Which Console? Part 2!

Gaijin

We are closer to launch of the next 2 big ones...has your answer changed?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. We are closer to launch of the next 2 big ones...has your answer changed?

• XBox 360
    • Sony Playstation 3
    • Nintendo Rev
    • I want more than one
    • Screw the new consoles, I love my Gameboy Advance

Sadly, MGS4 is actually not a must-have game for me. I never even played 3.

You should at least rent 3, as it's one of the all-time greatest gaming experiences...ever!

385291[/snapback]

I agreed

385434[/snapback]

I will third that. It really was great and gave us a lot of insight for a pre-quel. Unlike the SW Ep III approach, this prequel told us things we didn't truly know and boosts the series into truly legendary for me.

Edited by Gaijin

Sadly, MGS4 is actually not a must-have game for me. I never even played 3.

You should at least rent 3, as it's one of the all-time greatest gaming experiences...ever!

385291[/snapback]

I agreed

385434[/snapback]

I will third that. It really was great and gave us a lot of insight for a pre-quel. Unlike the SW Ep III approach, this prequel told us things we didn't truly know and boosts the series into truly legendary for me.

385450[/snapback]

35a6929d7vw.jpg

They agree as well.

It really was great and gave us a lot of insight for a pre-quel. Unlike the SW Ep III approach, this prequel told us things we didn't truly know and boosts the series into truly legendary for me.

See, therein lies the problem. I'm really not a fan of the series. I played the first Solid on the PSX, and I liked it, sure. I played the second one, too, when Substance hit the Xbox. And again, I did enjoy it, but I really didn't dwell on the story (especially the ending). As a prequel, I really never cared about what Snake Eater brought the story.

As far as gameplay goes, I might check it out. I just finished Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, and I need something to play until Ace Combat Zero. Something besides Burnout Revenge, anyway.

I played the second one, too, when Substance hit the Xbox.  And again, I did enjoy it...

Even Solid Snake: Pro Skater?

I need to pick Substance up JUST for that.

As a prequel, I really never cared about what Snake Eater brought the story.

Subsistence brings Metal Gear 1 and 2 to the US legally. The MSX versions not the watered-down NES port and half-assed adaptation.

It really was great and gave us a lot of insight for a pre-quel. Unlike the SW Ep III approach, this prequel told us things we didn't truly know and boosts the series into truly legendary for me.

See, therein lies the problem. I'm really not a fan of the series. I played the first Solid on the PSX, and I liked it, sure. I played the second one, too, when Substance hit the Xbox. And again, I did enjoy it, but I really didn't dwell on the story (especially the ending). As a prequel, I really never cared about what Snake Eater brought the story.

As far as gameplay goes, I might check it out. I just finished Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, and I need something to play until Ace Combat Zero. Something besides Burnout Revenge, anyway.

385508[/snapback]

If you didn't like MGS's story than yeah I guess it wouldn't appeal to you as much...or it could change your opinion of it. I loved teh series but I skipped Snake Eater as the whole prequel thing never really appeals to me. Then I heard the reviews and almost picked it up but just waited since Subsistence was coming. I'm glad I did because the ending made me appreciate the whole series that much more.

And having the original Metal Gears on there is great as JBO mentioned. I never had the chance to play them so it's a nice addition.

Edited by Gaijin

And having the original Metal Gears on there is great as JBO mentioned.  I never had the chance to play them so it's a nice addition.

385570[/snapback]

I reet warez'ed 'em. Really should legalize 'em nwo that it's an option.

Well, like I said, I have the time, so Subsistance might be a worthwhile purchase. But the fact still remains, as someone who's not really that into the series, MGS4 isn't realistically going to sell me on the PS3, nor are any of the other announced exclusives.

No, I have a feeling the game that will get me to fork over my hard-earned cash will be God of War 3.

Amusing incompetence on the part of Sega's arcade division...

"Metal Slug 6, on Sega’s AW Hardware System, is the 7th installment of the comical and combat-filled Metal Slug series, but the first to land on any arcade platform."

I'm sure SNK will be glad to know that their long-running series has finally made it into the arcades, a full decade after they put it there.

The press release can be found here.

Well darn!! :o This definatly has me in "Can't wait for E3!!!" fanboy mode. However I nearly fully agree that the move is a sound one because this last generation of games didn't even start to peak until 4-5 years into the consoles cycle. But with this I gotta ask "Why doesn't the new Zelda look even remotly as good as RE4 does??"

Insiders stress that Revolution runs on an extension of the Gekko and Flipper architectures that powered GameCube, which is why studios who worked on GCN will have no problem making the transition to the new machine, they say. IBM's "Broadway" CPU is clocked at 729MHz, according to updated Nintendo documentation......

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699118p1.html

Maybe a bit off subject, but has anyone ever gone this crazy for a console  :lol:

N64

386094[/snapback]

Not like that. I mean, if that clip was any longer, you would have seen the part where the kid's head explodes from sheer excitement.

But I did get a little crazy with the Xbox 360. I bought mine before we closed up from our midnight sale, snuck out a side door, buckled it into the passenger seat, then drove nearly double the posted speed limit so I could hurry up and get it home before someone robbed me at gunpoint so they could sell my precious on eBay...

Someone sneaked a video of the Warhawk Demo at GDC:  Get it before it's gone.

http://studentweb.uwstout.edu/kapsz...warhawk_GDC.zip

Some "video" pulled from GDC...you kinda get the idea though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7CNYSbOVxU...dc%202006%20ps3

386464[/snapback]

What's the flight game that looks like it's on speed?

386653[/snapback]

That's the Warhawk demo b ut the video has been sped up quite a bit, like someone's "fast forwarding" it. I saw the original one...very smooth and awesome water effects.

How long is the lifespan of new consoles gonna be? Shorter every time?

If hardware keeps evolving and improving in such a way it's kinda frustrating.

I'd rather have something built modular for easy and cheap upgrading.

386767[/snapback]

The last generation is still going and is entering year 6 for the PS2 and 5 for the GC and XBox(though MS pulled first party support for the XBox when 360 was released) and you'll see major support for the next couple of years...the PSX had games coming out for close to it's 10 year life total and can still buy the hardware (only recently stopped manufacturing). When they say "10 year lifespan" they actually are pretty close in that respect. Sony hasn't dropped the ball there and Nintendo has been fairly decent in that respect as well. It wouldn't be as profitable if it were less than that anyways (well, maybe for the big N it would).

Edited by Gaijin

386767[/snapback]

It may seem like that, but it's several things making it look that way. The shortening list of released games per year, the higher cost of the console, and serials like Madden 2006 all don't give you the feeling of console 'depth' that we had gotten with early Nintendo, Sega, and others.

That aside the beginning of that demo is hot! I loved Warhawk on the PS1. It was the type of game that was fast fun and easier to play, yet had enough difficulty to make you come back and play it again. Something that later games like ZOE(ps2) have failed to do.

Probably 5 years again. That's been the rule for the NES era, the SNES/Genesis Era, the PS1 era, and the PS2 era.

We've done modular. It's even more frustrating.

Partially because cheap upgrades don't happen.

SegaCD? 300 at launch, with limited support.

32x? 200 at launch, with no support.

Most signifigantly, as it's the most fully-realized modular system, the IBM PC.

A gaming-grade computer will likely require a 200$ upgrade every year or 2.

Once the system becomes easily upgradable, game developers quit optimizing the software and just start requiring upgrades. Doom 3 is a rarity in that it was optimized, and WOULD run decently on something besides the last year's worth of hardware.

Maybe computers should follow the console principle..

Sometimes I get irritated buying stuff that supposed to met quality requirments but does NOT.

I read an article on the web about some snes games with extra chips inside the gamecartridge to get specific 2d effects. I don't see that going happen with CD's... too bad.

From a gaming perspective, replacing consoles every few years is far cheaper than replacing gaming systems. My current computer rig (3.2P4 with 2GB of DDR400, overclocked 6800GT, etc is still pretty good, but pricing all that out shows quite a bit of sticker shock, even compared to the likes of my premium XBOX 360.

More and more of the serious gamers are going to dual SLI 7800GTXs, etc. Eventually, we'll see games that will not only shine with this, but 'need it' for settings on 'high.'

If there are actually decreasing numbers of releases for the consoles (which is the first time I've heard that, actually, but I won't bother to dispute or support), I think that would be offset by the backwards compatibility. The original Knights of the Old Republic looks quite good on my XBOX 360, for example... PS3 having full backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS games creates an enormous library.

Edited by Uxi

Maybe computers should follow the console principle..

Sometimes I get irritated buying stuff that supposed to met quality requirments but does NOT.

I read an article on the web about some snes games with extra chips inside the gamecartridge to get specific 2d effects. I don't see that going happen with CD's... too bad.

386841[/snapback]

It could be done with something similar to the PSP's UMD cartridges. Personally, I was hoping for a flash chip mounted in the UMD shell to avoid the need for an external save media.

And the SNES coprocessors were a bandaid. The SNES' CPU was massively underpowered for the tasks it was asked to do, resulting in slowdown and/or restricted gameplay concepts without additional horsepower.

The Genesis didn't use coprocessors because it's CPU was powerful enough that it didn't need them. The notable exception to this rule is Virtua Racing.

From a gaming perspective, replacing consoles every few years is far cheaper than replacing gaming systems.  My current computer rig (3.2P4 with 2GB of DDR400, overclocked 6800GT, etc is still pretty good, but pricing all that out shows quite a bit of sticker shock, even compared to the likes of my premium XBOX 360. 

More and more of the serious gamers are going to dual SLI 7800GTXs, etc.  Eventually, we'll see games that will not only shine with this, but 'need it' for settings on 'high.'

Like FEAR? I've heard it's possible to make even the highest-end setup currently available grind to a halt with that one.

If there are actually decreasing numbers of releases for the consoles (which is the first time I've heard that, actually, but I won't bother to dispute or support), I think that would be offset by the backwards compatibility.  The original Knights of the Old Republic looks quite good on my XBOX 360, for example... PS3 having full backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS games creates an enormous library.

386852[/snapback]

I don't have release counts handy, but if the library size IS declining, it's due to the massive jumps in development costs in recent years.

That actually puts the Revolution in a stronger position. It's been designed as simple hardware to code for, while the XBox 360.and PS3(especially the PS3) are nightmarish monsters because of their processor setups.

Yeah development costs really do impact the amount of releases per year. Remember some of the costs that Square had to pay out for the post SNES FF games? $$$

Another factor is the smaller amount of studios making games now. Many studios have to have several games in thier pipeline or have massive profits from their releases to keep afloat. Remember all of those Euro built games? Few European studios are still around.

Even another factor is development time. Look how long HL2 took to come out! FF10 & FF12 were the same way. They took stupid amounts of time to make! Unfortunately Transformers: Armada completely disproves the need for more then 18 months of development time in order to make a solid game.

--------------

I just heard today that the Rev is only gonna have support for the non-HDTV crowd. Is this right???

I just heard today that the Rev is only gonna have support for the non-HDTV crowd. Is this right???

386944[/snapback]

That's the word on the street. Part of Nintendo's effort to keep the price down.

Personally, I think it's a smart move. Nintendo is aiming at a $150-$250 price tag, most people don't own an HDTV yet and aren't likely to for another few years, and the Revolution is rumoured not to be nearly as graphics intensive as its competition, relying instead on the new controller to introduce a new style of gameplay.

386944[/snapback]

That's the word on the street. Part of Nintendo's effort to keep the price down.

Personally, I think it's a smart move. Nintendo is aiming at a $150-$250 price tag, most people don't own an HDTV yet and aren't likely to for another few years, and the Revolution is rumoured not to be nearly as graphics intensive as its competition, relying instead on the new controller to introduce a new style of gameplay.

386977[/snapback]

The phrasing is odd.

It sort of implies the Rev won't work on an HD set.

So just to clarify... it'll WORK on an HD set, but only at 640*480.

386944[/snapback]

386977[/snapback]

It might have 480p, but I think it's a bad move not to have full HD. Almost all my GC games have 480p, and they look great, as opposed to my PS2, which has about 0.