayStation logo instead of an X, is the Guide button off the 360 controller, and the R2 and L2 buttons are supposed to be more like Xbox or Dreamcast triggers.  Thank god Sony has to compete with Microsoft AND Nintendo.  If they only had one competitor, E3 would be all about how Sony innovated the PS3 by stealing a bunch of Microsoft/Nintendo hardware, rebranded it, and is selling it for double.

397928[/snapback]

Are we talking about Buttons now?..,.. of all thing, Button? <_<

First of all there was always a center button the the PS dual shocks controllers it was call the Analog on and off button, They just figure it's best to use that button for somethig else instead.

And their R2 and L2 button was just reshaped to look more like a trigger,, They were already pressure sensitive ever since Dual Shock 2 for PS2.

I can understand you saying Sony copying Nintendo, but copying Mircosoft hardware? come on here, you joking me? Out of all of them Mirosoft is copying the most,, since they were the late commers in the Console market. DVD-drive from PS2, DVD for games from Ps2, able to play DVD video from Ps2, having a remote control from Ps2, Backward compablity from PS2, usb slot from Ps2 ,, flipping the Console sideways from Ps2, twin analog sticks from Ps2, built in rumble from Ps2 and Ps1, Trigger buttons from DC, shoulder buttons from Nintendo/Sony/Sega, internet/network from Sega. now Microsoft is plainn a HD-DVD add-on for their Xbox360, so is that from Ps3 similar to Blu ray or similar to a DVD drive add-on planned for Dreamcast, or perhaps the CD-rom drive for old Sega?

Should I add in the color Black from Sega/Sony , and the color offwhile from Sega DC?,, poo, the list can go on and on. Oh,, maybe Mirosoft copy my username too sine it has 360 at the end :D

Someone is bound to copy someone else.. as long as it's not exactly the same then it should be fine.

Nintendo is about to have their Press conference in about 1 hour so Let just wait and see what they'll say.

Edited by F360°

What should you be spending that money at 30?  Hell, by 30, you should be able to afford that without parents is the logic I use. :D

397924[/snapback]

Bills, for the win, over a $600 gaming console.

I don't understand all the hate for the PS2 controller. It's got all the great features of the SNES controller, plus 2 extra shoulder buttons & analog sticks! :)

398036[/snapback]

Thank you. :)

EDIT: I just noticed that Sony wasn't content enough to rip off the Wii with their controller, they had to put a guide button on it that, aside from the PlayStation logo instead of an X, is the Guide button off the 360 controller, and the R2 and L2 buttons are supposed to be more like Xbox or Dreamcast triggers.  Thank god Sony has to compete with Microsoft AND Nintendo.  If they only had one competitor, E3 would be all about how Sony innovated the PS3 by stealing a bunch of Microsoft/Nintendo hardware, rebranded it, and is selling it for double.

397928[/snapback]

Are we talking about Buttons now?..,.. of all thing, Button? <_<

First of all there was always a center button the the PS dual shocks controllers it was call the Analog on and off button, They just figure it's best to use that button for somethig else instead.

And their R2 and L2 button was just reshaped to look more like a trigger,, They were already pressure sensitive ever since Dual Shock 2 for PS2.

I can understand you saying Sony copying Nintendo, but copying Mircosoft hardware? come on here, you joking me? Out of all of them Mirosoft is copying the most,, since they were the late commers in the Console market. DVD-drive from PS2, DVD for games from Ps2, able to play DVD video from Ps2, having a remote control from Ps2, Backward compablity from PS2, usb slot from Ps2 ,, flipping the Console sideways from Ps2, twin analog sticks from Ps2, built in rumble from Ps2 and Ps1, Trigger buttons from DC, shoulder buttons from Nintendo/Sony/Sega, internet/network from Sega. now Microsoft is plainn a HD-DVD add-on for their Xbox360, so is that from Ps3 similar to Blu ray or similar to a DVD drive add-on planned for Dreamcast, or perhaps the CD-rom drive for old Sega?

Should I add in the color Black from Sega/Sony , and the color offwhile from Sega DC?,, poo, the list can go on and on. Oh,, maybe Mirosoft copy my username too sine it has 360 at the end :D

398030[/snapback]

But the 360 guide button was something unique and innovative that had never been done on a console controller before and undoubtedly Sony's engineers were inspired to incorporate such a feature on the final PS3 controller. The "Boomerang" did not have this feature.

Miyamoto started off Nintendo's conference dressed up like an orchestra conductor using the Wii controller to conduct a virtual band. Then him and another guy started playing the Steel Talon game and a racing game. A few games briefly shown include a new Mario game, a new pilotwings game, and a new Metroid game. Still watching the video live right now.

I don't understand all the hate for the PS2 controller. It's got all the great features of the SNES controller, plus 2 extra shoulder buttons & analog sticks! :)

398036[/snapback]

If you play fighting games with a pad you`d understand :)

398056[/snapback]

Ya 2D or 3D fighters both suck with the standard PS2 controller. The Logitech wireless controller has a good D-pad.

Zelda will be released on the GC and the Wii

10:02: Reggie back on stage on elevated platform. Nintendo will launch two different versions of Zelda - one for Wii, one for GC. The game will come out for both GC and Wii on the same day: the Wii launch day.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149663

Edited by dejr8bud

I missed about 30 minutes of the Nintendo conference (between the Twighlight and tennis demos), but overall I liked what I saw. Scouring around Gamespot and 1up.com, I get the impression that there is more enthusiasm for this system then the PS3. If I end up getting this system, this means I'll have to out and rebuy a copy of Ikarugu and Mario Kart Double Dash! :D

In about 40 minutes, we'll see what Microsoft has on its plate... hopefully the much rumored 2 minute trailer for the next Halo! :D

Edited by Apollo Leader

Nintendo is looking GOOOOOOOOOD so far.

If the price tag is set at $250 I'll probably pick one up, way better than what they're offering the PS3 for.

I'm thinking after this E3 (not now, wait until we've seen everything) there should be a new poll. I mean, I've gone from piqued curioisity over the Revolution, to "I'm buying a Wii the day it launches" already, and tomorrow there will be 27 games playable at the convention.

I must also admit that I never expected the PS3 to launch at $600 (besides the hard drive, read back a page or two to see what else has been gimped on the $500 version, like the 360 Core system it does not seem worth getting). I expected $450, or for them to take the price hit and match the 360's price.

But man, the second motion sensor in the analogue attachment, and the video footage of people playing Zelda and Red Steel. The speaker and rumble features in the controller. Even that Tennis game looked like fun.

They're not slouching in the DS department, either. Starfox DS? Sign me up!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Microsoft shows. This E3 is just full of surprises.

Here's a list of some of the games coming to Xbox Live Arcade!

Pac-Man, Contra, Galaga, Contra, Sonic, Defender, SF II Hyper Fighting, Time Pilot, Ultra Mortal Kombat 3, Scramble. Track and Field, Time Pilot, Contra, Super Contra, Paperboy, Rally-X, Frogger

I wonder if Contra and Super Contra are the arcade versions? That would be so sweat! :D

BTW, take the link below and keep hitting refresh for updates. :)

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/09/engadget...xbox-360-e3-ev/

Edited by Apollo Leader

There's been a lot of criticism of the PS3 (much of it deserved), but one thing that Sony might need some slack on is the motion sensitive controller.  If this article is correct, motion sensitivity for the PS3 was announced almost 3 years ago!  Though the sensitivity wasn't necessarily built into the control, you can see Sony was looking in that direction.  But if Sony had indeed been thinking about doing this for awhile, I think they should have mention this at the last E3 and beat Nintendo to the punch.

http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/4815/

397993[/snapback]

Ok, then they stole it from Nintendo via the Powerglove. You remember, all the badass kid had it (see pic) :lol:

Yeah, motion-sensing is hardly a new idea, but it's been Nintendo's main emphasis, so it could be considered an underhanded ploy.

QUOTE(Uxi @ May 9 2006, 12:49 AM)

What should you be spending that money at 30?  Hell, by 30, you should be able to afford that without parents is the logic I use.

Bills, for the win, over a $600 gaming console.

Not to mention the adults here might have better things to do, making 600+ seem ridiculous for a distraction, you young'n!

post-320-1147205212.jpg

Grand Theft Auto IV on Xbox 360!

Scroll all the way to the botom (yeah I'm watching Gamestop and that other site suimultaneously). Besides Halo 3, Microsoft has definitely made a coup here with getting GTA IV with exclusive downloadable episodic materials.

(I reread things again and I think its just some of the download stuff that will be exclusive, but still its cool :) )

Edited by Apollo Leader