Which Console? Part 2!

Gaijin

We are closer to launch of the next 2 big ones...has your answer changed?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. We are closer to launch of the next 2 big ones...has your answer changed?

• XBox 360
    • Sony Playstation 3
    • Nintendo Rev
    • I want more than one
    • Screw the new consoles, I love my Gameboy Advance

How does that show anything? The fact that there are other FF:TSW related videos and tech demos negates the faintest possibility of the one I've seen? I've seen the video again within the past year or two. It still had the FF:TSW test shots in it. I'm not thinking of the nVidia tech demo.

http://media.psx.ign.com/articles/067/067139/vids_1.html

IGN still has the video. First one. The old man head, it was a test shot from the early developement of FF:TSW. It was circulated a lot around the computer animation labs at my art school before it even showed up in the PS2 videos.

406150[/snapback]

I can't seem to see the clip.. but let's say it shows a OLD Man form the Early developement of FF TSW. but how does that end up with a statement like this?

the PS2 would be able to produce graphics on the same level as the Final Fantasy movie

beside I would asume whatevers on that pre development clips is no where near the quality of the Final product, FF TSW.

So I think you are just putting words in Sony's mouth, because even Sony wouldn't say a statement like that.

Of course, I don't doubt the difference in quality between HD and SD. However, it seems to me that most people still have SD television sets. I picked up an HD set recently (or rather, the fiancee did), but no one else I know has one. No one else I know is planning to get one.

Of course, with the cheaper PS3's lack of HDMI support...

Still, if you hooked up a Wii, a 360, and the PS3 to SD sets...will the Wii really look a generation behind? Or will the gap be more similar to how the PS2 falls behind the Gamecube and 360?

406052[/snapback]

Probably not a signifigant diffrence. It'll really kick in in the next year or 2, as HD adoption becomes more common.

You'll be surprise that lots of people do like the Dual Shock design.  My controllor for PC is a Sony Dual Shock with a Usb adapter :)

406112[/snapback]

I hate that everyone is knocking that PoS off. Used to be that no matter WHAT you wanted a controller to do, someone made it. Now all anyone makes is DualShocks and DualShocks with 6 face buttons.

The Dual Shock isn't terrible. It's a decent, and very useable controller.

LIES! :p

Seriously, it's got a lousy d-pad, and it's just uncomfortable to hold.

If the d-pad is irrelevant, they need to get rid of it or at least swap it with the analog stick, since that's where it's most comfortable to put a thumb.

If the d-pad IS relevant, they need to fix it.

However, it's not particularly ergonomic, and better designs have since come and gone.

Ergonomics is pretty important in a gamepad. If it's uncomfortable to use, it's a bad design.

The most likely reason they decided to try a new controller design for the PS3 in the first place was probably to improve the ergonomics of the design, make it more comfortable to hold. Whether or not the 'boomarang' controller achieved that, we'll never know due to gamer technophobia.

It probably did succeed to some degree.

It looked funny, sure. But once you thought about things, it was suspiciously similar to the GameCube pad, which is a far more comfortable device.

Gamers are, oddly enough, very technophobic when it comes to anything besides graphics, sound, and including a hard drive in their consoles. Controller design is one of those especially touchy subjects. Anything that strays too far from the security blanket gamers are so used to, and there's a panic.

No kidding.

Large portions of current controller design can be traced directly to the NES.

And the NES pad was a half-assed attempt at best. There was NO consideration for ergonomics or usability, just an attempt to make a game controller that looked like a Game&Watch.

Select and start weren't even intended to be USED outside of the title screen. In fact, the FamiCom completely lacks those buttons on the 2nd-player controller(which is why only the first player can pause Super Mario Brothers, if you were wondering).

The rest... is from the SNES, which while better planned than the NES controller was STILL just an attempt to upgrade a fundamentally flawed device.

But Sony's just gluing bits onto the SNES pad. And MS is just emulating Sony this round because people were too busy whining about how the XBox1 pad wasn't a DualShock to play the games.

Lots of people don't even know how to correctly hold an N64 controller(or simply refuse to). It's really that bad.

The N64 controller is actually mildly confusing.

It's not really obvious when you look at it.

'S another one of those bad design decisions.

So I think you are just putting words in Sony's mouth, because even Sony wouldn't say a statement like that.

406156[/snapback]

So, you're saying that because the PS2 could never come close to FF:TSW graphics (and by this time we're all well aware that it can't), that Sony could not make boastful claims about their system using FF:TSW test shots in with their game "demos" to hype the power of their console?

The same people that said "Yes yes, this demo is running on an actual PS2!" about the FF8 demo, when it turned out that it was running on a beefed up PS2 chipset connected an SGI machine? The same people that said the Killzone 2 trailer was actual in-game footage, when the people who made the trailer were saying it was FMV?

I'd like to introduce you to a man named Ken Katsuragi. Sony executive and part time stand up comic.

The Nintendo Revolution looks like it will be most fun for me. I haven't decided if I want to get Xbox360 or PS3 as my 2nd console. The Revolution is the only one I'm getting before a price drop though. PS3 has MGS4 though and that's a big hook, I haven't seen anything that interesting for 360 yet.

Different people have different hands. The Dual Shock may be uncomfortable for some, but fine for others. The D-Pad has got to go though. I hate the D-pad on the dual shocks but I'm pretty much fine with the rest of it.

Logitech's Cordless Action for the PS2 is the most comfortable one I've used in a long time with a usabe D-Pad. Only the weight of the batteries holds it back.

406156[/snapback]

So, you're saying that because the PS2 could never come close to FF:TSW graphics (and by this time we're all well aware that it can't), that Sony could not make boastful claims about their system using FF:TSW test shots in with their game "demos" to hype the power of their console?

The same people that said "Yes yes, this demo is running on an actual PS2!" about the FF8 demo, when it turned out that it was running on a beefed up PS2 chipset connected an SGI machine? The same people that said the Killzone 2 trailer was actual in-game footage, when the people who made the trailer were saying it was FMV?

I'd like to introduce you to a man named Ken Katsuragi. Sony executive and part time stand up comic.

406164[/snapback]

A tech demo is simply that. A tech demo. The Dreamcast could do amazing hair and facial expressions on the hardware proven in Shenmue but only if it was a close up of a head....the actual game of course consists of more than a stationary head.

As for the "smoke and mirrors"....isn't grumbling about company boastings getting old? It's gonna happen, and I doubt people expected PS2 games to look like the CGI in FF8, or the XBox to give them a nice "Woody" from Toy Story 2 in real time. You know and I know and hell, even Joe Six pack knows what the games look like when they start up a game.

I really shouldn't have to tell you that there were no PS2 games available at the time Sony was showing off those demos. The average gamer did expect the games to look that good. Web forums, dorm rooms, bus stops were all virtually caked in the praise of what Sony had shown at E3 in 1999, and anticipation of games equally as good looking. Many chuckled at how Sega had dropped the ball again, that the PS2 would blow the Dreamcast out the water with its graphics.

Of course, it's even worse when the "tech demos" are not even being run on the machine they're supposed to be showing off, or when those "demos" turn out to be pre-rendered FMV.

Again, I'm not saying that Sony is the only company that does this. The sting of Microsoft's "bullshots" from last E3 (*edit: E3 2006, not this just passed E3), and how the games actually looked when the real in-game screenshots finally appeared is still fresh.

And who can forget Nintendo's ex-President Hiroshi Yamauchi? He said things that kept little gamers awake at night...in fear.

Is it getting old to call companies on this sort of thing? I don't believe so, not so long as they keep doing it (Killzone 2 anyone? How about some Madden'06?), and the general public eats it up like so much delicious, delicious candy.

Edited by Radd

The same people that said "Yes yes, this demo is running on an actual PS2!" about the FF8 demo, when it turned out that it was running on a beefed up PS2 chipset connected an SGI machine?

Actually, it WAS rendered solely by a more or less standard PS2 graphics chip.

Said chip was also hooked to a solid gigabyte of RAM, though.

So it's what the PS2 COULD render if it had massively more RAM and no serious bottlenecks in the system design. Which is so diffrent from an actual PS2 that it doesn't really count, but still...

[The same people that said the Killzone 2 trailer was actual in-game footage, when the people who made the trailer were saying it was FMV?

Don't forget "This is running on a real PS3!," followed almost immediatly by nVidia's "No it isn't, we haven't even finished designing the PS3 graphics chip, much less manufactured any."

406164[/snapback]

I'm sort of curious how much of the idiocy is really Kutaragi's call and how much is hoisted on him by higher-ups.

The man can't be TOO bad, he hated the original PS controller(there's like a dozen diffrent prototypes of varying designs, most of which were made because Kutaragi was raising hell about the SNES+random bits controller they wanted to, and ultimately did, ship).

He also designed the SNES sound hardware, just so Nintendo wouldn't use another crappy PSG like the FamiCom(Sony was actually somewhat annoyed when they found out he'd started a project without telling them. Especially since it was a project explicitly intended to be sold to another company, and to a company that hadn't even expressed interest on top of everything.).

So either he's snapped in recent years, or he's just spewing whatever BS the guys above him pass down.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/con...ign_id=rss_tech

Rummaging stuff up, and found this. He hates DRM, so that's one more plus on the guy.

He's also got lousy people skills, which explains some of his problems.

Also seems Sony's turning a profit outside the games division again, though it's still over a third of their profits.