Which Console? Part 2!

Gaijin

We are closer to launch of the next 2 big ones...has your answer changed?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. We are closer to launch of the next 2 big ones...has your answer changed?

• XBox 360
    • Sony Playstation 3
    • Nintendo Rev
    • I want more than one
    • Screw the new consoles, I love my Gameboy Advance

So Nintendo selling Wii (weed) to kids now? :lol:

I can just see it now.. school kid talking about Wii in school or on the bus and will get misunderstand.

Mommy can you buy Wii for me? I want the black one. :lol::lol:

OMG I can't believe they name it Wii.. even though I understand their logic into the 2 i's = we for together or something but come on, Wii? It would be better if they name it Vii (V) instead

Why "V"? cause it sounds better then We and wouldn't get confused with WEED and in a way it's nintendo's 5th home enterntainment system.,, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, REV/Wii

Edited by F360°

Just plain stupid IMHO.  I mean, even the N64's codename (Dolphin) would have been better for a final name than that. 

What's next, Puu?

394751[/snapback]

Nintendo 64 = Ultra 64 = Project Reality (Ultra 64 was the final name, but due to some legal issue in Japan or parts of Asia, the Ultra name couldn't be used and in the end Nintendo decided to use the same name for all markets)

Gamecube = Dolphin

Wii = Revolution

The thing in the Wii/Revolution's case is that Nintendo has been showing the system for a year now and has had the name "Revolution" slapped on to it all the time and the gaming public has had all this time to absorb that in as being the identity of the system. That is where I think Nintendo has made a mistake. But as for the name "Wii" itself, though it sounds pretty silly and people are going to be having lots of fun with its name (lots of play on words, penis and urine jokes, etc.), one has to give Nintendo credit for coming up with a name that now has the gaming community talking about their system like crazy.

Gamecube = Dolphin

Wii = Revolution

The thing in the Wii/Revolution's case is that Nintendo has been showing the system for a year now and has had the name "Revolution" slapped on to it all the time and the gaming public has had all this time to absorb that in as being the identity of the system.  That is where I think Nintendo has made a mistake.  But as for the name "Wii" itself, though it sounds pretty silly and people are going to be having lots of fun with its name (lots of play on words, penis and urine jokes, etc.), one has to give Nintendo credit for coming up with a name that now has the gaming community talking about their system like crazy.

394794[/snapback]

WEed 'The Revolution' :lol:

While I can understand the derision, and agree from a marketing standpoint the name is likely a big mistake, on a more important level I don't care if they name it the Pretty Princess Polka Playset and only sell it in pink and purple, so long as the games are there.

Whoops, got my systems mixed up. I always think of Ultra 64 as being the official JP name, since it came SO close to being and you saw so many things written that way. And especially since every SNES game was "Super xyz" and so many N64 games were the sequel "Ultra xyz."

What other project names do we know?

I recall Katana, Dural, and I think Neptune, for the Saturn/DC/DC respectively.

X360 was Xenon of course, and I noticed DOA4 even has that in the backgrounds.

I change my stance as the name being a marketing mistake. I must admit I'm no expert in the field, and I've heard arguments for and against that seem equally sound.

I do, however, remain steadfast in my opinion that I have no opinion on the name itself and only really care about the games. E3 is coming up (Next weekend!) and that's where my interest remains focused. I find the Wii's controller to be one of the most intriguing innovations in the gaming industry in quite a while. I'm interested to see if the potential shows through in the games we'll be seeing next weekend.

The more interesting 360 games also seem to finally be on the way, and I'm always happy to hear more on the PS3 as well, and the E3 at the beginning of a new console generation is always very interesting.

Whoops, got my systems mixed up.  I always think of Ultra 64 as being the official JP name, since it came SO close to being and you saw so many things written that way.  And especially since every  SNES game was "Super xyz" and so many N64 games were the sequel "Ultra xyz."

What other project names do we know?

I recall Katana, Dural, and I think Neptune, for the Saturn/DC/DC respectively. 

X360 was Xenon of course, and I noticed DOA4 even has that in the backgrounds.

394970[/snapback]

Katana was the final Dreamcast codename.

I believe the Saturn developed under Saturn, based on Sega's prior history.

Neptune was, if I recall, a Genesis with an integrated 32x.

32x was Mars.

The DS was... DS. Why Nintendo KEPT this dev name and abandoned Revolution is beyond me.

I hope the final Wii logo uses the classic 1-player and 2-player logos from the old arcade games. Given the name is officially intended to emphasize the multiplayer aspect, it'd make sense.

Edited by JB0

Wii is a retarded name... I wish MS would have decided to prop up Sega or something. I always liked Sega's consoles better than their Nintendo equivalents... and Sega would have a clue about the Japanese market, which MS can't find.

I still like my 360 and await the better games to join Blazin Angels and Oblivion and GRAW amongst the rest, but I am still awaiting PS3 and Blu-Ray the most.

Is the exact pronunciation "we" or more like "wheee"?  The double-i spelling makes me want to lengthen the sound...

395346[/snapback]

Nintendo's pretty much emphasised that, despite the spelling (which is innovative, because the Wii is innovative), the word should be "we." As in, "We want a new Smash Bros."

The Wii has fueled a ridiculous ammount of innuendo and toilet humor at work since they announced the name. It's good for that, at least.

"Wanna come to my house and see my Wii? It's cool, up to four people can play with my Wii at once."

"Be sure to take a break when playing with your Wii for long periods, as playing with your Wii can cause fatigue."

"Use a soft cloth when cleaning your Wii."

"My Wii is blue!"

"Some people like their Wiis laying down, but I set my Wii erect."

"Bring your Wii over, and we'll link our Wiis together for some two-player action."

As for the DS being the Ds's codename, it wasnt, the Ds's code name was nitro, beleve it or not. you can see remnants of the code names for nintendo hardware in the hardware model number for the system in question, atleast the first generation of said hardware. take for example the gamecube, the hardware model numbers for all GC models begin with DOL(DOL for dolphin), the first DS's hardware model is NTR-001(Ds lite is difffrent, i think it starts with DSL instead of NTR).

etherway, Wii while a strange name for marketing, represents the only console im really intrested in right now, I will however rent/borrow a Ps3 for MGS4 only. E3 this year should be very intresting.

As for the DS being the Ds's codename, it wasnt, the Ds's code name was nitro, beleve it or not. you can see remnants of the code names for nintendo hardware in the hardware model number for the system in question, atleast the first generation of said hardware. take for example the gamecube, the hardware model numbers for all GC models begin with DOL(DOL for dolphin), the first DS's hardware model is NTR-001(Ds lite is difffrent, i think it starts with DSL instead of NTR).

The DS name WAS presented as a dev name for a while. It may not've been the FIRST dev name, but it was A dev name.

"Wanna come to my house and see my Wii? It's cool, up to four people can play with my Wii at once."

"Be sure to take a break when playing with your Wii for long periods, as playing with your Wii can cause fatigue."

"Use a soft cloth when cleaning your Wii."

"My Wii is blue!"

"Some people like their Wiis laying down, but I set my Wii erect."

"Bring your Wii over, and we'll link our Wiis together for some two-player action."

395390[/snapback]

"Want to smoke a bowl of Wii?

Edited by Oihan

I hope the final Wii logo uses the classic 1-player and 2-player logos from the old arcade games. Given the name is officially intended to emphasize the multiplayer aspect, it'd make sense.

395119[/snapback]

wiiwallpaper.jpg

A fan-made logo, but neat nonetheless.

395119[/snapback]

wiiwallpaper.jpg

A fan-made logo, but neat nonetheless.

395554[/snapback]

I LOVE IT!

The big show (E3) is next week! :D Sony is to have their PS3 press conference on Monday with Nintendo (Wii) and Microsoft (360) doing their thing on Tuesday.

Figured it was about time to bump this thread back up. :) It will be interesting to see what Sony and Nintendo does/does not show for their new systems.

Edited by Apollo Leader

Just picked up a 360. It's heavier than I thought it would be, but that also makes it quite stable when I stand it up on its edge use it that way. Right now, I only have DoA 4, but the graphics on that are amazing. Especially the water effects in the levels.

But I think my favourite gimmick is the ability to turn the console on and off using the wireless control. Such a nifty little trick that I enjoy waaaay too much :)

I haven't been that enamoured with the Call of Duty demos in the store, so it may be a rental for me, and I'm eagerly awaiting Spinter Cell 4, which I will probably buy on launch day, if not pre-order it ahead of time.

So far, I can't say anything bad about the system. Anyone have any reccomendations for any upcoming games?